1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Official Major League Baseball Thread!: Stay Classy Jeter

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by Various Styles, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Various Styles Member

Ok, with the regular season set to kick off this Sunday I decided to start this thread to discuss teams, individual players, stats, make predictions, and everything else baseball related.

I'll kick off this thread with some predictions, starting with the American League.

AL East

Boston Red Sox

If some of their star playes can stay healthy, this year's teams is better than the team who won the World Series last year and they have a great shot to do it again.

Their young General Manager Theo Epstein upgraded the defense by getting perhaps the best defensive shortstop in the game, Edgar Renteria. He's also one of the best hitting shortstops in the league. Before coming to the Sox Edgar thrived in St. Louis, another great baseball town so handling the media circus and answering fan expectations should not be difficult for him.

Epestein also did the right thing in getting rid of a declining Pedro Martinez who clearly didn't want to play in Boston anymore. Then he went out and got a very capapable replacement, David Wells. The veteran left hander has a long history of coming up big in big stituations, has a couple of World Series rings so he knows how to win, and he has a perfect game under his belt.

Other of the Sox's highlights this season include Bronson Arroyo and Matt Clement, both young players are predicted to have a very good year. Another starter,Wade Miller, can also be a factor but he'll start the season on the 15-Day DL and has a history of getting hurt so I'm not so sure about him.

Second place team - New York Yankees

AL Central

Minnesota Twins

I really like this team. They remind me of the teams that used to play in days long gone. The teams I used to read about in old baseball books and watch on ESPN Classic.

Despite having one of the smallest payrolls in the lague, I think these guys are the best team in the AL. Here's why.

Let's start with their pitching staff. They have arguably the number one most dominant pitcher in the league, Johan Santana. Even the Yankees and Red Sox owners admitted that they're afraid to face this kid twice in a playoff series, or any other time for that matter. They have dept in their starting rotation with Santan, Radke, and Silva.

They have a proven dominating closer in Joe Nathan and one of the best, if not the best, bullpen in the Majors with guy like Nathan, Romero, Crain, etc.

They're also the number one defensive team in the league. Their outfielders, nicknamed the 'Soul Patrol', consisting of Torri Hunter, Jacque Jones, and Shannon Stewart gives a lot of opposing teams headaches.

One thing that might hurt them though is that even though they've won their division three straight years, they've never had it as hard as they're going to have it this year. The Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, and Detroit Tigers have all improved greatly and experts predict that one of them might even over take the Twins. Playing in such a though division might take their toll on the team, but they're still my pick to win the AL Central.

Second place team - Cleveland Indians.

AL West

Aneheim Angels

The Anegels are lucky to be playing in a division in which most of the teams are more likely than not going to have a bad year due to either having youn ballclucbs, or just using this year as a rebuilding year. The only team that could give them competition are the Oakland Athletics.

But the A's traded away what two of their pitchers - Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder, who a lot of people say were the main reasons for their success these past couple of years. At the moment they only have one proven, successful pitcher in Barry Zito. The rest of the starting pitchers are either inexperienced like Rich Harden (who some say will be a pleseant surprise) or have yet to establish themselves as reliable pitchers.

Anyway, back to the Angels. Vladimir Guerrero, the 2004 MPV, is once again the Angels main offensive threat for the Angels, followed by Garret Anderson who is finally healthy and should be a big factor and Steve Finley woh despite his age (40) is still one of the best defensive outfielders and can also still swing the stick very well.

This might be a little off-topic, but does anyone else love watching Vladimir Guerrero play? I mean, this guy is by far the greatest bad ball ball hitter in the game today. Not to mention he's a great defender with a hell of an arm.
    He doesn't wear batting gloves, no steroid accusations, just pure raw talent. I don't think much of the Angels as a team but I'll certainly be pulling for this guy.

Now, their pitching. They only have one quality ace, Bartolo Colon and the rest of the staff raises some questions. Kelvim Escobar and Jared Washburn certainly do have the talent to be win 15+ this year, but they are very streaky.

