1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Neighbors who say 'relationships matter more than politics' stir up drama on Facebook

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Onomatopoeia, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Onomatopoeia In a word: Brilliant

Thoughts? :hmm

Tags:
  2. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    Getting fucked by neighbors is way better than getting fucked by govt

So yes
    Love > Politics

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

If it works for them, why try to ruin it? Maybe they know something the rest of us don't.

Peace and stability is everyone's end goal. If these neighbors have found that even with differing views, then good for them. Social media be damned.

4. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    I don't think people are trying to ruin it, it's just that others want to give them perspective. They don't really show how divided the line really can be, especially when it comes to stuff like workers rights and human rights. While it may not be their goal when it comes to voting for that party, it is a biproduct they helped to create.

As for me personally, I understand why people would vote conservative. But I also will judge you, I don't feel anything other than contempt for a party that wants to deny my rights or deny my existance.

Ideally I don't talk to friends about politics to avoid it entirely though.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

I see your point. I have a simple rule when it comes to conversations in general. I never discuss politics, religious views, personal history, or proper ways to raise children. All of these can be hot button issues that can easily spark a large flamewar whether online or in person.

As for the thread topic, I still see the social media people as being wrong. We don't live in bubbles surrounded only by like-minded individuals, but by people who are very different than us. We work with them, we live next door to them, and we eat at the same places.

Should we isolate ourselves from other's simply because they choose to have their own beliefs? I say no. That isn't ideal at all. I think it takes a certain level of maturity to be able to live civily with someone who's views/lifestyle you disagree with morally/politically.

Others trying to throw in unnecessary comments and questions just seems like stirring the pot to me. If peace exists, let it live.

6. HolyHands Let me touch you

I can understand why minorities like LGBT can see politics as a dealbreaker in relationships. The conservative party is currently openly hostile against transgendered people's mere existence, let alone their rights, and their treatment of gay people isn't all that hot either.

If we're talking economic policy, it shouldn't be a big deal since everybody's going to have a conflicting opinion on that, but when it comes to human rights and social issues, it's a different story. Nobody should fault a trans person for cutting off ties with their family when that same family is ranting about "degenerate trannies just wanna invade bathrooms and rape women".

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    I agree with you in that we do have to cooperate with eachother. But two people claiming that "agree to disagree" and talking about how it's the ideal way is really coming from a strange bubble. Like I can agree to disagree with someone opposing economic policy, easy, it's not a huge personal thing. But someone opposing my right to not be discriminated at work, or denying care to myself and the people I love? That's not something I and others can agree to disagree. I can remain civil to them sure but I don't really want to be their friend.

Trying to advocate for peace and love when they're generally uneffected by these policies is living in ignorance. One party wants to rid my rights, voting for that party isn't peace and love.

8. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    This is EXACTLY where I'm coming from with this. Luckily my family is accepting but boy oh boy I will have some choice words once provincial elections come up.

*snip
    Quoted post was deleted ~

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2018
  9. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Yeah, I'm not saying be friends with everyone, just that it should be possible to live civily. As in, not be at each other's throats at the sight of one another.

My fear is that all this hate and dispute will take us back to the golden age of segregation where actual beatings and open racism is the norm. And I know, these things still happen today, but we aren't quite to that point yet.

The bigotry and racism has always been there, but somehow and at some point between the 50s and recent years, it's been sort of placed aside and people just lived amongst each other. Where it's on the back of your mind that so and so might think and feel this, but if the matter didn't come up, you went about your business. Now it's resurfacing and I just hope the MAGA dream doesn't come to fruition.

Like, should I quit my job is known MAGA supporters work there? Or should I be able to do my job despite them, even if I have to see or be around them frequently or regularly?

10. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    Yeah this is why I don't talk politics, especially at work.

Unfortunately its only a matter of time before someone brings up my trans status as something to talk about, and it immediately becomes somewhat political.

My biggest issue with identity politics is how prevalent it makes the politic discussion. I mean you can advocate, protest and inform when appropriate. But bringing it up out of nowhere isn't a good look no matter the thing said.

But don't expect me to be a happy camper when you vote red (blue in Canada) and make it known.

11. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

That's all I'm saying. Time and place for everything. There's a time to voice your beliefs, but I just don't see the need or reason to rain on these chap's parade other than pure frustration.

12. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    The need for it is to bring to light how little perspective they both have for the issues that others face. That's all the Facebook commenters are saying. Calling for peace, love, civility is great and all but when you have no nuance or perspective on it, you look disengenuous, condescending and/or ignorant (even inadvertently).

I don't use the privilege card often but they actually are speaking from a place of privilege.

It's great that they can hop past the political line between themselves, but they're speaking as if this line is the same for everyone. It's not.

13. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

But what does it accomplish to call them out on it? Other than to stir up unneeded strife?

14. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    They put this message out there and intended it to reach a bigger audience. Criticizing of that message comes with that, as well as putting out the message of that criticism.

15. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Fair enough. I suppose if you put yourself out there like that, you can only expect such backlash. Especially in current times.

16. The Kamal Haasan Crazy Hour Well-Known Member

What does that do for you or anyone?

* snip
    Quoted post was deleted[/QUOTE]

17. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Factionalization and tribalism lead to suboptimal outcomes for everyone. When the other guys honestly believe you to be the enemy, hostile to their interests, rather than simply fellow Americans with different priorities, they're much more willing to disenfranchise you completely.

Sooner or later, they get the chance.

18. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    I just think less of them. Not a huge thing really.

19. The Kamal Haasan Crazy Hour Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty big.

20. zeroantizero Well-Known Member

The thing is, you can't compromise if you can't communicate civilly and friendly with each other. Nor can you change minds. All you're doing is hardening their opinions - making enemies out of neutrals, and enemies more militant.

The world is never going to be 100% what you want it to be. You need to learn which battles to fight and how to fight them without being demanding or toxic about it.

21. The Kamal Haasan Crazy Hour Well-Known Member

*snip
    Quoted post was deleted

This is the CAFE.

22. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    Nah. It's just an opinion I hold for someone else, I'm glad you hold value in my opinion but in the grander scheme of things it's not a big deal.

23. The Kamal Haasan Crazy Hour Well-Known Member

Someone thinks less of someone because of politics sounds important.

24. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    I think informing people civilly is the best thing to do. But a lot of people are hardset in their beliefs and there can be no compromise that can be reached. I'll give you an example where there is no compromise, and it's conveniently mentioned in this thread:

There's no compromising in this position. You either take away the rights or give them.

25. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    You don't and can't speak for me. I don't think its a big deal for me and that's that.

26. zeroantizero Well-Known Member

Quoted post was deleted

Maybe not. But I feel that if they accept you personally, they're already open-minded enough for general acceptance.

27. sworder    

Man, fucking left, giving people more basic rights

where's the dumb rating

28. The Kamal Haasan Crazy Hour Well-Known Member

Rights narratives collide, bad things can also happen.

29. Natty Cursed lipstick lesbo

Canada
    In all my experiences with "You're one of the good ones", and I try to explain to them that I'm not an exception.. That's when they close off and become hostile.

They already had the opinion that trans people are yucky or whatever, me being an exception to that idea is really the only exception in their mind. Nothing I can do to change that unless they meet others like me.

30. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Section on the collapse of Athenian democracy. Sound familiar at all?

I know Khaleesi is insane and wants to see America destroyed because her subsequent death in the civil war would be totally worth it, but the rest of you should really sit back and breathe.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List