1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Nine here, nine there

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by hurki, Jun 28, 2005.

1. hurki New Member

Haven't you noticed that the number NINE comes out alot of times?
    These are what I've found so far:

Kyuubi had NINE tails.
    The word 'ninetails' has NINE letters.
    Naruto joined the ninja-academy when he was NINE years old. (unconfirmed)
    Only NINE of the students graduated from the academy are chosen as genin.
    There are NINE members in Akatsuki.
    There's NINE letters in the name Kishimoto.

Coincidence?
    Please, if you find anything that has NINE-something on it from the Naruto series (anime only), please post them here, let's try to get NINE things on that list :wink .
    Oh, and I woke up today at NINE o'clock.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
    Tags:
  2. TenshiOni Active Member

When was this stated?

Anyway, yeah, that really is alot of funny coincidences. :laugh

3. hurki New Member

Well, Kyuubi was sealed 12 years ago, and Naruto was a newborn baby then, so he's 12 now. It took him 3 years to graduate from the academy, so he went there three years ago.
    So Naruto's age - the years in the academy = the age he went there.
    12 - 3 = 9

4. TenshiOni Active Member

Incorrect. It did not take Naruto three years to graduate from the academy. It was just stated that he failed three times.

Remember, it was stated in the Sasuke flashbacks during episodes 129-131 that Sasuke entered the academy at 7. We clearly see Naruto amongst his classmates too.

Naruto's been in the academy for probably all his able life. Seeing as he has no parents and lives by himself, the academy was probably his day-care center. Him starting earlier than others would also explain how come he failed two times already before the first episode yet all his piers (Rookie 9) were supposedly taking the Henge exam for the first time.

5. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

Isn't it amazing how many times a number can pop up when you look for it ^^
    Though I sincerely doubt it has any meaning whatsoever, except for the obvious relations between, for instance, the Kyuubi's nine tails and the nine members of Akatsuki. The number nine just has a special appeal to people, like the number three or seven.

Besides the nine letters in 'nine tails' and 'Kishimoto' become rather meaningless when you take into account the fact that Kishimoto is Japanese. In Japanese 'Kishimoto' has four letters while 'nine tails' (Kyuubi in Japanese as if you don't know ^^) has three (also four if you count the small yu as a seperate letter).

6. hurki New Member

Look at the third panel.
    He was in the same class as Kiba, and Kiba graduated at his first year, I suppose, so that was his last year in the academy.
    Sorry that it's the manga page, but i don't have that episode on my computer :notrust

7. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

Kiba graduated at his first year? You mean after taking the exam once?
    Besides if anything, this scene proves Naruto took longer then 3 years to gruaduate the academy. He couldn't even do henge right at the time of this flash back.

8. hurki New Member

Yeah, the first time he took the exam, yes.
    And since Kiba was one of the nine rookies, it means that he graduated from the academy the day when Naruto graduated (even tho Naruto graduated at night).
    So Kiba's first year was the same as Naruto's third year.

9. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

Ok, but how does this prove that Naruto joined the academy when he was 9?

10. hurki New Member

Because he's 12 years old now, and he spent three years in the academy.
    Only from that you should be able to count his age when he joined there.
    When Naruto was taking his third graduation exam, and failed, Mizuki said that it was his third try, and from what I've understood from the academythings, the exam is held once in a year.

11. The Sandwich Prince Rasta Mon!

After researching.. Sasuke joined the academy before the Uchiha massacre, right? Right after the massacre he turns eight years old (He's older than Naruto by a few months). So let's look at the facts.

* Sasuke starts the academy at 8 (Well, a bit before, but for facts-sake we'll say 8).
    * The rookies graduate after Naruto turns 12 years old.
    * Naruto has failed two times prior to graduating. (Edited!)

So it's safe to assume that Naruto started the academy at 8 years old or, if earlier, he didn't start taking the exam until 8. The rookie nine didn't take the exam in that year's October since they had just joined that year possibly. (Edited!)

Soo.. going by that we know Naruto passed his third exam at 12 (Edited!), the first exam being at 8 years of age or sooner.

12. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

It still doesn't prove he was 9 when he started the academy.
    We don't know when that scene took place, so we cannot calculate Naruto's age. Kiba was just remembering the first time he saw Naruto. It could have taken place 1 year before graduation, but it could also have been 3 years.

13. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

The number nine is very mysterious and its all about math. Kishimoto has probably done this on purpose and not left it to chance. Anyway, when i was taking programming i came accross this math problem involving the number 9 and how to find age. so here it is, ill quote the whole article and game.

Following is an excerpt from
    W.Simon,
    Mathematical Magic

14. Jedi Mind Tricks <font face='Palatino Linotype, Arial'><font size='

It's all in japanese though as "ShounenSuki" said; unless they are going for the english viewers.