As for their bullpen, it's nothing out of the ordinary until you get to the closer - Fransico Rodriguez. This youngster has unbelievable talent, I should know, I watched as he dominated my Cubbies in the Interleague play last season. However, last year he was the set up man for the Angels long time closer Troy Percival, he's unproven as a closer and it'll be interesting to see how he handles the pressure.

Awards Predictions

AL MVP - Alex Rodriguez, SS, NY.
    I'll put aside my dislike of my fellow latino and pick him to win the AL MVP award. You know he's something special when the year before he had 36 HR, 106 RBIs, .286 BA - and it was considered a bad season!

At time last year he did seem to have trouble getting comfortable in the big apple. But this will be his second year playing for the Yankees and I'm expecting him to have a monster season like the ones he had a few years ago with Texas.

Predicted Stats: 50+ HR, 110+ RBIs, .300+ BA.

Runner Ups: Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez.

AL Cy Young - Johan Santana, P, MN

I wanted to say Randy Johnson, but that would be to easy.
    This left hander left quite a number of people - including me - in awe last year. He had arguably the best seond half of the season in baseball history. Fifteen starts, thirteen wins, 1.21 ERA. I'm expecting him to have another 18-20 win season this year.

Runner Ups: Randy Johnson, Bartolo Colon

Those are my American League predictions, and of course as you know pre-season predictions are always right. :p

I'll post my National League predictions later on today or tomorrow.

Tags:
  2. Jones ...and they served the beam.

wow, i didnt know there was a sports section in an anime forum until now. thank you for informing me with your long boring post.

3. darkturkey .

I don't think A.Rod is going to do any better this year

4. Various Styles Member

That's cool, I know that this is, like you said, an anime forum. But I'm sure there are a few people that would like to discuss the sport.

For me it was a tough call between him, Manny, and Vladimir. But A-Rod is a better player than what he showed last year. I think he had some trouble getting accustomed to life in New York City. And also last year was his first with the yankees, there was a lot of pressure on him to perform. I don't think the pressure is that high this year so I'm expecting a very good year from Alex.

Baseball News
    Just ten minutes ago Baseball announced that it had suspended Alex Sanchez, OF, TB, for using steroids. He has been suspended for ten days, making him the first Major Leaguer to be suspended for steroids.

It surprised me, because Sanchez is not the type of guy you would think would use steroids. He's very skinny, has only four career home runs, and his main attribute is his speed.

5. FoolyCooly FLCLkage

You gonna make National League picks?

6. Various Styles Member

Of Course!

I wanted to edit my oiginal post and include my National League predictions but it was like 4700 words over the 10000 limit lol. So instead I'll post them here.

---------------------------------------

National League

NL East

Atlanta Braves

Yes, I am picking the Braves the win the National League for the fourteenth straight year.

I'll start with thier pitching. Every one of their starters pitched very well during spring training. John Smoltz, a maintstay in the Atlanta Braves pitching staff since 1988 will be making his first start since 2001. There are critics that say that he will be to rusty to be effective. But he has silenced most of those critics with a solid pre-season. The Braves are also expecting something along the lines of 15+ wins for both Mike Hampton and John Thompson.

Perhaps their biggest off season pitching upgrade has been the addition of closer Dan Kolb. He was a great surprise for the Milwakee(sp?) last year and established himself as one of the game's premier closers. Add him to an already solid bullpen and the Braves should give opposing teams headaches in the late innings.

Their offense thie year is looking even better. Andrew Jones lead all players this pre-season with ten home runs and experts are predicting that this will be the break out year for Jones. Which is scary for other teams, considering he was already a very good hitter.

Another one of the Braves outfileders, Brian Jordan, is entering the season with high hopes. He has been injured a lot othe past couple of years but can be a 20-30 home run guy when healthy.

Then there's Chipper Jones, one of the game's most consitant and feared hitters. He did have a down year last year despite hitting 30 home runs and 96 RBIs, but most people don't think much of it. He's expected to go come back to his original form this year, which would be 35+ HR, 110+ RBS, .300+ Ba.

Finally, there's Rafael Furcal and Brian Giles, both young All Star caliber players. What they lack in power they make up in consistancy and speed, especially in Furcal's case.

