1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want YOU the community to help contribute to the new Spiral Rep titles!

Please, check this thread.

Dismiss Notice
  5. My fellow ningen! It's time for another Dragon Ball Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. [​IMG]

We are going to give one month of coloured usernames to a couple of NF users.

Please, check NFs Valentine's Day Event

Dismiss Notice

7. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

My Hero Academia Chapter 212 Spoilers/Discussion

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Xiammes, Dec 28, 2018.

1. 1Person Well-Known Member

Shouldve scrapped the flashbacks and given us more hellboy

2. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    i felt like this chapter is Hori giving us crumbs of everything and not focusing on anything at all. I wish he could cut the 13-14 page chap weekly btw it might have effected the chapter and story flow. I'd rather he just take 1 week break as painful as the wait can be...

3. Tayimus Number One

Like I said, with it being a perfect world. Obviously, the world isn't perfect, thus we got fewer pages. Read carefully.

He was in absolutely NO danger, and she wasn't able to help with the distress or pain one iota. The fuck is having him float gonna do?!

Fake drama. You may excuse it. I won't. Simple as that.

Side note, to all those that hated Shinsou wondering what he should say, what would you think if he'd asked "You look like you need help!"? It would have echoed Deku telling Bakugou in Chapter One that he looked like he needed help. I think that would have been a great call back. Make it even better by having Deku scream out "Yes!"

Oooh, I actually got some chills there... :bury

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  4. OS The Entity

Yeah he’s flying around screaming in tears and getting flung into structures in our imaginations
    its not fake it’s there. You’re just ignoring it for some unknown reason

5. Tayimus Number One

All of which paled in comparison to the arm, which Ochako can do jack squat about. Give me a break. :kobeha

You're refusing to see the truth is all. I'm not. That's the difference between me and you. :Mshad

6. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Chapter wasn't bad, but it suffers from all the 13 pages we have had recently and the pacing isn't where it needs to be. I want to see Ochako, Shinso and Monoma's thoughts after this.

7. Yak banned

VA soon or we riot :catr00d:catgun

8. BlueDemon On A Mission From God

It looks like it's the continuation from the last chapter, which was also short. Reading them together should make up for it-äs shortcoming. Heh.

9. OS The Entity

It’s about taking action despite the odds. And she stopped him anyway too so idk what you mean by jack squat

10. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Ochako was reacting to this situation much like Izuki reacted to seeing Bakugo in the Sludge monster. Someone needed to do something and she made the choice to do it. On top of that, she kept a cool head and took control of the situation, calming Deku down and ordering an obviously stunned Shinso into action.

I was quite pleased with Ochako's performance because she was acting as a Hero and not out of something pairing related (though I hope to see something to nudge the ship along come of it). She was focusing on saving someone in need, not specifically Deku. She handled the situation like a pro. I liked that.
    Yeah, these short ten second chapters are murder! They are sure to present better when read altogether in the tankubon.

11. Tayimus Number One

I mean the same shit I said at the beginning. :bookerskully

Aside from the emboldened, I agree with everything. I just understand that her jumping up to save Deku means ABSOLUTELY nothing. The difference between the two instances is that when Deku jumped in to save Bakugou, Baku was literally gonna die right there, and Deku gave him precious few seconds. Deku made some difference, even without the the advent of All Might's assistance. Here, though, Ochako makes Deku float--what does that do? Deku's arm, the main issue, is still thrashing about, and Ochako can do nothing for that. I do not ignore this as you and OS are doing.

That's why I rearranged the sequence of events, having the characters actions actually have some weight instead of this fake drama. C'mon now, Shinsou having an existential crisis over what to ask Deku is ridiculous. You and OS can lap that crap up, I choose not to.

That is literally the saving grace of the chapter for me. Notice that I still kept Ochako's introspection in my sequence. Cause I liked it.

12. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

It was obvious that Deku's quirk was out of control and hurling him into the surrounding structures. He was in immediate danger and Ochako responded. It was a gut response, just like Deku's Sludge monster attack. And I do think that she calmed Deku down. He was still in pain, but he responded to her, telling her that he could not control his quirk and was able to focus enough through his pain to then answer Shinso.

I don't think Ochako snatched onto Deku to float him, per se (though that may have taken some of the momentum away from the black strands that were thrashing him around). I think she went to his side to do exactly what she accomplished--to somehow take control of the situation and get Deku out of that predicament (possibly without an idea as to how to do it until she spied Shinso watching from below). Shinso had been startled by the unexpected behavior of One For All and was just standing there in shock until Ochako called out to him.

I didn't say anything about Shinso's 'existential crisis'. Obviously Hiro wanted to highlight Shinso's personal growth as far as how he now viewed himself. It could have been done in a different way, but I could see where Hori was going with it and wasn't all that bothered. I find the chapters covering ten seconds each to be the most irritating--takes me back to The Longest Day of a war I've ever seen in Naruto. :psyduck

13. Indra I can't stop eating

Yeah the chapter felt incredibly bland but something interesting was happening.

I don't understand how that works :catthinks

14. Tayimus Number One

In danger from what, exactly? From being hurtled into "surrounding structures"? You and OS have this incredibly naive notion that every reader is supposed to flinch if Deku, the one who's taken the most damage in the entire fucking series aside from MAYBE All Might, gets thrown into some buildings.

I can't impress upon you how incorrect you are. It's like you're letting the narrative trick you into believing that Deku cannot take that kind of damage while taking a dump on the toilet. No, the most important thing about this whole scene was Deku's arm being wild and seemingly even rotating backwards, NOT being flung into buildings with minimal damage at best.

I can't even bring myself to respond to the rest of your post. It's just so...I dunno. It's like you're projecting. Because you and OS are satisfied, everyone else is supposed to be. Not so.

