1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Namechange policy - YOU do it

Discussion in 'The Konoha Times' started by Kenneth, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Kenneth Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

So, with the recent (by now not so recent) update on all of our postcounts the 100 postcount requirement for names is a joke. A lot of members received such a massive boost they went from zero to postcount hero in a matter of seconds.

But while we're discussing namechanges, why not involve you? It's going to affect you, anyway. What would you change about the namechange policy (within reason)? Are there systems or policies you're aware of elsewhere that would improve the namechange process?

For a refresher, here is the gist of how namechanges work today:

You can only take the name of an account that has less than 100 posts AND did not log on for 6 months.

So far we have the following changes in mind:

* Just raising the postcount requirement from 100 → 1000 posts.
    * Making it so that logging on after your name has been changed, you are given 1 free namechange.
    * Sending an e-mail to accounts who have their name taken to make them aware of their free namechange
    * Doing away with the postcount requirement entirely, only focusing on being inactive (this comes with a caveat)
    * Making it a tier based system like so:

* Making it a hybrid system like so:

There is also a concern to preserve some names that shouldn't be up for grabs. That's the caveat I was talking about earlier. Members who are, in a word, legendary. Think of ando from the Golden Byakugam, LastoftheUchiha from the opposing side, but also members who have since passed away such as Gooba and CrazymoronX. There are members who have made a name for themselves. Call it cultural relevance or history or whatever if you're also a humongous nerd. The thing with this is: how do you determine what and who is "legendary" enough to not have their name taken? That's the trick, there.

With all that said...

What changes would you make to the namechange policy as it is now? What would you feel would be least stiffling for members, but still balanced enough so that it wouldn't be a joke (as in, LUL 1000 CHANGES A WEEK AND ALSO NO REQS)?

This thread will be up for an entire month. We have plenty of time for talking.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Kenneth Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Personally speaking I'm a fan of keeping things simple. 1000 posts and 6 months or 1 year of not being here, end of story. I would also include stuff like a free namechange for people who lost their name (though I'm sure this is done unofficially now). I'm not sure about the e-mail idea but it sounds like a nice gesture, letting people know what's up. On the other hand, if you're inactive... You won't care.

I would like to keep things simple. A tier based system sounds cool in theory but right now you can see someone is under or over the requirements at a glance. With a tier based system you're going to have to relearn that shit, but it's not impossible.

With a hybrid system, which I also don't dislike, more names will just be up for grabs. But it comes with that caveat I mentioned earlier. Sorry, you just shouldn't be taking names of members like Vegeta, Ando, Kisame, Gooba etc. That's already done now, more or less, but it's not mentioned in the OP of the namechange thread. Also most of the time people change their names to a well known one is to pretend to be that person or mock them. Hard no on that shit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Gin the Nighty Well-Known Member

this one

time is much more relevant than post count, and this allows users who've been gone for 3+ years to still get their names back in the very unlikely event that they come back

4. Jackk ...

Also, instead of email, I'd say just send the inactive person a PM/conversation message on NF. They'll see that when/if they ever log back on. No need to force an email imo. Of course they'll receive an email still if they're setup to receive an email when there's a new PM/conversations message, but that's a setting they've had the option to check/uncheck (under contact details --> messaging preferences)

Plus also give the person returning from inactivity the option to either get their name back or a new one, and if they choose to get a new one, then they get a free name change for that

I agree with this

Basically case by case mod discretion like many other things currently work anyway tbh

You guys had already been checking stuff like if a name is already in use or if a user had already used up all their name changes before actually changing their name to whatever is being requested

5. Kenneth Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

An issue with sending a PM is, when you change their name they more or less won't be able to log on unless they know their name. Like we change it to "name (old)" or "name (inactive) but not everyone will know that.

What we can do that's not an e-mail is add a notice for logged out users to have them look up their name or something, and if it has changed they get a namechange free of charge and whenever. I'm going to try and find out if I can add a notice for people who entered their credentials wrong once. That might work as well, if it's possible.

We could also do both. PM the member with the info and a link to the namechange thread, and a notice.

6. jayjay³² Drug Addict

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Nataly Bulletproof

-I am supporting the idea that a user can get the name of somebody who hasn't logged in for 6 months or longer.
    Would it be better to lower the amount of posts from 1000 to 500? :hm There are risks, but wouldn't it make it easier for those who want to change names if the amount was lowered

-I agree that sending an email should be a part of the routine since it acknowledges the person of the action and allows the user to log in with no problems with a changed name. And if they don't care about coming back or NF as usual, they simply don't open the email. Not a gain or loss for any party involved. And admins can set up a general email for that with no problem.
    With sending emails, you also prevent users from creating support tickets or making dupes just to figure out what happened with their account.

-Is the staff considering adding *(old)* to the name that was taken as in example with Shrike and Shrike (old) ?