Bobby Cox, their manager, has always stressed good defense and that is one area in which their team is very confident in. Their oufield is very solid with Andrew Jones, the best defensive outfielder in the game with six straight Gold Glove awards, Brian Jordan who's average, and Raul Mondesi who has a great arm.

Their infield might need some work. Chipper Jones has always been good defensively, but youngster Rafael Furcal and Brain Jordan are still perfecting their fielding skill.

Second place team - Florida Marlins

NL Central

St. Louis Cardinals

I hate the Cardinals, and it pains me to choose them over my Cubbies but I have to fair.

This team won 105 games last year - and they're a better team this year.

Their pitching was their Achilles Heel last season. Their pitchers suffered from a number of injuries but this year they're all healthy and ready to go.

Chris Carpenter was their ace last year despite being inured for a part of the season. He's had a good spring training and is exptected to pitch at least 200 innings.

Mark Mulder is considered to the last piece of the Cardinals Championship puzzle. He was the American League's starting pitcher in the All Star game last year. Experts predict a 18-20 win season from him.

Add those two to a list of proven starters like Jason Marquis, Jeff Suppan, and Matt Morris and you get one of the most solid starting rotations. At least on paper.

While they struggled with pitching last year, the Cardinals were the most feared offensive team in the Majors. Their 2-7 hitters can all give you problems.

Larry Walker, despite getting up there in age, is still one of the best all around players in the bigs. He'll be the set up man of sorts for the Cardinals big sluggers. See below.

Well, what can I say about Albert Pujols that hasn't already been mentioned a million times? The guy is simply amazing. I have never seen anybody, with the exception of Barry Bonds maybe, make pitchers dramtically change the way they pitch every time he comes up to the plate. Baseball Analysts say that he may be the only player in the Majors currently caplable of winning the Triple Crown.

My predicted stats for him: 40-45 HR, 120+RBIs, .330+ BA.

Now, one of my personal favorites, Scott Rolen. Best all around third baseman in the maojrs. Has been called the best defensive third baseman of all time by some. He enjoyed a career year last year, and I don't expect him to equal those numbers, but he's always a threat.

Predicted Stats: 30HR, 90-100+ RBI, .290-.300 BA.

Finally, we have Jim Edmonds. For now, let's forget his arsenal of Gold Glove awards and let's focus on his offense. He has one of the most fluent, almost beautiful swings in baseball. Which is not surprising, considering that for whatever reason, lefties seem to habe better swings than righties. He also has massive power, capable of reaching the upper deck at any time. He can be streaky at time though and sometimes strikes out a little to much, but his team mates can pick up the slack.

Predicted Stats: 35 HR, 90 RBIs, .300+ BA.

Second place team - Chicago Cubs

NL West

San Francisco Giants

The Giants are lucky to be playing in a bad league, and they should win the division, with or without Barry Bonds.

They have more depth in their pitching staff than they did last year. Jason Schmidt, a Cy Young Candidate, had a good spring and is one of the most dominantat and durable pitchers around.

Kirk Reuter has battles injuries these past couple of years, but he is a solid pitcher. Expect something around 14 wins for this guy.

Noah Lowry will entering his second year in the majors, after a very promising rookie season. He is not a power pitchers, but he has an awsome change up and is a very smart pitchers. He has been compared to Greg Maddux.

They have one of the most dominating closers in the game in Armando Benitez, who has had a fantastic pre-season.

The most important question surrounding this team is, "without Barry Bonds, will they score enough runs?". While I'm no baseball expert, my answer would be yes.

During the off season they acquired Moises Alou, known as one of the game's best fastball hitters. He also plays a solid outfield.

Predicted Stats: 30+HR, 90+ RBIs, .290+ BA.

Ray Durham is one of the best leadoff hitters in the majors and is very solid offensively. He also has some power.

Omar Vizquel - well he is simply the best defensive shortstop since Ozzie Guillen in the 80s. Capable of of a .300 BA and is an expert when it comes to bunting and doing the little things.

J.T. Snow. Brilliant defense over at first base with a little power. Smart player.

