1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want YOU the community to help contribute to the new Spiral Rep titles!

Please, check this thread.

Dismiss Notice
  5. My fellow ningen! It's time for another Dragon Ball Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. [​IMG]

We are going to give one month of coloured usernames to a couple of NF users.

Please, check NFs Valentine's Day Event

Dismiss Notice

7. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

My Hero Academia S3 Episode 22

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Xiammes, Sep 7, 2018.

1. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

apd
    To think about it, he did acted pretty badass after he was captured, and he generally worried about All Might.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

What they did was attack Kurogiri to help AM.

Yes but all he really did was repel the villains and try to scape, for me you can really say someone is badass when they succeed or don't break even when it seems hopeless and they realize they are out of their league.
    -Deku being at the edge of death vs Muscular
    -AM being at the edge of death vs AfO, actually everything AM does :lmao
    -Mirio fighting Overhaul to the bitter end even after losing his quirk
    -Kirishima unbreakable (which was also dumb)
    etc...

Yes most everyone in the hero course are but some really pull themselves above

Bakugo needs a villain fight where he loses the concept of heroes always win, and either lose or win with the idea that doing so means to die anyway. Instead of believing he is the strongest just fight with the notion of doing whatever is needed to beat the villain.

3. Judge Fudge Delicious

All those reasons listed are also reasons people tend to dislike him. It doesn't give much thought into them beyond giving context to what's not even there.

You've never read Bleach?

I'm sorry but its kinda hard to takes anyone who thinks a person who his considered talented at everything with a strong quirk and underdog.

4. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

I was mainly talking in terms of the shonen rival protagonist area. Most of those characters are either villains or don't get main character tier screentime.

Saitama is fun, I can agree.
    Allucard is not a shonen character is he ? Have yet to see Hellsing
    Gotei 13 and Espada, weren't too memorable to me since I dropped bleach early
    Freeza is a Villain.
    Stain is a Villain.
    Itachi is Villain. also very stoic personality wise so not what I'm in too.
    Hisoka, I would be a fan if he wasn't such a creep.
    Haven't seen Tokyo ghoul, not keen on character designs tbh.

Again, fun characters are entirely subjective. You don't need to have some reason for why someone is bad. There will always be good and bad people in the world. You could argue that factors such as, parenting or childhood overhype, helped influence Bakugou's personality. But he doesn't need some traumatic event in his past to explain he's like the way he is. That's too cheesy and tiring.

Nah, Kiba has fans (or had fans, since the series is pretty much dying). But, Narutards act the same as some of the Self insert Dekufans yet are worse. They like to bash any character that is "mean" to Naruto and Kiba is one of them since he doesn't suck Naruto's dick as much as most of the cast.

When I like characters, the first thing I look at his their design, personality and concept. The fact that Bakugou was also smart and very talented with his quirk was a bonus. Yeah, you can say that Deku has more fights as the MC, but that's expected anyway. With Bakugou, people admire his confidence and in in most competitions he was been very successful

If/When Hori does something like this to the point of making Bakugou cry like Vegeta, that will be the downfall of Bakugou's character in my eyes. :pek

5. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Which is completely normal, some people like stuff that others don't.
    People just like to have fun with it.
    Didn't read nothing from big three, and BNHA is the only manga I actively follow ongoing.
    Well you said yourself he doesn't have a lot of achievements compared to Deku, his quirk isn't strongest of all etc.

6. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

My point is you said manga anime fans in general like characters because they can relate to them, but there's tons of examples of the oposite thing.

There's entire franchises based on being a bully.

Bakugo definitely needs to actually be a bad person (he's not) or have an actual reason to be an edgy kid, as things stand he's like this kid

Kiba is literally who tier, people was amazed at the sheer delusion of him trying to being Hokage. People was mad at Sauce for hijacking Nardo's dream.

He was also friendly to Naruto isn't ?

Confidence for the sake of confidence is just arrogance, Bakugo gets a pass on many things because he is a handsome kid with a lot of confidence, you can't really blame people that likes women for not just ignoring his character flaws.

This is literally Toga, she's a serial killer but who cares, she is a cute girl :maybe

Well yeah I guess everything is subjective.

I like characters that just clash with an imposible obstacle but still keep trying, to rise from absolute despair kind of thing.

Yes I know is a cliche :zaru

7. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Deku was about to jump in Kurogiri's portal.
    Well he didn't show fear in circumstances in which other characters would shit their pants.
    It's not his fault Horikoshi doesn't want to give him a fight.

8. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

I was saying that they generally tend to gravititate towards characters that they can relate too. They typically only gravitate towards bad/bully types when they get some typical traumatic past to make you feel sympathetic to them.

That simpson's clip of that kid.....he's fun imo. Not quite Bakugou fun though.

Kiba barely got any screentime or backstory so he triggered people when he also wanted to be Hokage. Obviously, it was a moment to try and humiliate Kiba, But Narutards think only the MC is allowed to aim for that goal just because he was the most vocal about it.
    Sasuke did get hate from Narutards because he was hostile to Naruto too. But, since the story heavily focused around him and his clan, as well as Kishi shoehorning Naruto/Sasuke friendship at the end of the manga. He doesn't get as much compared to part 1.

