1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Nature or Nurture?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Jester12, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Jester12

Well here is a classicl I think no one has touched as of yet... what contributes to our very being or emotional stand point? Many say that ist the up-bringing we have while others say that it is our gene's from our parents. I think its a bit of both 30% genes 30% up-bringing and 40% from our own sence of being or our indeviduality. What do you guys and girls have to say?

Tags:
  2. yo586

I take the standpoint that in our very early years (newborn and toddler), our nature plays a big role in our behaviors.
    From this, experiences play upon this nature and begin to change who we are from a very young age. By the time we are 5 or 6, experiences (aka nurture) are the main determiner in our personality.
    Nature is somewhat of a foundation that, in extreme cases, plays a large role throughout life (ex. person with autism). Generally though, nature only dominates nurture at the youngest ages of a person.

3. Dark_wolf247

i believe that some of our personality DOES come from genes, b/c some traits of a personality may be able to be passed on...(lol, im not sure) However, i would have to say that most if it is determined on ur upbringing. yes, when u get older, u have a sense of individuality and u become ur own persona dn what not, but the way ur raised has a lot to do with the type of friends u make or how u act around other ppl.

some ppl are raised in a very stable enviroment, and may or may not have stable emotions. Based on personal experience, however, those with unstable enviroments and chaotic childhoos grow up to be wary of the ppl around them.

Often the strictness of ur up-bringing also has something to do with ur prsoinality. A person who was raised in a strict family demanding respect will learn to respect elders and therefore, may have a more sophistacated nature about them. Those brought up in families with little or no discipline may come up as a teen or a child that does not show respect to elders and is not respected by them. I will not say, however, that they are unsophisticated, b/c many can straughten up their act when need, but have a more dominant personality about them.

experiences also key in big-time. For instance, it is said that half of whom were abused as a child abuse their own children, while the other half may not spank their child at all for fear of becoming like their parents.

Our upbringing and experiences have a lot to do with how we turn out as an adult, and what are outlook on life becomes.

However, that is only my opinion, and dont take me seriously, i am only 13.

4. Dark_wolf247

Thx, but i think it was Dyroness who created it(so im told) its for the new gaara FC.

5. kireato

Nature and nurture, obviously. And as for something else coming into play... That would be for those who believe in reincarnations: not me.

6. sasukecopyninja

wow the impossible to decide Psychology debate man i love this ok here, there really is no right or wrong both play a hug part, lol although they are very much elanring towards Narute because they did alot of studies on twin who are seperated at birth raised in diff part of teh world diff families ect and com out so similar you'd swear they were raised in the same home, so that proves Nature plays ALOT but so does Nurture cause here sya your parents raised you to be the nice person, your more then likley to be nice, but if they raise you to be bad dont give a fuck attitude ur ognan be like that but then heres another statment on top of that if they raise you to be liek that that means they're probably the same wya so Gnetics are gonne play a role there so when you break ti all down Nature has a step up on Nurture lol, or atleast that is the way i view it all.

7. Marl

It's all nurture, I'm afraid. Our morals and society define our character, as we react to different circumstances according to how we think we should act based upon our ethics.

If you're raised from birth to be a person who loves animals, you'll love animals. If you're raised to disregard human life and kill, you will kill, simple as.

8. cool2not

How about a little bit of both? Most scientist today agree that a person's personality isn't completely dependent on just their genetic makeup or how there were brought up, but is based on a combination of the two.

9. yeah this is so 50-50, nature and nurture.

10. Jester12

*writing down everyones responce* I like all of this info! Please keep it coming! I have a paper on this subject due soon and I like all of these good points!

11. Jester12

Oh no thats not what I mean... for this report I need people to give their own personal views of this topic.

12. lekki

I suspect that it's a bit of both aswell. I haven't met a person yet who does not have something of their parents in their own personalities.
    What you contribute to your personality is basically a remix of their personalities combined with your own unique experiences.

