1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto's Accent - datte bayo?

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by MattRK, Oct 11, 2004.

1. MattRK

First of all, this has to do with the anime. Seems like most of the posts in this forum are about the manga. :D If its in the wrong place, please move it. :D Thanks!

Anyways, i've been watching Naruto since episode 1. One thing that i've always noticed, is that at the end of most of what naruto says, he adds some sort of sound. Its hard to describe. Is this some sort of accent? Or is it actually part of the word or words he's saying. I dont know Japanese, so i dont know. It may be a tense or something. :D Anyways, i would just like to know if anyone has any clue. Thanks for the help!!

-Matt

Edit by Axass: Detailed explanation here: Tenjou Tenge 19 - 24

Tags:
  2. bluewolf

JA!!! i have been wondering about that for a long time..

he always adds --byyo to the end of a sentence. whats up with that?

3. metalanime

4. Haha...been wondering the same thing. Nice to see someone vocalize it.

Sounds like 'Ach Te Bayo' to me...or something similar.

5. shizune (inactive)

its "datte-bayo" means something like "u know" but its actually juz an expression.. the jap likes doing these kinda things... konohamaru says "ko-re" behind his sentences and most females use "yo" to soften their sentences.. :)

6. Fullmetal Moderator

lol, well said shunza ;)

7. m0nr

its sorta like how chinese people say 'lah' after some stuff :p

8. flamealchemist

i heard it also and wondered the same thing "what the fu*k is he saying" but it sounds like " datte baiyou" i am pretty sure thats what he says.. "ohayo sakura chan datte baiyou" yeah see it makes sence.

9. fyredriftwood

It's weird-- I think that we all thought at one time or another that Naruto adds weird things. The one thing that we MUST worry about is if/when the series is picked up for translation through American Companies-- will they translate the "datte bayo"?

::remembers ChiChiri's "No da" from Fushigi Yugi being translated into "you know" and shudders::

10. aLkeMiSt

Lol, I've been wondering the same thing for a while. When I asked my friends, they didn't know what I was talking about. They never noticed it, so I thought I was crazy. Thanks, now I know I'm partially sane =).

11. EroKage

look at the phrase under my name..it explains everything...its a sort of exclamtion-affirmation,like "you know"or "yeah"..or any like that...

12. YamazakiSusumu

Sometimes it's just "-tte bayo." It really matters what the last word he said was. Anyway, "datte bayo" basically doesn't mean anything. It's just a quirk in the way he talks that adds to his noisy personality. The "da kore" that Konohamaru says all the time is kinda like a little kid trying to sound older. The "yo" that Sakura says can be like a reinforcer word... If you're telling people that you are from the United States, you could say "Amerikajin desu yo" if you wanted. This stuff is hard to explain lol.

These words don't have translations in english and that's why you don't see them in the subtitles.

13. flamealchemist

14. Aoi

did you know that naruto's voice is done by an older woman?

15. MechaTC

16. EroKage

yep..and did you know that all 4 kids from south park are done by an old huncbacked woman?(im NOT kidding!!!)

17. YamazakiSusumu

Aoi: Takeuchi Junko is 32... I wouldn't call that old woman age.

EroKage: Kenny, Kyle, Stan, and Cartman's voices (along with most of the South Park cast) are done by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park.

18. EroKage

well that's not what i heard....but maybe im wrong..im pretty sure that that was in the old days...now its an old lady..or an ugly lady...i cant remember... :D

19. YamazakiSusumu

Their voices are the same as they always were.

20. antguillotine

Interesting....I wonder how many other animated shows have transgendered vioces...?

21. antguillotine

i meant to say, how many shows have the same situation of voice actors those genders are different from the characters

22. Gejimayu

Well, the voice of Bart Simpson is Nancy Cartwright.

Also, Naruto's sentence ending "-datteba yo" or however you want to space it can be broken up into "da" which is the informal "desu", the sentence ending verb which is equivalent to "it is", "-tteba" which I don't know the translation of, but it serves as an enforcing phrase, and "yo" which, like everyone said, is a mostly feminine sentence ending particle used for emphasis.

To me, though, this isn't the most notable thing about Naruto's accent. What gets at me is how he talks like a 12 year old Yakuza, almost completely abandoning useless syllables like "a" and "i", for example; "omae" becomes "omee", "urusai" becomes "urusee", "wakanai" becomes "wakanee", etc.

edit: I think it I've heard "-tte wayo" instead of "ba", if that's the case, "wa" is just another femenine emphasis particle.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  23. YamazakiSusumu

1. Goku, Krillin, Goten, and Gohan were all done by female seiyuu. It might've been the same woman for some of them, but I don't remember...
    2. Naruto, Haku, Konohamaru, and even Orochimaru are played by women.
    3. Kamatari (the gay guy in Shishio's group) from Rurouni Kenshin was also played by Takeuchi Junko. Even Kenshin himself had a female seiyuu.
    4. Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho was voiced by a female named Okata Megumi.
    5. Okita Soujiro in Peacemaker Kurogane was female voice actor, Saiga Mitsuki. Mitsuki also did the voices of Tsukasa and Elk in .hack, Jing in King of Bandit Jing, and Raven in Zoids.
    6. Ichimura Tetsunosuke in PMK was played by Kobayashi Yumiko, the same person who did Nawaki in Naruto.

There are countless other females who do male voices in anime. It's actually quite common for young boys and feminine men.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  24. bluewolf

women can do a young persons voice much easier than a man can so its comon.

now if you found out that the little girl in samurai 7 was done by an over wieght 47 year old man.. that would be amazin.

25. aLkeMiSt

26. tragedy_play

Not quite, those [la]'s you hear Chinese people speak at the end of the sentences are actually sentence final particles. In English, we usually modify the mood or meaning of a sentence by uttering it in a different tone. However, since Cantonese is a tonal language, where changing the tone of a word may actually change the word into a different word, there is much less flexibility to do so. This is where the sentence final particles come in. These particles are often used to modify the mood or sometimes even the meaning of a sentence. Its purported that Cantonese may have up to a hundred of these particles, but in reality the ones used in daily life number much less.

27. themusic889

yea weird...i noticed too...but iuno japanese...soo>.<

28. NarutoGDR

I've readed some documents and the word datte-bayo doesn't have a proper translation in english. From the source i've found that, datte-bayo is a part of a sentence that tells to the hearer about his age and his role in the society. If you think that datte-bayo has a precise meaning, as "you know", try to search for this kind of words. Every character in Naruto tell something, but it's different. And Naruto says "Datte-bayo" an huge amount of times!!!

Bye Bye :cool

29. siewmei88

well said tragedy play!! and actually,generally chinese dun use lah..it's MALAYSIAN chinese that uses lah and some singaporeans too but more common for the malaysian chinese.

thanks shunza.....now i know 'lah'.....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  30. It is naani nan dattebayoooo