1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto on Adult Swim

Discussion in 'Naruto Dub Discussion' started by VerdantVenus, Sep 19, 2005.

Should Naruto be on Adult Swim then Toonami?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2006.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. VerdantVenus Well-Known Member

First off, I would like to say that putting Naruto on Adult Swim is a bad idea. Why? Well, if certain anime like Naruto would continue to be on Adult Swim, it would just continue the ratings, and edit standards of anime. Look at it this way, the Naruto dub could cause future changes in how anime is treated by raising the standards for editing, and content. Now that I really think about, TV-PG was the highest rating of a show that Toonami has aired, this could lead to better things in the future. So if it continues, the level of acceptance for content would be higher. Another thing would be voice acting, if Naruto continues to have good acting, then this would influence more companies to hire better actors, or get current ones to improve. When a series becomes popular, companies pay attention to what is done to make it popular, thus if they observe a series that does try to act with a high degree of quality, then other rival businesses will try as well.​
    To my knowledge, not many people I know watch Adult Swim, because of how late it airs, and not much people are up, but now that Naruto is on Toonami, it'll find it's way on a more weekday schedual, instead of a late Saturday timeslot, where most of the demographic they are targeting are off somewhere else away from home. This way, more people would watch, the ratings will be better, and it will be a successful property. So, I would think that Naruto on Adult Swim would be bad, because then, it would continue the way anime is dubbed and edited, besides, half of the anime is for kids and teens on Adult Swim, and it would look weird having Ghost in the Shell airing next to Naruto, BTW, I don't know if I was joking or not in this sentence.​

Tags:
  2. metalanime I like Tits

Are the people you know 15 as well? Im not asking in an offensive way, but regardless, the series isnt going to be on AS anyway. Its just gonna take cuts for ridiculous things as it already has.

3. VerdantVenus Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're 15, but I'm touching on the subject where people think that Naruto would be better on Adult Swim, and not Toonami, basically, they're not thinking of Kishimoto, or Pierrot at all, I mean, they need to make a living too, and anime needs to be treated better in the dubbing of the shonen genre.

4. silverwings Hero of Time

In terms of causing other companies to hire better VAs and treat shows better (like Viz has been to Naruto), it'll come down to money and not ratings.

Meaning, DVD sales. If the uncuts don't sell well, companies will have more evidence that a)there is no need to put so much effort into a series, it makes no difference; and b)fansubs cut into the bottom line and thus need to be dealt with.

But yeah, I agree that Naruto being TV-PG could be a start of a new trend. Or it could be that Viz edited it to what they thought was a TV-Y7 cut and the BS&P still felt that with the sharp pointy objects it was TV-PG. So who knows?

5. Uame Kishi The Storm Ninja

I agree. That's exactly how I got into anime. I saw it on Toonami (Tenchi and Salior Moon) and I started liking it. It was not until I was 13 that I found out what it was called. Anime for the youth! Not that I dislike mature anime. I watch Cowboy bebop, Rurouni kenshin, Ghost in the shell, Fullmetal Alchemist etc. But it's good for the kids to get into it.

6. Panzer Kunst A Blizzard's Chorus

I suppose this is true for the newest generation of anime fans. I think I was brought into the fold on the second wave. Anime wasn't underground but it was still madly difficult to obtain.

I can see your point, and it's a good one, but there's plenty of anime being exposed to children of all ages these days. I can see anime-inspired art on crappy toys all the time where I work, which tells me that it's becoming much more common and perhaps even sought after, since many marketers seem to finally be catching on.

Every little bit helps. The truly hardcore will still have their fansubs and the upcoming uncut DVD's, which I'll scoop up as quickly as I can.

7. helldragon Member

I agree that Naruto belongs in toonami. It's doing well there with the PG rating. It's ratings are great too. I don't think it would do very well in Adult Swim. The teens may like but Adult Swim doesn't care about them. Both YYH and Case Closed are examples of this.

When it was first announced that Toonami would move to Saturdays, they said that it was gonna go from being a kids block to a teen block. A lot of people weren't convinced due to the way they still edited their shows. Gundam SEED was horribly edited. They did leave in some of the fanservice and shower scenes.

