• Emojis directly from your phone for all 🤗😬
  • CC
    Come enter in this week's GotW and PotW!
    Deadline for both contests is March 7 at 9 pm UTC.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

NARUTOFORUMS UPGRADE ISSUES THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

shieldbounce

Hey, can someone test my rep too? I too wish to see if my notifications work.

Yeah.
Yeah getting let know i can see rep from you @SantĂ­. @Mbxx we just need to fix the way rep works and allowing us to view rep we got.
Testing. Both of you should have gotten a message in a rep from me.

Personally, I am not seeing a message back because I turned notifications off, so yea

New Folder

is there a way to see the "history" of conversation between me & X memeber? :hm

like the entire convo gets displayed?
it was there in the old version (the one before the previous one :hm)

TheWiggian

He, who greets with Fire

No idea but iam sure the owner is already working hard to expose your last piece of privacy here, so that feature will arrive in due time and you'll probably have to donate to use it. :catsalute

SantĂ­

Absolutely Pigdisgusting
Advisor

Are you speaking about PMs or VMs? PMs, now conversations, should show the entire conversation history if the PM was made after the first Xenforo migration.

vBulletin PMs will be seperated per individual reply.

If you're talking about VMs, now profile comments, the profile-to-profile conversation page no longer exists, as profile page comments are all made within the same profile post.

shieldbounce

Does anyone else other than me want to get rid of rep yet? How's the climate looking for that?
What would this forum even be if rep were to suddenly disappear?

But then, accounts would still have ratings to go by when it comes to determining whether someone is unknown or well-known here in the community :mlpshrug ...

I'll miss Gin's spiral rep and the icons that you get when you reach a rep in the range of tens of millions though.

At least you could use those rep powers to flaunt your e-pen or dish out/give generously to ppl your massive rep powers with casual ease.
Spoiler:
I think the rep system should stay though since getting rid of something that big might cause a huge influx of posters protesting so that they can have their hard-earned e-pen points back.

Sloan

~*Supa Stacka*~
I don't care if Rep gets removed myself but since it's something most of the Forum would like back it shouldn't be removed imo.

@SantĂ­

You could just remove the Negative Repping option and that should be fine?

Remove negative ratins too 2 tho if rep gets removed.

SantĂ­

Absolutely Pigdisgusting
Advisor
I think the rep system should stay though since getting rid of something that big might cause a huge influx of posters protesting so that they can have their hard-earned e-pen points back.
Those who have enough e-pen points worth mentioning without being collectively laughed at out of this thread (AKA slightly over a dozen of the 200+ members who posted in this thread) aren't going to make all too much noise and generally don't give a shit about rep. Trust me on this one.

@SantĂ­

You could just remove the Negative Repping option and that should be fine?

Remove negative ratins too 2 tho if rep gets removed.
As I mentioned in the thread, the plug-in for rep doesn't support half a rep system. No one's written half a rep system.

There also is no reason for half a system when there is already fully functional, native system to the software which serves the same intended purpose as the reputation system, with half of the toxicity, half of the necessary moderation/regulation, and none of the technical nightmare we're experiencing now.

I'm not going to be shy about this one particular subject: Fuck what "most people" would like back when "most people" know nothing about the subject-matter. I'm trying to be as logical as I can about this from a perspective of a member who has: fucked around with a lot of the historical big rep circles on this forum, spent the majority of the last decade in the top 1% to 0.1% of this forum's caustic rep power hierarchy, someone who was historically known to have thrown around his neg power like public schools giving out condoms in a sex-ed class, and then ultimately someone who had to moderate rep from the staff side.

You can poll every staff member on this forum. I can promise you, I'm the most passionate on this subject but literally everybody on the staff who has ever had to moderate reputation across this entire god damn forum will feel extremely negatively about it. It was collectively decided not to moderate rep inflation and whoring roughly 3 years ago, and these grievances stretch back the decade across several generations of moderators.

So tell me, with all of this in mind, give me one good reason to keep the reputation system other than sheer demagoguery.

Sloan

~*Supa Stacka*~
There also is no reason for half a system when there is already fully functional, native system to the software which serves the same intended purpose as the reputation system, with half of the toxicity, half of the necessary moderation/regulation, and none of the technical nightmare we're experiencing now.
What is this other native system software you’re talking about?
So tell me, with all of this in mind, give me one good reason to keep the reputation system other than sheer demagoguery.
I already stated in the quote you replied to that I personally don’t care if it gets removed. Hell I bet all my rep back in October in the chrossilium it ain’t nun to me :c

I’ve only been active on here for about 10 months, I had 300 posts March of 2020. I don’t know about the history like that and have zero experience with rep circles.

SantĂ­

Absolutely Pigdisgusting
Advisor
What is this other native system software you’re talking about?
The Rating system.

Basically, Reputation was our "poster rating" system when our software was in vBulletin (2004-2015[?]), when we made the shift to Xenforo 1 the new system which replaced the reputation system inherent to Xenforo is our current rating/like system, albeit a few months in we were able to find the plugin and migrate our rep over anyways. While popular with the regulars, especially us senior members, I believe this to have been a mistake in hindsight. The reputation system in Xenforo doesn't work exactly like it did in vBulletin, and in my opinion it's a less fun/inferior version which has been watered down. One of the problems being neg rep power, which was supposed to be half of reputation power, was instead 100% of rep power which made abuse more painful and harder to tell people to "just get over it". This has been fixed in Xenforo 2 it appears, but we're having other technical problems which had never existed prior instead.

