1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

6. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Noob to Decent: My Journey in Learning How to Draw

Discussion in 'Art Lounge' started by afgpride, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Trinity l’appel du vide Retired Staff

afg, you should read da vinci's notebooks

very technical and artistic so it's right up your alley

2. afgpride Retired Staff

Da Vinci sama was a savage :catdespair

Fuck you bro imma read the shit out of your shit and you can't stop me

thx trin i'm obsessed with this man

3. Elias Well-Known Member

I’d love to hear your thoughts on Da Vinci’s genius. Was he just a beautiful freak of nature? Hard work? It still boggles my mind to think such a person existed back then.

4. Elias Well-Known Member

5. afgpride Retired Staff

Day 6
    Total hours: 2
    ___

11 Days later and I did nothing. I noticed that momentum is huge in learning art, especially as a side hobby. You miss 1 day, then another, and before you know it you missed 3 days, so you're like ok I missed 3 days already so a 4th day is bad but not that much worse, then you get to 5, 6 until it's just shelved away.

Today I didn't make time to draw, as I committed to. I ran out of time because I procrastinated. Even still, and this is crucial: I still drew. For 5 minutes. I re-did the sphere, cube, cylinder exercise once quickly.

A lot more sloppy than my last exercise because it was rushed. Still, I drew, so I honored my daily requirement. Going to do my best to get a proper session in tomorrow. It's been nearly a full month and I've effectively done 2 hours of work. Procrastination OP.

A combination of both, probably. Remember in the older times polymaths were more par for the course provided someone didn't have to work a regular job and had an interest in the intellectual arts. Da Vinci was definitely special though. Just everything he touched was fascinating.

But polymaths were actually (relatively) common in the older eras. Quite ironic since they didn't have internet, I still need to research what set them apart. Has a lot to do with how they approach the disciplines, I suspect.

6. Elias Well-Known Member

I've been on the lazy train as well at times (like recently)
    I've been telling myself "ok draw for just 5 minutes and if it's boring you can stop" or "Draw while watching tv, you may not retain all the info, but it's better than nothing" and then I find that I'm not paying attention to the tv or draw for like an hour instead of 5 minutes.

The studies are looking good. You should try the egg study. Basically put an egg on a plate and try and do a value study. Or look up pictures of eggs and try and do a value study.

Just google search 'egg value study' for examples

The polymath thing is interesting. With far less distractions, but the same thirst for knowledge we have now with less answers than we have now I can see how they'd be multidisciplinary.

7. Elias Well-Known Member

8. afgpride Retired Staff

Total hours drawn (since start of thread): 2.5
    ___
    It's been a while. The thing is, I've been busy, but with something like drawing (and any other skill-learning related pursuit) it's not about whether you're "busy". Unless the task requires more than a half hour, you can always make time moderately consistently day by day, provided you give it due diligence.

The biggest thing holding me back is expectations. Expectations of knowing what I'm doing, expectations of my drawing attempt having a specific, tangible benefit for me on the spot, expectations of doing the most maximally beneficial thing to get me to learn the craft. These expectations have resulted it zero progress. If I had just drawn with zero expectations, fully comfortable with not having a clear direction with drills and skills I wanna learn, and just committed to the habit of doing something, I would have made some solid noob progress to this point.

So let this be a lesson learned: destroy your expectations. That's not to say work mindlessly; still draw with purpose, but if you don't quite know if that particular purpose is the most efficient use of your time compared to the infinite other ways you could be practicing, that's okay. It's better to do than to not do.

From now on I'm going to try to draw at least something. If I don't feel like it, or don't have the time, I'm not going to post the image here as proof, and will write a description of what I did instead. More often than not I'll share my pics (best way to track progress), but removing that expectation will help me move along.

I've decided to cut straight to the chase with what I want to improve on. I'm not perfect at light, shadow and form, but my biggest weakness at the moment is drawing in proportion. I want to draw from life, but I can't track my accuracy by drawing from life, so I'm staring by drawing from reference and then overlapping my drawing with the reference.

