1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto's motto

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by shibigoku, Nov 19, 2005.

1. shibigoku Master of the fist

In the manga, Naruto says: "that is my ninja way!" and it sounds cool and stuff. I recently started watching the anime and it seems that they've replaced "that is my ninja way" by "beleive it" and this is really annoying. I think I'll stop watching the anime just because of that "beleive it". Anyone finds that "believe it" annoying?

Tags:
  2. Raptor Vagabond

Never saw the dub. try the sub it's always better. :amuse

3. deathbychocolate Member

wow, you're going to stop watching the anime just because of a line.

4. xeno Emmissary of Dance

I think they replace Dattebayo with believe it, not that's my way of the ninja, just watch the sub, the dubs are horrid.

5. Pazuzu Translavetor

Firstly, "nindou" is not a ninja way, it's a way of life. Kishimoto explained that himself.

Secondly, one line should not make you go "zomg dub's bad ew". It's not a bad line.

6. Master Scorpion UG's High Priest

yeah it's annoying when Naruto said "this is my way of ninja" and it doesn't sound cool

7. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

lol you confused me when you said anime. I'd be easier to clarify if you said the dub. In the japanese version, I'm pretty sure I heard him say kore wa nindo...... anyway if you're talking about the dub then, I dunno, I haven't seen the dub in a while since I only saw about 3 episodes of it.

8. Yggdr?sill Hero Of The Half-Elves

Dattebayo is sooooooooooooooooo annoying i hate naruto cuz of that phrase with no meaning...

9. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

I always thought Dattebayo was a derivative of Desu or da or de gozaimasu/arimasu.

10. icoselitham Lost

"Believe It" was as close a translation to "Dattebayo" Viz could get.

11. ubadawan PathWalker

12. Heihachi Whatever will be will be...

It gets REALLY annoying after a while, he even says it when he's thinking! That pushed it, but its still not unwatchable.

13. Keyser S?ze Formerly Midnight Joker

the only reason believe it is hated is because the dub uses it a lot. lol. if he said it like once an episode it wouldn't be bad.

14. deathbychocolate Member

i mean, if its that bad, and to the people who cant stand watching it, then please stop watching it, instead of coming here and complaining about how bad this and that is. Its not going to change even if all of us here dont like the way they make it sound. another alternative is to not be lazy and download the damn subs

15. Uzumaki~Kakashi Tomoyo's #1

The "believe it" tag phrase is annoying after Naruto uses it 5 times in one episode. But I'm not going to not watch it because of just that. I like the subs so I usually just rewatch them instead.

16. shatoshi The Endless Sorrow

17. Kistle Female Junior Ninja

Who really gives a crap... It's just a line. :huh

18. shatoshi The Endless Sorrow

19. Volken Heureusement

A line that annoys and is repeated almost incessantly could also make me stop watching. It's like those little quirks you begin to notice in people and God they annoy you to no end that you start avoiding them. I'm sure anything, like saying "believe it," that's done all the time can get on people's nerves.

Complaining about shit we don't like in the manga/sub/dub is all we do in this retarded forum. Telling people to stop doing it is just as useless as you think his complaint is.

20. Heihachi Whatever will be will be...

21. TenshiOni Active Member

1. They did no replace his motto with "believe it". They replaced "Dattebayo" with "believe it"...y'know, the WORD HE ALWAYS SAYS after almost all his sentences in the original Japanese.

Viz just picked the closest translation for Dattebayo that they could that best fits most occasions. Most translators would agree "Believe it" was probably the wisest choice.

If you're annoyed by american Naruto, it's only because you don't know Japanese. Japanese Naruto says "Dattebayo" as much as English Naruto says "Believe it."

Hell, there have even been hour specials titled, "Raging Dattebayo Special!"

:notrust

2. There's already a thread about bashing on "Believe it" in the English Naruto Discussion section.

22. Kousai Member

Well shibigoku if your refering to the dub version Naruto doesn't start saying "my way of the ninja" or "my way of life" as Pazuzu put it until the end of the Zabuza arc I believe, so I don't think you need to about that peticular pharse until episode 19 I think.

As for believe it, it can't be helped. I mean if they didn't try to substitute something of dattebayo then all the sub fanboys would get mad and if the left it dattebayo all the US might not like the weird pharse plus the sub fanboys would still get mad since they would most likely mispronounce (even slightly) and then we'd have people going "we didn't they just leave it out if you can't say it properly". So then we have the third opition with no dattebayo substitute which could still live people mad since they want the dub as close the the original. Or as a 4 opition they could just change "believe it" to something else like "ya know" or "don't ya know". Which is ok I guess, but the thing I like about believe it is that it's unique and you'd never catch any old someone saying it in a common speech, also if someone just happens to make fun of Naruto's way of speech everyone would know it's Naruto there making fun of not just speaking in regular speech
    ex:If Sasuke said "If you don't want to owe me anything, become stronger then me ya know" then you wonder if that's just they way he choose to pharse himself but if he said "If you don't want to owe me anything, become stronger then me believe it!" Then we all know that he teasing him, but that's just my opinion.

23. Centeolt Envoy from the Dark Abyss

I find the dubs okay, but it easily get on my nerves everytime I hear "Believe it" thousand of times in one eps.

24. Sakura Active Member

all im thinking is it might be powerful for naruto to say, "this is my ninja way" but for ppl who watch anime. itz not fun having him repeat that every single battle

25. Naruto_Rasengan Banned

holy shit mate... its 1 line.. if your gonna give up on such an awsome anime i pitty you...

26. shibigoku Master of the fist

The annoying thing about it is that he says it 5+ times in one episode and everytime I hear it, I get a little more irritated. I'll DL the subs from now on.