They also have the advantage of being managed by Felipe Alou, on of my personal favorite managers, and a proven leader.

Second place team - Los Angeles Dodgers.

NL Awards Predictions

NL MVP - Albert Pujols, OF, SL

As I mentioned above, one of the most feared hitters in the game. Has handled the pressure and media in St. Louis extremely well.

Predicted Stats: 40-45 HR, 120+RBIs, .330+ BA.

Runner Ups: Andrew Jones, Nomar Garciaparra.

NL Cy Young - Carlos Zambrano , P, C(NL)

Carlos Zambrano?!? Are you out of your freaking mind?!

No, just hear me out on this one.

Carlos Zambrano proved last year that besides enormous talent, he has other qualities that you need to win. He is not afraid to pitch inside to batters, a dying art. He will aso hit the occasional man if they're getting alittle to comfortable in the plate. He has the right winning attitude. I love the emotion he shows on the field, though sometimes that has gotten him into trouble. But Dusty and the cubs have worked with him on that and he should be a more mature pitcher this year.

His two-seam and four-seam fastballs regularly hit the mid 90s. He has a very fast and "heavy" sinker that confuses hitters and gives Carlos a lot of ground ball outs. He also loves to pitch at home, last season he was 10-2 at Wrigley while 6-6 on the road. He's also the most durable pitcher the Cubs have, averaging 112 pitches per start lat year and pitched well over 200 innings.

Runner Ups: Pedro Martinez, Jason Schmidt.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  7. SUSHI KILLER 4000 RULER OF ALL SUSHI'S

I dis-agreed. He's got alot of prove!!! Expect the old A-ROD

A-ROD WILL WIN MVP!

8. Insidious_Sid Vicious Mind

Rookie of the Year predictions:

AL: Jeremy Reed - Seatlle Mariners

An on base machine with power and speed batting 2nd in a stacked offensive lineup, it's no wonder the experts have started hyping him up already. This kid has the potential to be one of the better center fielder in the leagues this year, nevermind just the rookie class. Stiff competition could arise though, with plenty of young names like Scott Kazmir and Nick Swisher in the AL this year to challenge him for the honor. This race could get interesting.

NL: Jeff Francis - Colorado Rockies

A bold prediction! Something about the NL 2005 rookie class seems thin to me this year, and I think it has something to do with Craig Biggio blocking Chris Burke for no apparent or logical reason. Still, to be honest, were he anywhere but Colorado, I think this would seem like a sure thing. Francis is a filthy left-hander that should rack up a lot of strikeouts, and he has the potential to be a future ace. Unfortunately, he pitches home games in the worse possible park for a rookie starter to pitch in. If he keeps his ERA even somewhat below 5.00, though, I think he'll take home this award.

9. darkturkey .

A-rod better work on his defense if he wants that MVP, he lost the yankees the game today by bobbling a grounder. That made my day. :smile-big

10. Various Styles Member

I remember hearing a lot of good things when he was tearing up the minors back in 2003, though I lost track of him after that. But I've been looking around and yea, he does look quite promising. They label him as a five-tool player. But, I'd say that Nick Swisher will take the AL Rookie of the Year award. He has already been involved in high pressure ballgames with the A's last year and performed fairly well for a rookie.

I agree. This guy certainly does have the stuff to become a future ace, but like you said, he's pitching in the wirst possible place for a rookie pitcher. If I remember correctly he got roughed up a bit in his first appearance, going one inning and giving up six runs. But who knows, he could be another Jason Jennings. One guy who would have given him competition for the Rookie of the year award is, in my opinion, the Chicago Cubs Jason Dubois. This kid has a ton of power and was named one of the Cubs 10 best prospects by Baseball America. Though it surprises me that he wasn't called up to the majors earlier. (He's 26 years old, fairly old for a rookie, and spent five years in the majors, even though he did exceptionally well in the minors.)

What's this, a fellow Yankees hater? Awsome!
    Yes that error by A-Rod cheered me up, It made the cubs losing that day a little bit more bearable.

Speaking of the Cubs, any Chicago fans out there?