Content-wise, Toonami is definately a teen block due to how Naruto was edited. Ratings-wise, I'm not sure. It did make it to the top 30 shows in the 12-17 demographic.

8. LoneWolfOolt New Member

I've got friends from the ages of 13 to 27 already asking me how to get the subs for Naruto. They liked what was aired, and now they want the good stuff :)

Personally, I think the american ratings are for the birds. Way too much content limitation thanks to the religeous mindset in the states. All my friends watch the sub version of the animes and not the dubs, mainly due to all the editing and usual bad voicing.

Personally, I think Naruto would do better on Adult Swim with a lot less cuts. Hopefully Neon Evangelieon will be on AS as well. From what I have seen and heard, AS has had some pretty good ratings since conception.

As for it being too late, Kids stay up to see what they want to. People will find what they want if they know it is out there, and kids are no different than adults in that aspect.

9. blind51de Banned

Personally, I think Naruto is too juvenile for AS. There have been other shonen anime exceptions like YYH that worked well, but Naruto isn't dark enough to really matter.

Besides, the cheap uncut boxsets we'll be getting are less expensive than the HK bootlegs. So all the better.

Summary: Enjoy Naruto on toonami and see what becomes of it.

10. helldragon Member

AS is gonna air EVA this October. AS's recent anime ratings aren't very good. The american shows are the ones with the good ratings.

11. helldragon Member

I agree that YYH is more mature than Naruto but it was still not mature enough for AS. It's ratings with the adults were really low but it did well with teens and kids which is why it got moved to toonami.

12. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

Rumors state that Adult Swim might start showing subbed animes instead of subbed becasue of many fan mail of asking for subbed. They might do Naruto subbed.

13. blind51de Banned

The reason why anime on AS gets sorry ratings is because they always push the anime later at night except on Saturdays. And besides, Super Milk Chan is the worst poser anime ever. Yet I'm sure most people think it's a legitimate anime.
    Not a lot of new and exciting material either: How is Scryed supposed to compete with ATHF or Family Guy? Bah...

Anyways, I'm uber excited for Evangelion airing on AS(hopefully uncut). It's either going to be a massive success or dismal failure. Either way, I hope it blows enough minds.

14. Uame Kishi The Storm Ninja

I read some where that they weren't going to edit out the cross explosions. Like when stuff explodes the explosion goes into the cruifix. I am a christian and personally the religious stuff doesn't bother me. Because I know that it's just fiction.
    Anyway in response to the second paragraph. I like to obey my parents thank you very much and not stay up that late to watch AS on school days. Please do not go to that assumption that all kids do not obey their parents thank you.

15. blind51de Banned

Eva has more Judaism references in it anyways. The few Christian stuff like the cross explosions were just put in to look cool, stated.
    And (PS: Crucfix = Cross with the crucified Jesus that many Catholics wear. Please don't mix it up with a plain cross.)

And... DO YOUR PARENTS KNOW YOU TOUCH YOURSELF AT NIGHT?

16. Mangekyou_Master Fear the Smexy Reaper

For hiring better voice actors, have you heard Naruto VA for the english version; it's horrible! He hardly has any emotion in his voice.

17. blind51de Banned

K. The series is very young. It's going to keep going for years.
    Do you really think the voice actors aren't going to improve over this massive span of time they have to work and adjust their voices to better fit the character?

18. metalanime I like Tits

I hear alot about how the va isnt so bad, mainly because people compare it to how bad it could have been, but I have been saying from the beginning that it was going to lack emotion, and it does. I was kinda pissed when Iruka said "The Village Hidden in the leaves." Even though the translation was pretty accurate, it takes away from the feeling of it all. They could have left it as the hidden leaf village. I think that the translations tend to go too much by the book and and leave very little room outside the box, and what room is left is done in a way that kind of destroys the whole feeling for me. I understand that english is a different language, but it doesnt mean that it cant have the same feeling, because the high ends stuff really does have feeling. I guess thats just a sign of what naruto is at a professional level.

19. helldragon Member

AS said they are only gonna play one new anime subbed. I doubt it will be Naruto since CN doesn't want to air two versions of a show in their network. Anyway, I think CN is making a mistake. Ratings will be so horrible if they play a subbed series, that AS might even stop showing anime.

