1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Namechange policy - YOU do it

Discussion in 'The Konoha Times' started by Kenneth, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Selena no

United States
    Only read the first post, and skimmed the rest so..

Point I I'm on board with. Point II I'm not. You're not active here enough, then that's on you. You don't get the right to reclaim your name if you haven't bothered to show up for 3+ years.

Also, whoever mentioned getting one free name change every 6 months: I'd be on-board for that too.

2. Rohan GFX Artist

If a user has 500 posts, it doesn't matter whether he is inactive or active, the name should not be changed without the user's permission as I think the username is the user's identity and cannot be taken without permission.

500 posts are enough contribution to be a long-standing member. Changing the names of such people seems unfair even if they are inactive for 10 years or more.

If all these usernames back and forth name changing is done, it will be messy as the staff will have to keep all these username changes in check.

The old system is fine, raising the post count limit is the best idea.

If a name you want is taken and cannot be given, use a variation, or special characters or try another name. It's not a big deal in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  3. ~riku~ ❣ ❀ ❣

i think ur system and caveats are a really good idea kenny!!

4. mycomics007 Well-Known Member

Intriguing. I trust we should make it this for individuals who have 500 post rather than 1000, with the 1000 post year setting. And additionally an email cautioning them in the occasion they just might have the capacity to hold their username in any case in the occasion they may lose it. I likewise concur with the incredible names not ready to be taken.

5. Azzuri The Killing Joke

Why not allow posters to change their name themselves twice a year?

6. Mider T Oh Christmas T!

United States
    Because chaos?

7. Azzuri The Killing Joke

8. Shark On a break..

This. It should apply even moreso for those who are permabanned.

9. Nighty the Bitey Bulletproof

You truly believe there would be some to do it just for trolling purposes. It is crazy, but this world is full of craziness.
    Will the issue resolve itself if the grace period is taken away to prevent anything bad or confusion from happening? Basically you haven't logged in for a long time, you have a low amount of posts, you are done and your name can be taken with no problem. No grace period, sorry for your luck buddy.
    I thought every user who registered on NF has to have an approved email address and confirm the registration through email, and only then he/she can log in and enjoy the time here. But if you are talking about accounts from '04 and up before the transition to XenForo happened, those emails might now be considered 'no good anymore'

I'm aware you guys follow that scheme now, wanted to see if there is more to it. Why don't you like leaving it the way it is with (old) in the end of the name and in brackets?

It is something extra I was wondering about, although it doesn't quite belong to the current discussion and off-topic-ish.
    I can bring it up in CC discussion too.

If you describe it from that scale, it proves your point of that idea being useless and not worthy. I was looking at it from a user perspective. And it won't make any sense to allow some to do it while some users can't. I agree with you

Are you saying you would allow some users to be able to change the name in 6 months while the rule states it should be a year till the next name change if given circumstances are serious and legit? There are always exceptions to the rules and I've seen them happen in the Name Request Thread, however, I would not advertise that idea too much since it reduces the point of the one year rule.

And surely if something urgent pops up, the staff will accommodate the name change without any hesitation and quickly.

10. Kenneth Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

For the record, I don't really care for the grace period either. But I said I would quote every idea in this thread, and so...

People being dicks on the Internet and attached to usernames to the point of logging on once to deny someone else that username isn't that out there in terms of probability.

This isn't about liking. This is about consistency for the sake of making things easier for everyone and more organized overall.

This is not the same as [this] is not the same as (this) is not the same as <this> is not the same as "this" is not...
    Nor is [this] the same as [ this ] or (this) and ( this ). Not for usernames at least.

And that's with just one word.

Right now an admin can use whatever they want to an old account. I used (inactive) way back, switched to (old). But another admin can use whatever else they come up with. Usually we stick to (old) but for the purposes of making it easier for returning users to return a notice can be made telling them if they aren't managing to log on they should try "your name (old)". We can't send them on a wild goose chase of like 50 variants of what their name could have been turned into due to someone taking their username.

If it's about points that should go in there, yes. This is about namechanges as they are normally given.

:thunk

No. I'm not. I'm not sure where you're pulling that from. If anything I've been speaking in general.

I'm saying that asking to change the waiting process to 6 months is most realistic change you could make if you're not willing to wait one year in my opinion.

I want to remind you that you're in a thread where you, the user, can help shape the new namechange process. You can ask questions but it's just as important to state your opinion on what that process should look like. I'm just here to answer questions, give my opinion, and if I see something ridiculous guide it to something less ridiculous.

