1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Name Meanings and Origins (spoilers)

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by Blinus, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Blinus I always have a plan

Name Meanings and Origins.

I do hope this thread hasn't been done already, it was a pain in the wrist to type. My poor Carpel Tunnel.

One thing I've noticed about Naruto character names, and pretty much all anime character names in general, is that they're all puns, subtly referencing some attribute about the character.

I thought we could start a thread here listing as many of these as we could think of. I've got a ton that I memorized from a few sites, (Naruto Fever was most informative, credit to them) or looked up on my own, so I'll start off. And please correct anything I got wrong, and also whether or not a name has multiple meanings and I didn't give them all.

By no means am I an expert here, I'm just starting off what I thought'd be a fun idea. :)

If I put a ? after anything, it's because I'm not positive on it but I think it's right.

Uzumaki: Spiral, whirlpool
    Naruto: Those Ramen fishcakes things.
    Uchiha: Fan (As in wave your fan around to cool off).
    Sakura: Cherry Blossom.
    Hatake: Field?
    Kakashi: Scarecrow. Heh.
    Iruka: Dolphin
    Konoha: Leaf, duh.
    -Maru: Common boy's name ending. Also can mean circle, or round. I think.
    Jiraiya, Tsunade, Orochimaru: They all come from a Japanese myth called The Gallant Jiraiya. Also, Orochi means serpent I believe.
    Sarutobi: Monkey.
    Shika: Deer.
    Chouji: Butterfly?
    Ino: Boar.
    InoShikaCho: A particular combination of cards from an old card game I'm unfamiliar with.
    Inu: Dog
    Zuka: Brash, loud, abrasive?
    Kiba: Fang. Guess that's what the red things represent.
    Aka: Red.
    Hyuuga: Sunlight?
    Yakushi: A healer, God of healing... I don't know exactly. I think Naruto-fever.com said "The Healing Buddha", but I think there's another meaning too.
    Kabuto: Type of Samurai helmet. I have no clue where the pun there is. :p
    Yoroi: Entirely a guess on my part, but is this 'Armor'? Whenever I hear them say that, it sounds like they say Yoroi.
    Itachi: Weasel. That's kinda disappointing.
    Gaara: Not sure on the whole thing, but I believe the superfluous 'a' in there is written with the symbol for 'Love', is it not?
    Kurenai: Deeper red than Aka. Explains the eyes.
    Tenten: Here and there. so, literally, Tenten, is 'Meh'. :p
    Neji: I remember reading 'Screw', but I don't understand it.

Again, if I screwed anything up, feel free to berate me. And correct me. I wanna make a complete list for the whole cast (Well, most of them), but as you can see, I'm missing a lot, and am not even sure of the ones I have. Any help there, and help understanding the puns would be superbly goodly. (Kabuto and Neji torture me. WHAT'S THE PUN!?)

This was a much better thread idea in theory. It's looks so sloppy. Woe is me.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
    Tags:
  2. hikaru yuki Gintamard

a few corrections. "saru" means monkey, not sarutobi.

uchiha is taken from another word that meant "fan" (i forgot what it was), but it doesnt literally mean fan.

orochi isnt 'serpent', but the chinese characters literally mean "big snake" (which i thought was kinda funny ^^).

the first two characters for "gaara" is "I love", but i cant read the 3rd one cuz i suck XD. (i should ask my parents..).

also "maru", my mom told me, is the character for what you call those little rice- sesame dumplings my parents always cook along with anything else that is round and is a food. so i guess it can be translated as round XD

i think thats all ^^

3. mao Fishsticks!

The first names of Kabuto's chuunin exam team (him, Yoroi and third one I never remember :p) translate as helmet, armor and sword, I believe. Don't know if there's anything more behind his name. And Yakushi indeed is the Healing Buddha, goes rather well with the whole medic-thing.

That'd be 'uchiwa'.

I think the last kanji means 'death', so his name would translate something like "I love death".

4. Nyarlathotep Member

In that site there is virtually all the Naruto character's names meaning, so sorry for killing your thread in 1 post.

Unless you know the meaning of Koharu, Homura, Ayame, Tonbo, Kotetsu, Izumo, Mizuki, Teuchi, Moegi, Mozuku and the filler characters' names.

Konohamaru = Konoha is leaf, maru, by itself means a circle, but it?s a ending for boy?s name. It?s more common in ship?s name. But if you hear a name ends with ?maru?, that means it?s a boy?s name (the maru definition copied and pasted from the link I posted).

