1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Obito Uchiha Character Analysis (warning: long as fuck)

Discussion in 'New Leaf' started by Fusion, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Fusion Well Known-Member

The following are my scattered thoughts on the layout and progression of Obito Uchiha's character.

It will be split into parts due to being very image-heavy. I was planning on using full VIZ scans but I that's unwise so I've cropped the most relevant panels, keeping context as best I can. I'll also use clips from the anime in place of their corresponding manga panels in some places for similar reasons. Rest assured tho, everything I use is canonical material.

With that out of the way...

- - - - - - - - - -​

The first lesson Team 7 had to learn as shinobi was teamwork. They intitially all fought for their own self-interests, which prompted Kakashi to tell them about the memorial stone.

Later, once Sasuke and Sakura sacrifice their food for Naruto, Kakashi unexpectedly passes them and reveals to them his philosophy in life.

His mystery is further compounded with the reveal of his Sharingan, as well. Kakashi is built up as a man of mystery throughout Part I, and after the Third Hokage's death he is shown mourning at the grave of someone called Obito.

(Note that the chapter in which Obito's name is first mentioned is the chapter in which Akatsuki first shows up :maybe)

So, tons of shit happens, and the darkness in Sasuke grows. He eventually abandons Konoha to join Orochimaru. The cast is left crestfallen after his betrayal, with Naruto promising to bring him back no matter what. The chapter in which this resolution occurs starts off with this:

The remaining pages revolve around Naruto's conviction to keep his promise to Sakura, and about comrades who have fallen into darkness. Hmm....

Next, immediately sandwiched between Parts I and II, we have the Kakashi Gaiden, revealing the character of Obito for the first time and showing his role in shaping Kakashi's life.

Obito's character, from beginning to end, centered around the themes of injustice and cherishing one's comrades.

He not only vowed to "crush" the shinobi that diverged from his dogma, but he was able to gather the resolve to kill someone in order to protect Kakashi (this was likely his first kill).

At this point, it is of course important to touch on Obito's love for Rin Nohara. Obito was a kindhearted Uchiha with big ambitions to be Hokage. For a long time his only real support was Rin, so became attached to her.

Spoiler:

Obito's insistence on rescuing Rin in the Gaiden was not, however, just because of his feelings for her. They played a role, but she was also a comrade of his, much like Kakashi. They did, however, play a larger role in his request to Kakashi. Obito ended up being smashed by boulders in the process of saving Kakashi. The two had formed a bond by then, so he entrusted his eye to Kakashi, telling him they would "see the future together". Even though he had been very mature throughout this experience, however, Obito was still a child at heart and told Kakashi to protect Rin at any cost.

It is also important to note Obito's last thoughts before being supposedly killed.

His most desperate wish is to survive so he can spend more times with the people he cherishes, which will become his main drive when rehabilitating in Madara's cave.

Afterwards, a battle ensues and Kakashi moves to protect Rin. He later wakes up with Minato sitting beside him, and wonders if he survived.

Spoiler:

But he wasn't the only one...

Tags:
    • Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Fusion Well Known-Member

Obito awakes in an underground cave with Madara Uchiha. He is relieved to be alive, but is constantly driven by the desire to return to his comrades and protect them with his newfound power. Madara reacts to this by telling him his hopes are futile and reality is cruel.

Spoiler:

But Obito, of course, would not pay heed to this until much later.

Spoiler:

The only thing giving Obito hope and strength during this is the thought of returning to his comrades. That thought is what keeps him going during his time spent down under.

Obito's most prominent trait for a while now has been hope. He's put all his being into reuniting with his comrades and escaping from this creepy geezer. But the reality ended up being far harsher.

Obito's entire world was shattered in this instant. The power he had entrusted to Kakashi to protect Rin was robbing her of her life. Not only did Obito lose the one he loved, but his view of the world was shattered. All his hopes were crushed in that instant. But what happens here is one of the key differences between Obito and Madara. Obito does not lose hope in the world; he denies that he has it. He refuses to accept the reality before him.

