1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Obsession with rankings and tiers

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by morbo_2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. morbo_2 Has anyone seen my wallet?

I just don't get the need for there to be like some kind of tier/ranking list for the character's. I mean, I could understand the need for there to be some sort of general idea the character's strength, but with the posts that I've seen throughout my time here, there are users who list the characters in numerical order, which are normally based on said users' perception.

The problem with this is that it's impossible to list how well the characters would do in a fight, since it is purely situational. It should be enough to know that Kakashi is strong, yet not as strong as Itachi (currently).

Anyways, that's about it for now. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Tags:
  2. Spanish Hoffkage Lol. Kisame

That's cause you are mere chuunin level.

3. Devilguy Darkness over 9,000!!!

90% of the discussions here are more or less about who's stronger than whom. Making a rough tier list does not make me more obsessed about ranking than most battledome or even library lurkers.
    If you don't agree with the thread creator, then do like everyone here: insult him or give him an anonymous negrep. Unless he is a Yondaime/Naruto/Jiraiya fan because in this case you would be in deep shit.^^

4. Futagokage Runaway Kage

Yes, but is part of the "forum" life, many people dislike pairings and any other stuff, but for others is fun so they kept doing it. And of course they kept ranking the characters, is a responsability of all fanboys defend their worship object at the eyes of the world.

5. Lunchin15 0_o

I had waffles this morning, so my brain is still not working.

6. Naruko Supporting Staff

It passes the time =)

For me, ranking is too subjective - no matter how strong (or seemingly weak) someone is, there is some other character out there that would be a perfect foil for them, effectively balancing the playing field. But it's easier for folks to just do flat rankings ...I blame sports and the ranking mentality there crossing over to here.

But mostly it just passes the time.

Waffles rocks, btw, good call.

7. Turnip Girl Purveyor of Fine OroKabu

I don't get it either.

But it gives people something to talk about, right?

8. The Fourth Hokage Shinobi Perfection

I have no problem about one person sayin that someone is stronger than someone else. It causes people to respond and we get some good things out of that most of the time. My only problem is people taking this over into creating fake levels...for example Kage leve., Hokage level, Sannin level, Akatsuki level.

It really ruins it because these don't exist. These are titles and you can't raise yourself to a certain strength and suddenly be considered for one of these positions. Look at Akatsuki...Naruto owned Deidara. There's no way he could do the same to Itachi (at that level), so there's a range of levels in Akatsuki as well.

Long story short, compare the shinobi not the titles. It just makes more sense. Also, another guy tried to make some up in another thread recently and that was just completely retarded (half-god, lol so retarded)

9. CrazyMoronX Old Man

If we didn't have rankings, there would be 15,000 less posts on this forum. :cry

Why you gotta make me cry?

10. Kinjishi Well-Known Member

I hate it too. Why cant we all accept that the 4th is the strongest ever and Jiraiya the strongest alive.But seriously its just something to argue about until Thursday, when we can enjoy another chapter and argue about something else.

11. Elfberserker Member

Because social interaction in internet FTW!!!!!!!!1

Yes I know it sounded wrong and I just failed on multiply levels, but I just couldn?t resist it...

Anyway while it?s true that most discussion about strenght rank is like listening horrible music all the time or having constant hangovers sometimes thought rarely there sometimes pops up intresting observations.

12. Ofkinheimer Active Member

It's mostly because fanboys needs reasons to support their delusions.

The rest of us are not so concerned with speculating who would "pwn" who in a fight between two characters that have yet to have a fight in the manga.

13. Shishi-O Oda Is God

well this is a manga based on the military, and military is all about rank and aptitude.smile-big

plus, this manga wraps everything together in the way that makes it a chess game with jankenpon deciding the meetings/ difficulty level of differing parties

14. docdiggy New Member

Its always seemed like final fantasy (or most other rpg's) you can have a level 99 character going up against a level 80 character but the level 80 character wins because of some specific advantage. Like the level 80 character has very strong fire spells and the level 99 character is ice based and week to the element. however the level is still helpful to give a general idea of the players strength.

I hope this example makes sense to everyone.

15. Haohmaru The Legendary Samurai

its a shonen manga in the same sence as dbz, meaning its about whos stronger than who. and who is the strongest?

16. docdiggy New Member

I agree that thats true for the basic way things work but i think dragon ball really took that to an extreme. Really to the point that if you were not as strong as your opponent you pretty much could not hurt them and skill and battle experience/strategy didn't matter. In naruto kishi seems to really stress that intelligence and careful planning can (not always) win a fight.

P.S. I know I'm a new poster but i have been reading this forum for like two years. I just don't want to seem like I'm some newb bustin balls (which I'm not bustin ball)smile-big

17. Devilguy Darkness over 9,000!!!

Every single character used the very same techniques so the power level was the only discriminating factor, indeed.

18. Lain doesn't afraid of anything

I don't quite understand it either. I really don't care if anyone says ninja X is better than ninja Y... you'll only know for sure if they actually fight.

I could say Konohamaru could pwn Itachi right about now... and nobody could really prove that right or wrong, because we haven't seen Konohamaru for a while. Same applies for pretty much everyone else, especially Sasuke. So... basically everyone is all talk right now, and it's really pointless.

And... sheesh, why can't you kids just read the damn manga like normal people? Instead you're trying to get way too much out it, like a ranking system. wtf? Damn kids need to get outside...

19. docdiggy New Member

Its strange though how chunin seems to be more like a military ranking. Since one gets the rank by being more level headed and being an exceptional leader.

Jounin as near as i can tell is more based on how strong a fighter you are or how powerful you jitsues(sp) are but I guess since you have to be a chunin first the leadership is a given for a jounin.

20. Rhaella nothing but the rain

Fighting about who's stronger than whom is a bit silly, yeah. But it passes the time, and people enjoy doing it. Sometimes something interesting comes up, so I have no problem with it. :)

21. Devilguy Darkness over 9,000!!!

You are a member of this forum so you have no right to mock others about this like you do. It's the pot calling the kettle black...

22. CM Pope The Holy Father

Rankings in Dragonball Z are fine.
    Everyone has a power level.
    People can say stuff like "Frieza looses cos Super Saiyan Goku is stronger"

With Naruto it just doesn't work at all.

You've got Shikamaru, a Chuunin, holding up a member of Akatsuki.
    Sakura, also a Chuunin seeing through Sasori's attack pattern - another member of Akatsuki.
    Sasuke who embarasses a ANBU member, Yamato.

Rankings, tiers and levels in Naruto don't mean jack. Hinata with a kunai in her hand can kill Itachi sitting on his arse taking a dump - does that mean that Hinata is suddenly 'Kage-level'?!

I've always said rankings and tiers were useless in Naruto and I'm saying it yet again. The only time they're even remotely useful is to back-up claims like Itachi>Orochimaru that has Manga-proof to it.

23. Lain doesn't afraid of anything

Being a member of the forum doesn't mean anything concerning to this. I basically mean the kids to get away from their Naruto manga scanlations and take a damn break before they hurt themselves. It's getting out of hand.

24. Devilguy Darkness over 9,000!!!

It's obvious that you are new to these forums if you think the atmosphere is especially tense. I suggest you mind your own business instead of pretending to be an almighty figure of wiseness worthy of dictating people what to do.

25. Shishi-O Oda Is God

me like just the same.

it is an rpg though, i mean it come from the country most likely to put the term rpg in their national anthem.