1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

[News!]Mogwai Announce New Album Title, Release Date

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by sunshine and gasoline, Nov 26, 2005.

1. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Zach Vowell reports:
    By Mogwai's own standards, 2003's Happy Songs for Happy People was a subdued effort. Sure, there were more than a few of those classic Mogwai moments when you could literally hear Stuart Braithwaite's foot stamping his effects pedal, but in the end the album's title wasn't entirely ironic. So we figure it's time for a return of the post-rawk, and so far, Matador Records has been feeding us what we want to hear.

Over the weekend, the label announced that Mogwai's fifth proper album, Mr. Beast, which will be released March 6, is "perhaps their heaviest record since Young Team and better than we even hoped." Um, low expectations, guys?

Matador also promises that the album will feature "headcrushers." Yes!

Mogwai's trusty producer, Tony Doogan, manned the control board alongside the band at their Castle of Doom studio in Glasgow. Da-da-da-duuuuuuhhhhm. In June, Braithwaite told Pitchfork that song titles include "Friend of the Night" and "Robocop Vs. the Orange Walk", and that the record "will probably do for flangers what Interpol did for suits." Former Creation Records honcho and current Mogwai manager Alan McGee said in an interview with the website of his current label, Poptones, that Mr. Beast is "probably the greatest art rock record that I've been involved in since My Bloody Valentine's Loveless." He then upped the ante by declaring, "It's possibly better than Loveless." Talk about pre-release hype!

Matador also promised that Mogwai will visit the States in early 2006, and once those dates are confirmed and we have our tickets in hand, you can bet we'll let everyone know. Until that happens, the band has a handful of UK scheduled, but we're pretty much doing scalper services for free here, as all dates except Glasgow are sold out. Proceeds from those two home turf shows will benefit The Scottish Association for Mental Health as well as an organization that helps refugees in Glasgow.

The London shows are billed as "intimate", so no soccer-themed heckling, please:

11-28 Edinburgh, Scotland - Cabaret Voltaire
    11-29 Glasgow, Scotland - The Arches
    01-10 London, England - ICA
    01-11 London, England - ICA
    01-12 London, England - ICA
    01-13 London, England - ICA
    01-14 London, England - ICA

I'm already hyped for next year. New Radiohead,new Mogwai and possibly new Silver Mt. Zion. Looks to be a very good year. I'm also stoked by the fact that they'll be doing an heavier approach to it.

Happy Songs for Happy People is still my favorite by them though.

Anyways discuss a good next year and Mogwai and how much they own.

Tags:
  2. Nakor Active Member

yes mogwai does indeed own. its a fact.

i like young team alot. probably cause thats the album i've listened to the most. ill have to listen to them all and tell you what i think since its been awhile since i've last listened to them. oh thats awesome that they are going to tour in the U.S. i hope they come around my area, ill definetely be going to a show.

I too am excited for next years releases by those bands you listed. Im most excited about radiohead and what direction there music is going to take us.

3. izzy Live From the Plantation

I was left with a sour taste in my mouth when I bought Happy Songs For Happy People, that being my first experience with the band it took some egging on by my mates to check out another.

good news.

4. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

CODY is still my fav. but HSFHP is a great record, I liked it much more than Young Team.

Im still trying to get in touch with the guy/girl that has their new record rated in RYM.

5. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.

I've never listened to Mogwai.

6. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

I'll upload Happy Songs for Happy People for you. Expect it soon.

7. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.

Thanks, I'll be expecting it

8. Sid _

word on the street is, Mr. Beast leaked :eek:

I have not yet obtained it, but you know I'll upload when I do have it.

covers:

9. Sid _

Well, I'll be sending this out in about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on your PM boxes :)

--edit mode

The final track "We're no here" is missing, and the track "Friend of the night" seems to be corrupted. Seems other people have this problem as well, so the source probably wasn't ripped correctly.

10. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Omg you got this you bastard!!! :omg *rapes*

11. Sid _

=)

I know some people that know some people... :p

Sent to everyone on the list!

12. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

YOU ARE SEX

I LOVE YOU

MARRY ME

13. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

NO SID !

