1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

NHL: Which Canadian team will do well this seasons?

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by BattousaiMS, Sep 27, 2005.

The better Canadian Team(s0 will be...

Poll closed Nov 26, 2005.
  1. Calgary

30.0%
  2. Edmonton

10.0%
  3. Montreal

20.0%
  4. Ottawa

55.0%
  5. Toronto

30.0%
  6. Vancouver

30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

NHL: Which Canadian team will do well this seasons? (2k5-2k6)

Which Canadian team(s) do you think will have the better season this year?

Calgary
    or
    Edmonton
    or
    Montreal
    or
    Ottawa
    or
    Toronto
    or
    Vancouver

Give some reasons why you believe they will be better.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
    Tags:
  2. tunaman I like candy

Being a leaf fan this is very hard to say but i think Ottawa should have the best year unless they play Toronto in the playoffs or if Hasek sucks

3. ageofdarkness Shadow Master

I'd say the Flames or Vancouver.

4. Ah B Member

I'm a Leafs fan, so I'll go with voting for Toronto! Gotta love Belfour.

5. Qwerty1023 Member

All but Toronto of course. Belfour is older than Sandaime

6. Darko Ero-sennin writes good books

as opposed to hasek who's three months older?

it pains me to say i dont think any of the canadian teams are going to go far this year, i hope toronto does but i dont think its very likely theyll make it past round 2

7. TEK Akatsuki

I think the Vancouver Canucks will have a pretty good run this year. Maybe Calgary as well. Is Mikka Kiprusoff still the goalie for the Flames?

8. superman_1 Well-Known Member

being a leafs fan i want leafs to do well but i doubt how they will perform this season... quite some ppl have left the team.... my other fav. is ottawa ...even though i hate them when they face off against leafs i still root for them when they face other teams mostly US .... calgary is my 3rd fav... other than those 3 i dont much about other cdn. teams... montreal is ok...vancouver, edmonton ->have no clue.....

9. aLkeMiSt Curious

Les Canadiens =P

10. Qwerty1023 Member

Yeah but he has the current best team in the league in front of him. Meanwhile Belfour has the best team......from the 90's in front of him (along with some very average prospects)

I can see all 6 teams making the playoffs though

11. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

Well for my self, I vote for the following teams: Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver.

Montreal: They have fresh youngster who are fast and can score, they net is well covered. They have penty of scorers who even though might not all score 50+ points, but as a team will certainly score alot, each of their lines would have atleast 1 lethal scorer. If Kovalev, Zednik and Ryder fire up, with Ribero, Bulis and the new kids like Plekanec, Latredress and Perezogin back them up, they gonna be a beast. If the new regulations reamin till the end, expect Montreal to slam many of the older and brute force teams into submission.

Ottawa: This maybe the year where Ottawa has no excuse to lose, Spezza is geared up, Alfredsson seems ready, they got Heatley who can go 50 goals and Havlat can also produce. Their defense is solide with Redden, Chara and Phillips, who unlike most old defensers can work extremely well with the new no-stricking regulation. The big question in Ottawa, is will Hasek be his old self?

Calgary: They are good but how good it remains to be seen. Kiprusoff has to show he is no fluke. Igilna is among the best but let's hope he doesn't go on one those big slumps. Amonte and Mecarty can score but they are also pretty old. Overall, they will be a dominant force if they don't slack off.

Vancouver: There is a reason why Vancouver is in this selection and its their 1st offensive line. Bertuzzi is back and with the new regulation he is vertually unstopable if he rushes on the net. Naslud is one other guy no defensemen should take their eyes off or pay dearly. As for Morrison, if the other two are already trouble, you can bet his passing skills and backup offense will be more effective. They also have a speedy gonzalez, in the name of Richard Park who can make you pay in you dont watch him closely. Their defense has Jovanovski and Ohlund, both lethal on offense and defense. The big question is can Dan Cloutier keep his confidence in the playoffs because if he does, this team can be a serious threat to any other teams.

The reason for not selecting Leafs and Oilers:

Leafs: I have to start by saying that i always disliked them, i don't like their stle or players. They will be hit hard this year, first because they are filled with Oldies and second because their brute force game wont work well this team with the new regulations. Lindros spells injury prone as does most of their other top scores. Sundin is their lucky puck but i don't think he can carry the team on his back. Belfour is also old but unlike Hasek he doesn't have a young and lethal offense to back him up if he spills the beans.

Oilers: Edmonton has too many question marks to be considered a contender against the 4 other teams. Their net is questionable and virtually untested. So is their offense, Pronger maybe good but just like he was in the St-Louis Blues case, he can'tpull them off a slump if Edmonton puts themseves in one. Add that with the fact that they might be in the toughest division this year only means more trouble.

