1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Nara's First Rant!(Dave Matthews band)

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by NaRa, Dec 5, 2005.

1. NaRa Metally Retarded

Hear me out just this once.:smile-big

So I'm posting a Rant about one of my favorite bands..Honestly it isn't one of my favorite bands it IS my favorite band.Words can not describe the extent to which I love this band.This band contains Some of Virginia's(my home state) finest Jazz/Blues Players..But don't be fooled this is no Jazz Band In Fact I'll be Damned if you can find a genre to place them in.They continue to develope into different directions.

I'll start off with Matthews.His vocals alone are worth listening too.His singing can be from just plain silly and fun to haunting,or even a sad grim(for example Gravedigger) voice.And in a live show he has NEVER played one song exactly the same its always new or fresh in some way.His Lyrics are my all time favorites. one of my favorite verses

Seek Up

Oh, look at me in my fancy car,
    And my bank account...
    Oh, how I wish I could take it all down
    Down to my grave, God knows I'd save and save
    Man, take a look again, take a look again,
    Things you have collected,
    Well, in the end it all piles up so tall
    To one big nothing, one big nothing at all

Forget about the reasons and
    The treasons we are seeking...
    Forget about the notion that
    Our emotion can be kept at bay
    Forget about being guilty,
    We are innocent instead
    For soon we will all find our lives swept away

You seek up an emotion,
    And your cup is overflowing.
    You seek up an emotion,
    Sometimes your well is dry.
    You seek up a big monster
    For him to fight your wars for you
    But when he finds his way to you,
    The devil's not going "Ha, ha, ha, ha."

Proudest Monkey
    When I walk, I walk so tall...
    Not bent or doubled up
    Like the other monkeys that I know...
    Still I don't know if I have a soul
    Or if Heaven's the place to go...
    Or if Hell's where we burn...
    Or if sinning's what we do...
    Where do I know that I'm the smartest monkey...
    That I know

Monkey see, monkey do,
    Monkey see...

We are the proudest monkeys...
    We are the proudest monkeys...
    You and me are the proudest monkeys...
    You and I are the proudest monkeys...

I will end it here out of fear of posting all his song lyrics.
    I'll move instead to his band Members.

Dave's Superiors(how he refers all of them)Carter Beauford and Leroi Moore.Blues veterans to say the least.Carter has played on the drums since he was 3.Not even joking.And Leroi's talents.He can play just about any wind instrument associated with Jazz.Leroi's Sax is smooth and buttery and will make you melt in your Chair.Boyd Tinsley's Violin gives this band a very calm mellow or sometimes a upbeat partyish sound to their songs almost making you want to bust out a dance.Bassist Stefan Lessard was approached by matthews when he was 16!Need i say more?Matthews intention was to get the best he could and by god he did.

DMB has covered a number of songs by the Beatles,Sang with The one and only johnny cash as well as played his songs in a tribute,Allman Brothers,Bob Dylan.In fact if you want to hear a All Along the watchtower cover check theirs out when they covered it with Blue's travelers harmonica god John Popper and Trey Anastasio Of Phish.Its a 10:00 minute orgy of smooth Electric guitar Rich Acoustic and the ever so sweet Harmonica.

There Live Albums are AMAZING.Live At Redrocks is pure glory in my opinion Leroi's Sax just really shines throughout.And Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds live at Luther college.If you have any love for the acoustic guitar what so ever you will buy this album.Tim reynolds guitar is drop dead brilliant as he and Dave play unacompanied by the rest of the band .Do yourself a favor and pick up at least one of these albums.

I will gladly upload ether two if these albums for anybody who wishes.As for the rest of his songs.I have them all on casette.

Tags:
  2. Midnight Infinitum Pillars Of The Underworld

Nice elaboration on the band members.
    However, typical Starbucks music ain't my thing.

3. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

I've always been a fan of Dave. He puts on a wicked live show, as you say. I saw him at Coors Ampitheater and I was just jubilant the whole evening. :spaz

Please, UL to your hearts content, and I will gladly receive whatever you send. :nod:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  4. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

How the fans overhype and raveabout the band doesnt necessary mean the band is worthless :amuse

I love Dave and yeah, they put on one mean live show. I went to the new orelans Jazz fest 2 years ago I think and they jammed with The King; B.B King. What an awesome gig.

5. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

BB and DMB? Sounds like a recipe for a wide awake wet dream. O_O

6. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

I know! I honestly wet my pants .___.

7. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

While enough peopple I know with good taste like DM that I accept he must be doing something right, I flat out cannot stand his music. Infact it irritates the living hell out of me.

And his cover of Watchtower is shit. My opinion ofcourse, but it is.

8. DyersEve The Great Southern Trendkill

They don't make me want to take an entire bottle of Advil like some other bands do*coughthewhitestripescoughcough* but I've never been a fan.

9. NaRa Metally Retarded

alrighty.Might as well do it im gonna be on my comp for a long ass time..Ill go ahead and upload Live at redrocks and replace the normal cover of All along the watchtower with the good one.If you're interested in hearing him with Mr.Timmy Reynolds give me the word.

All Along the watch tower by DMB isn't amazing.But it is with Anastasio and Popper.Popper's harmonica is beautiful.And Anastasio's Electric goes really well with Leroi's sax at the end.

I can understand.Alot people don't really like the arrangment of the band.Or his vocals.I love it though and i'm a huge fan of his lyrics.Have since i was about 5?i just remember telling my dad to put in "Under the table dreaming" in the casette everytime we were in his car.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005