Udon = A type of noddle, except they're fatter than the normal if I remember correctly (dunno why Kishi called him that).

5. tri-sapphire The Hunter

Didn't Yashamaru say (in the form of a Gaara flashback) that Gaara's mother named him after/as an asura, which is an enemy of the gods?

6. Spectrum Active Member

As Nyarlathotep said, Winter Paradise has in-depth meanings of almost all the characters' names. I say 'almost' because it doesn't have the meanings of the characters he mentioned, as well as a few he forgot to mention (such as Aoba, for example :p ). To add to your list a little bit, with pretty much all credit going to that site...

Haruno: Spring field (which thus turns Sakura's full name into something like, "cherry blossom in Spring").
    Nara: A prefecture in Japan that is famous for its deer. So Shikamaru's name is completely about the deer...
    Yuuhi: Setting sun (also a deep red, just like Kurenai's eyes)
    Miturashi: From 'miturashi-dango', one of Anko's favorite snacks.
    Anko: Sweet bean paste. Anko is basically named for sweets, which she loves.
    Gamabunta: 'Gama' means 'toad', and 'bunta' apparently comes from the name of a Japanese actor who is famous for playing a Yakuza character. So he almost literally is "frog boss." XD
    Kisame: Demon shark. That one's pretty obvious.

You're right about Yoroi--it does mean 'armor.' Didn't need to look up that one; I used to be a big fan of Yoroiden Samurai Troopers. :p

Kabuto's name does mean that type of samurai helmet, but tori-kabuto is also the name of a type of plant with poisonous roots, which might make a bit more sense...

And most people seem to think that Neji's name refers to Kaiten, since it's a spinning attack and it does kind of resemble a screw.

The last kanji in his name (that mao mentioned) refers to that demon, I believe. Hence the "demon that loves only himself" meaning that was explained in the anime/manga.

7. Blinus I always have a plan

Thank you for that, Nyarlathotep. Don't worry about killing the thread. :p

Can you or another Mod just lock it now?

8. Spectrum Active Member

Eh, I don't see why the thread needs to be locked, unless you really want it to be. As mentioned, there are plenty of character names that haven't been translated in the aforementioned site. Plus, it's nice to have a reference in the forums too.

(Manga spoiler below...)

Anyone know what Shisui means? I recall hearing that the name was a reference to his death (drowning and all), but I can't remember exactly what it was...

9. Blinus I always have a plan

Okay then. But I'm not gonna edit my first post with the corrections the naisu people gave, since that would just be repetitive... and I'm lazy. :p

10. Nyarlathotep Member

^_^;; How could I?!!!! I should be hanged for my crime against Aoba.

Anyway, I don't know what Aoba means, but Yamashiro = Mountain something, it's either North mountain or mountain of the north, or White Mountain, something along the lines of that.

EDIT: I just remembered Ayame's name meaning. Ayame = iris (type of flower), it's so common in anime, I don't know how I forgot about it.

11. Blinus I always have a plan

What about Yashamaru? Or, well, just Yasha I guess, the -maru is obvious to everyone on the planet by now. Heh, that's also proof that he is indeed the UNCLE of Gaara, with the -maru ending.

And what about Iwashi? That pointy bearded fellow who was with Shizune, Raido, and Genma when they were attacked by the Sound 4. I think he's also that Chuunin that viewed the video of Gaara's team completing the Forest of Death scratchless.

12. ramp3 Continue as Planned

Kabuto also means hammer.

13. Nyarlathotep Member

Kishi decided to play with the readers a little more with the yasha part of the name:

Yasha = female demon

Unless my japanese dictionary is wrong which, in this case, I hope is wrong which I think it isn't since I'm sure I heard something like that in Inuyasha fandom too, but I heard that yasha only means demon somewhere in Digimon fandom.

I'm sure Yasha is demon, but I don't know if it means female demon or only demon (most probable the latter).

Iwa = rock (I'm sure everybody knows this already)

I don't know exactly what the shi means, since in romanji 'shi' has like 20 definitions so I would have to see the kanji to see what it means (and chances are, I won't understand it anyway, I suck at kanjis).

14. Blinus I always have a plan

...Does he ENJOY causing gender-confusion? :D I've seen a lot of effeminite men in anime and manga before, but never one with a contradictory name. :p:p:p

15. Morumoto-nin Assassin guinea pig

As Nyarlathotep metioned, udon is indeed a very thick wheat noodle. I usually buy them in packages in the refrigerated section of the supermarket near the tofu. Very tasty...