12. BattousaiMS Swordsman of Sorrow

All it seems that all Canadian rosters is pretty much complete. So i guess we can start more debating now. I got the Montreal Canadian Rooster Lineup and this is what I think will happen (line setup will look like):
    Montreal Canadians (predictions)​
    Offense
    Top line: Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev
    2nd line: Plekanec - Ribero - Ryder
    3rd line: Bulis - Bonk - Perezhozin
    4th line: Ivanas - Begin - Sundstrom
    Replacements: Dagenais - Higgins

Defense
    Top line: Souray - Rivet
    2nd line: Dandenault - Markov
    3rd line: Bouillon - Komisarek
    Replacement: Streith

Goalies
    Theodore
    Dannis (till Huet returns)
    Huet

Main Scorers: Kovalev, Zednik, Ryder.
    Secondary Scorers: Plekanec, Ribero, Bulis.
    Main Assisters: Koivu, Bonk, Ribero.
    Top defenseman scorers: Souray, Markov.

13. Jh1stgen Active Member

Heh ... shudnt b surprised to see a lot of anti Leaf >.>

Afterall, before the New NHL .. the Leafs were among the richest Canadian team =]

I duno why u r praising Hasek, but not Belfour. Hasek ONLY play 14 games in 2 seasons. Stats dont lie. You can go on how he performed so wel in the preseason, but DEJA VU! Except when it comes down to actually playing in the season, ONLY 14 games.

Lindros injury prone? DUDE! Why dont u make remarks about Roenick then? This is the dude with his how many concus? I lost count ... even if he miss the season. He only signed a 1 yr 1.5 MILLION contract! So Leafs win in every situation, and same thing applies to Allision.

Worst case scenario ... if the players of the Leafs goes down, we can EASILY get players b4 the tradedeadline.

We got 3 VERY good prospects ... Wellwood+Stajan+Steen

3 Proven Centres: Sundin, Lindros, Allision

Sniper: O'Niel

As well ... we got mobile d. And Kaberle+McCabe should have another breakout yr due to the New NHL

GO Leafs GO!

14. PervertedMonkey the SmEXy monkey

15. Kno7 o.O

MTL, because they've just won two matches in a row, and Ryder's got 3 goals in 2 matches.

They're gonna kick some ass. GO HABS GO!

16. louuster Im Back!

Obviously Vancouver. The best first line in the entire league and the last season's top scorer defenseman, and their second line has been very productive. Their only weakness is in front of the net, Cloutier seems to become weak in playoffs.

17. cygnus Ta Det Lungt

Ottawa is now 4-0, Alfredsson is on a roll...we should definitely have an NHL thread...

18. PervertedMonkey the SmEXy monkey

Vancouver sucks real bad right now, I got Cloutier in my fantasy team and they just got shutout by the Wilds 6-0 :(

Anyway, don't count out the Leafs just yet, they may not be on par with some of the other Canadian teams talent-wise but they still got the most heart, and in the playoffs, those who want it the most usually wins.

Obviously, I'm a Leafs fan :amuse

19. Keyser S?ze Formerly Midnight Joker

for sure the sens since i'm a sens fan. we're 4-0 right now, we got heatley and the dominator. every other canadian team should do fine, other than the leafs, the leafs success depends on when mats will come back and how healthy their stars stay

20. cygnus Ta Det Lungt

should we make a dedicated all topic NHL thread or what?

21. furious styles ☆☆☆☆☆

senators are lookin real fuckin good right now...

< - pens fan

22. Keyser S?ze Formerly Midnight Joker

yah, we might as well dedicate a thread to the nhl and all the teams.

23. InnerGaara New Member

Toronto Ofc they have sundin and Lindros for god sake

24. Keyser S?ze Formerly Midnight Joker

hell yeah, i just got back from the sens game and we won again 5-1. it was awesome, everyone went nuts and we did the wave 4 times in a row.

25. Redemption 乾杯

Senators all the way ^_^

26. Darko Ero-sennin writes good books

sens and montrealy are looking very good so far, in fact almost all the canadian teams are doing quite well, and toronto has bounced back nicely after a slow start

27. aka_xena where's my Gabrielle?

LEAFS RULE, but not right now. Lindros better step up to bat, or the Sens are finally going to win the conference!

28. DesignCore "The flying," son of none

ottawa vancouver and edmonton should do good. Calgary wont be doing that good. vancouver has a nice team, cloutier play is very unconsistent.

29. kimikiba The BoneBeast

Edmonton Oilers i belive in them this year

30. Keyser S?ze Formerly Midnight Joker

they'll all do good this year. anyone who wants to take part in an ottawa vs toronto bet come to the national hockey league discussion.