Sloan

~*Supa Stacka*~
The Rating system.

Basically, Reputation was our "poster rating" system when our software was in vBulletin (2004-2015[?]), when we made the shift to Xenforo 1 the new system which replaced the reputation system inherent to Xenforo is our current rating/like system, albeit a few months in we were able to find the plugin and migrate our rep over anyways. While popular with the regulars, especially us senior members, I believe this to have been a mistake in hindsight. The reputation system in Xenforo doesn't work exactly like it did in vBulletin, and in my opinion it's a less fun/inferior version which has been watered down. One of the problems being neg rep power, which was supposed to be half of reputation power, was instead 100% of rep power which made abuse more painful and harder to tell people to "just get over it". This has been fixed in Xenforo 2 it appears, but we're having other technical problems which had never existed prior instead.
I see.

I think in my time here I got negged a total of 3 times only, however I know most people aren’t as patient as me etc. I purposely(usually) try to word my posts in a neutral manner to avoid unnecesary conflict. It works for the most part. Got to 2 million/spiral rep pretty quick(had it around 3500 posts).

The only other Forum I browsed from 2010-2016 had nothing except likes. No Rep No dislikes no disagrees no nothing except like. It was a very moderate Pg-13 based Forums. You’d get infractions and bans for even making sexual innuendos/jokes.

In hindisght I think it made the jobs of the mods easier compared to what your experience was on here. I can tell things on Nf were a lot more chaotic at it’s peak.

ratings don't have an in-built messaging facility

that's by far the most appealing feature of rep by this point, the ability to send a quick private message relating to the specific post

idc by this point since mbxx' ineptitude has resulted in it being broken long enough that i've adjusted to a forum without it, but ratings aren't a direct substitute

also if the only reason for getting rid of rep is staff laziness then how about staff just taking it less seriously so it requires less moderation :sag

for example, i've gotten into trouble for negging an incredibly toxic member multiple times for when they've baited me, which they then complained about, and that's how it's always been, moderation of rep has always benefited the worst of the forum because they're the ones who tend to over-report and paint themselves as victims and demand the staff do something about it

but yeah, it'd probably be better if it was just scrapped at this stage because i doubt it'll ever be fixed

SantĂ­

Absolutely Pigdisgusting
Advisor
also if the only reason for getting rid of rep is staff laziness then how about staff just taking it less seriously so it requires less moderation :sag
That was done years ago when rep whoring/inflation stopped being managed, no? And this in itself is part of a balancing act where people want it to be taken "seriously but not too seriously"

for example, i've gotten into trouble for negging an incredibly toxic member multiple times for when they've baited me, which they then complained about, and that's how it's always been, moderation of rep has always benefited the worst of the forum because they're the ones who tend to over-report and paint themselves as victims and demand the staff do something about it
This pretty much hits directly to why I've been leading this crusade against it, negs are probably the single most over-reported thing in my experience and the rate I rejected them iwas substantially higher than anything else I can think of and it's not really close, but someone else can genuinely have his entire forum experience ruined and driven out of the forum by neg bullying we were lax on.

Honestly, I made my peace and had my closure with the rep system after Zaru gave us the Excel Spreadsheet to upload all of our messages before the first migration. Seeing this current situation, I just want this Patchwork Zombie to be put out of its misery so I can reminisce and oldfag about how cool and fun rep used to be.

SantĂ­

Absolutely Pigdisgusting
Advisor
As I mentioned in the thread, the plug-in for rep doesn't support half a rep system. No one's written half a rep system.
Correction: This was the case in Xenforo 1, negs can apparently be turned off now in XF2 but at this point it doesn't matter because fixing the rep system to a viable point where it'll be relevant/balanced again is going to take months of math, assuming Mbxx stops centralizing power (there's no indication he's going to stop).

If we keep rep, it'd be easier to wipe it all and start from scratch, Rewrite the formula and the whole shingdig :naruramen

SantĂ­

Absolutely Pigdisgusting
Advisor
No wait, I may have just tripped and stumbled into our solution for rep. We can god damn do it all.

Burn the whole thing to the ground, reduce everyone to 0; then re-write a new formula based on the new rep-only ecosystem from its ashes. Everyone's happy, and we have something that works.

shieldbounce

No wait, I may have just tripped and stumbled into our solution for rep. We can god damn do it all.

Burn the whole thing to the ground, reduce everyone to 0; then re-write a new formula based on the new rep-only ecosystem from its ashes. Everyone's happy, and we have something that works.
You being 100% sarcastic about this, or are you really planning on suggesting this for implementation?

But...

You could make a some sort rep-exchange system where if you can trade in enough of your rep, you can have access to cool things like increased avatar sizes and stuff.

Just make the rep system so that you can only rep ppl X number of times a day, and you have to give rep to different people Y number of times before you can rep the same person.

The value for X on the lower end, while Y on the higher end so that members aren't wantonly accumulating rep from others to the point that it would be super easy to get enough rep to exchange them for various prizes.

Not to mention ppl would actually have to think and choose who to give their rep points to if you can only (let's say) rep 3-4 people per day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom