1. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Santi would like to notify you guys about The Alley Banner Contest
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We invite you to join two banner contests in  New Leaf and Naruto Battledome.

Dismiss Notice

Official UFC/General MMA Discussion v3.0 - Part 2

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by Reznor, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Reznor Well-Known Member Administrator

<b>Test</b>
    This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Tags:
  2. Reznor Well-Known Member Administrator

<b>Test</b>
    This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

3. Stringer ∟ v a l i a n t

Canada
    after this post, yes

4. Stringer ∟ v a l i a n t

Canada
    damn, Wonderboy vs Rory Macdonald is such an exciting matchup

I feel like buying tickets to go see that fight live since it's taking place here in canada

if I'm able to secure a day off from work I'm def going

5. Grimmjowsensei True Hokage

I rewatched the Conor fight. I still think Conor had the capability of beating Nate, he simply executed the wrong game plan.
    He tried to stand and bang with a bigger guy with a longer reach. And ridiculous durability. Man.. Conor landed like 4 or 5 big shots in round 2, and I am pretty sure those shots would wobble guys around his size, if not just outright drop them. Nate ate them, and came at him like they did absolutely nothing. Now I a truly realize why people thought Nate was a terrible match up against Conor. I thought it was the reach, but it was also the durability.

Conor has superior movement and agility and kicks. Instead of trying to overpower the guy like he was trying to prove something, he should have approached the fight like RDA did. RDA butchered Nate's body and legs with kicks. He charged in with hands high and kicked him through the whole fight. Nate couldn't counter attack because RDA's hands were always protecting himself and the kicks took their toll on Nate, he could hardly stand @ times.

If Conor can recover from this, I think he is smart enough to realize his errors and work on those and become even better. Or there is always a chance that he just can't deal with the pressure, crumbles and stagnates. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt tho.

6. Seiko Mouse

White: Diaz made so much money we might never see him again

Sure Dana. We believe you

7. Kuya God of the 5th Dimension

UFC is in better position today because of last night.

Miesha winning means that division now has 3 stars to build around.

Diaz winning brightens his star ten fold. Casual fans don't know him. UFC can make a lot of money with Diaz now and hopefully Nick as well.

Dana should be happy. Ronda will also get her belt back and defend against Holly again which is a huge money match.

8. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

9. Roronoa Zoro Demon King

Dos Anjos vs Diaz II
    Lawler vs Condit II

All on UFC 200. What do you guys think? :cat

Final Prediction:

McGregor vs Diaz II
    Tate vs Holm II
    Lawler vs Condit II
    Velasquez vs Browne
    Mousasi vs Brunson

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  10. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

11. Grimmjowsensei True Hokage

I'd vacant the featherweight belt If I was Conor and focus on 155.

Aldo vs Edgar for the belt @ 200.

Conor vs Dos Anjos

Miesha vs Ronda 2

Lawler vs Diaz

12. Yoko Grey Warden

It'd be Miesha vs. Ronda 3, not 2. They fought once in Strikeforce and again in UFC - this would be the third time. I'd prefer a Holly vs Ronda 2 instead, with the winner having a shot at the belt. Both recently dethroned champs, both have equal right at a title shot. Also gives us a chance to see if Ronda learned anything from her previous fight with Holly.

I'd like to see Conor fight Edgar, Aldo, and Mendes prior to vacating. Edgar is necessary, else people will throw around ducking accusations forever. Aldo lost fair and square, but such a quick knockout prevented us from seeing how their styles truly interacted. Mendes, IMO, did great and was on the verge of winning against Conor but gassed at the second round. He literally had his arms down and was casually walking away from Conor when he got KO'd - he looked like he'd given up mentally before actually being knocked out. Full camp Mendes would be interesting to see (yes, he got KO'd by Edgar but styles make fights).

IMO Conor shouldn't get a shot at RDA until he defends his 145 at least once and maybe even beats a 155 top contender. Fighting well at one weight doesn't mean he can fight well at all weights, and Saturday night proved this. Getting a free title shot at a different weight class was odd, and I think he should prove himself against at least one other competent 155'er before fighting RDA (Pettis, Cerrone, etc).

Lawler vs. Diaz is weird. Nate doesn't normally fight at 170 and he beat another guy that doesn't normally fight at 170. He didn't fight any 170 top contenders recently either. It'd be interesting, but . . . weird.

13. Roronoa Zoro Demon King

It's just going to be a repeat of the Nick Diaz fight

They're selling wolf tickets :gglife

14. Random Stranger Well-Known Member

I'd rather see Nate vs Lawler at UFC 200 and I honestly think it has a great chance of happening. Nate has become a (bigger) star now, have to go with the momentum. Plus there is already some history there with Nick vs Lawler. Very sellable fight.

I also think Nate has a great chance at winning that fight. Robbie has been in war after war and gets wobbled multiple times in every fight. He is destined to fall sooner or later and I'd rather it be at the hands of Diaz than Woodley. Woodley is a boring and predictable fighter. He is built like Adonis but fights like potato. He will let you back him up against the fence and then try to catch you with a big right hand when you overextend or if that doesnt work he will explode in a takedown or right hand. If that also doesnt work he will just try to survive.

15. Random Stranger Well-Known Member

If both Lawler/Diaz and McGregor/Aldo/Edgar are on UFC 200.

Who do you think headlines?

