1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

New sig system?

Discussion in 'Questions & Complaints' started by Sayo, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sayo The Hedgehog

i've been thinking about this and well, alot of kids put a hundred banners/sig's in their sign while it's very annoying, this is because the image limit has been upgraded, the other thing is that most of the little critters have large amounts of text under it, can't they just put a sock in it along with a spoiler tag =\
    somewhere else some1 posted a large jiraiya art piece, i thought it was his post but guess what? no it was his sign, so every posts of him contains a large lay-out stretching image -_-
    i think the large amounts of texts are the most annoying, put 2 400x120 sig's in it and voil?, u got an immense space taking sign.

i understand there's nothing much to do than limit it again, but then people would start bitching while they only received extra's these months, like bigger avi's, larger PM space and more

Tags:
  2. TenshiOni Active Member

Well, we smods try to notice these larger, bandwidth stretching siggys and remove them, dropping the member a PM afterwards. If you ever notice any...or a sig that irks you due to excess writing or large pics, just drop one of us a PM and we'll take care of it.

Yeah, I'll try and scout more often for big sigs and drop them PMs requesting the use of spoiler tags, Celly. :amuse

I also agree that the forum now having a 10 sig image limit is a bit.....extreme. >.>

I'll talk with NN about it. :TO

Oh and, if you have a member off the top of your head whose sig bothers ya, I'll take care of it right now before I go off to bed. :)

3. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Could you people define a "big" sig? I'm unsure if I fit in the categori.

If I do I'll be happy to cut down my sig.

4. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Uh, no, SaG, I'm pretty sure nobody would consider your sig out of the norm in the least.

But yes, I agree that large signatures are annoying, and as far as I know, we're the only forum I know of that allows such a ridiculous amount of stuffeses in people's signatures.

We'll take it back down to 4. I think that was a good number. Unfortunately, there's no way to put a limit on the size of the items people link to in their signatures. Just in case anyone is wondering, the pixel limit on signatures is 550x550. Anything wider, and the forum is stretched, anything longer, and people have to scroll an annoying distance to get to the next post.

Anything in spoiler tags can be any REASONABLE dimension... i.e, not 8000x8000, and all sigs must be under 1 megabyte.

5. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Ok, thanks.

I was kind of worried because of the width. I run my comp in a very high resolution (1600X1200), so what appears very small to me could be very huge for people with lower resolution.

6. Sayo The Hedgehog

1024 x 765 will do fine, or else 1280 x 720 will do perfect . . .

but anyways, im seeing alot of people already with like 4 signatures in their sign, these are like 400x120, maybe 1 or 2 in that size aren't annoying but 4 o_O';;

here some small exmaples of irritating sig's, yes they're not big, but in a group they can be quite annoying.

Take The quiz yourself!

Take The quiz yourself!

Take The quiz yourself!

Take The quiz yourself!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  7. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Spoiler tags is the solution to those.

But seriously, I'm more annoyed with "bad" gif banners, because they make my eyes tear and give me an epilpthic fit.

8. Utz Allure in the Wind

I hate it when people put ALL of their FC banners (which are like 30) out of spoiler tags so it's all distorted and all :scry

Putting the sig limit back to 4 would be a good idea KnK, and Sayoko, thanks for bringing this up, very good suggestion :amuse

9. TheMexicanKingVII Shadow Supervisor

It's simple, code in constraints to only allow a certain perimeter of size to be allowed. Such as 300X150 or 400X150 personally, it's suppose to be small not a huge gallery. I don't know why we let people have a million signatures it only makes things longer to get too.

Limit the size to 1 sig and make a text sig under it, we don't need gallery?s.

Actually if people like to have all these banners ( if they want a small sized one)
    Though I think it would still take up some to the same bandwith, just make it animation. So your sig changes constantly. If you know good phbb code you could probably do it here. I'll go look up the code from my man jayman and I might be able to show you what I'm talking about.

