1. img
    Enter in the Alley Banner Contest!
    Deadline for entries is December 15th.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

New to Gintama?

Discussion in 'Featured Anime of the November 2008' started by Kira Yamato, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Kira Yamato Retired Staff

Gintama

Gintama a comedy/parody series created by Hideaki Sorachi and officially made it's debut in 2004. The original anime series debuted April 4, 2006.

Spoiler: Synopsis

Fansubbers: Shinsen-subs, Rumbel
    Genre: Comedy, Science Fiction, Action
    Episodes: 98+

Tags:
  2. Kira Yamato Retired Staff

Previous Anime of the Month Winners:

October: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    November: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
    December: Clannad
    January: Kekkaishi
    February: Shakugan no Shana
    March: True Tears

3. El Torero

Here I leave the url of the Gintama thread:
    The Gintama Thread

And we have a subforum too...the url is in my sig :nod

EDIT: for more complete information, I´ll be posting the Character Bios here (source: Rumbel):

SAKATA GINTOKI

Birthday: October, 10th
    Height: 1,77 m
    Weight: 65 kg
    Voice by: Tomokazu Sugita

Gintoki is Gintama's main character. He is a samurai and took part in the Joi wars against the Amanto when they first invaded, where his prodigious skills made him famous and earned him the nickname “White Devil”. Now he accepts odd jobs to get enough money to pay the rent. Together with Shimura Shinpachi and Kagura, they form the Yorozuya.

He has silver hair and a natural perm, usually wearing a black and white kimono. When it comes to his personality, he is shown to usually be rather unenthusiastic and aloof. On several instances, however, he has shown that he cares about the people he loves, including to the point of risking his life to save them.

Gintoki is a master swordsman and uses a wooden sword he claims he bought in Lake Toya during a school trip, when he in reality bought it off a television shopping programme. He has an enormous sweet tooth (being especially fond of soft sundae ice-creams) that he has to keep under control now that his doctor has informed him that he is on the verge of developing diabetes. He enjoys reading Shounen Jump and has a crush on the weather girl on television, Ketsuno Ana. He rides a scooter.

Gintoki has turned down offers from Katsura Kotaro to rejoin the Joi to fight against the Amanto and the Government, labelling them as “terrorists”. He has also turned down the offer to go into space with his old friend Sakamoto Tatsuma, stating that he prefers the Earth.

Gintoki's name may be a reference to either Kintarou or Sakata no Kintoki.

SHIMURA SHINPACHI

Birthday: August, 12th
    Height: 1,66 m
    Weight: 55 kg
    Voice by: Daisuke Sakaguchi

Shinpachi wants to become a master swordsman and, despite his appearance, is a competent fighter already, using his family’s Kakido-Ryu style of swordsmanship. Before staying with Gintoki, he lived in his family’s dojo. He has black hair and wears glasses. He is typically dressed in an unassuming white and blue kimono.

Shinpachi works with Gintoki supposedly to learn the way of the samurai, but more often than not it just seems like he does what he’s told to get enough money to pay the rent. He is the leader of the “Otsu-chan’s Imperial Guard”, a fan club for pop-singer Terakado Tsu.

Gintoki and Shinpachi met when the latter was tripped by the ambassador of planet Chatoran, spilling Gintoki’s sundae ice-cream, which in turn caused Gintoki to make minced meat of the ambassador and his guards. In the end, after a series of adventures, Gintoki ends up saving Shinpachi’s sister, Shimura Tae, from becoming part of a brothel.

Shinpachi’s name is a reference to both (real life) Shinsengumi member Nagakura Shinpachi and comedian Shimura Ken.

KAGURA

Birthday: November, 3rd
    Height: 1,55 m
    Weight: 40 kg
    Voice by: Rie Kugimiya

Kagura is an alien from the powerful Yato Clan. She is extremely pale and has to carry around an umbrella to protect her from the Sun, an umbrella that also doubles as a weapon and a shield. Kagura’s father is an alien hunter and her mother has already died, and it has also been revealed that she has an older brother who is missing.

Kagura has an enormous appetite and is extremely fond of sukonbu. She speaks with a stereotypical Chinese accent, unless she is insulting people, in which case she reverts to a rough kind of Japanese. She wears traditional Chinese clothing and has difficulty controlling her immense strength. She has a pet, Sadaharu, with whom she enjoys playing.

Kagura came to Earth to help her family’s financial situation and ended up fighting in a gang. She ran away when she was ordered to commit murder and was hit by Gintoki’s scooter. Then Gintoki and Shinpachi proceeded to help her destroy the gang, after which point she coerced Gintoki into allowing her to work for him. She has since slept in Gintoki’s closet.

SADAHARU

Birthday: February, 25th
    Height: 1,70 m (sitting)
    Weight: 300 kg

Sadaharu looks like a giant, white dog, but he is in fact an Inugami (Dog God), and bigger than many humans. He is Kagura’s pet and, in fact, she is the only one who can really control him. His favourite pastime is to gnaw on people’s heads.

Sadaharu was left in front of Gintoki’s in a box and is named after Kagura’s first pet, a rabbit, which she killed while she was having a nightmare. His original owners turn out to have been a pair of priestess sisters. He is currently dating the pet of a gangster he impressed.

More characters tomorrow :zaru

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  4. Fran

I was tricked into watching Clannad in a similar fashion.

:pek Watch Gintama now, noobs. It has hot yuri sex.

Edit: The Clannad one was

Spoiler:

5. 9th

10th of October, seems like alot of people are born on the same date as me... Gintoki & Naruto.

and WTF? I didn't know about Ketsuno Ana haha (which btw means asshole XD).

6. Shadow Blade

I always wondered what was the inside joke about Ketsuno Ana.

7. Majeh

i just started watching this and am through the 1st 3 episodes. does gin ever unsheath his sword, or does he just stay non-serious about everything..?

8. Travis Touchdown

9. Majeh

i realize that. does he ever use a real sword and get serious..? or even get serious when using the wooden sword..?

10. Fran

No, but he achieves Bankai in episode 25 :suzuhiko

11. Austeria

Let me just say there actually are some serious arcs. With serious fights.

12. Naruto San

My fav episode is 25.. Never laughed that much when watching an anime :D