MARRY ME! :laugh

e-gasp, I can't wait until this is finished downloading. Maybe my number one album might change.....

EDIT- F**********k! Rapidshare needs a DFF number and Quickdump says its been downloaded too much. Darn.

14. Efraim Longstocking Indeed

Just enter the damn number! My download is going at my max speed..

15. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

For some very odd reason, I cannot concentrate at all on this record. I was trying to kick back last night and listen to it while I was up, but I kept switiching it with Miles Davis - In A Slient Way

Anyhow, what do you guys think of it?

16. ageofdarkness Shadow Master

I'm enjoying it greatly, even though it took over 4 hours for me to download 58 MB.

I seem to be listening to Friends of the Night many times, even though the song was completely messed up. :S

17. Efraim Longstocking Indeed

Friend of the Night seemed like something was wrong with the track. But the sound was so cool. It's a great record!

18. Sid _

;)

I must admit I haven't even properly listened to this album yet. I have so so so much new music to listen to :eek:

19. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

Me neither, I'll try to get to it today, but I've been busy.

20. EndlessRain KB24

LOL and here i thought thats how Friend of the Night sounded....the sounds cool tho xD

1st ive heard from Mogwai and im Luvin it. Thx Sid =D
    moe: haha well for me i couldnt concentrate on my hw cause of it =p

21. Efraim Longstocking Indeed

Yeay, it sounds wicked O_o

I've never been a Mogwai fan or a deep post-rock fan but EITS and Mogwai are wining me over..

22. Sid _

Right, I must say that this album is quite fucking awesome.

I've downloaded a better advance release earlier today, which contains all 10 songs and a non-corrupted version of "Friend of the Night".

I shall upload and spread it later tonight or tomorrow :)

23. Vibracobra Mr. Suit

This album reminds me a lot of Rock Action (which isn't a bad thing), but it's definitely an encompasing Mogwai record. They have every type of song they have ever recorded on here. I still prefer the guitar work and audio layerings of Young Team or the My Father, My King EP, but this is still great stuff. Considering there are so many shitty bands trying to hop on the post-rock bandwagon, it's refreshing to know that Mogwai can still still rock ("Glasgow Mega-Snake") and also send me into a trance ("I Chose Horses") at the same time.

24. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

I just heard it (finally!)!

I am blown away! Coming from someone who completely loved Happy Songs, I think this is just as good, maybe even better. There's lots more distortion going on here than before.

All the tracks are amazing except for maybe Acid Food which is quite shit. This new album is aggresive but not in a bad way. Especially Glasgow Mega-Snake, which is one of my favorite tracks of this new album so far, and in the last song, We're No Here, which has this MBV-esque wall of guitar distortion throughout the song.

I'll try to take the time to write a proper rant for this masterpiece soon, but no guarantee since Christmas sucks.

25. ageofdarkness Shadow Master

:arg

Why do I still like the jacked up version of Friends of the Night more than the normal version? :cry

Anyways, I'm really digging Auto Rock and Emergency Trap for today.

26. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Okay, I still cant listen to this record.

27. Nan Desu Ka Jrock Addict

man awesome news, I cant wait for this one.

28. Jef88 88

:spaz thats good news
    mogwai is soooooo gooood

29. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

So I've finally listened to this, and I have no idea what opinion to form. I mean, it's a solid effort, no doubt about that. And I've enjoyed every single track, but at times I just get a "gah" impression. The dynamics that made Mogwai click so well arent as visible as they used to. It just seems they are going for the kill (climax rather) through the enitre song withough foucs on the fantastic buildup, whihc okay, thats still cool and all, but it didnt leave any lasting feeling afterwrads.

It's like a good orgasm, but without all the extraordinary foreplay.

30. sunshine and gasoline slowly, he turned.

You clearly need to do more drugs. XD

I myself liked that "fast kill" kind of feel this album has, it focuses more on the energy than their eralier stuff and I like that. In the end I can see how it might put people off, but I actually like that they went into a more alt-rock mixture direction.

Acid Food still blows tho.