If there are, don't be shy, show yourselves!
    Here's a little recap of the the Cubs first five games of the season, I posted this earlier on my Baseball Blog, I don't know If I'm allowed to posts URLs so I wont. You can look in my profile for the URL if you want.

4/9 - MIL @ CHC
    The game started off with a scare in the first inning in which Carlos Zambrano stopped the game after striking out the Brewers lead off hitter Brady Clark. The trainers, Dusty, and the whole infield went to see what was going on with Zambrano's arm. Luckily, it was nothing more than a cramp, which happens to Carlos from time to time.

He was lights out the rest of the game. Going 7 and a third innings of one hit baseball, walking two, and striking out six.

But he did more than pitch. He also went two for four at the plate, including an RBI single to help his own cause. Here's what manager Dusty Baker had to say about Carlos's performance:

"He was throwing great from the beginning," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said. "He threw the ball well, he hit well, he ran well. He did everything well today. He wanted that victory. He knew we needed it. His fastball was moving and he threw a great ballgame." (Credit to: Cubs.Com)​

Adding to the offensive total, Jeromy Burnitz homered in the sixth. It was his first home run as a Chicago Cub. Congratulations to him, and may wee see many more this season.

Winning Pitcher: Carlos Zambrano (1-0)
    Losing Pitcher: Ben Sheets (1-1)

4/8 MIL @ CHC
    It was a disappointing home opener for the Cubs and their fans as they had to witness another melt down by the relievers and a 6-3 loss in twelve innings.

In his first start of the season, we witnessed a classic Kerry Wood, a lot of strikeouts, a lot of walks, and an early exit. His statline is as follows:
    5 and 2/3 innings, seven strikeouts, four walks, two runs on four hits, and two hit batsman. He left after walking Branyan with the bases loaded.

But he still left with the lead. Latroy Hawkins came in the ninth inning to try and close out the game but gave up a double to Lyle Overbay on a two strike pitch. Juniior Spivey, who had singled earlier in the inning, came around and scored.

In the 12th inning the Brewers put the game away buy scoring three runs thanks in part to an Aramis Ramirez error and a Junior Spivey hit with the bases loaded.

Winning Pitcher: De la Rosa (1-0)
    Losing Pitcher: Jon Leicester (0-1)

4/6 - CHC @ ARI
    The D'backs took the rubber game of their season opening series against the Chicago Cubs, 8-3.

Ryan Dempster, making his first start since 2003, got rocked early, giving up seven run on nine hits in 3 and 2/3 innings. One of the lone beight spots for him was striking out seven man.

Ryan didn't pitch as bad as his numbers indicate, though. He managed to get two strikes and two outs but was not able to finish them off. In fact, Arizona's first four runs came with two outs.

Brandon Webb pitched five plus solid innings. But he was taken out in the sixth as he topeed 107 pitches. The Cubs, although they weren't able to do much against him, did manage to work the count effectively.

The D'backs player of the game was undoubtedly Troy Glaus, who homered, tripled, and doubled in three RBIs and was just a single short of the cycle. The D'backs "G-Force", consisting of Luis Gonzales, Troy Glaus, and Shawn Green, combined to go 5-7 with four RBIs.

The three lone runs for the Cubs came on a Michael Barrett home run in the seventh inning.

Winning Pitcher: Brandon Webb (1-0)
    Losing Pitcher: Ryan Dempster (0-1)

4/5 - CHC @ ARI
    Todd Hollandsworth put the Cubs ahead in the second inning by connecting for his first home run of the year - a three run job that landed in the pool. The cubs added another run in the eighth courtesy of a Nomar Gaciaparra ground out which scored Corey Patterson. Unfortunately, four runs were not enough today.

I was surfing through the D'backs site and it said that Luis Gonzales first two career home runs came off Greg Maddux. He continued his rare dominance of the Maddog today as he connected for two more home runs, making that a total of nine home runs in his career against Maddux. Most by any player in the Majors.

Craig Counsell and Russ Ortiz both singled in RBIs in the fifth to put the D'backs total at five. They then managed to stop a few Cub attempts at a comback and held on for the victory.