Spoiler:

Obito was in an unfamiliar place in unfamiliar circumstances, and his life just fell apart before his eyes. His immediate response is to reject what he sees. In contrast, Madara slowly but surely lost hope in the world over time. He accepted what the world was. Obito couldn't. He never developed, or had time to develop, the mental state for it.

The person he loved most was killed by his best friend, and all his efforts had proven useless. Obito from this point on started operating in the shadows towards the completion of Madara's plan. However, his fixation on camaraderie still remained.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Fusion Well Known-Member

Obito's general persona from this point on slowly becomes more detached and warped. He gains a sarcastic/sadistic bend to his personality and becomes increasingly divorced from reality, as he has abandoned (or rather surpressed) his hope for the world.

He still places a value on comrades, but it's not in the same way he did before. It's more self-serving now.

He still values loyalty, so long as it's loyalty to him. However, when double-crossed he will be merciless.

This is an important divergence from Madara, who didn't really care about the loyalty of his comrades so much as their usefulness to him. As seen by him giving no shits when learning of Nagato's betrayal and not caring about Obito having his own plans either.
    Spoiler:

He's also become quite deluded, choosing to consider the real world and its inhabitants "fakes" and the Mugen Tsukuyomi world to be "truth".

While this may seem like edgy Matrix nonsense (that's what I initially thought, at least) it actually makes sense when considering what it is that drives Bito boi.

He considers bonds and interpersonal relationships to be a farce, because he believes the world will sever those ties, without fail, and cause people to sink into despair. Thus, uniting together would eliminate that and create harmony.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Fusion Well Known-Member

While Obito did initially defect due to Rin's death, he still did not have the hardened outlook on the world he would display in his adult years. As he made moves towards the completion of his plan, Obito observed the shinobi world's workings and it only served to deepen his conviction.

This shared outlook on the world may be why Obito considered Kisame "the person closest to him".

Obito's course is more or less steady by the time of the main story. This starts to change after the Pain arc, when Obito learns of Nagato's betrayal.

Obito is bothered that Nagato, who was quite similar to him, was convinced to switch sides. This sort of reignites the doubt in Obito's heart, and so he goes to ask Naruto about it.

Of course Naruto cuts him off, and so Obito gets no immediate answer. His anxiety and anger towards Nagato and fixation on Naruto escalates when he fights Konan.

This, of course, would come to a head in the Fourth Shinobi World War, where the two shinobi finally clashed head on and pit their ideologies against each other.

Obito also sees himself in Sasuke. Both were motivated by the death of someone they cared about, but chose to nullify their sacrifice for the sake of their personal ideals.

Compare the following

to this

Obito was asking Sasuke if he had the resolve to shit on the sacrifice of someone he loved for the sake of his own motives. Basically asking if he was like him.

And well

To be honest, you could even say Obito's random goal of trying to make Naruto and Sasuke fight was like a projection of his own conflict. But I'll admit that's stretching it a bit. :skully

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Fusion Well Known-Member

Obito's inner conflict slowly starts coming to the forefront around when Kakashi and Guy arrive on the battlefield.

He struggles harder than he'd anticipated in his battle with Naruto, who begins to gain traction in their clash and amasses chakra from almost all the other biju as well as finally synching with Kurama.

He still manages to somewhat retain his composure, but by the time the story next cuts to the battle his detachment has lessened. His lunatic rantings increase in intensity, and he becomes more invested in Naruto and Kakashi. He was probably having Rin flashbacks too but they couldn't be shown then for obvious reasons. :caticon

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

• Like Like x 10
    • List
  6. Fusion Well Known-Member

Once his mask is finally broken, Obito can no longer really run from his insecurities and grief. After all, now that he's unmasked he won't be able to get Kakashi to shut the fuck up. :catquite

He initially maintains some remnants of the detachment he'd held til then.

However, he soon fights Kakashi one-on-one and his rage boils to the surface.

Now I only posted enough of this to get the point across. But this man really beat the living shit out of Kakashi. :fatcat

At any rate, towards the conclusion of their scuffle, Naruto joins in and starts touting his resolve to protect his comrades and defeat Obito and Madara.