Inari is a food typically served in most sushi restaurants. It's rice wrapped in a sheet of sweetened tofu, and in case you're wondering it's really good.

16. Blinus I always have a plan

Speaking of Inari, I think of the other characters from just that arc. Tsunami is obvious, but how about Tazuna, Giichi, Zouri, Waraji, Kaiza, Akane. Heh, I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't remember who all of those names belong to. Giichi was the bridge foreman that quit but then came and helped protect the bridge. Zouri and Waraji were the slice-happy minions of Gatou. Kaiza was Inari's hero father who died, and Akane was the mean kid that tried to steal Pochi... I mean, Shooting Star.

Oh, and does Gatou/Gato/Gatoh have any meaning to it as well? Aside from being Spanish for cat, which I can't fathom being the answer.

17. mao Fishsticks!

If I have the right kanji, Shisui [ 止水 ] translates as stagnant/still water.

18. Sawako

Only Chou means butterfly, not Chouji.

I think Hinata's name also has to do with the sun, but I'm not sure about that one.

19. --Orochimaru-- Deadly

That's awesome. I always wondered what some of these names meant. Thank posting this, really appreciated.

20. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

I'd just add something here...
    Jiraiya, Hayate, Ayame, and Raidou were all names known to me before I watched Naruto as names of legendary Ninja in the stories of olde.

21. Nono chocobo turned moogle

i don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but one of my japanese friends told me that there is a very well-known whirlpool in the Shikoku (can't remember, could be Kyuushuu) area of Japan that's called Naruto.

22. YamazakiSusumu Just call me Susumu.

Tatami - straw mats put on floors in Japanese homes, Iwashi - sardine
    Shisui could mean drowning, I guess. Shi means death and Sui means water... so yeah.
    Hagane - steel, Kotetsu - steel
    Yamashiro - mountain castle (look at the kanji), Aoba - green leaf
    Udon - his snot looks like an udon noodle
    Baiu - rainy season (June-July)
    Shigure - (murashigure) autumn shower
    Midare - (samidare) early summer shower
    Gekkou - moonlight
    Shiranui - phosphorescent, Genma - star
    Tsunade - (tsuna) rope
    Nawaki - (nawa) rope
    Utatane - nap, Koharu - early autumn
    Tonbo - dragonfly
    Shimon - question (he was one of the chuunin examiners)

23. Nethawi I so totally ate your shoes...

Ohoh I know ONE! xD;

Umino Iruka= Umi No Iruka= Dolphin of/in the sea

But I guess everyone knew that XDD

I think that's funny! And I keep on saying "Sn?mus" ("snowmouse") when I see a pictue of him, or see him in the anime/manga, because sn?mus is weasel in norwegian xD (o-o I've lived in norway for my whole life...except for 8 months of course XD)
    I love to mock anime characters >D (although I mostly like those I mock xD)

Heres what this site says:

Itachi is a weasel. This animal was once believed to be somewhat magical in Japan.
    There is a myth that if you see an Itachi, or hear its voice, something bad would happen to you.
    Also, it is said that if you intercept the way/route itachi uses, the itachi will never ever use the same route.

Itachi is a mysterious and bad-luck animal in old Japanese belief.

I think that fits him perfectly. Everything. o_o;;

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  24. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

Naruto also means Maelstorm if i remember correctly. Which also works well with his name considering that everyone thinks he is evil.

25. TriSal Shino 4 life......

What does Jirayia mean?

Does anybody know what that name means? I?ve looked every where after the translation of that name but have found none at all. So can anybody help me?

26. Nighthawk Banned

It means "Young Thunder".

27. TriSal Shino 4 life......

28. Jordy Member

Can I ask you where you got that from?

29. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

Jiraiya ( 自来也 ) means something like "Coming on one's own". The "Young Thunder" meaning comes from another way to write Jiraiya, 児雷也. This is, however, not how it is written by Kishimoto.

The -ya ( 也 ) part of both these names is a common suffix for boys' names, like -maru ( 丸 ) in Shikamaru. It means something like "a sum of money"

30. NarutardKK l'Cie

1) Jiraiya could also mean "melting since then."
    2) Shikamaru means "circle of dear" (note that even Tsunade calls him a deer before he goes to get his flak jacket); just like Orochimaru means "circle of the mythical eight-headed serpent" and Akamaru means "circle of red."