1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want YOU the community to help contribute to the new Spiral Rep titles!

Please, check this thread.

Dismiss Notice
  5. My fellow ningen! It's time for another Dragon Ball Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. [​IMG]

We are going to give one month of coloured usernames to a couple of NF users.

Please, check NFs Valentine's Day Event

Dismiss Notice

7. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

My Hero Academia S3 Episode 22

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Xiammes, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Tayimus Number One

Whoa...this is a rather grounded and logical argument. I'd like to see anyone rebut it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Judge Fudge Delicious

A rarity from me but honestly couldn't lie to myself anymore; didn't really like this fight in the manga and will probably not like it in the anime given how faithful it has been at this point. Anyways with the editor change Hori seems to be improving on both of their characters so lets hope it continues so they can have a real rivalry.

3. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

Problem with Bakugo is that he should logically lose to Deku because he simply is weaker (super speed, super durability, 100% fingerflicks, actual 100% punch) and that his whole personality is pure childlike delusion that would get him killed realistically.

I mean, Vegeta and Sasuke where actual killers and had actual terrible lifes, Bakugo doesn't really know anything like that
    :glare

He is like SS2 Gohan leting Cell live because he was an inexperienced kid that couldn't keep his emotions in check

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  4. Dragon D. Luffy Lord of Calamity

I don't recall the fight very closely but I think Baku winning made a good deal of sense at the time.

His quirk is not just OP but he's also pretty good at fighting. He's one of those guys who is just a genius at super-heroing.

Well minus the part about saving people, he needs to work that out.

5. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

I don't know about the fanbase bit in the beginning, but the only entirely legitimate point afterwards was the Alpha Chad bit, which i can't talk about others, but i only roll with it for the fun factor. Bakugo's a very flawed character in a number of ways, one of which it's obviously his insecurity. He's also the subject of many jokes in verse, and the whole initial UA bit was basically focused on a reverse situation between him and Midorya in many ways compared to their previous school life.

It's part of why to me he's the most entertaining character in the manga, avoiding a shit load of cliches used for previous rival templates. He's ridiculous in many ways, but also understandable in others, as long as you have the vision to not demonize individuals for particular flaws, and try to get where they are coming from simply in order to get a proper understanding of their character, and not in order to justify their actions.

There's no dark gritty thing in his past that made him emo, and his life wasn't shit to fuck him over, on the contrary. It's not the generic fictional character template made to touch peoples heart string and immediately win them over in an easy 1,2,3 manner, and that's why he's immediately discarded by most since the very beginning of the manga, and many remain very reluctant to see any appeal in his character afterwards. He's not the flavor the readers were taught to love and appreciate, so naturally they tend to do the opposite, and attach him to one of the negative templates that they know and love to hate, which often leads to a willingly more shallow understanding of his character.

6. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

I've always tried to explain why I don't like Bakugou, but you did a perfect job of putting some of my thoughts into words, at least with the first half of the paragraph. :skully It's about how they've handled his past with Deku, and have tried sidestepping it without focusing on his redemption.

Makes sense I guess. I feel like I mostly see people who love Bakugou, so I always thought I was in the minority.

7. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

His only power is making explosions, Deku has an actual stat increasing power, for Bakugo to keep up he would need to be tens of times stronger than base Deku which isn't the case because base Deku threw him like a potato sac in their first fight.

Also 100% fingerflick matched Todo's iceberg witch Bakugo needed several explosions to match.

Damn, absolute madman Deku defeated Muscular who would tear Bakugo like wet paper :lmao

Is like Sasuke matching Naruto despite Nardo having several stat increasing power ups and Sauce having none.

8. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

Base Deku did not overpower Bakugo in any way, he used Bakugo's own strength and the width of his attack against him.

100% fingerflick countered Todoroki's much smaller attacks, not the Iceberg

and he was pressured to 100% punch when Todoroki got in close range, and continued to use these much smaller attacks

Bakugo's quirk does function as a stat increase in some ways. Bakugo's body has grown to become more durable in order to support his attacks, and he's become stronger physically in order to handle a recoil that dislocated Deku's shoulder during their team up exam. Also the way Bakugo uses it adds up to his maneuverability and speed, and due to the acceleration also the power behind his physical attacks.

9. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

You need similar speed to catch the attack and strength to pull the weight offbalance, source: judo training, it's not some supernatural thing.

Todo's first move is always iceberg.

Only 100% punch is the final one vs ice and fire, the big final explosion.

Over time maybe but it doesn't have an inmedite 10 fold increase, also it in no way should affect the natural limits of Bakugo reaction speed.

Humans in BNH are superior to RL humans, but Bakugo can't never be 10x stronger than base Deku.

10. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

It's pointed out how Bakugo was extremely careless and looking down on Deku when performing that swing. It's not something that's meant to be telling of how the two compare on a physical level. Deku simply knew exactly what he's going to do because of his habits and how much Bakugo looks down on him, and Bakugo was going with his "he's just a pebble" mindset.

Todoroki only used his Iceberg against Seto, because of his father, and against Bakugo. He did not use it against Deku, or against Iida. This is what he did against Deku

Deku even compares how he was carefull in how he aimed the Iceberg against Bakugo and kept his guard up, compared to Seto. The comparison is made with Seto, because it's the only reference point, since Deku did not experience it himself, and it was not used against Ida.

Deku used a 100% punch to keep Todoroki at a distance in the panels i linked, and it fucked up his whole arm

Bakugo has superhuman instincts though, way above everyone else, including Deku. It's also pointed out by Deku that said instincts are getting better and better, and in their fight Bakugo's reaction speed and how fast he was switching between manners of attack gave him no time to think at all.

Bakugo should never become strong enough to match OFA 100% Deku in an arm wrestling match or anything of sorts, but he could become durable enough to take attacks from 100% Deku, if he keeps increasing his explosions and the durability of his body in order to handle them, or match said attacks with his huge blasts.

11. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

He did tried the iceberg but it was blasted away before it formed entirely, because Deku was a mostly stationary target.

To do the Judo flip and for Bakugo to actually feel it there needs to be a certain parity in stats, that's just how that technique works. Just believing that Bakugo is exponentially stronger or faster than base Deku when he never showed something like that is baseless.

That's the problem whit a non linear powersystem.

12. RAGING BONER Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Puerto Rico
    Bakugo's greatest power is how much he triggers the fandom; I love characters that rustle jimmies :LOS shit, it's one of the main reasons i was a Sasuke fan back in the day. Those wonderful salty Narutofan tears :del

because if you're so emotionally invested in a cartoon character that it "triggers" you...then fuck, you need to re-evaluate your priorities big time.

13. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

No, as shown in the images i linked after editing my post, it was a much smaller attack, same as the one used against Ida, and it kept it's small size right up next to Deku. Saying that it's the Iceberk it's just making things up, and it's also contradicted by Deku having the Iceberg used against Seto as the only point of reference when looking at the same move being used against Bakugo.

It's based on manga facts, because the author showed us that Deku lacks the physical strength to witstand the recoil of Bakugo's large explosion, to the point where his shoulder get's dislocated.

14. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

As a Bakugou fanboy, I do fully understand why people don't like him and even agree on more than a few points. I honestly don't know if Bakugou and Deku will ever have a proper heart to heart dealing with the past, or if Bakugou will ever have a proper apology or and act liken to it, or if they'll do a sort of 'The past is the past' thing, but for me, the best part of Bakugou's character IS the slow but steady maturing process he's going through, so I hope Bakugou does have wt least one honest moment of 'I fucked up as a kid, I was wrong, sorry' with Deku, who not being one to hold a grudge, would be fine with that.

He's a petulant child there's no denying that, but he's...what, 15 or so? He has time to improve and become a more matured person by the time he hits pro. Hopefully he becomes someone you can like alot @Yoshua and @Tayimus ! Or at least not actively dislike lol

15. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

I don't know people who defend everything Bakugou does in this series. We are aware that Bakugou is a very flawed character and without these flaws, there wouldn't be much room to develop his character.