-Users can request a name change for 18 points any time they want to, and will it be a good idea to lower it to 15 points, for instance?

-Will it ever be possible to give your own three free name changes you get automatically to someone else and just scratch it and note it in usernotes? I have free name changes that I know I would never ever use, and it doesn't make sense if I cannot give it to those who desperately want their names changed.
    The staff, in this case, shouldn't have to worry because it would be personal choice and people would know what they sign themselves for.

8. Grey Wolf You Want Some Of My Wood Release?

United States
    Interesting. I believe we should make it this for people who have 500 post instead of 1000, with the 1000 post year setting. As well as an email alerting them in the event they just may be able to retain their username regardless in the event they may lose it. I also agree with the legendary names not able to be taken. Perhaps their should be a post somewhere public with that maintained.

Legendary could involved the following bulletpoints:

• The Poster has passed away, which is a no brainer.
    • The poster has ten years of activity should automatically make them legendary.
    • Infamous/famous people IE: finalbeta etc.
    • Retired Staff
    • As an tie in to the points system, someone could spend so many points to add an username of theirs they have used/using be added to the legendary list.

I do agree with if they do lose their username, they log in and get a free username change.

9. Shroomsday Too Classy to be Right Retired Staff

Horselash Mbxx to make it a plug in, or make it a once per six years (or chargeable).

10. James Bond Well-Known Member

Sweden
    Is it really that good an idea to set a limit of posts required to allow someone the possibility to change their name? To me that just promotes spam posts to get their number up rather than posting because you want to get in on whatever topic is in discussion in that current thread. As for taking names off inactive users I would say if you haven't posted for 6 months that should be long enough.

This is an interesting idea :mikebatman

11. ane Advisor

It is not a minimum posts requirement to request a new name. It is a limit if you want a name that was already taken. At the moment that limit is 100 posts. If you request a name than an inactive user has, it can be granted to you if they have 100 or less posts, but no if they have more. One of the options is increasing that limit.

12. Sequester Not the hero The Alley needs, but the hero The Alley deserves

I am here because the headline addressed me specifically.

Hello, hello to you too.

Now since you asked I have a very simple solution; take a page outta good ol' kings 3:16 and threaten to cut the name in half.

The one who begs you to stop is the real mother.

Some say I am as wise as King Solomon, after today I wouldn't blame you if you become one of them.

13. Grey Wolf You Want Some Of My Wood Release?

United States
    so staff what do you think about my suggestions for the legacy and username portion. I believe we should voice as well on that people, anything to create things that you don't see other forums do is a bonus in my eyes and well my ideals for it is pretty dope if you ask me.

14. Fang Titan

15. Aphrodite

I dont care what you guys decide to do. Not planning on changing my name again so have at it.

16. Moritsune Jack Hammer

That's a poor system for someone that only frequents sections where posts don't count, like I did, particularly if they are in some kind of military service or the like where they can easily be inactive for long periods of time. I think the hybrid system with 3 years of inactivity being the end of it would be good.

17. Grey Wolf You Want Some Of My Wood Release?

United States
    I believe we can set in place special circumstances for like people having to leave for special uncontrollable situations.

18. Roƅ Suck my dick, Suit

Germany

19. Kenneth Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

That's the opposite of what you want I think.

The only problem with that is that they can log in to take their name back just to spite people (if we go with them having a grace period where they can take it back - which frankly I'm not entirely for), or they don't have a valid mail address. But it's likely that we'll start doing this.

We already do this because there's no other way of taking a name that already exists. We do need to agree on which word to add, where, and to use the same brackets so that it becomes predictable. Oh, I can't log on. Let's try "my name (old)".

I'm a little bit confused. This isn't about prizes, but I suppose it can be discussed with the mods of that section.

I'd rather not. It all seems easy because for you that's one person giving one person a change. To us that's two people to check up on, two people to note. Still not that bad. Now, there are a lot more than two people on the forum. And at least a few of them are going to get namechanges from their friends.

Let's say 6 friends give their 6 changes to one guy. That's 7 people. Let's say this happens 10 times. That's 70 people that need a usernote, and 70 people who we will have to check up on every time that one guy asks for a namechange. These aren't crazy numbers. Go back one year in the namechange thread and count how many people changed their name this year.

It's a lot of busywork for essentially nothing.

If people are somehow desperate for a namechange, 6 months in between changes is my best offer here, but I'm not operating in much of an official capacity with that offer. That's just words falling out of my head. A year in between infinite changes seems to be pretty fair considering what it used to be like before.

If you do need one for serious reasons like you're being stalked or doxed you make a thread in the SCR and trust me, you'll get your change for free though. Like, we're not going to stonewall you when your enjoyment and safety is involved.

I guess if enough people want that (it would have to be some massive majority) we can see about adding something like that in but there would be limits for sure.

