1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

NHL: Which Canadian team will do well this seasons? 2k6-2k7

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by BattousaiMS, Oct 3, 2006.

The better Canadian Team(s) will be...

Poll closed Oct 4, 2006.
  1. Calgary

100.0%
  2. Edmonton

50.0%
  3. Montreal

50.0%
  4. Ottawa

50.0%
  5. Toronto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Vancouver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

It's that time of the year again. NHL time! This season looks much different from the previous one with a variety of changes for almost all of the canadian teams.
    So which Canadian team(s) do you think will have the better season this year?

Calgary
    or
    Edmonton
    or
    Montreal
    or
    Ottawa
    or
    Toronto
    or
    Vancouver

Give some reasons why you believe they will be better. Let the votes commence
    -----

Here was the votes of last season and the actual winner(s) [Red being the fatherest one in playoffs, Blue being in the playoffs]:
    Calgary 6
    Edmonton 2
    Montreal 4
    Ottawa 11
    Toronto 6
    Vancouver 6

I guess DesignCore, Qwerty1023 can now brag about thier prediction abilities :laugh.

Tags:
  2. b0rt retired, moving on. =)

I say Calgary and Edmonton. I think of the ones on the poll, Montreal and Ottawa will take a step back, and the Leafs and Canucks will be right around where they were last year.

None of them will win the Stanley Cup though, mainly because Anaheim I think is the best team, but yeah, I see Calgary winning the Northwest, probably a 2nd seed in the West, or 3rd. I see Edmonton and Vancouver both probably making the playoffs, as lower seeds though. Ottawa will probably make the playoffs in the much weaker East, but as a 4-7 seed I'd say. And well, Toronto and Montreal, I see both missing the playoffs.

Of those teams though, the only one I'd pick to finish under .500 would be Montreal, but I see them finishing about 11th in the East, with say 77 or so points, give or take a couple.

3. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

Here are some help:

I didn't post TSN's NHL Preview cuz it was lastly updated sept 15 in most case. So the new roster changes aren't in place yet. I also didn't put SI.com's analysis cuz let's face it they are the most biased group known to the NHL.

4. b0rt retired, moving on. =)

Kings, Lightning, and most definetely the Devils should all be ranked higher. While the Sens, Preds, Wild, Habs are all ranked too high.

Most of the rest though, give or take 2 or 3 spots I'd say is pretty much accurate. But I think #1 through 5 would be.

1. Anaheim
    2. San Jose
    3. Buffalo
    4. Carolina
    5. Calgary

5. RasenganUltimate Member

I think Calgary will win because of their teammates. Just my guess.

6. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

Actually i would disagree with couple of the suggestions. Kings plainly suck, they got SJ and Anahiem in their division and both of them are going to eat them alive. Lightnings are simply overpayed boys scouts. The Devils should be ranked higher but they have Phili and NY in their divsion but the main reson they got lowed was cuz of the Salary cap issues, so it should rank them abit higher.

The top five will actually be:
    1. San Jose
    2. Ottawa
    3. Anahiem
    4. Nashville
    5. Carolina

SJ cuz they are well balanced and have pretty much strong points in every side. Anaheim cuz of their strong defense and good fast offense. Ottawa cuz like it or not, there isn't a eastern side team that can match Sens Offensive capabilties which has remained pretty much intact. Nashville cuz they got Vokun a strong def and pretty good offense. Carolina finally cuz of their young guns and goalie.

Now for my reasons of team selection:

The rason why I only choose Calgary in the west is because their will be at max 1 canadian team that will make it in the post season and Calgary with Kipper, Tangey and Igilna seem to be the better of the three. If another one manages it will most likely be on 8th position. I mean you can pretty much assure a spot for SJ, Ana, Nash and Detroit. That's leaves you with 2 spot since unless they fuck up badly Dallas and Calagry will make it. Those two spots will be fought between Edmonton Minisota and Vancouver that is if Columbus doesn't start becomming the next Minisota. If i had a choice I would go between Edmonton and Minisota since both of them are much more balaced then Van who mainly has 1 real scoring offensive line now.

In the east, 2/3 will most likely make it in the off-season. Them being Ottawa and Montreal. Let's face it, the South East division is weak they will only have one guy moving up. The main battle will be between Atlantic and Nearth eastern teams. Ottawa and Montreal are both competitieve enough to qualify in the post season. Toronto is a lost cause from the begining. I mean they hardly changed their style at all. Sure they got some of the old guys, but who did they add in offense? Peca. That's not really gonna help since Peca is a Bonk. Mats Sundin is probably crying in the shadows cuz he's gonna have Polikanosky in his line up. He's a checking line winger, not someone you would want to put in your first line, maybe third line but certainly not first line. There is pretty much no doubt that thy will end up in the gutter. As for Boston who everyone thinks they will shine. Erm I am not really sure this is their third remake in 3 years and well I am pretty pessimist on what Chara and Savard can bring when when lacks speed to be as effective he is said while the other was with Kovalcuck last season. If that team blooms its gonna be cuz of the Young guns. Buffalo will certainly make it either being the 2nd in North east or 3rd depending how many injuries they can get. Just to tell you, it isn't as deep it was like last year. Especially if Biere gets knocked out.

The reason MTL is ranked soo high, is because in terms of over all team they are the most balanced canadien team. They got fast offense, now a solid D line and 2 good goalies. All they need to do is have their offense fire up and your gonna have a pain handeling them. Last season, the team was medicore in the begiing and still manage to retain 1st position uptill Nov thanks to Theo slump, but this season they have even stronger offense and now 8 solid D-men. If Huet and Abei do 80% of their good work they did last season alot of easretn teams are gonna cry.

7. b0rt retired, moving on. =)

I'd predict the following teams to make it though at the end. Just a random toss-up here I guess of where I'm thinking at.

East
    1. Buffalo
    2. Carolina
    3. New Jersey
    4. Philadelphia
    5. Ottawa
    6. NY Rangers
    7. Boston
    8. Florida
    ---------------
    9. Atlanta
    10. Tampa Bay
    12. Toronto
    13. NY Islanders
    14. Montreal
    15. Washington
    16. Pittsburgh

West
    1. Anaheim
    2. Calgary
    3. Detroit
    4. San Jose
    5. Nashville
    6. Edmonton
    7. Vancouver
    8. Los Angeles
    ---------------
    9. Colorado
    10. Minnesota
    11. Phoenix
    12. St. Louis
    13. Columbus
    14. Chicago

8. Rukia and, of course... hail Hydra

My playoff picks. Note: I am a big time Vancouver fan-boy.
    Go Canucks!

East
    1. New Jersey
    2. Carolina
    3. Buffalo
    4. Philadelphia
    5. Ottawa
    6. Boston
    7. Tampa Bay
    8. Toronto

West
    1. Anaheim