1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Discussion in 'Off the Air' started by Absolute Zero, Sep 26, 2004.

Who is your favorite character?

1. Shinji

10 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. Asuka

29 vote(s)
    33.0%
  3. Rei

15 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. Misato

14 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. Ritsuko

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kaji

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Gendo

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. Toji

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. Kaworu

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  10. The angels

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Absolute Zero

Easily my favorite anime of all time. It's just so...profound.

Anyone else like it?

Tags:
  2. Sparky

My boyfriend bought me the boxed set for my birthday(*<3's him*), and I liked it a lot. *watched it all in one day*
    I wouldn't say it was my favorite, but it was good. :)

3. Kage_Bunshin212

it was one of my favorites too, but i just cant get over the damn ending, wayyyy too confusing. heard they ran out of money so they needed to put something together with their limited funds

4. mow

I loved this show but the ending fucked it up for me ( pardon my language, but i get really pissed when i remember evangelion)

5. Absolute Zero

I'm one of the rare breed who loved both the TV and End of Evangelion endings (which do tell the same story/event, albeit in a much different manner).

First time I saw the entire thing, it was all I could think about for a good week.

6. mary no jutsu

i enjoed evangelion a lot. i watched it when i was 10 and was like wat the hell. but now i rewatched it and i understand it alot more. its so deep and it was one of the first animes that i watched that had a deep meaning. probably one of the best animes out there. does anyone know that there making a live action movie of evangelion

7. Hinatalovesme

*Plays "It's Gendo" theme* ooh baby ;D lol

I can easily say that Eva is definately my favorite without a hitch....and the parody ReDeath kicks but as well =D

8. sekitheifrit

Evangelion is what got me into anime, and it has always been my favorite. I liked the series, and the movies. I also can't wait to see the live action adaptation i use to hear so much about.

9. otakufan

Evangelion is my favorite anime ever, but FMA is catching up quick.

Eva can't stay on top forever... T_T
    ...Please don't let them screw up the live-action movie!!!!!

10. Kaiosama

The ending in the TV series was just awful, I'm glad that I can only barely remember it. At least End of Evangelion gave you some stuff to think about.

11. Vaelen

One of the greatest shows of all time.. :) Loved both the TV-ending and the End of-ending.. :D Have to watch it again.. :D

12. BlackMorpheus

It's one of my favourites, but too short... it should have been longer!

13. SoulFire

Rei was my first anime love :eek: I have all eps available on DVD...
    I cant believe how they ended the series, but The End of made a lot of things right...eventough i'll never cope with the "death" of Rei 1 ;_;

14. Mecha-Tama

I love Evangelion and all, but it's a bit overrated IMO

15. ChibiHannes

I tried to understand the greatnes with it by reading an article about it in a swedish manga magazine, but I still didn't understand why almost everyone loves it so much >_<

It was only fun when Kauro was there ^__^ It was REALLY fun. The scenes with him and Shinji were the only good in the series. And Shinji's beautiful voice of course ^^

16. kenris

Everything but the ending was good. I love the End of Evangelion except for the fact that Shinji and Asuka got to live and everyone else dies. The 2 characters I hated most in that anime survive and every character I like dies. Other than that I loved it.

17. Absolute Zero

Shinji and Asuka are not the only ones left alive. A good 10 minutes of dialogue prior to the beach scene is all about how the rest of humanity can come back if they want...we only happen to see Shinji and Asuka. Presumably, Misato and Ritsuko can come back as well, even though they died pre-3I.

18. fyredriftwood

Good series, probably one of the top 10 created, but not "the best." Definitely very over-rated... though if you can handle Shinji's whining then more power to you.

19. kyubinaruto75

im sorry... i jus dun get hte ending to this great series... were everyone is congratualing shinji on realizing that he wants to live? isnt kaji, misato,and ritsuko and his mom dead??

