1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Nirvana Box Set (-DVD)

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by sunshine and gasoline, Nov 11, 2005.

1. sunshine and gasoline

I did this huge ass upload for Ada/Ryu and it took awhile. It's only the three audio CDs since I couldn't find any good way to upload the DVD. Anyways I though I'd make a thread and distribute this to anyone else interested.

Anyways since this is such a huge package and might be a pain to download I urge people to check out the official box set site and check the trailer to get an idea on how dodgey the sound quailty is on many of these tracks.

The Box

Anyways, this is basically a compilation of all unreleased, unfinished and rare Nirvana material that is somewhat listenable, labeled with the sell-out name "With The Light Out".

In many ways this is the only good Nirvana release since Unplugged in NY and this might be due to Courtney not being inolved in the production to much. This was mostly done by Chris and Dave and it is noticeable that much care had been put to please the hardcore Nirvana fans (me).

Much of this can and should be considered total crap, music-wise that is, but if you listen to it for what it is you might find it as intriguing as I do. This Box provides an awesome insight into Kurt's development as a songwriter.

The Box is divided into three main eras.

Disc 1 - Bleach era
    Disc 2 - Nevermind era
    Disc 3 - In Utero and after era.

All three discs consist of following things studio outtakes, radio performances, demos, Kurt's acoustic home demos, b-sides, rarities, unfinished songs, early versions of finished songs, covers, throw-away ideas etc.

The Box starts of with Nirvana's first show, a house party and a sloppy cover of Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker. Shouldn't even be called a cover, someone shouts out Heartbreaker and you hear one of the band members say "I don't know how to play it" and the song and the box starts.

What follows is an intresting inside look on the early Nirvana, when they were punkasfuck. It also showcasts one of the main things Nirvana was about, catchy noise rock done by a pair of amateurs. Yeah, the sound quality sucks, but that's part of the charm.

At the end of the first disc you can see the slower start to change to a Nevermind style of songwriting. Intresting tributes to Leabetter can be found at the end.

Disc two provides a better listening and is more structured. You can clearley notice Kurt songwriting taking on a more pop overtone and more based into catchiness and verse chorus verse formula. Then again this is the Nevermind era and that's what they played at that time.

I especially find the rough Nevermind mix of Breed facinating as it provides and insight into how Nevermind would have sounded like if it were not overproduced. Also the Wipers covers "D-7" and "Return of the Rat" are considered true gems by the harcore Nirvana fans. They also work to showcast the band giving pros to their punk influnces.

There is also a little tribute to Velvet Underground in the form of Here She Comes Now.

Also the boombox demo of Smells Like Teen Spirit is intresting even if the quailty blows.

Disc three is my favorite as it deals with the In Utero era and it's no secret by now that In Utero is my favorite Nirvana period.

This last disc is not as much new material as it is more, different demo versions of already released songs. The first demos of Heart-Shaped Box and Milk are very brutal and way noiser than their finished counterparts. Very raw.

Thought Kurt's home demos done in his closet at his home are the highlights to me. They are so lo-fi and defect and sloppy that they somehow become magical.

Do Re Mi is the real gem. A few years ago every hardcore Nirvana fan would sell their families to get their hands on this song. Not because the song is that great but because this is the last recording Kurt ever did. Done in march two weeks before his suicide this recording showcasts a broken Kurt, his voice barely being able to sing after years of drug abuse, he sounds really tired. In short I never listen to this song because it depresses the hell out of me.

The box is finished by an acoustic performance of All Apologies and at the end you can actually hear Kurt press the stop button. At the end there was no glory, just a broken abused person hiding in a closet playing his four chord songs. The silence that follows can only be symbolic as it finalizes Nirvana and their end.

Anyone desiring this will be forwarded the upload.

Tags:
  2. Efraim Longstocking

yes indeed... Even though I own Nirvana's cd's I have never really been a fan. And I seriously think Dave Grohl > Kurt Cobain in songwriting. Much of Kurt's stuff is the exact same formula. Like Smells Like Teen Spirit repeated over and over...

3. Erkekjetter

4. izzy

I have it. I enjoy it. If you don't like Nirvana, definetly don't buy it. If your only a fan of their "hits", don't buy it.

I really like the "Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Subeam" but the CD version is horrible, I suggest ripping the audio off the live version. Superb.

The Muddy Banks of Wishkah was a good official release, and their have been tons of live releases.

5. sunshine and gasoline

Muddy Banks was horrible. The choice of some shows was horrible. They practically ripped two main shows, Paradiso and Del Mar, both good shows but seriously they shouldn't have made half of the tracklist consist of those two.

Unforgivable that they did not have Lithum from the Reading Festival (92), not to mention that Drain You should have been replaced by the 94 Paris performance that was the best Darin You the band ever played. Milk It though was an awesome choice.

Also, no there have not been any official live releases but there have been countless good (and bad) bootlegs.

6. Kami-Sama

own the lights out box set...if you're a fan totally worth it

7. Sayo

This box is simply awesome, like kami says if your a fan it's definitly worth your money, The 3 fully packed cd's but also a stuffed DvD containing a large amount of video material, the book is very stylish too, hehe (:

~ *turns her light out* ~

8. Jink

I actually had this box set for, maybe almost a year now, good stuff

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  9. chauronity

I'd like to have it... and if i still like the Nirvana as much as some years ago, i'll buy this shit.