Now, it's around this point that Obito really attempts to crush Naruto's ideology, as it's basically his own (formerly of course). But Obito desiring to twist Naruto and in turn solidify his own conviction was first hinted during his fight with Konan, where he swore to "fade him into darkness".

He believes Naruto, and basically every shinobi, is destined to turn out like him (scum, basically. At least, I doubt he meant everyone would become a psychotic masked murderer).

Itachi echoed this same thing to Naruto, warning him of what would happen if he forgot the people that got him where he was.

Obito recognizes that Naruto's ideology was basically the mirror image of his own (due to being passed down to him via Kakashi) among their other similarities. By this point his resolve has wavered a good deal, so he resorts to trying to break Naruto's spirit in order to convince himself his path isn't mistaken.

• Like Like x 9
    • List
  7. Fusion Well Known-Member

As the battle progresses, Obito continues to test Naruto.

Soon though, the Juubi starts to go out of control. This prompts Obito to commence with his plan of , which would enable him to become the Jinchuriki.

I'm pretty sure I've covered all the relevant portions of his battle with Kakashi in previous parts of this, so I'll just speed ahead to after that.

Obito comes out of the Kamui dimension and is immediately assaulted by Madara, who wants Obito to Rinne Tensei him.

This point marks an interesting shift in the way Obito is portrayed. He is seen struggling against Madara's rods and relying on the memories and thoughts of his former comrades to propel him forward and resist the takeover.

It almost makes him seem like a Shonen protagonist tbh.

But even with that, Obito still retains a villainous aura, as seen when he confidently declares that the war hasn't reached its end.

Yet even after becoming the Jin, his ego was still under siege by the Juubi. And once more he draws on his memories of his comrades to resist and regain control. This frequent blending of heroic and villainous portrayals makes his eventual change feel even more organic.

Obito's newly acquired power makes him the focus of the war, although Naruto, Sasuke and others start to gain on him and even the playing field. Obito becomes more agitated at Naruto and his constant interfering with his aims.

His frustration and fixation with Naruto has grown to an insane point. And it started with something so small and seemingly trivial.

So anyway, Obito continues to question and nudge Naruto in order to reach a conclusion about his own choices.

Now, the "my ninja way" thing comes off as bullshit and might not seem like a good answer. But the thing is, Obito isn't asking Naruto how to fix the shinobi world's problems. He's simply trying to see if he has the will to persevere no matter what the world throws at him. And by this point, Obito is almost convinced.

By this point Obito's resolve has wavered considerable, resulting in his defeat.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Fusion Well Known-Member

So this is the part where the main "TnJ" stuff comes in. Through the contact between their chakra, Naruto and Obito enter a sort of shared mental space. There, having connected to his memories, Naruto confronts Obito, frustrated that someone so like him turned out how he did. A lot of the shit discussed has already been covered though, so this'll be brief. :noworries

I'll just post some interesting tidbits I may not have covered well enough earlier.

There's also a parallel here with the Kakashi Gaiden.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

At the end of this talk, Obito is more conflicted than ever, and with the combined power of both Kurama and the Allied Forces, The Biju are released from Obito.

This defeat works well as an end to Obito's threat, because Naruto both utilized the power of all his comrades on the battlefield, and Kurama's power, which was originally placed in Naruto for the purpose of defeating Obito in the first place.

Having been definitively beaten, Kakashi has a final talk with Obito about the path he chose.

Spoiler:

At this point, Obito finally accepts that his path was wrong, and the whole Nagato thing that jumpstarted his indecision is given a conclusion as well.

He resolves to give his life to Rinne Tensei his victims in the war, but Black Zetsu intervenes and forces Madara's resurrection. Obito is put out of commission for a while, but eventually regains his senses, and uses Madara as a means to steel his resolve. Sure, he had switched sides, but he was mellow, depressed, and wrought with guilt.

By talking with Madara, Obito contrasts Madara's ideals with that of Naruto (and also his own original ideals), and finally reclaims his identity as Obito Uchiha, resolving to do his best and end the war.