So this all connect to my point that generic fans want characters that are "relatable" and nice to the MC.

Well, Tastes are subjective. You're right, If Bakugou was ugly, I would not be Bakugou fan (nor would most). It's a collective package; Design, personality, concept. Then anything else such as character development will make you like the character more OR like the character less.

9. Judge Fudge Delicious

Because he doesn't do anything in comparison. That has nothing to do with being an underdog but how much screentime he's gotten in comparison. OfA isn't the strongest quirk of all either Deku's version is just the strongest of the previous users because it gets stronger each time you pass it.

10. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

And yet in one of the recent chapters he contradicts mellowing out with Deku by trying to start shit with him on the costume redesigns, and gets pissed off when Deku compliments it. Even in the sample you just provided with him giving advice, you can see that he's barely able to get it out with the expression on his face.

And I'm not asking for him to "hug it out" with Deku. I don't expect him to ever do that, because it's not in his character. I just wish he was more direct with facing his issues, because even with his improvement, he still seems to have his past attitude rise up here and there. And that shit won't cut it in the hero world.

Also, him being aggravated by Deku's presence wasn't always like that. That shit only started when Deku had concern for him, and Bakugou decided to blow that COMPLETELY out of proportion and interpret him as looking down on him.

The problem has been that he's been this aggravated brat for way too long. He has started to show signs of improving, I'll admit that. But for a long time he's just been this spastic kid who freaks out over the tiniest of things, and for over the first half of the series was triggered just by Deku's presence, even when Deku wasn't even talking to him.

I want an arc with him as the main spotlight honestly. I feel like an arc dedicated to him would probably make me like him a lot more.

11. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Let's put it simpler, Horikoshi doesn't allow him to do anything. He just sits on the back seat, for 77 chapters. Yeah he's forced to waste time, and fall behind.
    Not just Deku Todoroki, Inasa, Momo all have stronger quirks.

12. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

He doesn't like undeserved compliments. It was established pretty clear.
    So everything come to the fact that you simply don't like, slow progress throughout the story. But that's how bnha is working, Todoroki still have daddy issues, Deku still have his low self value issues, Bakugou still have his issues.

13. Judge Fudge Delicious

He "fell behind" due to his own attitude not because of his strength.
    There's no proof of that. Momo is just an overall good student and Inasa and Todoroki both failed as well.

14. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstand some things, but i find it odd that you dislike "slow" development from certain characters in BNHA. It's something that i find very refreshing, as it goes against the trend of solving life long issues in a couple of pages the way many other manga tend to do. They way such baggage ends up getting discarded, and characters take incredible turns in an instant made me roll my eyes so many times, that i've found BNHA's way of handling things praise worthy.

Bakugo's an abrasive kid, who speaks his own language in a way when conveying his emotions. It's important to not take what he says at face value, and the most simple example i can give you is that doing so would make you believe he's a serial killer with his victims being not only Deku, but the couple of balls they used for the long distance throw exercise, pretty much his entire class and some of the 1-B kids as well, his parents or even the little kids they had to handle to get their license.

We can tell who he inherited that type of personality from

and how he developed into being so confrontational, and ready to solve an emerging issue through a test of might

just look at his mother's way of providing discipline, and look at how her critique has to do with her son lacking the might requiered to solve or entirely avoid the situation he was involved in by himself.

Get smacked because you were weak, and because you being weak caused problems for others. Could you now slightly better understand part of where Bakugo looking down on weakness comes from, as well as his depise towards being perceived as weak himself ?

For him it's normal to use violence to put someone who is in the wrong "in their place"

that is how he was raised. That is what happened to him as well. That's also probably part of what shaped him into someone who does not back down from those who confront him with violence

standing up for himself even when two older kids ganged up on him

They bumped into him and tried to make him apologize, but he stood up to them and solved their conflict through a test of might without complaining about it.

So yeah, he basically speaks a different language if you want to understand what he's actually saying, and he responds to being called out as a challenge that he's ready to overcome due to his confrontational nature. He's gotten a bit better in some ways, and his perception of Deku is different, but it's entirely unrealistic to want to decisively change the person he grew up to be, and debarass him of his habits or personality traits.

We've seen change happen, and he will certainly grow up to be an individual who can better function as a hero, as this is the main journey he is undertaking, but even at the end i would be disapointed if we can no longer discern that the character who made it there is Bakugo, same guy we've seen in chapter one. I'm not worried about that though because of how Horikoshi's being handling this, which is way beyond my initial expectations when i got into this story.

15. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

I'm probably one of the bigger staunch defenders of Bakugo around here. I am completely fine with people like or disliking a character, Bakugo has a lot of reasons to dislike him. Most of time I speak up its because people's complaints are either juvenile, completely missing the point or massively uninformed. Bakugo has major personality problems that he needs to be working through and he has, his change in character is a slow crawl and he will find himself at the end of the journey.

