1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

6. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Nana Chose All Might Over Her Own Child?!

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Tayimus, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Tayimus Number One

Discuss.

Tags:
  2. Yin Yin Within Yin God, #Boosette / SC Meme-Let The Creativity Flow

Germany, Japan, Mexico
    Love the backstory behind one for all but kinda spoiling the peeps who haven't read till this point, their loss I guess.
    :fangirl

3. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

I mean, Torino explained that Nana didn't want her child to have anything to do with the hero life style, she gave it up to adoption after her husband had been killed.

4. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

It's Hanebado's Mom of the Year all over again :distracted

5. Tayimus Number One

Bit of a nuance here. This basically means that she chose her hero life (and subsequently raising All Might) over raising her child herself. She could have escaped the country with her son and Toshinori, trained Toshinori, rasied her child, and then Toshinori could have returned to Japan and continued OFA's legacy.

6. ~VK~ The King

I think i bashed her way back when for not even trying to keep an eye out for her child or something at least. She legit just let her child get lost in the shitty ass pre all might peace time foster system. Just Get an abortion if you gonna do the child like that anyways.

7. ~VK~ The King

She literally forbade gran torino and all might from ever checking up on him shits messed up.

8. Tayimus Number One

It really is fucked up. Like...damn, I honestly can't understand just giving up your child like that. Like...she let Sorahiko complete Toshinori's training. Why couldn't she have done that shit earlier, and take care of her own son?

There's so many combinations of ways she could have done things instead of leaving her child to fate and circumstance

Mind you, this brings some questions. We were under the impression that AFO killed Nana in single combat. Now we know that this was after whooping hers, Sorahiko's, and Toshinori's asses. How the fuck even...?

9. Kor Well-Known Member

Are you all forgetting AFO was basically in control of the country? By forbidding Sorahiko or Toshinori from contacting the child, Nana must have assumed that All For One wouldn’t notice him and thus he would stay safe and out of sight. However she should have at least allowed them to make contact AFTER the possible outcome of All Might defeating AFO, to prevent the current result of her grandson being indoctrinated

Sorahiko tells All Might not to linger after graduation or AFO will notice his presence.

While it would’ve made more sense to pack up and leave, Nana still had a duty as a hero and there would be nothing stopping AFO from sending assassins after noticing a group of pro heroes trying to leave the country. All Might by himself could keep a lower profile.

10. Tayimus Number One

And she assumed that he would have a happy home and happy life? That's naive. It's a toss-up if her son would have had a good life.

Not only naive, but she also had an extreme lack of foresight. And Toshinori and Sorahiko take some blame considering they had no reason to adhere to Nana's unreasonable wish.

Which makes no sense if you think about it. With all the exposure that Yuuei kids get, we're supposed to believe that AFO couldn't have found out who Toshinori was? Couldn't have tracked him down?

Which she COMPLETELY abdicated at least once before for the period of nine months at least, unless we're gonna add irresponsible to the list of negatives that Nana is building. And as @~VK~ said, if she was gonna give the kid up for adoption like that, she shouldn't have had a child in the first place. I'm hoping she didn't underestimate what danger her family would have if she was a hero, let alone the current OFA.
    Are you really gonna tell me that pro-heroes couldn't leave the country in groups and yet NO ONE knew that the country was in the grips of a supervillain?

As low a profile could get him, being a Yuuei student, but hey, small details don't count.

You're laboring under the impression that AFO would strike out against All Might pretty quickly. Except small details go against that theory. For example, AFO didn't kill Deku when he realized Deku was the Ninth. Deku had NO protections around him, yet nothing happened. Instead, AFO allowed Shigaraki to target Bakugou.
    :drake

11. luffy no haki 1st Seat

More interesting on seeing where that page came from before discussin, please

12. Seraphiel nah

I got you buddy

13. Tayimus Number One

14. Kor Well-Known Member

By the time AM was growing up AFO was already in the shadows and over a century old, he would’ve been a urban legend. Only a select few outside his syndicate would know of him by then.

Second, AFO learned about Deku from Shigaraki after Deku stupidly yelled out SMASH with some absurd super strength which wouldn’t be hard for him to connect the dots. BUT he was a walking potato head by then so he couldn’t do shit personally unless Shigaraki was about to be royally fucked.

Third, Deku was always surrounded by some of the best pros at UA, two of which can hard counter a lot of people(AM hax and Eraser hax.) and AFO has little to no resources by the start of series because AM thoroughly dismantled his empire, with the exception of the Doctor and Kurogiri, as well as Gigantomachoa. UA has several people who know about OFA and would clearly have precautions ready to protect Deku and Toshinori.

AFO may not have seen who the Eighth OFA was until his last battle with Nana, we don’t have enough knowledge of his earlier years and only know that Sorahiko was his teacher for one year, which may have been his third after Nana died.