Anyway, Bakugou breaks out of the mold of typical rival characters where it's required for them to have some traumatic childhood past that triggers their edgy/bad boy personality. Plus, is still unapologetic about the bullying. He's honestly a breath of fresh air in the shonen mold.

The problem with anime/manga fans in general is that they're too needy towards having characters that relate to them irl or similar. Can't you just have some crazy, wild characters that are just ridiculously fun ? They don't need to be relatable. It's the similar problem with Narutards who dislike Kiba (because "he's mean to Naruto and wants to take his Dream" smh)

Now, the thing about Deku elevating Bakugou is one of Deku's own flaws (he's pretty cucked). And that's partly why Bakugou is an Alpha, still being allowed to win and gain friends while being mean AF. It's honestly refreshing to see a Bully be allowed to remain fairly, consistently successful. I can see why this may anger/trigger the anime fans who may have experienced bullying irl tho.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  16. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

I am awaiting the day Deku can fully conversate with Bakugou and call him out a bit without going all meek or overly praising him, kinda like how the Bakusquad can, I honestly think they'd have some fun TFS Goku ans Vegeta-esque back and forths

17. luffy no haki 1st seat

Doesnt seem so far away, if their last interaction Is anything to go by, his unhealthy animosity towards Deku Is fading away slowly. He will always be an awesome angry fuck tho:skully

18. Wizzrobevox I'm About To Smash!!!

Oh totally, part of his charm is his never ended salt :bookerskully

19. ComradeStalin Member

Russia
    In other words, most people identify with Deku so hard they even think that he must feel the same as them, completely ignoring the fact that Deku was a doormat creepy stalker slut from the start. And they are just denying a very prominent, but not appealing trait of his personality, which makes them... well, no better than Bakugou. They don't love him for who he is, unconditionally and don't accept his character as a whole? Fucking hypocritical bullies :whistle They (and also you. Do you really think I forgot your extremely salty rant about my constructive Deku critic in other thread? No, I sure fucking didn't) need to watch this:

20. ComradeStalin Member

Russia
    Speak for yourself. Bakugou is a very relatable character. At least for me.
    1. He hates children since his early childhood just like me,
    2. He hates human species in general just like me,
    3. He hates crying goody-two-shoes MC just like me, being the only character in the whole franchise besides Dekumama who was able to see Deku's bullshit through his pity-inducing wimp facade.
    And that's enough for me to consider Baku my favourite char tbh :kaga

21. Judge Fudge Delicious

That shit happens all the damn time here hell you're just as guilty as doing that shit too. I remember clearly how salty Bakugou fans were when people kept comparing him to Sasuke so you kept defending his actions until it died down and when people still kept coming you went on a different target saying everyone who hate him are self-insert Deku fans.

He's just a less sympathetic version of Kojiro.

Here's the thing; what if people don't think him entertaining as a character? Fun is entirely subjective so to say that people hate him because they can't relate with him is just a very vapid statement on your part and ignoring the bigger picture.

That's literally not what an Alpha is. For as much as you brag about Bakugou's success his victories ring hollow (won a Festival most everyone have forgotten about by now and won a fight that was meaningless and got made fun of for starting it) and he gets butthurt at the mere suggestion that Deku might be stronger that he starts crying like a bitch. That's your Alpha Chad right there.

22. Judge Fudge Delicious

Thanks for proving that Bakugou fans have no self awareness whatsoever who not only misconstrue the character they like but the MC himself to fit their narrative and that's why people don't like you guys or the character.

23. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Well according to you we are bunch of deranged fujos, so what did you expect.

Any way pretty good analisis, so I just leave it here, but it's not like it will make any difference.

24. luffy no haki 1st seat

In the moment you generalize the fact fails regardless of how true it seems.

25. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

See, here's the thing. I WANT to like him. I really do. But his inability to man up and apologize to Deku is the thing that just annoys me. The fact that UA doesn't try at all to correct his behavior infuriates me. And on top of that, the fact that he is almost entirely incapable of holding a normal conversation with people in his class is just the weirdest thing ever. It's not funny to me, it's annoying. At least Vegeta had the excuse of being a violent killing machine who had been mortal enemies with the Z fighters. What excuse does Bakugou have? I'm being told that Bakugou is a "relatable" character, yet he acts unlike anything I've ever seen from a person.