15. TenshiOni Active Member

Yeah, but just looking at that picture, you can tell Naruto was like 10 or something. He looks younger, IMO. This proves that he joined the academy earlier than others iif he was taking the exam already before his peers in episode 1.

Seeing as we saw Naruto in the academy when Sasuke joined (when he was 8), we know that Naruto's been in there for awhile.

16. Narutimate Hero Konoha's greatest

could someone please tell me what chapter was that? or what volume...

17. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

Volume 9, chapter 75

18. Insipidipity Ignostic Buddhist

Two words: confirmation bias.
    Theres as many 3s as 9s and as many 7s as 3s.

19. Shisui is dead

Well, I dunno about most of the stuff you mentioned, but the Kyuubi and the Akatsuki get their nine-fetish from Chinese numerology and some old form of Taoist magic called Onmyoudou.

20. Skoemie Sandaime Skoemie

Who sais there is one exam each year... there are only exams in the last year of academy and Naruto graduated on his third try but it was all in the same year...
    Kiba is no genius and sasuke is and still sasuke took about 5-6 years to get threw academy... The academy aint something that can be done within a year (nower days that is because passing has become harder because they don't need so many ninja's as when there is a war.)

If i fail a test in my school i can take it again 2 times i think it goes the same for the Narufurse

21. Keido Lost

i heard that theres 2 chuunin exams a year. iono about genin.

why do we have to think so hard for all this >.< y did math becom part of Naruto >.<

22. Heldensheld Chunnin

Uh.....Naruto likes to eat nine ramen?

23. itachidattebayo 鏡花水&#2637

Its all deja vu my friend......deja vu

24. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

Ooo, good to see a skeptic and/or psych fan on the forums!

Unfortunately I don't think the label "confirmation bias" quite fits the bill here. For starters, there isn't an even distribution of numbers in every-day life. There's a strong slant towards the first ten numbers, for obvious reasons, and many numbers show up a lot due to some mathematical property (being a perfect square and the like) or else their relationship to a physical phenomenon, or what have you (for instance, 365 days in a year).

I guess you could be saying that all numbers even out in time, since they all occur an infinite number of times in our inconceivably large universe, however I think it should be clear that 2 is of a higher order of infinity than 19191924.

Also, since Naruto is a fantasy world, it's entirely possible that Kishi is setting things up so as to highlight certain numbers, perhaps as a method of extending his grand program of contrasting good and evil, thesis and antithesis. Do you really think that the Akatsuki Nine (possibly ten with Orocohimaru, but they're always discussed as 9) and the Rookie 9 are coincidenal?

It wouldn't be the first time an author has chosen to speak on this level; hell, since Pythagoras was around and drawing triangular numbers in the sand, you can hardly get through a dense tome without stumbling upon some absurd numerological scaffolding.

I think it's worth pointing out that the "nine letters in nine-tails and Kishimoto" probably have little to no significance, the first because it's a translation, and the second because the only relation it could have to Kishi's subsequent numerological adventures is inspiration.

25. PinkNinj4 Shinju

Well according to , in the NINTH paragraph XD

"the number nine being considered a highly potent number in Japanese mystical thought."

Uhh I hope that helps a little. The site explains alot about 'Kuji-in'. Which is closely related to hand seals in Naruto.

26. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

Nice link PinkNinj4. I was going to post something similar, but I'm uneasy about posting on Japanese numerology; I know nothing about it and the information I can easily find is often contradictory.
    Spoiler:
    Prolly cause it's all made up to begin with.
    But, meh, when make-believe has a long enough history, it becomes real in the minds of man ;)

Seems like multiples of three are pretty big in Naruto. Three man teams, three categories of jutsus, three tomoe Sharingan; the most powerful kage of both the Leaf and the Sand? The third, and both are referred to by that number, as if it mystically signified this power. Then you have 3x3 = 9, already discussed; and the 12 signs of the Zodiac, which tend to be performed in series of three, if you look at them. . .

Hmm, I was about to go into a discussion on the possible significance of "square" vs "triangular" numbers in all this, and also prime numbers, but then I remembered that a prologned contemplation of numerology is the surest route to a padded cell, so I'm not even gonna go there.

27. telecino New Member

Yea, Nine is the number of completion in Buddhist esoterism. They make a lot of things in sets of Nine, just to be certain it will produce complete results, and leave nothing left to be done. Everything must allways be perfect for those people.

The powers of Naturo come from the kuji-in tradition, like PinkNinj4 stated in his link.

28. Mugiwara Imagine

I think it's just a quincidence (or how you spell that, lol :p)
    Or maybe Kishimoto likes the number "nine"

29. Kagutsuchi In your milk, toxifying you.

In addition, the best football players wear the number 9 shirt.

30. Renegade A-Ω

There are actually 8 members in Akatsuki. :amuse