Even as a toddler, it has been shown that even that early, they imitate the parents and people around them.

13. HyugaHinata

Nature and nurture both have an effect on the way we behave, but certain things are more heavily influenced by our genes, such as how tall we are likely to be (although a poor diet may stunt growth).

Talent and hard work do have an impact on our successes in sports, more so than in academic studies (where hard work is more important).

It may seem unfair, but this is what I believe - those born with sporting talent will always do better than those who work hard, all other things being equal, and assuming that they train the same.

14. kireato

What makes you think it's 20% and 80% respectively?

15. sasukecopyninja

ok as a baby and a todler you mimic what you se n hear, but thats jus to start you off, everyone seems to think that they're like thir parents because of the way your raised and here your wrong on about 70-80% of its because the way ppl act is in their genetic makeup, and since theirs passes down to you its natural for you to be like that, the majority of psychologist say Nature is the dominate and thats that, simple yes, I spent a very long while on this learning it, I'e written a few essays and dont severakl test on it, and all the data ive ogtten points ot Nature being the msot dominate

16. Solemn_Thinker

I won't put it into percentages, but I think that nature is basically the base for a person's being (frankly because I believe your personality is partially decided by your genes), then the nuture of your parents/caretakers and the interaction of the factors shift the foundation. How much it moves depends on the person's personality and what is causing the shifts.

17. sasukecopyninja

I still do believe that Nurture just brings out your gentic traits. i will say that your envoriment will definatly influence teh way you life, but not who you are, thats all the enviorment really does. But Nature, think about it, if it was all nurture then why da hells does we got genetics besides jsut got our apperiance then, really, Genetics decide everything, they've even found the genetic trait for depression. Soon enough they're gonna be able to manipulate Genetic so our parents iwll know exactly who were ognan be which is just worng but it;ll happen

18. Heldensheld

only 5% of DNA is unlocked....the other 95% is unknown!

19. Twizted

20. wolfman_120

Its 50-50. We inherit stuff from our parents but if we choose to use them in the society we live in or adapt with the new things that is our choice

21. Nala Matsuki

Both

In a general Psychology class, we debated this issue and came up with this conclusion: genes (nature) gives us a genetic disposition on how well we funtion in everday life. However, the enviroment, or how we were raised (nurture), activate or increase these genetic dispostions we are born with. I am a living example of this theory. My family, or most of it, that is, has depression (only mild, no suicide attempts). So, in my view, I was born to have a genetic dispostion to depression. In spite of that, I grew up as a normal, happy child until Middle School. The enviroment, in my opinion, triggered my geneitc dispostion to be depressed, thus I developed depression.

22. AbnormallyNormal

23. 64palms

To my knowledge, we don't know enough about genetics and all that yet to make a clear case as to how much is determined by life experiences, and how much is caused by genetics.

There does however, seem to be a lot of cause for both.
    I think some people downplay genetics because of the history of eugenics.
    That's a sentiment that shouldn't get in the way of unbiased scientific evaluation.

Make no mistake though, you shouldn't blame a person for how they turned out as if it were innate. A person is made up of their experiences. That's the problem with the idea of free will and sometimes biological determinism, that you blame the person instead of taking into account the experiences that made them who they are.

Personal experiences are worth evaluating what makes people up as genes.
    However, I am leaning from what I've read to a more nature standpoint.

24. Mashy

How I see it:

40% / 60% respectively

Genetic determinism plays a part in my beliefs. If you study theoretical constructs like the myers briggs, socionics, enneagrams... though all flawed, (what isn't) they all support the idea that a large chunk of us is genetically predisposed.

I wouldn't outright claim that our "core" is concrete and unwavering, simply obstinate. Some of us are avaricious, some of us reticent, and these traits are just part of our nature. These may change through external factors such as social influence, just as a metal railing may be encased in rust over the years. The metal railing is still there. :]