20. helldragon Member

Most AS viewers prefer the American shows. That's why they get better ratings. The anime ratings were great when they had 1 or 2 comedy shows in the beginning of the Saturday block. More people, who watched the saturady block just for the american shows, got introduced to the animes there. But when they took out the Futurama and Venture Bros., the anime ratings went down. When they put back futurama, the ratings began to improve. They're still not that great though.

As for Super Milk Chan, I dislike the straight (Adult Swim version) dub and the Japanese version, but I love the americanized version. It's 100% anime since it's from Japan.

21. Summoner Lenne Yondaime obessor

Hmm... well, first off, I have 10 year olds ranting to be about FMA. Trust me, little kids watch Adult Swim, on Saturday's anyway.

I think Toonami is more for little kids... and they watch Adult Swim also. GOD do they love Inuyasha and FMA (poor FMA *sniff sniff sniff*.)

It's true that Naruto will probably not be played on AS for a few reasons. 1 is Naruto WAS a kid's show in Japan. However their ratings are looser than our's so more's allowed, but in America it's still a kid's show, they just need to edit a bit more.

Eva was on AS before, like 5 years ago. It being put on again is... umm... interesting....... *laughs at the idea of 10 year olds watching it* Hark, how I love Eva.

And a subbed anime on AS... an interesting idea. Probably a horrible one but interesting.

I'm surprised that they get bad ratings though for the anime, so many people (read: kids) I know love it.

But I never thought of it that way so I guess it IS good Naruto is on Toonami, heh.

Ya... bye, heh.

22. helldragon Member

AS only cares about the ratings with the 18-34 demographic. They don't give a damn about the kids and teens who watch AS even though there are a lot of them.

AS never aired Eva. Toonami aired a few episodes of it a few years ago. It got heavilly edited.

23. silverwings Hero of Time

But AS *is* airing Eva starting in october. IIRC, the PR guy said the first few episodes were hardly edited. :p

24. helldragon Member

I know that. I mentioned it in another post. Summoner Lenne said that Eva aired 5 years ago on AS. I was correcting him.

25. Uame Kishi The Storm Ninja

If you look AS says some thing about being 14. so it would be 14-34.
    Agreeing to what was previously said yes ATHF does rock.

26. helldragon Member

The rating of their shows are usually TV14. That doesn't mean it's targetted at 14 year olds. They're just afraid of the parents who'll complain. Kim Manning of Adult Swim recently said that they'll try airinh TVMA shows.

When AS mentions the ratings of their shows, they always mention the 18-34 demographic. They don't care about teenagers. Case Closed was cancelled due to its poor ratings with adults but good ratings with teens. The same thing happened with YYH but it was moved to Toonami.

27. kakoishii bishoujo kunoichi no konoha

but Case Closed still does air. The last time I checked it was on at 5:30 yes it's an ungodly hour when no ones awake but it's still on none the less

28. helldragon Member

True. But those are old episodes. AS said they won't be getting new anymore due to poor ratings.

29. Uame Kishi The Storm Ninja

But what about Lupin III. It's also on a very early hour but still that anime is awesome. It's like the Daddy of Cowboy bebop.

30. UraharaKisuke Okiro, Benihime

In the first 2 episodes that have aired, I've only noticed the editting of blood scenes (Hokage vs "sexy no jutsu" doesn't have blood flying out his noce and Iruka vs "harem no jutsu" doesn't have blood either) and the kissing scene (Naruto + Sasuke)... although sounds were still there lol

I see why they edited those things out (damn tv ratings) but the voices (so far) is a little lame lol...

Konohamaru has a good voice
    Kakashi has a weird voice that doesn't really suite his personality
    Naruto... he sounds like a little girl w/ throat problems lol

however, the voice acting isn't too bad. The emotions are still somewhat present.

I'm sure they have a set group of dubbers though... just like Iron Chef... the voices from Iron Chef are quite familiar, aren't they? =P

Spoiler:
    Doesn't Kakashi sound like Urahara ? =] I just wanted to use a spoiler tag lol