1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Narutoforums Vs. The Roman Legions

Discussion in 'Outskirts Battledome Archive' started by Atsureki, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Atsureki Sowing Discord

The Roman Legions in the time of Nero. They numbered 28 and each contained about 5000 fighting men. They wore leather armor and carried wooden shields, and fought with 50 cm short swords.
    So about 140,000 bronzeage warriors, subject to the diseases that plagued large armies at the time.

-Versus-

The entire population of Narutoforums (30k maybe?), transported back into, say, the city of Ostia.
    We are immune to most of the diseases of the time or if not immune, having a much higher resistance. All modern knowledge and devices carried on our persons (cellphones, pens, money, ID cards) at the time can be used. Perhaps Utahcrip will have a gun or two on him.

We have a handful of members with knowledge about modern medicine, metallurgy, electronics, chemestry, and probably the greatest collection of anime trivialists in the history of the world. (Nybarius, KnK, Martryn come to mind as intellectual assets)

Also, the historians know all about the Romans, they know nothing about us. However the population of NF is comprised in large part of women, small children, and men in poor condition to fight.

NF gets 3 months prep time while the Legions assemble.

Who gets wiped out?

Tags:
  2. Shogun <marquee><font color='dark blue'>Standing Still</f

i'll have to go with us, we would probably think up of some sort of a decent plan, surely!!

3. Reznor Well-Known Member Administrator

Hmm..... If we were to win, we'd have to make sure that we took full advantage of our advantages over them, as well as advantage of the surprise we have.

We can't do this.

10% of the forum member's think they are the smartest person on the forum. It will be too difficult to get unity.

4. Raistlin-sama Have you been naughty or nice?

Well, the rest of those 10% are wrong...:wink

5. Shogun <marquee><font color='dark blue'>Standing Still</f

yeah, we would obviously divide, you know divide and conquer so we would all have our various division etc I guess it could be divided by the main fc's out there, I probably would be in the Bad Boys of NF crew

6. Zoro - inactive Siegfried Mustang

7. Lucifer Banned

weird thread. :huh, umm... noo Roman Legions are perfect Defense...

but NF will banned Roman Legiosn? ._. no fair... it was Fun Fantasy Battle... >_>

but... NF for winner, I say Reznor is the strongest of NF...

8. pnoypridz Member

we have guns and stuff so we probably will win

9. TheChoji Banned

Considering that around 85% of the people on the forums are never active, they would be sleeping the entire time. So the active members like me and others would throw the noobs out in the field while the Romans slaughter them along with their low post and rep power just like they deserve. Then we sit back and drink lemonade while the Star Wars attack droids finish off the stupid Romans.

10. Walker Member

Ill be like Naruto and take them all on myself. Believe it.

11. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

All I can say is that three months is enough time for me to assemble a stockpile of small-arms and explosives worthy of an NRA meeting.

This is an interesting match -- I'd like to inquire about the battlefield. Do I get to entrench myself in NYC with the rest of the NF NYC crowd? It would be pretty easy to fortify, seeing as how it's an island.

Imagine how many of their number we could deplete just by bl0.wing up the various bridges and tunnels while they storm us.

12. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Prep time in Roman time, or present time?

If it's present time, then likely we'd win with little problems. Roman Legion was a force in it's time, however it wasn't that subtle. 300 or so modern people with small-arms would take them out.

If it's in Roman time, chances are they'd win without even meeting any signifigant resistance. Fact is that most people don't have any knowledge that is useful in ancient history. Sure a chemist might be able to tell you how to make high explosives from basic chemicals, but chances are they don't know how to get those basic chemicals in a pure form without modern tools (maybe could make a crude form of gunpowder, but there wouldn't be enough time to do much with it that would be useful).

Now, with realism aside, I could take them myself. Why? I carry a small pocket-flashlight with me on a keychain. With this "magic" I would quite quickly convince the masses that I was a god, and get them to kill each other for my amusement. Now if I can just overcome that nagging language barrier...

