1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

My Hero Academia S3 Episode 17

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Xiammes, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

For anyone who hasn't read the manga, I suggest posting in this thread that I am linking. This section will be filled with spoilers from manga only readers, even from just thread titles, so these threads are for the manga readers who want to discuss the anime as it pertains to the manga.

Tags:
  2. Dean Ambrose Forums Vacation

3. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

2/3rds filler, which is fine, next episode will probably be the same or maybe more even.

4. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

Filler episode, but... I'm... kinda looking forward to it?

Like, it's weird, I normally hate filler, but I feel like MHAs filler is a perfect opportunity to expand and flesh out some characters that we didn't get to see, so I'm all for it.

5. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

When they started focusing on Momo's group, I was kinda eh and her rival chick was pretty eh, but they ultimately did a solid job with Momo as the focus and they tied in her growth with Aizawa's gushing over Deku and Bakugo in a way that felt totally natural and in tune with the flow of the canon. So yeah, really good stuff.

My only bummer was that I wish they did actual sakuga with Deku dodging shit as those were some of my favorite non-Camie panels in this arc. But oh well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  6. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

This episode confirms once again that Todoroki is just the Neji that will be left in the dust by Deku and Bakugo at some point

7. Soca The Mud and the Oil Super Moderator

Trinidad and Tobago
    Bah I'm not a fan of the filler. Hopefully next week is better.

8. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Not bad for a filler, more Momo is always welcomed.

9. Fry J Vigilant

Decent filler. That IQ quirk was cool. Momo and gang scenes were nice. My boy Seiji creating meatwads :bury

10. The Big G King Of The Monsters

For a second i thought the episode was going to take a wild turn

11. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

Good filler. Liked that they extended the Bakusquad scenes with Shishikura guy.

12. Indra I can't stop eating

I can't take much more of this :catsad

-------------

Seriously did Bakugou become a second Midoriya? I forgot what has happened to the T since this Arc, but I don't remember Bakugou inspiring people to change for the better.

:catthinks

Seems kinda shoehorned if that's the case, but it was pretty obvious from the get go that Bakugou was Deku's "rival".

Whether Todoroki becomes irrelevant b/c of this is uncertain. There's no way his powers is gonna be shafted considering how strong he (and Endeavor are ). Maybe to Deku at prime, but definitely not Bakugou.

They should be around the same level, if not one has the upper-hand by a smidge.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  13. RAGING BONER Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Puerto Rico
    close, but not quite as bad as the denial that fans had in part 1 over Sasuke having power equal to Naruto's_and eclipsing everyone else.

14. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

Todoroki has proven to be strong enough to hold his own, once he starts learning to create projectiles and objects with his fire and ice like Endeavor can, he's gonna be a beast. :bury

Also, he needs to start taking Endeavors workout routine to heart, and get JACKED. :ufdup

15. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

A bit sad that all the boys get to see boobies but not my man Mineta. He deserves just a peek with all the humiliation and pain he has gone through by the girls.

People are saying Todo is a Neji but I dont feel that is the case. He is more like a Jiren. He is stronger than everyone else right now BUT he doesnt have the family bonds or relationships or 'heart' to go above and beyond like Goku(Midoriya) or Baku(Vegeta). He is stronger overall 1 on 1 but he doesnt play well in groups and will never have that final "Hero" moment that im sure everyone else will get in time. Even his attitude to surpass his Father isnt all there. He just seems bored and uncaring most of the time.

As for Baku.....The poster above is right.mWhen the fuk did he ever inspire anyone? It has always been AM or Deku. MY ONLY GUESS is they were talking about
    1) When he got captured and all of class A teamed up and faced real consequences and casualties to save him. This showed commmittment and helped everyone grow up as a student
    OR
    2) During the training of their ultimate moves they saw Baku going all out and saw how battle genius he was and it steived to make them work harder for their own ultimates

16. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

Logically speaking I figure i could make this in its own thread but whatever. Todo is like FlameOn from FantasticFour mixed with Iceman from X-Men. Iceman is Omega Level later in the series in certain iterations and FlameOn has powers hotter than the sun. I dont believe Todo will excel that far and get that powerful BUT what movesets do you think he can logically have?

-Ice Projectiles/Ice Spears: He should be able to logically create and shoot throwing big ass ice spears. This would give him great range advantage and also be terribly tough to deal with for guys who aren't fast or can counter his ice
    -Ice harden:His ice walls are great but they only come from one direction. He should be able to learn how to create ice fotresses around him and harden that ice even further or probably harden is a bad word but reinforce the ice to defend against stronger attacks
    -Ice slide: We already see him doing this. He can ride his ice like Iceman
    -Turning water/vapor/atmosphere into an Ice Shatter: Iceman (the stronger versions) can take water and vapor into the air all around him (think of Storm) and turn them into a hail of Ice onto the enemy so it essentially makes 99% of places a battle zone in favor of Iceman

To take a break for a moment. Todo can only do ONE thing at one time, correct? Like he never attacks with his ice AND defends at the same time, right? So maybe he needs to learn how to SIMULTANEOUSLY use ice/fire BUT also be able to learn how to attack/defend using the same power as well unless he is always going to do the whole
    a)ice defends/fire attacks
    b)fire defends/ice attacks
    But maybe in the future he can do
    c) ice defends/ice attacks/fire to keep warm/fire attacks to compensate for the ice attacks that aren't working.
    So in essence he will be doing 4 things simultaneously with his powers

