1. Due to an update, many default preferences have changed.

If you have any issues, such as unrequested email notifications or following threads you didn't want to follow, then check your setting here.
  2. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  3. Impending Naruto Avenue Reorganisation!

Want to learn more? Wish to chime in? Click here.

My personal opinions on Togashi

Discussion in 'Hunter x Hunter' started by Toxic Saiyan, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Sakazuki Charismatic Awesome

I've criticized Oda for his short comings in this arc and Dressrosa.Im not the one saying that everything Oda puts on paper is perfect when half the shit he's written in those 11 chapters is plain boring with zero progression.As I said in another thread.Put the first 11 chapters of WCI and this current HxH arc.WCI shits on it

2. Jackalinthebox Well-Known Member

Bruh, you wank OP far more than most people in this thread wank HxH.

Technically, we're still in the Dark Continent arc tbh. First 11 chapters of the DC arc would blow WCI's first 11 out of the water. Not that any of this is relevant to what I was saying about you calling people tards of a series

3. Jake CENA BAH GAWD KING, IT'S JAKE CENA!!

Oda doesn't even have the experience nor the capacity and talent as Togashi possess.

4. Dragon D. Luffy You can only cry when it's all over.

I'm sure my grandchildren will love those 11 chapters

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Jackalinthebox Well-Known Member

Probably not, if their reading comprehension is as poor as yours :fatcat

Those 11 chapters came out over two years ago, genius

6. Dragon D. Luffy You can only cry when it's all over.

Oh sorry I thought you were referring to the dark continent arc not the decade long prologue we are having.

7. Wolfgang Grimmer Magnificent Steiner

these complaints are like an exact carbon copy of the complaints from the chimera ant arc hiatuses a lifetime ago
    many years later everyone is praising chimera ant arc like it won a tezuka award
    people are fucking drones

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Danchou Antagonist

Early parts of the Chimera arc are still boring. You dont see anybody praising that. One of the reasons why i dont bother to reread the chimera arc.

Things get ridiculous when people cant call a spade a spade. This run was subpar by HxHs standards.

9. Suit Those boys got me all tingly

"this run" isn't a whole story in and of itself. it's part of a bigger plot. you want to call spades? only a spastic cunt expects these off-hiatus "runs" to be self-contained stand-alone stories.

still waiting on a valid opinion that isn't "no action, is shit, togashi is shit lol"

10. Tenma Peace through Tyranny

Actually, yes it should....to some degree anyway

Togashi knows full well he publishes at a set rate if 10 chapters a year for about 2 months. His work will effectively be experienced in that manner for the majority of readers. You modify your storytelling format according to the length and rate in which your story is being told. There's a reason why a seasonal anime is expected to tell a more complete and thematically focused story in 12 episodds than 12 episodes of a longrunner, why each individual issue of an american comic has more content than one of a weekly manga.

These runs don't have to be totally self-contained stories like Chrollo vs Hisoka, but they have to contain a beginning, middle, climax to make sense with his publication pace. It's the same with all mediums- with american comics just 'cause you are eventually going to publish them in a tpb doesn't mean each chapter should be a jumble of random scenes without telling a proper 'story' within the chapter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  11. Sakazuki Charismatic Awesome

All I know is that if any other mangaka barely progressed his story in 11 chapters he'd be crucified.This never happens with Togashi

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  12. Pliskin Well-Known Member

Actually, in episodic storytelling part of the craftsmanship is having each episode be interesting on its' own. Thays why tv and manga often resort to cliffhangers as a last resort.

That an individual chapter and by extension a year's worth of story should stand on its own is legit criticism for this medium.

13. Suit Those boys got me all tingly

no, you're completely wrong because you're using the assumption that togashi's recent "pattern" (which has only occurred 2 or 3 times now anyway) is some kind of seasonal thing. It's not. that's just the pace that he feels comfortable releasing the chapters at. he'll cover as much as he damn well pleases in those chapters, and he has no obligation to follow you nor anyone else's arbitrary "rules."

