1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Official College Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by abstract, Dec 30, 2009.

1. abstract aware wolf

Official College Basketball Thread. Consider this the official place to discuss all things college basketball including March Madness.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
    Tags:
  2. abstract aware wolf

Official College Basketball Thread - March Madness is on!

I decided to wait until conference play this year seeing as how *cough* i forgot to make it in time for non conference play.

Here is the current top 25:

The teams that have a legit shot of winning it all this year:

Syracuse: Lead the nation in assists, steals, and FG %, as well as being in the top 10 in blocks. They have incredible length with their shortest player being 6'4, and great depth to compliment their length. By game 10 they already had 6 players lead the team in scoring. Have a very legit POY candidate in transfer Wes Johnson who had 20 pts, 19 rebounds and 5 blocks tonight.

Texas: Maybe the best defense and deepest bench in the country, they also have incredible length. A very mentally tough team with a barrage of players that can score 25 and 15 on any given night.

Kansas: Maybe the best in-out combination in college basketball with Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich. They have a number of role players to compliment Sherron and Cole as well, most notably Xavier Henry and Morningstar. They can also shoot from 3 with the best of them.

and finally...

Kentucky
    : The team that everybody is talking about. They have the best freshman and maybe POY in John Wall, who is already being declared as the number 1 draft pick in the NBA next year. They have great length all over the court, and are an all around complete basketball team. Their only weak spot being their immaturity. They start 3 freshmen after all. But they should still contend for the final 4.

Let the madness commence ^___^

EDIT: I created a bracket pool strictly for NF, you can join it here.

3. abstract aware wolf

purdue went down, along with duke and kansas st.

4. Chocochip COOKIE

5. Roy I'm with <b><font color="#ff6600">COCO</font></b>

6. abstract aware wolf

Kansas' inside-out game is highly overrated. I still think they're a final four contender for sure, but with the exception of collins the majority of their team doesn't seem to have any drive.

@ roy

don't feel bad, at least the rest of the pac-10 is having an off year too :lmao

7. Roy I'm with <b><font color="#ff6600">COCO</font></b>

True. But..we were in the final four like 2 years ago. How quickly things change :<

8. Gabe Murim Grand Master

i think kentucky or texas have a good shot of wining the championship this year. i think duke has a chance as well at least to make it to the elite 8.

9. Nagato Sennin Well-Known Member

10. abstract aware wolf

Texas scares the living CRAP out of me(as a syracuse fan). They are so freaking deep, are a team of upper classmen, have two VERY good inside men, have great defenders in man to man or zone, fantastic in transition, can hit clutch 3's, they've got the whole package.

Kentucky, eh...they've got fantastic length but they're still young. We'll see how a team of freshmen fares come march. Plus, I fucking hate their attitude. Especially cousins. Dudes a fucking punk with little class.

Evan Turner happened lol. Maybe the best athlete in the country.

Although purdue is better than I originally thought.

11. Chocochip COOKIE

Don't start hating on Kentucky just now because a few of their players will become the best NBA players in their time.

12. abstract aware wolf

yeah yeah, I know they're ridiculously talented.

cousins just has no respect for the game. calling out future opponents saying he's "not impressed", barking at fans etc. etc.

I can't help but root against him. I know john wall is a phenom, though.

13. b0rt retired, moving on. =)

I really like how Duke is playing this year.

14. Sogeking is unfazed.

personally, I'm astounded by how much the pac 10 has fallen off this year... especially ucla.

15. Nic .

16. abstract aware wolf

Yeah, now UK is the only undefeated left. I can't wait until they lose :kukuku

It just sucks because Texas is still going to be ahead of Syracuse, even though syracuse has the same record, more marquee wins and just got off a 3-0 roadtrip in the big east which is VERY difficult to do.

17. Rukia I’m the fucking game!

Germany
    Kansas has the most talent. But they just look like they don't care sometimes. The Big 12 is a terrific conference this year. Kansas will lose several road games in conference if they keep playing like this.