If you develop the characters to fast, then you run into major issues later. You can't really write stories with a completed character, at least not the kind that get a long continuous publication with a continuous narrative. I had fears that Deku was developing too quickly, if he doesn't have something struggle against with his personality, then the story feels more hollow. Deku still lacks self confidence, he can't smile in a fight, he doesn't think he himself is worthy, all of this wrestles with the idea that he had been given so many opportunities by so many people that he can't let them down. Everything about Deku would feel hollow if he didn't have those things to overcome.

Luffy from One Piece is a much more completed character and its why he is the most boring member of his crew. Its easy to like Luffy, there isn't anything to hate about him and some of the best moments in the series are based around his actions, but Luffy doesn't really struggle against anything, just what ever challenge that has been placed before him. The strawhat crew has much more deeply engaging and emotional stories, its why you see larger fandoms for them, its why there is a lot of inner competition between the fandoms. Everyone likes Luffy, but rarely is he anyone's favorite.

16. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Inasa and Todoroki do have stronger quirks, Bakugo is more skillful and resourceful in using his quirk but in raw strength he is in disadvantage. As for Momo, ability to create anything> ability to create and detonate explosive.

17. Indra I can't stop eating

I know this is one episode late, but this pic is so freaking awesome :bury

18. Judge Fudge Delicious

There's literally no proof that states that they're stronger. The fact that you have to use the top students to prove that Bakugou is an underdog says a lot.

19. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

I do not mind slow progress. I don't. I have applauded again and again the progression Horikoshi has taken with his characters. From Todoroki, to Endeavor, to Deku, even to Bakugou, I think he has done a good job with them so far.

If I were to better explain my issues with Bakugou, it would be like this. I should've probably put a giant disclaimer when I was first posting that a lot of these issues are more personal ones I have with him, and not issues I have with the writing so far.

1.) His bitterness and triggered attitude whenever Deku made progression wore thin on me. I know he is not like this now. I am glad he is not. However, given the fact he was like that for a bit over half the series, and hasn't really had any spotlight in the later half aside from his makeup course with Todo, Camie and Inasa, it has taken somewhat a toll on my liking of him. That is why I want an arc featuring him some point soon, because I WANT to see him grow. I am happy he is growing. I just want to see more of him, because I feel like we only get him in small pieces whenever Deku is around.

2.) I have been slightly frustrated by the fact that UA has not done anything about him up until this point. I say this not just for him, but also for Deku with breaking his body, with Iida (VENGEANCE), and for Mineta being... Mineta. This is supposed to be one of the top hero schools in the country, and the fact they have been so negligent with the attitudes and behaviors of their students is baffling to me. This sentiment has carried onto these characters, particularly Bakugou because we've seen how badly his personality has gotten him into trouble.

3.) This is purely subjective, but him acting toxic almost all the time to his fellow classmates just isn't that funny to me. I tend to just roll my eyes when he acts all pissed off, although I'll give him credit, he's made me chuckle a few times like with the speech bubble biting and the brushing his teeth one. Just subjectively, I don't find most of the times he acts toxic with his peers to be that funny.

I'm not trying to say he's a poorly written character, and I'll fully admit some of my gripes are pretty biased. Given how amazing Horikoshis writing is though, and how he's managed to make me think positively of characters like Endeavor, I feel like once we get some actual focus on just Bakugou, I'll probably end up liking him a lot more. And that payoff will be great.

:blobtimistic

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  20. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Well if you read the manga it have all the proofs you need. It's clearly show their quirks are stronger.
    I'm using student's that is relevant.

21. ComradeStalin Member

Russia
    The pot calls kettle black, man.
    Such an arrogance, wow. Just... let me remind you that Deku and Todoroki are also very popular among yaoi fangirls. So don't turn a blind eye to this fact either.
    Am I owe you an apology, or something? :lbj
    By the way, I feel the same way about Deku tbf. I admit I have met such person in real life, and he was so annoying I literally couldn't stand him near myself even for a little time. Half of a hour was a maximum I could handle. Thank god we parted ways after school graduation, so I don't have to endure his suffocating attention ever again. Just don't like it when a sausage owner constantly tries to spill his verbal love juices all over me, y'know :scust
    So I personally can't judge Bakugou, really.

22. Tayimus Number One

23. ComradeStalin Member

Russia
    Not to mention it was Deku's fault in the first place. If he wasn't clinging to All Might at that moment, All Might hadn't lost the bottle. So Deku was trying to make up for his mistake which could cost the person his life, and he understood that very clearly.
    Cool post, buddy. Kudos.

24. ComradeStalin Member

Russia
    I really want to build a huge wall around me because of this :trump.jpg:

25. Ye Xiu Best Member

This Saturday will be great my fellow BakuBros :mahbama

The Hall of Shame is coming

26. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

27. Platypus Super Moderator

28. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Well it could be pretty simple, his classmates doesn't seem to bothered by his behavior, on contrast they find it rather fun, and good excuse to mock him a bit. Noone is complaining to the teachers, so UA staff probably consider it inner class affair.

29. Tayimus Number One

Aizawa literally had to restrain Bakugou from attacking Deku on the first day... :drake

30. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

That was the last time Aizawa has seen Bakugou attempt to do that, with the fight that got the two of them grounded being the one exception though.