I think it's because you've (and a lot of us, I suppose) have become desensitized. Deku's been through quite a fair bit of dangerous situations, so when you see a situation where the reader is supposed to get the impression that the "stakes" are high, but it logically doesn't measure up to what the reader has seen in the past, they end up just being...whelmed.

15. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

I Simultaneously like the chapter and scratching my head at the same time.

16. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

I almost forgot this happened. His own powers literally came to life to tell him he sucks:wow.

17. Dellinger Charismatic Awesome

Hori seriously needs to readjust his schedule. It seriously affects his manga. Both quality wise and production wise. Multiple 13 page chapters and he's barely into the 200s chapters.

18. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Don't look at it from my point of view--look at it from Ochako's. She (and everyone watching on the sidelines) sees what is happening to Deku, sees that it is out of control and a great danger to both Deku and those around him. This manifestation of OFA is nothing that anyone has ever seen before and there is no telling what kind of damage it might do. Ochako simply couldn't stand there and do nothing--she felt compelled to act.
    Deku is a durable little guy, but he is not indestructible. Again, from the viewpoint of everyone watching OFA was attacking both Deku and everyone else in the area and in a manner not seen before. To assume that Deku could handle this strange and destructive new manifestation and that it was not possibly doing serious harm to him would make no sense. Even All Might and the teachers realize that he's in trouble and needs immediate help. Ochako comes to the same conclusion and acts rather than wait for assistance.

Consequently, because you and a few others are dissatisfied, everyone is supposed to be. Not so.

What I'm dissatisfied with the pace we're getting. The final fight in this arc has been slowed down to a crawl with each short chapter covering mere seconds in the action. I think that is taking away from the overall feeling and action, and that it will look better when pieced together in the tonkubon and later in the anime.

19. Tayimus Number One

I didn't strike up a conversation with either of you, though. There's the difference. Not that you shouldn't strike up a conversation, but I am pointing out the projection you're very clearly doing.

The rest of your post is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of my criticism, and try as I might, I just don't have the patience for this shit again. For you or OS. Find some other sucker.

20. OS The Entity

your criticism is that someone did what a hero would do but you downplay it.

21. ~VK~ The King

yeah i don't understand why she needed to hold on to him. she could've just told shinsou to do his thing without holding on and having to run the risk of getting impaled by deku's black stuff( :maybe)

she was more endanger of him than he was of himself.

her actions, just like most of this chapter, were simply unnecessary.

22. Tayimus Number One

What do you think of changing the order of events? Having Ochako jumping up to save Deku at the end, when he's falling and in clear danger of dying, instead of when he's just being pulled along by his quirk?

23. ~VK~ The King

24. Tayimus Number One

I think Horikoshi fucked up on the sequence, believing that readers would universally feel...something towards the situation. That's clearly not what happened. I read that chapter, and I understand and appreciate what Horikoshi was going for, but I can see that the execution didn't quite work.

I liked Ochako's development. It's not what I wanted, but it's something. Maybe I'll hate it upon deeper inspection, but for now I like it. However, that's beside my point that her direct involvement in the rescue could have been better utilized towards the end.

Shinsou...fucking Hell, it was a complete mistake to have the guy question what to ask Deku. Took me right out the moment that Horikoshi was trying to construct.

And what happened to Monoma? Dude disappeared much the same way the rest of Deku's team did.

25. ~VK~ The King

would be funny if he saw this as an opportunity to quietly get rid of mina and mineta and still go for the W in spite of the circumstances :lmao

26. ~VK~ The King

all might should ask shinsou to brainwash him too afterwards. just to see what would happen.

27. Detective ★★★★★★★

Canada
    tfw you realize that Hellboy was a former OFA user

It is pretty clear when the character design inspiration came from

:bury

28. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

All of you guys are missing the point here. I was right in not having faith in Monoma:hestonpls. Vindication is mine bitches:datass. In seriousness I agree though changing the order of some of this would make the chapter better. Like I can see that Izuku is in pain and stopping him from slamming into random buildings is important. At the same time though slamming through buildings and getting "hurt" isn't impressive anymore. Can't really blame people for not feeling impact from that when Izuku's training sessions has him as a walking repair bill destroying everything.It would have worked better if they focused more on Izuku's pain and needing help immediately rather than all of the other fluff surrounding it. Ochako got something, im glad it isn't "lol you like deku right guyzz" for the thousandth time I hope they expand on that. Maybe start asking questions or something(optimistic I know) Also for the sake of Shinso's dignity I'm going to pretend this situation never happened and leave it at that :scust.

29. Captain Boldman Well-Known Member

Even the best mangas have their off days:kanyeshrug

30. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Difficult to draw many conclusions about any of the other characters given that we're being shown ten second segments of the occurring scene. Really can't say at this point what Monoma or any of the others are up to. The most we can assume is that he is taking cover (his quirk has to be hands on after all--and I suspect he had copied the expansion quirk of his colleague given that he was in the process of tossing objects in the air when OFA went haywire). We might yet see something from him--or not. And of course the teachers are heading for the action.

For me at least (and I would assume those within the story as well), the fact that OFA is slamming Deku into things isn't as drastic as those tendrils attacking both him and everything around him. That is the obvious source of his pain and because it is something new and unknown (who knows what it is doing and how it might affect him) I think that is what Hori wanted everyone (readers and characters alike) to focus on.

Very happy that this wasn't another pairing tease, but I do hope that it goes toward building a foundation for the IzuOcha relationship. If it is to be, it shouldn't be tacked onto the end as was done in Naruto.

I'm indifferent. Whatever is motivating him is okay with me.