I doubt that you are entirely unable to log in 1 day out of 365, even when in service (thank you for your service). The requirement isn't to be active or to post. It's to simply log on once. Now if it's 6 months, I understand that's more cramped, but it's still a lot of time to log on one time.

There also seem to be people working on a little system to determine what people should have to not have their names taken, such as 10,000 posts. We'll see where this takes us. For now, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

20. Hussain Well-Known Member

Don't really care that much, but if anything
    1- I think a free chance to change your name every 6 months should be lovely.
    2- If not, then IIRC there was a rule that you get a new free name change every 2-3 years or something ridiculous like that? :catthinks
    If so, then those changes should add up. I think I asked @Blu-ray about it before and he told me that they don't add up if I am not mistaken. Which is a shame since that a lot of time for a mere 1 chance.... :dank

21. Moritsune Jack Hammer

I'm not worried about it, I got out of the service years ago. That being said, you'd be surprised how long deployments can take you away from the internet. I did two deployments that were each scheduled for 8 months and both got extended to over 10 months, and they were only spaced 2 months apart, add that into shift work if you come back to a shipyard period or the like and you could very easily go over a year without logging on. I just think that should have some level of consideration when drafting these rules.

22. Kenneth Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

I agree with all of these points, they do seem fair. But as for point 3: what determines fame and infamy? Fame is fleeting, infamy is lost over time as strong feelings wane into feelings into memories into vague memories. Like, we know FinalBeta was infamous, but what in... Let's say 5 years. Will enough people remember him? Will the new new new gen of staff?

I'm also not sure about the whole points deal. I believe that it has always followed the namechange rules with the exception of of course having to wait a year. Spending a ton of points on a name shouldn't make that name valuable. You do.

The limit isn't for you. The limit is for the account you're trying to take the name of.

An interesting thought, Sequolomon.

Yes. Though I've been on a few other forums in my day and there were other systems that I honestly didn't not like. I believe NB had a super simple system that you could use to change your name yourself (sort of).

What they did is you could at any point in time request a name in the userCP, but only once a year they would go through allllllll the namechanges that they had to do. It simplified the process a lot but I'm not sure if it was that good. On another forum you just had to ask for a name and you could get it at the admin's discretion (there only was one admin).

Reported.
    Even if you don't intend to change your name you can still contribute with ideas, or vote on ideas people present.
    For how long, though? What reasons would be good enough?

And as a reminder: for an entire year?

Remember that this would be for people with <1000 posts.

How many people have less than a 1000 posts and are heavily into the forum to the point of a namechange affecting them greatly? Recently our postcount has skyrocketed, and though I'm not sure if changes were made since then, posts seem to count just about everywhere. 1000 posts seems like peanuts, easy to achieve if you're here for about a month unless you only post in some horribly underpopulated section.

23. Grey Wolf You Want Some Of My Wood Release?

United States
    Well in response to you @Kenneth perhaps I could have chosen better words than fame and infamy. I guess what I am getting at is why would or would it be okay if we allowed a member to take the finalbeta name? I don't think it would be good but that depends on who you ask right?

As well, I see what you mean by the points thing.

24. President Raiden

Will take me some time to fully develop thoughts, but I don't think there is any way around figuring out who is a "legendary poster." That might have to be decided on a per case basis and if there is deadline, maybe opening it up to the forum community to ask (like this thread). For proposed changes, I like shifting the postcount requirement from 100 posts to 1000 and giving the additional namechange once the person signs in. Not sure if this is helpful at all.

25. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    Good, but I would say the first three name changes after every 1,000 posts. Then after that a multiplier system (4th name change 2,000 posts after that, 5th 4,000 posts after that last one, 6th 8,000 posts after that last one, etc.) And before you say that will lead to spam, there is a proportional relationship between people who want frequent name changes and them posting in non-post counting sections.

Name changes won from forum prizes are free and don't count under this system, so your time doesn't "reset"

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  26. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

27. Gunners .

Add some drop down list that shows previous names or, better yet, allow members to add other members to their shit list which is visible under their avatar.

28. Superman Well-Known Member

United States
    For name changes, I do not care how it is done, I have 2 under my belt myself. As for people who has been gone for 3 years, yeah I think they should have a chance to get their name back only if it is agreed upon by both parties. Can not just yank it away.

And for legendary members, yeah they should not be another one of them. I do not want to see another Gooba or CrazyMoronX. Especially if they pass away.

29. Canute87 Nuke Imminent

Haven't changed my name or set in 12 years.

Maybe the user can send request like maternity leave or something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Lewd Lewd x 1
    • List
  30. Grey Wolf You Want Some Of My Wood Release?

United States
    I don't have the answers just seems like something we don't see on other forums and could be useful if enough people show interest and we can work the system for our forum. I am not too concerned on it .