1. opcontest
    Vote in the One Piece Fanart Contest!
    The Voting ends on Jul 10, 2020 at 6:13 PM.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alley Banner Contest
    Join the Alley's Thread Festival!
    Make a thread a day from the 1st to the 10th of July.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Official WHY SHOULD I READ THIS?! thread

Discussion in 'Featured Manga of December 2011' started by noobthemusical, Dec 6, 2011.

1. noobthemusical

3. 12hadoooo0

has a slow start at first and seems cliche but it really sets itself apart from other manga.

4. αshɘs

Since this won motm I'm going to start reading it as promised, but you guys need to be more convincing

so, I hear this is supposed to be similar to GTO which I haven't read. What other series can this be compared to?

5. Badalight

It has a certain charm that most mangas have been unable to reproduce for me. The art is simply fantastic. The facial expressions really make you feel for these characters.

The storyline is top notch, and the character development is well... pretty flawless.

It's just plan good story telling.

I'd recommend even if you don't like baseball. For example, I HATE baseball but this is one of my favorite mangas. That should be telling enough at how captivating the story is.

In fact, the baseball sort of takes a backseat to everything else. It's more about the students and their growth and their interaction with Kawato.

6. Blade

The series is almost Slam Dunk level. So good.

7. Badalight

And in my humble opinion, even greater. It's definitely the highest quality manga you're going to be seeing out of shounen jump. It ranks up there with the best of them.

8. Blade

These 2 series are the best sports series. At least for me.

9. Robin

Slam Dunk was good, maybe I should try this one too :hmm

10. p-lou

all the convincing you need

11. Badalight

12. Wrath

Because it's so fucking uplifting. Want to feel like the world is a great place? Like everyone has value, no matter what other people say about them? Like things will always get better? Read Rookies.

13. Robin

well, so far it's definitely good and deserves the motm. It still doesn't get the arms-in-the-pants of Slam Dunk, and it does not explain about Baseball which is the most confusing freaking game ever.

It's awesome. But for me Slam Dunk is a little higher on the ranking.

14. αshɘs

Read the first two volumes today. Very good so far and it's shaping up to be something great.

Is anyone going to make a banner for this section or should I try making one?

15. Blade

If you can make a banner why not. Yeah, give a try.

16. αshɘs

It is quite good.

18. truetomyself

Yeah, nice manga. The characters are very likable and the story is interesting.
    Though i've skipped some panels here and there 'cause i didn't really care about the games.

It's not like GTO at all.
    GTO is amazing, by the way. I would recommend watching the anime rather than reading the manga though. The quality of the scans is awful and the anime is more than satisfying. You can watch the anime and then browse through the manga for the chapters that didn't make it to the anime.

19. αshɘs

good manga. Really good

The games are pretty good too despite Morita not going into detail regarding baseball, and this is a plus.

20. Badalight

Yeah, like I said you don't have to care about baseball to enjoy it. It might actually be less enjoyable for baseball fans.

21. Kuromaku

To start with, I usually don't care for sports manga. I dunno why, but for some reason, reading or watching fictionalized sports just doesn't do it for me all that much.

Which makes it stand out all the more when it is done well.

Prior to reading Rookies for the first time, the last sports manga I had read from start to finish with enthusiasm was Eyeshield 21, which ended its run a few years ago.

So naturally, there was a vacuum in my manga reading list.

E21 had appealed to me because it contained what I considered a great mix of heart, interesting characters, genuinely hilarious comedy, genuinely awesome moments, and because of its over the top nature, managed to make all this work. And this is coming from a guy who's not that into American football.

I've always been a baseball fan, and seeing as Rookies involved it as the sport of show, I figured I might as well give it a shot - a shot being that it had to hook me within the first fifty chapters. And hook me it did.

Like E21, the series contains just the right mix of elements to appeal to me.

Unlike E21 however, the story is a lot more grounded in reality, at least in regards to the game itself, but that's okay because I'm a baseball fan. However, for those uninterested in baseball the focus is clearly on the characters, it's an extremely character driven story. And that works to the series' advantage.

While most series might focus on making baseball look as over the top awesome as possible to appeal to younger or less interested readers, Rookies takes the time to flesh out the characters, and little by little you fall in love with them and their story. It's not about baseball. It's a story of redemption that heavily involves baseball.

And that's why you should at least give Rookies a shot.

P.S. While the story has managed to make me love all the characters, my favorites would have to be Hiratsuka (for obvious reasons), Imaoka (for being so quietly effective and a great straight man to Hiratsuka), and Shinjo.

And Kawato, for all his earnest idealism, manages to stay likeable (even if his enthusiasm occasionally makes him skirt the line of obnoxiousness), a feat that I sometimes find difficult to see in other shonen protagonists.