18. Gabe Murim Grand Master

north carolina is playing bad this season. their young players are not playing well.

19. abstract aware wolf

yeah, I'm honestly surprised they have fallen so far :\

they DID beat michigan st earlier in the year after all, and hung tough with texas until the last couple of minutes.

They're more talented than this. I think their immaturity is getting the best of them. Also though, they were missing a couple of key players against NCST. They probably would have beaten them at full strength.

20. Gabe Murim Grand Master

maybe when NC get theirs injured players back they will get better. cause they will need help or they will miss the tournament after winning the title last year. they will end up like florida did after all their good players left to the NBA

21. Qnslaught Member

Purdue fan here. That losing streak really hurt us, went from the #4 team in the country to #4 in the Big Ten. The rest of the schedule is pretty tough, Michigan St. twice, Wisconsin, and Ohio State. I don't see us getting through that with fewer than two loses. Hopefully we can still manage to get a 2 or 3 seed for the tournament.

22. Sena Kobayakawa Girls are: Yoona, HyunA

I never was a huge college bball fan but I hope Kentucky wins it this year. John Wall is an absolute stud.

23. abstract aware wolf

my syracuse absolutely picked apart arch rival georgetown tonight :del

god I love this team.

24. Rukia I’m the fucking game!

Germany
    This is the best Syracuse team since Carmelo Anthony and Hakim Warrick. It's going to be really hard to beat them in the state of New York (including the Big East Tournament @ MSG). I would like to see a match-up with Villanova. The differing styles would be interesting. Villanova throws out like 4 skilled guards at once. They might be able to bomb away on that famous zone D.

25. Gabe Murim Grand Master

Syracuse looks good this year. i want to see them play Kentucky. it would be an interesting match up.

26. abstract aware wolf

I agree, in all my years of watching syracuse play I've never enjoyed watching any of their teams more than I do this one. So unselfish, and so many athletes. Our offense is so free flowing as well, but you'd expect that of the team that leads the country in FG % as well as assists per game.

I think the Villanova game will eventually decide who whens the Big East regular season title this year. I don't see either team having more than 3 BE losses by the time the tournament roles around at MSG.

SU doesn't have a cake walk of a schedule left by any means, with games @ Gtown and Louisville, as well as games against Uconn and Nova at home. But nova is going to have their work cut out for them. They still have to play West Virginia twice, Uconn, Gtown, and Cuse. Although, with the amount of three's they can throw down, it will be a VERY interesting match up against the 2-3 later in the month. Im just glad it's on our turf.

Yeah, I agree. They've got the length to hang with us, as well as the 3 point shooting. The only thing however, which i've been saying about kentucky all year-

I don't know how their poise would hold up against a zone like SU plays. We're capable of causing fits because of the turnovers our zone causes, and capitalizing on all of your mistakes(note the 23-0 run we went on against north carolina). I don't know how they would hold up against a run like that, they're still young.

Also, texas vs. syracuse would be a great match up. IMO the two best defensive teams in the country, they are very similar.

27. Chocochip COOKIE

Is there a division better than the Big East?
    I know the Big 12 has Kansas and Texas while the SEC has Kentucky but the Big East seems stacked at this point.

28. Lord Genome Spiral King

Holy shit that was amazing

29. Rukia I’m the fucking game!

Germany
    Kentucky was overrated. They haven't beaten anyone and their team is too inexperienced. It's hard to imagine them beating Kansas based on what I have seen. :hmpf

30. abstract aware wolf

Yeah, the Big East has really evened out and become a better over all conference this year. Last year you had the mega teams in Pitt, Louisville, and Uconn and then it was a pretty big drop off from there.

This year you've got 'Cuse and Nova which seem to be title contenders, and then the middle of the pack is a grinder. Really, the only easy outs on any given night are Depaul and USF.

I really don't see them going far in the tourney. You've got to be tested come March and they really don't play stiff competition week in and week out.

If they're playing their absolute A game then they can hang, but they'd probably be 3rd in the Big 12, and then 3-4 in the Big East.