As for her having a kid, sure it was irresponsible to have one as a hero, but we don’t know if she had the kid before inheriting OFA or after, her husband was also a pro so he knew the risks too.

Of course pro heroes could leave the country, but not when a group would have his known enemy(Nana), a random graduate(AM), and her kid as well as Sorahiko if he comes with them are together.
    :ohlord

15. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

I don't exactly get everything being said/posted right now but I must say it is probably going to end up working out in the long run. Minato sacrificed himself and Kushina to "save" Naruto for a better future and to weaponize his bijuu. Nobody could have predicted that except for Minato apparently.

So maybe this is like paternal instincts that kicked in and she somehow instinctively "knew" that her best choice of action would be to do what she did.

16. ~VK~ The King

the kid is dead af and his son/her grandson is now a psychopathic villain and the protege of her arch nemesis...."best choice of action"? Ok.

17. Tayimus Number One

I'm assuming this pertains to the point I made about heroes leaving the country. It doesn't actually address my point, though. But further on this later

...:facepalm

You very clearly didn't think this paragraph through. First, how AFO found out Deku was the Ninth is IRRELEVANT. What matters is that he knew at all. Secondly, "couldn't" and "wouldn't" are two different words. AFO was CLEARLY not as helpless as you make him, and could act if he wanted.

Uh huh...except someone in Yuuei is a traitor, and could kill Deku at any opportunity? And if the traitor is a teacher, they could get Deku's records and find out where he lives and kill him at home. Or let's ignore the traitor angle altogether. All AFO has to do is tell Shigaraki to trail Deku from school and kill him at home.

Hell, Shigaraki literally had Deku's neck in his hands at one point. You're gonna tell me that AFO would have had Deku killed "if he could"? That it wasn't that AFO simply didn't want to attack Deku? Dude. No. There are too many holes in this line of thinking.

All Might was eighteen when Nana died... Considering how easily people made the comparison to Deku and All Might's quirks, I find it extremely hard that no one would come to AFO saying, "Boss, this kid at the Yuuei Sports Festival displayed a quirk way too similar to Nana's!"

:facepalm

Ok, this is where we make an informed decision. Both Deku and All Might were chosen as kids. Why would Nana be any different? Why would it be so much of a big deal to find a successor among YOUNG people, if a fully grown adult could be chosen? Why couldn't Nighteye--All Might's own sidekick--be chosen as the Ninth?

Also, where was it stated that her husband was a hero? I don't remember that.

All of whom would have had to register with the government, which AFO was in control of.:mjlol

Nah, man. Most logical answer to everything was that AFO wasn't sweating OFA's wielders, he waited for them to come to him. Sorahiko was being overly cautious. That's not to say he was doing something wrong, but we, the readers, have a better point of view.

Way more shit happened than Minato could have predicted. It only ended up alright because a stupud prophecy. Doesn't mean we can't criticize someone for making a bad decision, especially when there's clearly alternatives.

You mean "maternal," not "paternal". Unless Nana is a trap... which would be...unfortunate.

Also, she could have left the country with her son and All Might.

18. Soca The Mud and the Oil Super Moderator

Trinidad and Tobago
    The mothers in this manga are wild as fuck. One completely shattered her sons dreams, one threw hot water on her son and another threw away her son. I know they all had their reasons but damn :lmao

19. Tayimus Number One

Well, in Inko's case, it would have been almost cruel to give false hope to Deku.

Side note, I have a plot bunny where she actually can't bring herself to tell Deku the truth, and proceeds to fund his nigh-unachievable dream, bankrupting herself in the process.

20. Kor Well-Known Member

Bakugou ironically has the least crazy mom, considering his personality and upbringing.
    Sorahiko mentions her husband was killed during hero duty, or close to those lines. It’s in the chapter after AFO vs All Might.

Given his cautious personality like you said, we don’t know how much All Might stood out. Sure, AFO may have sat back but he has shown himself to step in when he absolutely needs to, AM was hitting the singularity point. AM could’ve held back more than Midoriya did, since, you know, near instant mastery of 100% and all. Power up quirks are a dime a dozen. Midoriya has no control at the start and goes wild with his quirk leading people to make comparisons. Different circumstances for them.

Shigaraki following Deku home? He was lucky he surprised Midoriya at the mall, what is stopping someone from calling the police when they spot some pasty looking NEET tailing a student? Traitor? We don’t know if it’s a teacher or student, accessing records would assume it’s a teacher since UA should clearly know better than to let a student easily get access.

Other reasons? He wants Deku to oppose Shigaraki and stimulate his growth as a villain. Things have changed for him since the Nana years.

Furthermore, nine people over a century wouldn’t be a lot of time for each one, All Might had it for decades now, probably the longest of any holder. Prime only had it for presumably a short while since he stood no chance. The time each one could carry it would vary wildly as each generation saw stronger quirks. There was only 5 or so generations(going by what Doctor said in chapter 1) since quirks appeared. That’s almost two holders per generation.