11. Kenneth Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Also just to be clear: I'm just a guy here. You guys should totally work together and see what you can come up with. Act like you own the place. I'm not here to say no to everything or yes to everything. It's just going to be my opinion until I outright say something like "yeah, this is not happening because x".

Also someone asked if there was some way to do it yourself (I think?) and possibly yes but that would very likely be a plugin which would have to be asked to be installed, and you very likely couldn't change the names of inactive users to then take that name for yourself.

12. Nighty the GOBBED 「 R U N N E R 」

Turn NF into a place of utter chaos. You can take a name no matter what. No matter when. What happens to that use whose name you steal? They get deleted. They have to start fresh... or steal the name of a more powerful member.

I, for one, intend to change my name to Mbxx as soon as possible.

13. Nighty the GOBBED 「 R U N N E R 」

In all seriousness... although I can understand why the staff responsible for handling name changes, like you Kenneth, would prefer something simple as it's a serious undertaking, it feels like it'd be more fair to make those names available to people somehow. I mean, I remember way back there could be a guy with the Shikamaru name who hadn't been on for like five years, but he had 110 posts so NOPE. That's balls. I think if you're not here for any amount of time, for whatever reason, you lose that name privilege. Even if it's a ban -- you got yourself banned, plain and simple. I think by, like, a four year point no matter how many posts you have it should be null and void. By that point, if someone really stayed away from NF for that long, they probably aren't coming back. The only person in recent memory I can think of being gone an obscenely long time and coming back is Para, and she's gone again already.

I would also be completely on board with reducing the time for name changes even though I just promised to change back to Krory next time. :catblush

14. Kenneth Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

To be completely fair here, that would still be keeping it simple so no real issue for me there. Allowing any name to be taken after some amount of time would be very simple.

And fair. Personally speaking I agree with what you've said. I also thought it to be ridiculous that some name couldn't be taken due to some arbitrarily chosen amount of posts no matter how many years they've been gone. But after this many years of being on NF you pretty much go along with the devil you know. Being on staff doesn't help either because it becomes an automatic acceptance and action after a while, to leave things as they are when it comes to this unless you're someone who is really into mixing it up. To agree with what precedes you (not always - but you get the point), and that's probably because paradoxically I'm not usually someone who seeks out change. I find comfort in routine. Though it can also be called laziness without it being a lie. Though I gladly bend myself in a strange angle when I see people would like that change more than I would like comfort.

Anyway, enough stroking myself off, you just put fresh bedsheets on this thread. I'm a pig, Krory.

I don't know if 4 years sits well with me. That could just be me spewing nonsense. I'd like to make it a psychologically satisfying 5?

15. Nighty the GOBBED 「 R U N N E R 」

Next time you want to stroke yourself, I'll do it instead.

And I think 5 is still fine.

16. D.Va .

Flag:
    United States
    Did @Kenneth address the legendary status idea?

17. Baki Sand Jounin

I think the risk of old members deciding not to return due to this change is far, far greater than the risk of new/current members deciding to leave if they don't get the name they want. In addition, 1000 posts is a lot and could result in members going for low quality posts in order to lock their name in.

18. Baki Sand Jounin

I myself am a good example. I grew my interest back in Naruto with Boruto and the fan-release of Naruto Kai. Then I remembered having this cool username on this cool site, and to my pleasent surprise I was able to log in with everything in place after 8 years of absence. And I've been active for a few months now.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  19. Kobe █▄█▄█ █ █▀█

IMO there should be no rule regarding the post count. Rather, it should depend on how long you have been a member and how long you have been inactive.

If you have been a member for only two years and have not logged in for 6 months, then likely you have lost interest or NF didn't mean much to you to keep posting.

Also, if you have been a member for 10+ years but have been inactive for 5+ years, most likely you moved on with your life and having that same username would not mean much to you.

I would set the rules regarding the namechange policy between these two extremes.

20. KidTony Top Waifu

it's really not that big of deal guys....

21. White Rabbit Yumi Carrotoid

Not exactly about the namechange policy, but what about inverting/interchanging the username and the custom user title?

I mean, with the same policy we have now, we would have the custom usertitle in large characters over the username.

This way ppl could "change" their "first name" (the customized one) when they want, keeping their true username below. The username could also become permanent.

Just suggesting...

@ane Look, here my first revolutionnary* advise :footykitten :lmao

*Revolution litterally meaning turning upside down -what I'm suggesting here

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:57 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  22. Rohan GFX Artist

This is a unique idea.

23. White Rabbit Yumi Carrotoid