Obito proved to be an extremely valuable ally in the fight against Kaguya, and gave his life one more time to protect both Kakashi and Naruto (and Sasuke I guess, lel).

In my honest opinion, Obito is one of the best written characters in Naruto. Though that's not saying much because I don't think most characters are well written past a certain point in this series. The overall writing of the manga went to dogshit towards the end, but Obito's arc as a character was consistent, even if I have some issues with its execution.

And well, that's about all I have to say, I guess. :caticon

Spoiler: TL;DR
    THERE IS NO TLDR, YOU DIDN'T READ THEN FUCK YOU :catslam

- - - - - - - - - -
    :blobsweat

• Like Like x 13
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  9. Pocalypse Well-Known Member

England
    :drake

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Kuzehiko Infinite

I'd feel bad if I'd disagree with all of this. There are several points I agree with. For example kid Obito's traits still present in adult Obito and Obito>Madara in terms of personality traits. It's a good work. :caticon

However, remember people might disagree with you without even reading your points and giving them a try.

Anyway good work dude.:shooterstars

11. Brandon Lee Green days are not gone

Mexico
    Obito is the best Uchiha (actually the only good one)

hail obito

the springtime of youth is within him

12. Clowe King of Nothing

This was a very nice read, thanks for this.

A point that is brought up a lot regarding Obito is the supposed incosistency regarding his character, that he seems like two different characters pre and post mask removal, but that is simply not the case. His character and his arc is pretty cosistent from beginning to end.

Well, maybe not when he was goofing off with Deidara, but that was a fake personality anyway, so It doesn't really count.

13. Keishin Well-Known Member

Orochimaru
    Pein
    Madara

Kabuto
    Obito

There was nothing special about Obito. He was a flop that Kishimoto maybe thought he has grand ideas about the moment he created Tobi. Didn't go anywhere. Boring, uninspired, terrible as a villain, worse as a hero. Ass pulls, conveniences and plot holes explain his dozen miraculous revivals.

• Neutral Neutral x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. 123fire Witches>>>Your favorite

• Coolest Guy! Coolest Guy! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Kuzehiko Infinite

Well, canon established that the coolest guy is Obito. It is not even debatable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Coolest Guy! Coolest Guy! x 1
    • List
  16. Fusion Well Known-Member

I ain't a comedian :ufdup

Whether he's "special" or not or even a good character isnt really my concern here. I just wanted to present some angles to the character that I often see go overlooked, if not outright ignored. :catshrug

17. Sixpence None The Richer Oops

If this was about Sasuke or Mad's i would legit read all of it. But since this is about Crybito...

TLDR

18. Fusion Well Known-Member

I mean, I'm pretty sure Sauce has cried more than Obito, but your loss. :caticon

19. Dean Ambrose Forums Vacation

:maybe

Spoiler:
    :catball

:maybe

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Packard Vacation banned

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. Go D. Usopp Straw Hats Wanker

i'd be lying if i said i read the entire thing but hooleey fuk

thats such a throughly analysis lmao

22. Acnologia Dragon King

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    Obito>>>>>>>>>>Shitachi:ufdup

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  23. Sage light Well-Known Member

I don't understand this hype on Obito....tho good thread OP......but he doesn't have the coolness which Hashirama, Itachi, Tobi and Sasuie posessess which is why I can't confront to like him.....Itachi is far more better, maybe a 1000 times better....?

24. Fusion Well Known-Member

You mean the swirly faced Zetsu who was obsessed with poop? Or Tobirama?

25. Sage light Well-Known Member

Swirly cool guy who speaks with dat badass voice.

26. Fusion Well Known-Member

:bury

27. Yagami1211 The Dragon of Dojima

France
    Catdank Faction:
    It's the same poop obsessed guy.

28. Fusion Well Known-Member

Our friend doesn't seem to be though. :hm

29. Raventhal Sage of the Six Pack

Why would it be hard to understand a character would act different after literally being unmasked. Especially since his originally had a totally different personality when showed up as Tobi.

30. Fusion Well Known-Member

It shouldn't be hard to understand. But the thing is he didn't act different. :catshrug