1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

New Naruto fan(?) needs convincing/help

Discussion in 'Academy Registration' started by derrickec, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derrickec

Hi all, I've been looking for a new show to partake of, and for a long time Naruto has been the buzz word within the anime community. Everyone is constantly raving about how great/awesome/spectacular it is, and how its their "favorite show of all time." So I decided to check out the first couple of episodes in Japanese with English subs.

And so I come to you, the die-hard fans, for further convincing.

I've only seen the first four episodes, but I haven't really been that impressed. I found some of the humor quite entertaining (when Naruto makes his first replica during his test was hilarious), but much of it grated on my nerves. His seduction technique was funny the first time, but after he used it in each episode, it got kind of old. Honestly, I find Naruto slightly annoying. I also hear how the action sequences are incredible, but I've yet to see anything particularly compelling.

Am I missing something? Is there a specific episode/moment where you all fell in love with the series that I haven't reached yet? I hear that there's an awesome bridge fight around episode 9 or 10, so I'll stick with it until then, at least.

I guess my question is, if I haven't been convinced after watching 4 episodes, will I ever be convinced? This isn't a Naruto bashing thread or anything. I honestly just need some more convincing to stick with the series. I have a wife with a new baby on the way, and I don't exactly have all the time in the world. I have to pick and choose my series carefully.

Thanks for any helpful thoughts you guys have!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
    Tags:
  2. Ae

yeah welcome dude

3. IIIPBZ

hmm... Well, I have to say, that I would never have read Naruto if it hadn't been for a combination of peer preasure, and bordom. The enlish dub, on Cartoon Network, is so horrible I can't believe it, but I find the books enjoyable. I don't watch it, though, at all. Perhaps you should look in to reading it? I got one of my friends hooked by her reading part of a fanfiction(She read part of the fic, and wanted to read the series so she'd understand who the people where in it).

The only advice I can give you is this: Stay away from the english dub that they have on Cartoon Network as if your life depends on it, and stick with the anime at least untill the Wave arch is complete(that is, a bit after the bridge fight you've heard about). If you don't love it by then, I really can't help you. :)

4. derrickec

Good, straightforward advice. Thanks. There's a soft spot in my heart for DBZ, so if I can make it through the less than 'exciting' parts of that show, perhaps Naruto will grow on me yet.

5. Astronaut

Actually, I was the same way as you when I first started watching. :amuse
    It actually gets a lot better after the Zabuza Arc, when the deeper plot starts.
    At least, thats what I think.

6. IIIPBZ

yeah, I think that's when the deeper themes begin(Zabuza Arc = Wave Arc, derrickec, incase you didn't understand. :) )

7. Naruko Supporting Staff

Stick with it. I was also late coming to Naruto ( for different reasons), and when I started watching it I thought it was cute, but no more so than any number of series I'd seen in my time. But a friend convinced me to stay with it and I did and by about episode 10 I thought...this is getting better...by the time the first real story arc was done (Wave Country as people will refer to it in their posts here), which is about...mm...episode 20-25 or so, I knew this was a great show. Then it got better.

Then it got better still.

Then it started entering the realm of being my current favorite series by far.

Then it became my all time favorite series.

I'd rank it as epic quality storytelling. Yes I'm a fan, I'm biased, but I've also been watching and reading anime and manga for 20+ years and I've seen a lot and I'd still argue to the more unbiased critic that this is still one of the best quality jobs of storytelling around. So I would stay with it, I think you'll really enjoy it.

PS - and yes, stay away from the english dub you see on TV. Read the manga online at Narutofan.com or go to youtube or a torrent DL (or like Dattebayo) and download/watch the english *subtitled* fansubs of the anime.

8. Rori

Is it me, or are there two of these threads? >.>

9. IIIPBZ

it's one of my favorites, too, but I like Yu Yu Hakusho better...

10. blueradio

Naruto is one of the greatest anime's out mainly for the indepth storyline.
    the movements and backstories are all amazing. watch naruto.

11. Splyte

the early episodes are more for the comedy since its the introduction arc but it picks up alot very soon. trust me just stick with it.

12. FlameX13

i agree wih kiba. when i watched the first few episodes i thought it was just gunna be an anime comedy about ninjas. then i saw some of the later episodes and was blown away with the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.