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  17. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

Yea that part was weird because it didn't make sense to me. She still has her right hand open and great now she is in CQC with you LOL. How does that even remotely help Momo to handcuff herself to the enemy? If anything she should have made a light grade tazer to stun the FUCK outta her.
    That exact frame is definitely going to be mimicked in doujins for sure

18. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

-Fire javelins aka like his Father which is the same thing as Ice Spears
    -I don't think he ever uses his fire for melting objects like magma/lava. Maybe his fire just isn't hot enough yet since he is young but something like Acid girl. If he is ever stuck in a position where he can't go on the offensive he can create an ice barrier to block himself from oncoming attacks then surround himself in hot fire around himself/his feet and just dip into the ground like a sink hole. Unsure what this move would be called but I figure it should work
    -Fire Punches in CQC if he fights guys who are quicker than he is and get into his personal space
    -In all honestly now that I think about it he should be able to concentrate his fire into a beam like how Bakugou did his armor piercer move. Todo should be also able to do this and create a Kamehameha wave that also pierces through things with enough heat/pressure/force/chakra behind it
    -Okay so this is probably thinking outside the box but in SasukevItachi fight Sasuke used his Katons to create cloud currents or however it is scientifically to create thunder clouds. Maybe Todo could also use his powers to affect nature to his advantage as well.

I'll think of some more movesets but as of right now can't think of anymore.
    I need to see more of the anime but I feel tornado guy has it in for Todoroki since he always keeps leering at him. Would be an interseting fight to see. 2 guys who have quirks that deal with nature (somewhat) against one another

19. BlueDemon Demon

How do they still have fillers in a season that's tailored to certain amount of chapters?! Wasn't that being done in order to avoid fillers?

That said, are they at least good fillers? And how much filler is there usually per episode?

20. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Per episode? Usually none to very little. Everything added to episodes usually expands upon the canon content. For example, during the sports festival the anime expanded a lot of fights, fights like Momo vs Tokoyami, Mina vs Aoyama and others were like 1-2 panels long where the anime made them at least to full fights. During the final exams all 10 exams happened simultaneously, but the anime made them happen sequentially so it was easier to follow the narrative and allowed some of the students some exposition as they watched the others fight.

In this case we are at a license exam and the manga only showed off less then half the class even though all of them were participating, we didn't even see who Shouto fought in the manga and he is a main character. The anime is giving scenes to the other students showing what they did to pass. Even then this episode was only 2/3rds filler, they stuck some of the canon expository setup to fill things out so they won't have to waste next episode on it.

So the filler is less "we need to pad out the episode" and more of "what can we do to expand on things". So far we only got 2 pure filler episodes, the first was some Tsuyu filler, it was alright but nothing really special. The second was a recap episode disguised as filler.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. Dean Ambrose Forums Vacation

People complaining about fillera even when they're well done. :ippy

Also Aizawa didnt mean that Bakugou inspires but he has a presences that makes him noticable above all. If he just meant inspiration then it would have been Iida or Momo .

22. BlueDemon Demon

That's quite nice, then! (apart from those recap episodes...urgh).

23. chibbselect Well-Known Member

The Momo part of the episode was well-done. I wouldn't have been able to tell it was filler if I didn't read the manga.

...I had no idea frogs hibernate, though. That was kind of weird.

24. Dean Ambrose Forums Vacation

I loved this episode for a few reasons.

A.) More details

B.) IQ girl was neato

C.) Momo

Yea no other reasons though :blobsweat

25. Tayimus Number One

Damn good filler. And the way it was worked into what Eraser says at the end was superb.

Man, MHA is killing it in both the anime and the manga lately.

26. Kellogem Well-Known Member

waste of budget... you could tell by the designs of the filler girls they didnt try too hard to make them blend in..they could've at least took the background figures from the manga for opponents, cause they looked better. same with the quirks. they were just so uninspired.

also I dont mind if they give Momo stuff, but it seems like the idea was she is the mvp in the group. Froppy and Shoji did like jack, and Jirou was only useful cause the loudspeakers momo created, she did nearly everything including the planning. made the others look incompetent.

27. Indra I can't stop eating

Plus he's a male with a not so shafted family.

Odds are good

28. Tayimus Number One

Nah, it felt random in the manga too. To this day, I still wonder where Bakugou and Kaminari's friendship came from, as well as where it went cause it seems to have disappeared after this arc. But maybe I'm misremembering.

29. Tenma The Inferno

iirc Kaminari tagged along because he was alone and found the two of them, not because of friendship

It was only during the fight he came to be impressed by Bakugou and respect him.

30. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

It's probably began as he being friend of a friend. Bakugou did show him trust during the exam, and Denki began to understand him better. As far as I understand it didn't go anywhere, Kaminari is one of few people Bakugou allows to be near. People overreacting, and making to big of a deal out of it, but it's a good point.

Problem is that just like many other subplots, it wasn't flashed out well in the manga.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List