Here's the thing. Endeavor was a guy I hated. But with his acceptance of his flaws, and his willingness to try and fix them, and realizing even his efforts wouldn't fully be enough... I started to really like him. Sure, it doesn't excuse his actions, but the fact he said "you know what, I've fucked up and went wayward, now it's time to deal with this shit head-on and not pussy out," was admirable.

But with Bakugou? They've been having him go about it in such a side-stepping way that it's just annoying now. I want to see him man up, stop being such a depressed little shit who gets triggered whenever he sees Deku happy, and take on his flaws head on, instead of trying to steamroll against them which causes him to flounder.

I don't hate the guy, he's just frustrating to watch.

This post is edgier than Edgeshots hair.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  26. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

When I first started BNHA, I also compared Bakugou to Sasuke. I said he was a mix of Sasuke/Kiba. But that wasn't accurate. As you begin to see character more in the story, he's clearly much more similar to Vegeta than Sasuke. By his actions, are you refering to his treatment of Deku ? I can only speak for myself, but I find most of the treatment funny and entertaining.

Also, it's typically always the self-insert Deku fans that hate Bakugou tho.

You're right, it is subjective. As is everything regarding how poeple prefer certain characters.

and Deku, Kirishima and others still love, admire and look up to him. pure Alpha chad even with his current flaws. :edu

27. Judge Fudge Delicious

Your words not mind. You can like a character all you want but to turn a blind eye to what makes him his fanbase doesn't make you the wiser.

This is kinda worthless since it goes over what people already knows. Also why the fuck are people over-analyzing fucking character popularity polls? You think Hitsugaya getting 1# means people think he's a complex and interesting character as well? People are A LOT more shallow than you give them credit for.

28. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

But Todoroki did try everything to win, he used fire because he was forced to do that, so he probably did try the iceberg too.

:catskully

Like Alucard, Saitama, Vegeta, Freeza, Hisoka, the whole Ryodan, Stain, Itachi, the whole Gotei 13, the whole of the Espada, Franken Fran, all Tokyo Ghoul characters, everything in Overlord, etc...

A character can be a terrible person, but they have to be so for a respectable well thought reason, not just a kid trowing a tantrum.

Nobody likes or dislikes Kiba.

Bakugo is a spoiled kid and you are ok with that because you like his design, which is why you make this whole "aggressive guy" thing when he isn't even an actual badass, because he hasn't actually fought anyone yet, actually he is the one that got saved by Deku.

If he fights someone and the villain just humiliates him to the point of making him cry like Freeza did to Vegeta, will you still be on board or are you going to say "Horikoshi is pandering to Deku fans Bakugo wouldn't do this"

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  29. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

Bakugo already admited that it was a mistake to act the way he did in the past

And sure, he did not say "Sorry bud" and hugged it out with Deku, but instead offered Deku unsolicited help and advice that would allow him to better himself as a fighter and achieve his dream, while competing with Bakugo

Advice which Deku was happy to receive

Actions that directly contradict your

bit, since Bakugo not only did not get triggered in this instance about Deku being happy or progressing, but was the source of Deku's progress and happiness.

Also about their past one thing i'd like to remind people is that after a point, Bakugo actively tried to keep Deku at a distance

He did not enjoy his presence and simply wanted to not have to deal with him being around, and Deku kept chasing him and imposing himself on him.

You can say that you can not relate with Bakugo's reasons for getting triggered by Deku, but surely one could relate with not being left alone by someone you really dislike and don't want to have to deal with ?

That's not to say that Bakugo's actions are justified, but eveything related to his character is at the very least slightly more nuanced than people like to admit.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  30. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

I'm not turning blind eye, I simply don't care. They can like him for whatever reasons, it doesn't make them inferior to the rest of us.
    It named my reasons for liking Bakugou's character right. It also give me few other reasons I didn't think about.
    I don't know who is Hitsugaya, so I can't really answer. As for Bakugou, I do find him complex and interesting. He's also currently an underdog of the story, which makes him more sympathetic.