21. Ye Xiu Erza's Knight

22. Tayimus Number One

I hope that's a joke. It's not funny. :pek

Thank you. I'll look for it afterwards.

Uh, no, dude. Sorahiko wasn't in charge of All Might until his final year, Nana was. We don't know how cautious she was.

Not only literally the most likely scenario, it's directly supported by the story. AFO rarely acted unless the threat was great enough, or there was something to gain for it.

I don't see how this contradicts the first part of your sentence. You sure you put the "but" in the right place?

Bruh. Don't use a term that not only was just introduced, not only not explained, but also doesn't even fit All Might. This "singularity point" that Deku surpassed is something All Might never achieved, as All Might never saw the other OFA users. We don't know what the singularity point is, if it's just the amount of OFA a person can safely use or not.

And he could have not. And hey, we do know that the dude actually has a problem holding back when in a fight. Directly stated. :trinny

Yeah, power-up quirks are a dime a dozen. But to AFO and his disciples, OFA's attributes (the cackling electricity is a big one) are extremely noticeable.

Uh huh. So. There are a number of scenarios that this spawns. First, the practical scenario, if possible, All Might opted out of any tournaments, considering that Nana would take him on anyway, he had no professional reason to. Of course, by his own behavior with Deku, this scenario is unlikely since he wanted Deku to announce to the world that they had a savior as soon as possible, he very likely did the same thing himself.

Secondly, All Might entered the tournaments, but never did more than he needed to barely win. Unlikely considering he'd want to make a statement to the world. To do this effectively, he would have to crush his peers. If I remember correctly, he even said he did this. Also, this scenario assumes that he could hold back against his classmates. This is unlikely, for very obvious reasons.

Thirdly, the most likely scenario, All Might did his very best to win, overwhelming his competition, gaining the notoriety that he sought, as well as AFO's attention.

Sorry, bro, I'm going with the most likely scenario. Let's not forget that Deku's 15% is enough to generate those air pressure punches. I don't think it's unreasonable to think All Might used at least the equivalent of Deku's 15%, and we've not seen ANY "power-up" quirk do that shit that's possible at 15%. I don't think the circumstances are all that different.

What's the likelihood of that event playing out like that ? Seriously, how likely? Not saying it's impossible, caise it is, but really, you are not thinking this through enough.

Which is why I said if. C'mon, man. Come. On.

That's what I said. You have not addressed the point I made, just rearranged it and spat it back at me. I actually looked at my post to make sure I did write it, and yup, it's right fucking there, not even edited--

Dude. Really. :giogio

Indeed. It just happens to fall in line with AFO's overall behavior.

And where is the example of him changing his behavior? Sorahiko even states that AFO doesn't like to show himself, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know what you're trying to address here. Also, "Prime" took me a second to figure you meant the first OFA. :notrust

23. ~VK~ The King

Given what we've seen i feel it's pretty exagerated how low the chances are for a quirckless person to become a hero. I mean yeah it'll be really really hard but they act like it's flatout impossible when anyone with eraserhead level H2H combat skills and good support tech could become a decent enough hero.

24. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Stain managed to kill like 18 heroes and crippled 22 more, Stains quirk is borderline useless, he is literally more dangerous if he just poisoned his blades, his quirk is only good for him because he likes to interrogate people. With enough training you could probably end up being a decent hero, but you would have to pick your battles carefully. Dissecting someone's abilities and trying to exploit them and you could do well at a low to mid level.

25. Tayimus Number One

Like I said, Inko bankrupted herself to fulfill Deku's dream.

Buying support tech, poison needles, whatever, all funded by Inko--or rather, Hisashi. It's not impossible, but not likely. Really, really not likely.

26. Yak Well-Known Member

I see no problem with that, per se. First, just because it is family doesn't mean that her child would've been more suitable. Second, it would've made a family member a target. Yes, in turn it's also selfish because it paints the target on Toshinori instead. But humans simply are like that.

27. Tayimus Number One

Wait, whoa, whoa, whoa. You got it wrong. I'm not talking about her choosing All Might as the successor. I'm talking about Nana sending her kid into foster care to train All Might.

28. Yak Well-Known Member

Alright, fair enough. But you posted only one page totally out of context. I mean, if you have access to this chapter or whatever it is, please at least state a source so I can catch up with the whole thing. Otherwise it's sorta unfair to get plunged into a discussion where I am forced to make half-assed arguments because you obviously have more information available on the matter than I do.

29. Donquixote Doflamingo Master Puppeteer

Not everyones cut out for raising kids.

30. Tayimus Number One

See, this is an epic facepalm moment. You can't possibly think that I was holding this confusion over your head or something, so the defensiveness in your post is unnecessary.

That said, I'll seek not to defend myself, and simply give you the link--