13. Reznor Well-Known Member Administrator

EvilMoogle makes a good point :O

Haha, I stole GK's thunder XD

14. sasuke_limays I want to be HOKAGE!!!!!

hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    why are you steal the others things

15. Valdens !

wow, this in no way resembles my thread, Valdens vs Hitler/Narutofan Forums vs WWII Nazis. but um yeah, i summon smoker prime and save us all. pwn!

16. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

Well considering that this goes for every forum, I guess that's almost canceling point.

17. The Space Cowboy Unfair, Unjust, Human

We all get killed and/or enslaved in short order unless one of us rises up to lead and we all train and prepare like mad. The leader might not end up being the one with the most or best posts.

I can design and build siege weapons as well as primitive field artillery given enough rope, lumber, fasteners, and time. I'm also pretty good with Latin.
    I can also make primitive paper, although I'll need the druggies of NF to grow lots of hemp for this (We can introduce the smoking of hemp and drugs! Yay).

I have some idea of how to make gunpowder from scratch/poop, as well as make very large flat sheets of glass.

Without a tech base however I can't do much. Using a Roman tech-base however, I can do small, unimportant things such as introduce the mouldboard plough (and introduce the mill). Mild steel is also readily possible as would be a lightning-quick communication system using semaphore or morse.

So it seems the first order of business would be to seek out an ally. We need -a- production base to start with otherwise we're boned. Everyone knows this from Starcraft. We'd need to chop more trees, mine more gold, and drill for oil. The girls of NF would need to marry into wealthy, influential families, make babies, and gain us wealth/influence unless they have competencies not related to the modern era.

Secondly, the guys of NF would need to make lots and lots of very profitable tech advances. It doesn't have to be giant leaps just sustainable.

In three months, we get slaughtered. But the trick is to not fight the Roman legions on their own terms. Give us three years and we could take them. We'd lose to the legions outright, but give us more time, and we could take over the Empire or at least incite representative democracy. What era legion are we talking about anyhow?

18. Spacey Eternal beauty

With my Ryuugan we could conquer anything!

19. Yamato (Inactive) Banned

Just several (~200) sniper riffles and a lot of ammo will be enough :p They will get wiped out before the will get close enough to hit us with those swords of them.

20. Tousenz Banned

My incredible knowledge of Mcgyver-senpai and his abilities will be invaluable.

21. CrazyMoronX Old Man

All we really have to do is have UtahCrip have sex with one of their local barmaids.

He carriers numerous STDs (as proven in his thread about doing his friends girl), and it would spread through the army rapidly, as everyone in that time raped women, and then had sex with eachother, it's historical fact.

Given their weak immune systems, the effects of the various stds would destroy them!

22. Reznor Well-Known Member Administrator

As if the Roman Legion operates only in hand-to-hand combat. An arrow swarm would kill us easily, as would an attack at night fall.

And your precious sniper rifles can be block with tower shields (unless they are some crazy caliber.)

23. Valdens !

heres an idea. since people back then were stupid, we tell them their shoes are untied. they have no laces, but hte stupids forget. as they ar bending down, we take their sword and slice their head. likewise we tell them that god is behind them, they look, and we do what is said above. we could win by taking advantage of their stupidity. one last idea. we spraypaint rocks gold, and give them a few tons of this "gold" to let us win. another idea is that we all get mp3 players and put on eye of the tiger. that way they could kill us, then we get to go train and we come back and kill them. another idea is that we summon the mighty smoker prime by the sacrificing of n00bs. one last idea is that we bake them muffins and be friends.

24. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Tower shields were made of wood. Anything that would qualify as a "sniper rifle" would shoot through them without much of a problem. They'd stop or slow down smaller guns (.22's, etc), at least at long range though.

Still doesn't off-set the numbers factor though. You'd kill maybe 1000 of them before they close ranks and finish it off. A rifle suddenly becomes much less useful when the guy's right next to you.

Personally if I were trying to win with a small number of guns, I'd go for big and flashy. Loud + high rate of fire, you're shooting into a crowd not at specific targets kill a few hundred in the first minute of the fight and I'll bet they'll bolt.