10. Sayo The Hedgehog

the idea is 1 or 2 sig's for yourself and a couple of banners representing your personall forum stuff, wich is cool, and people like me who make banners/sig's are ofcourse always excited to let them show to every1 around, but some people ask all the times for sig's or make them all the time, nothing wrong with that but here the group of people splits up, 1 kind of group replaces them all the time and leaves the text. or they just randomize their sig's
    the second group, keeps adding sig's, on the end they have 400 pix in length on text and 3 to 4 sig's above it, now that IS annoying.

i don't experience difficulties with loading atm but when i had 56 for a while i came to understand the hatred against large sig's and pics >_<

11. Utz Allure in the Wind

Yah, I don't have loading problems either, I'm sure most people don't but the damn time and distance it takes just to scroll down to the NEXT post is so annoying :scry

12. TheMexicanKingVII Shadow Supervisor

Alright here it is

Say you have 3 or 300 sigs and you LOVE them all. Thing is you just cant decide which to use. USE THEM ALL.

the only thing you need to change are the

just put the pic in the same folder as this file and call the file.
    (copy code, paste in notepad, save as (all files) random.php, upload with pics to a folder and use the BB code IMG tag to call the random.php file.

13. Chopstickx Member

it is quite annoying when people have huge-ass pictures in their sigs all the time without spoilers =\ plus NF's growing fast so that just makes loading even slower :oh

14. Sayo The Hedgehog

people who want to use multiple sig's can easily use scripts, unfortunatly 80% doesn't even know how to host a normall pic when they here for the first time -__-

15. Gaara_81 is in love.

would my sig count as too big? i put spoilers around it.....:oh

16. Sayo The Hedgehog

your sig is large but because your apparantly smarter than the rest YOU putted spoiler tags around it, i still frequently see members who have these large pics in their sig straight from some manga, if it was alucard i wouldn't have a prob with this but seeing naruto's ugly smug all over the place :p

(we got enough naruto on this board) XD

17. Gaara_81 is in love.

this is a naruto themed forum.

18. Sayo The Hedgehog

it was a joke my humourless friend ;0

19. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

On-topic:
    I think the mods/admins should make a system for how large signature pictures should be, something like 500x300 max per signature picture.

Off-topic:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  20. Sayo The Hedgehog

how much i love and adore alucard i still have to say: THAT IS OFFTOPIC!!!!!!!

21. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

22. Sayo The Hedgehog

yes and if you don't start making usefull ontopic replies im going to smack you . . .

23. PATMAN ASDganp90 sd(*)(* 0989()*)

Uh Oh Spagetio! Celly is out of cherios!!

I will hunt down those giant sig people and spoilerize them with my right hand!!!//mouse

24. Norb ceresu が大好き

If ppl actually went thru the rules and stickies of the forum, there would be less idiots, aka the majority of this forum (am not talking about you ._.)

25. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Yeah, Knk pretty much said it.

I'm saying that and sig picture being 550x550 without spoilers is still to huge.

I think is should be something like this.

You can have two pictures without spoilers that are tops 550x300 tops in size each. If you want to have more pictures they should be made into spoiler tags.

This sounds kind of good to me.

26. Sayo The Hedgehog

Hunt them down, . . . All of them . . . .[/Sideous]

27. Norb ceresu が大好き

I was hoping that the whole goddamn sig would be 550x550, all pics/text included.

28. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

29. Yamato (Inactive) Banned

Some technical notes...

Limiting number of rows in signature is quite simple, same with number of letters in it (one or two PHP functions). A little compicated is to prevent extra large (someone have a WALLPAPER 800x600 f.e.) images to appear, especially that they are loaded from external servers. A good idea might be to moderate every signature - simply they HAVE TO be aproved by moderator. Or to disallow begginers (with reputation or post number less then something) to use images. There is also a third way, but it will require quite a lot of work. To put it simple all of images that appear in signatures might be hosted directly on narutofan forum server. It will allow to prevent extra large images...

30. Sayo The Hedgehog

but will it still be reduced once u wrap it up in a spoiler?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.