Winning Pitcher: Russ Ortiz (1-0)
    Losing Pitcher: Greg Maddux (0-1)

4/14 - CHC @ ARI
    The Cubs opened up their 2005 season in record braking style. The cubs offense racked in 23 hits and 16 runs, a team record.

Derek Lee and Aramis Ramirez were just two of the contributors today, Lee driving in five runs and Aramis four, each of them hitting their first home runs of the season.

Carlos Zambrano himself had a double in the fifth. The spirited youngster went 4 and 2/3 innings, giving up three runs on swven hits and walking four, striking out eight. But he was pulled before he had a chance to qualify for the win. As he was heading for the dugout, Carlos got tossed from the game by home plate umpire Dale Scott.

"I just told [Scott] that he needed glasses and he tossed me out," Zambrano said. (Credit to: Cubs.Com)

Javier Vaquez, one of the D'backs most expensive off season acquisitions, was pulled after just 1 and 2/3 innings, allowing seven runs on ten hits.

Winning Pitcher: Glendon Rusch (1-0)
    Losing Pitcher: Javier Vazquez (0-1)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  11. Desmonthesis Musical Magistrate

I was at opening afternoon at Fenway this year. I must say, it was nice to win at home on opening day this time around ^_^

I like this thread; I'll keep people updated on the Sox, if you watch the Cubs. I'm hoping for a Sox/Cubs series this year - with the Sox winning again, of course =P

12. Various Styles Member

Lucky you!
    I've never been to Fenway, I'm hoping to be able to reserve some post season tickets once they become available so I can go see the sox in the playoffs.

Ah, you have good taste.

Fortunately, you wont have until the World Series to watch a Cubs vs Sox series. They're meeting in Wrigley June 10-12 for Inter League play. :)

Since by the time they play I'll be three weeks into my summer vacation I'm hoping to be able to score some tickets and go to Chicago. But it'll cost me a pretty penny. The Sox coming to Wrigley is a huge deal so they're raising ticket prices for those games. I'm looking to get a total of nine bleacher tickets, and while they normally charge $28 for bleacher tickets they've raised the price to $38 for this series. Which brings the total to...*tries to add in his head*....*gets calculator*...$342.

But It's a small price to pay to watch my two favorite teams play against each other for the first time since the 1918 World Series.

13. Wayz New Member

Lucky you. I'm going to the game tomorrow against Baltimore Wakefield is pitching, so it should be good. :)

14. TiRMcDoHL Keeper of the Souleater Rune

I'm gonna have to disagree and say the Tigers are going to be a force in the AL Central.

15. Various Styles Member

Interesting choice to say the least. True the Tigers are much improved this season, but they still have gaps to fill.

For the most part, their starting pitchers are not going to shut down a lot of people. Bonderman does have the potential to be an ace and a possible 15+ game winner. Ugeth Urbina and Troy Percival are two reliable, proven closers. Yes Ugeth has blown two saves this year but he wont be struggling for much longer. Also, once Kyle Farnsworth can finally learn how to throw strikes consistantly, he'll be a premier set up man.

As for their hitting, they could use some improvement in that field. They're very nicely set at the DH position with Rondell White and Dimitri young and at Catcher with Ivan Gonzales. However, the rest of the line up doesn't exactly srike fear in the hearts of pitchers.

I'm thinking the Tigers are good for 70 wins this season.

16. Meijin Smile

Seattle Mariners all the way! ICHIRO!

17. Various Styles Member

ICHIRO!

One of my favorite players, without a doubt. Don't know about the rest of his team mates though.

In my opinion the Mariners do have the talent to compete in the AL East, but only if their starting pitchers can pitch well.

Besides Jamie Moyer, their starting rotation has had a lot of trouble getting people out.

Their bullpen, however, has really surprised me. So much in fact, that I wish I could take some of your guys and give them to my beloved Cubs, whose bullpen, to put it nicely, sucks. Guardado, Hasegawa, Putz, and Villone have all pitched excellent so far.