16. Random Stranger Well-Known Member

Nobody interested in a Diaz/McGregor rematch?

If GSP doesnt return, I think for UFC 200, they should do:

McGregor/Diaz 2

Aldo vs Edgar for interim or vacated belt

Rewatching the fight, I honestly believe McGregor could win that fight handily and redeem himself with a few adjustments. After the Diaz fight he could go for an immediate titleshot at either 145 (if he loses) or 155 (if he wins).

And judging by how succesful UFC 196 was, it is trending as the highest PPV ever, I dont think it is that farfetched to think that they might decide to do it again.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  17. Stringer ∟ v a l i a n t

Canada
    GSP's return bout might be exciting if he goes back to his Karate roots, as opposed to the human blanket style he adopted after his bout with Matt Serra, would hate to see him play it safe especially since he no longer has a belt that he's trying to hold on to

damn, imagine if Conor had won at UFC 196 and they did GSP vs Conor for UFC 200...

the pay per view buys for that would have been ridiculous

that's a tough one

personally I would make Conor headline, despite that loss to Diaz he still has the bigger name right now and would sell the hell out of that card

but there's a wild card,

if GSP also fights at the 200 I could see him being headline, specially if he fights Nate, the last man to defeat McGregor

Firas Zahabi (GSP's coach) is currently pressing the UFC to book a fight between Nate and GSP at UFC 200, Nate also expressed the desire to fight him so we might very well see this too

18. Grimmjowsensei True Hokage

I also think he could have won the fight if he approached it differently.
    Conor was constantly looking for that one punch knock out and when he realized he couldn't get it he simply faded both mentally and physically. Up until that point he was dominating Nate.

Its like, you lose your keys and you tear down your room looking for them everywhere and then you give up, sit down, and all of a sudden you see them. They have been sitting right there in front of you. Conor was fixated on getting a knock out. As Miyamoto Musashi said, Fixation is the way of death. If he pursued another strategy, the knock out opportunity would present itself eventually.

Conor should work on wrestling and mostly kicks so that he has another game plan to fall back on to in stiuations like these.

GSP defeated Nick by using a similar strategy. Dos Anjos did the same thing for Nate.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing Conor fight Nate again @ 200 but I think he won't.

19. Cthulhu-versailles The Luckiest Man in Agrabah

Do you mean all the much smaller guys he fights in his "weight class" that half the time look like midgets compared to him? Not impressed. Not knocking Conor as he has athletic ability and faux silva elements, but there is a reason GSP never dared move up. His ego got the better of him and it will be fun to watch him crumble. Aldo has his number next.

20. Grimmjowsensei True Hokage

It is true that Conor had a reach and size advantage in 145, but not everyone in 155 and 170 has Nate's chin and the reach which kept Conor @ the end of his punches and prevented Conor from landing clean shots.

I think 170 is forcing it(at least not before trying out 155) but he definitely should move to 155.

21. Random Stranger Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think people are exaggerating Conor's size greatly. His wide/big shoulders and posture (and possibly his big head as well) make him appear bigger than he actually is.

Conor walks around in the early 170s, that is not unusual or very big for Featherweight, Ricardo Lamas walks around in the late 170s. Cub Swanson walks around at 180 pounds, so did Poirier and Jeremy Stephens. Charles Oliveira is around the 180s if not more as well.

As he is right now, I think Conor's best weight class is FW. He will be too small for LW, the bigger lightweight walk around in the 190s (Ferguson, Khabib, RDA). He should take at least 6-8 months to build muscle and get used to his new body if he wants to compete at LW imo. And even then his first LW opponent should be chosen carefully, maybe a small/mid-sized LW (Pettis, Duffy, Poirier) to get used to the new weight class. Dont pair him up immediately with the big LW (Nate, Ferguson, Khabib, RDA).

22. Grimmjowsensei True Hokage

I've heard people actually say that Conor is a big ass dude. He definitely looked bigger than Poirier at FW. Probably wider than Pettis but slightly shorter. Not as thick as RDA.
    I agree that he should take some time off to adjust to 155, thats why I think he should vacate FW belt, skip 200 and focus on his career in LW. He defeated the best guys @ FW with the exception of Frankie but I don't think thats good enough of a reason to stay @ 145.

Conor should definitely improve his ground game and kicks if he wants @ shot defeating the top 5 of 155 tho. I feel Khabib would just ragdoll him around, grind him and wear him out. RDA would chop his legs and then take him down and either submit him or wrestle the fuck out of him.

23. Roronoa Zoro Demon King

Diaz vs McGregor II
    Velasquez vs Browne
    Mousasi vs Brunson

25. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

26. Roronoa Zoro Demon King

He wanted a rematch with Diaz or a fight with Lawler. Probably a non title 170 bout.

27. Grimmjowsensei True Hokage

Fuck Browne. Mitrione is suing his ass and that refree.

Hope Conor doesn't lose that rematch
    :skully

28. Louis-954 Well-Known Member

29. eHav Well-Known Member

diaz vs mcgreggor is kinda lame. puts a clog in the FW division and keeps Nate out of a possible title shot. but im sure both nate and mcgreggor would rather have that paycheck

30. Grimmjowsensei True Hokage

Yeah and it turns out that referee is a friend with Travis Browne. Matt insists that there is some shady shit going on. You can watch him talk about it here :

[YOUTUBE]BPrY0SaV4x0[/YOUTUBE]

He also signed with Bellator.