I've decided to draw on my phone for now until my work gets more finesse, which is where I'll practice more on paper. For now, I'm only looking to roughly replicate a shape after visualizing/mentally measuring it, trying to keep it in proportion.

I made it too long, and the cap too small, among other things. I'm going to re-try this image again, from scratch, hopefully without any help (intentionally or not) from the overlap I saw. Once I'm satisfied with the proportions on this from scratch, I'll move on to another reference photo and draw that one until I'm satisfied with the proportions.

I'm not looking for detail right now, just basic proportions.

I only spent 15 minutes or so on this one since it was in a rush, but tomorrow I'll respect the subject matter and try to actually get it right, regardless of how long it takes. If I run out of time I'll postpone my work for the next session, but I'll reduce my rush next time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Art Pimp x 2
    • List
  9. Trinity l’appel du vide Retired Staff

THE BOI'S BACK IN THE TOWN
    keep going afg

10. Trinity l’appel du vide Retired Staff

11. afgpride Retired Staff

Total hours drawn: 3
    ___
    Very busy day today, had every excuse in the world not to draw, especially with my recent commitment to not sacrificing sleep. Even so, I had 30 minutes before bed to draw, so I did.

Same bottle I'm trying to sketch in proportion:

Second attempt was virtually the same error, too long. I scrapped it and tried again.

Third attempt was too short, but closer than the rest, potentially meaning progress. But it could still be a fluke. Either way, I'm getting experience eyeing out a picture and trying to reconstruct it in proportion. I'm sure if I stick at it, I'll get the hang of it over time. I'll continue trying to sketch out this bottle until I get it in proportion then move on to the next photo. This'll be my level 0 practice on proportion for the time being.

12. afgpride Retired Staff

Total hours drawn: 3.25
    _
    Ran out of time today but tackled this stupid bottle again. I'm getting into the habit of taking out the stylus and sketching before bed despite every excuse not to, which will be key in giving me momentum for when my schedule opens up and I can get 1,2,3 hour chunks in day by day.

The lid and neck area is off, but it's in proportion aside from that, which is encouraging. Still might be a fluke, but didn't expect to get closer and closer with every attempt; thought it would be a zig zag with a general trend toward likeness.

I'm satisfied enough to move on to the next picture, since I doubt sticking to one until I'm miraculously perfect will do me much good. General ball park is a good condition to moving on.

Next reference photo will be a cup, trials will start tomorrow.

13. Aphrodite Angel Eyes

I really love your dedication to learning how to draw. Im sure you will be great at it one day if you keep it up.

14. afgpride Retired Staff

Total hours drawn: 3.5
    ____

Tried to sketch a black cup in proportion, came out too narrow and tall. I'm trying to think of ways to approach the issue more intelligently, like considering the overall form of the object and finding reliable relationships between points on the object. It's proving more difficult than I expected, but I trust if I stick at it I'll get better over time.

It might be a little confusing what I'm even doing right now, so I'll reiterate: I'm trying to look at a picture and roughly sketch it in proportion. I'm doing this drill above others because it's my weakest point right now (looking at a reference and reproducing its basic form), and using reference is a gigantic aspect of art down the line.

No picture this time because the file got accidentally discarded instead of saved on my phone, but I'll likely include one on the next update. This post is for the record.

15. afgpride Retired Staff

Total hours drawn: 4
    _

The cup I'm trying to draw in proportion:

This was my second attempt after a couple days hiatus. I decided to be less anal about perfect measurements and more considerate of general relationships and form. I noticed the tallest part of the cup to the bottom was nearly the same length as the width of the cup (minus the handle), which was slightly narrower, so I made it slightly narrower. I noticed the point of contact from the top part of the handle to the widest part of the handle was about the same size as a third of the cup. I tried to pay attempt to where and how the handle ended, and the relationships of the curves. Still chicken scratches since I'm focusing exclusively on proportion:

I'm surprised at the result. Not perfect, but close enough. It's gaining me a little confidence in the basic skill spitting out macro proportions from photo reference to a canvas, hopefully it keeps getting easier from here on out.