14. Tenma Peace through Tyranny

I have every obligation to criticise his writing if I find it shoddy though, I don't really care if he follows (what are the damn chances of that anyway?)

15. Suit Those boys got me all tingly

you have every right, but if you feel obligated, that's pretty damn weird.

but the thing is, other fans (such as me) have the right to tell you why your criticism is, for lack of a better word, stupid. you're only criticizing him for not following a rigid schedule where he puts out the precise type of content that you want within a certain time frame. the thing is, there's literally no reason he would follow such a schedule when his only aim is to release chapters that tell the story the way he wants to when he finds himself able to write it.

16. Tenma Peace through Tyranny

well yeah, obligation was the wrong word lol

It's hilarious you think I'm demanding a 'precise type of content' though. Togashi can easily tell the story he's telling now even using some basic storytelling structure which would make everything much more coherent rather than each set coming off as a bunch of scenes that begin and cut off at a random point. I don't think 'nothing happened' in the last 2 months like alot of other people, but with the way it was structured I can easily see why others feel that way.

17. Keishin Well-Known Member

His runs having a beginning, middle and end sound kind of limiting.

18. snakeeater Active Member

These last 10 chapters aren't a self-contained story that adheres to the "beginning, middle, and end" rule. They're all part of the succession war, which started with chapter 358, which is also part of the Dark Continent arc.

Chapter 361 wasn't the beginning of anything, and chapter 370 wasn't the end of anything. We're still in the middle of the story.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 11:41 AM
  19. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

Under that concept we could only criticize his work every 10 or so years, reality is that this last batch of chapters has been underwhelming.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Keishin Well-Known Member

I still haven't heard a reason for why it was underwhelming other than "idc about princes."

21. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

I don't care about princes or the succession war, that's most of the characters and the plot of this last batch. New uninteresting characters and a plot that revolves around them that will likely have no real consequences in the overall story.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  22. Suit Those boys got me all tingly

togashi has never been story-focused so much as he has been character focused.

23. Keishin Well-Known Member

The reason Kurapika went there was because it has real consequences and progresses the story that's been going on before the DC arc was even a thing.

24. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

He's both, he makes characters and makes a story where he can put them in limit situations designed for them. Doesn't meant he doesn't have a goal for the plot.

That will progress when he finally realizes that the Ryodan is in the ship.

25. Keishin Well-Known Member

He wants to get his hands on the 4th prince not the ryodan..

26. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Lmao "i don't care about major characters/a major plotline introduced into the story". Ok? Fuck off? No one cares, especially togashi :skully

27. Toxic Saiyan The Wayward Beyond

Thanks to @HoroHoro and the several other users to help me convey my thoughts on the matter. There were some scenes in the Chimera Ant arc that were way too text-filled or cluttered. What I'm getting from some of the HxH fans here is that they seem to think this is a "subjective" fault on Togashi when it really isn't, it's not a "new" style.

Exposition and conveying information for readers is one of the more harder things to do in writing, namely when to deliver it and what's important to explain, if you explain and talk about every little thing or every thought a character has it's going to get repetitive, pace crippling, boring and ESPECIALLY annoying...

It's a objectively bad writing.

By all means it's a great story and Togashi OVERALL is a great writer, way better than Mashima, Kubo, and considerably better than other Shonen writers, but he is not perfect. He is groundbreaking in his own right that he brought strategy and technique to the forefront on shonen standards, but again, to a fault.

28. Keishin Well-Known Member

Knowing what a character thinks and how his thought process works is better and how it should be.

29. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

All the people that thinks Togashi doesn't make any mistakes and that the bad things from the manga are merely his "style" care. If Togashi himself would care or not is irrelevant too.

This whole succession war hasn't introduced any important character and is a waste of time.

There's no need to write a tl;dr to show any of this.

30. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Never said he doesn't make mistakes, I just found your argument trash. Tis all.

The succession war has introduced the princes, who are important as they will become king of a major country, and one has prime importance in kurapika's plotline. So I'm pretty sure this objectively bullshit.

If you don't psychological thrillers/chess matches, then go read an action fueled manga. This is not the manga for you clearly.