20. mary no jutsu

i didn't not get the ending either don't watch the ending just watch the movies death and rebirth cause those are the real endings. cuase at the time anno hideki (the creator of eva) was going tthrough a depressed state so all his emotions were put into the last episodes so then they are very hard to interpret. the movies have a much more better ending. id have to say that evangelion is probably one of the best animes ever

21. Harp Heaven

What happens, starting from the rest of the series, is explained in the Evangelion movies (I haven't seen them). The final episodes of the anime, however, are Hideaki Anno's thoughts about his depression. Obviously, he, like many other depressed people, suffered from semi-paranoid thoughts, self-loathing and self-pity (nobody likes me, I'm worthless, I'm pathetic, et.c. et.c.), but analyzed himself and came to the conclusion that these thoughts were wrong and came out on the other side into happiness. Since the characters in NGE are representations of his mental turmoil, it makes sense that if he were to become happy again, the characters would live in a balanced, "normal" world free of the burden of imminent world destruction. I presume that the angel attacks are the more serious bouts of depression, possibly suicide attempts.

I did not like Evangelion at all, so I'm kinda wondering why I'm spending time analyzing it here...

22. otakufan

The ending of the anime and the ending in the movie are opposites of one another. In the anime, Shinji allows Human Complementation to occur, even though it's not directly said that he does. Thus, everyone is dead, even Shinji. When it shows everyone at the end congratulating, even "dead" characters, it is showing that Shinji gave in, because he is getting what will make him happy, despite the fact that it is not true happiness.

In the movie, however, Shinji rejects Human Complementation, allowing him and Asuka to survive and giving humans the chance to choose whether or not they want to come back, though the movie left off before we find out if anyone does. This makes Shinji sad, understandably, but gives him the chance to find true happiness, rather than the fake happiness that he would have attained otherwise.

Personally, I prefer the movie's ending, as it shows a sense of maturity that Shinji had lacked before.

23. EMPRA

This is my best anime series, itz just that good any way the movies do tell a story of there own they show more then the series did, explain more facts that needed to be answered and try to get you to understand this whole complex...Like in EOE in the end they were telling you everything making the whole story straight in the end they answer all the questions you just need to under stand it...

24. jeopardy

hmm.. doesn't shinji strangle asuka at the very end of the movie btw? i seem to remember that he does..

i have heard another version, that what happens in the anime is what goes on inside shinji's head during the movie.. not sure which one is correct though.

25. otakufan

He does, but it is more to ensure that he was alive than actually trying to kill her. If he was able to feel guilty for her death, that'd prove to him that he was still alive and able to feel pain.

Luckily, she stopped him before he could finish the job, proving that she could feel it as well and keeping Shinji from suffering and grieving alone for who knows how long.

26. jeopardy

i was quite confused about one thing though, why was it asuka? i'd have guessed that it would have been rei myself.. i mean i got the impression throughout the series that he had a crush or something on her.

27. kyubinaruto75

ooo arigato!!! still kinda confusing tho isnt it?? ::eek:ff to watch the movie::

28. dspr8_rugged

What I hate about NGE is that fact that they feature a lot of philosophical crap. End of Eva featured a lot of this. I mean, NGE as a series was reviewed as a "very good anime - you better watch this is you're an anime fan...". But the use of a lot of incomprehensible philosophy - is THAT good?! And I only think that the existence of bishies like Asuka and Rei got some (not all) of the viewers of this series, not to forget that gay pilot of the EVA-01.

At first, NGE got my interest because I thought it was a mecha anime. Eventually, when the next episodes became a little weird and confusing, I suddenly lost interest.

"What the heck was that?!", I kept asking myself.

In the end, I despised NGE because if its very unappropriate end and unforgiving philosophy (that left me depressed for days...).

That's all. Good day and peace out! :)

29. jquchiha

Evangelion is one of my favorite anime, maybe the second best, after naruto. But it was too short...I love Rei, she's awesome.

30. ahheng21

i dun like it at all.... boring is the word to samurize the anime
    as boring as rahxephon