There are a few questions in their lineup, too. You know Ichiro is going to hit well over .300 and have 200+ hits, so there's no reason to worry about him. But Adrien Beltre is making the dreaded NL to AL transition, and right now he's not hitting very well so there may be cause for concern there. Richie Sexson is a special case. He's batting in the .240s, but hes on base percentage is like .370. I guess that's thanks in part to his 15 walks and six home runs. Those are the three guys the Mariners need to step up and carry this team because frankly, the rest of the lineup stinks.

18. chunks pimpled and angry

the players are dropping like flies with injuries... Schilling, Wells, and now Damon and Ramierez. Too bad the Yankees aren't able to take advantage of it.

19. Shuzer Naruto Fan #7070

Nice picks! But who'd have thunk my White Sox would be the best team in baseball...at least for the time being. Maybe I can try and bring some life back into this thread. Let's talk some baseball! :smile-big

20. Twizted Rest in the deep

*ahem* here come the Yankees...

21. Meijin Smile

Hahah, I know what you mean. Also, our infield defensively is HORRIBLE. Beltre can't field for shit. Sexson is ALRIGHT, but not great defensively. Our outfield however, is spectacular defensively. We have 3 very quick guys Winn, Reed, and Ichiro. Have you seen Reed lately in the outfield? This guy catches EVERYTHING that is near him. It's crazy. But yeah, if we had 2 starting pitchers that were as good as Moyer, we could contend. The pitching is just what kills us.

22. Twizted Rest in the deep

^^ I agree. Being a Yankee fan, I miss the days that the Yanks and Mariners was a good classic match up. *Sniff*....Yea, all the M's really need is one or two good pitchers and the team could be competitive. The problem is that your GM spends money like a conservative accountant. That is, theres no way in hell he goes after a good starter. In fact the looming firesale of half your team could be a tad of a problem. No more Boone, and I would guess that anytime now you will see 3 or 4 more names leaving Seattle. Names like Winn, Franklin, Reed, and Meche are all possibly trade bait. It's too bad because you guys are the class of the Division. I can't stand the Angels....

P.S. 300 Posts!!!!! :dance

23. Meijin Smile

I think Seattle would do alot to keep Reed, since he's such a promising player. I miss 3, 4 years ago. When the Mariners used to win 100-110 games every year. I think the downfall started after Edgar left.

24. Twizted Rest in the deep

Yea Edgar was the franchise, tho I think the decline came a little sooner. You'd be surprised just how much a good manager is needed. Piniella meant more to that team than just being a great manager. The players got up and PLAYED for him. I think when he was traded for Winn, that was the decline.

25. Naruyamcha Banned

Anybody watching the Home Run Derby tonite???
    I wonder how will Comerica Park hold the fly-balls.

And how the hell does Andruw Jones get to represent the Netherlands on the HR Derby??
    Or is it that Curacao is Dutch territory??

26. Kucheeky Badkuya ->-

I kinda gave up on the Derby hasn't really showed much enjoyment.

27. Twizted Rest in the deep

I'm watching it. Comerica is going to be extremely tough to hit it out of for some of these guys Choi and Rodriguez, but Ortiz and Teixiera shouldn't have too much trouble.

And Yes, Curacao is a province of the Netherlands much like Guam is a territory of the U.S.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  28. Naruyamcha Banned

I still don't know why did MLB award Pittsburgh with the 2006 All-Star Game, since they hosted it in freaking 1994!! :cussing

New York hasn't hosted an All-Star classic since Yankee Stadium was guest of the 1977 game.

Then again, you never know that New York might host the 2009 and 2010 Mid-Summer classics, due to having new ballparks for both the Mets and Yankees.

Damn you, Pittsburgh :rant

29. Twizted Rest in the deep

Are you a Yankee Fan??:) Anyway, Pit. is hosting it because they got a new ballpark. Bud Selig and Co. choose the sites based on the facilities, and they do so for newer parks that are more suited for the all star game. I'm sure that the mets and Yanks will get the all star game within a few years after getting their new parks completed.

30. Naruyamcha Banned

No wonder the NL will host back-to-back All-Star Games in 2006 (PITT) and 2007 (SF).
    Just hopes New York will host the games in 2009 and 2010, or back-to-back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.