1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

Official Women's world Cup 2019

Discussion in 'Football' started by Nemesis, Apr 12, 2019.

1. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Basically my argument is that it's OK to give the U-20 World Cup and [U-23] Olympics special names, because the boys who play those can eventually grow up into men that play the main World Cup.

But women footballers never "evolve" into men. And they're not allowed to play in the other World Cup. So for them this is it, the WWC is the high point of their careers.

The names should reflect that the "Men's World Cup" and Women's World Cup are the equivalent top tiers of two non-overlapping career trees.

2. Unicornsilovethem They're so fluffy!

Your first post shows exactly why your second post is wrong.

It isn't called the U-20 World Cup because they will grow up - exactly like how it isn't called the Paralympics because the handicapped people will eventually grow up to become non-handicapped (they don't). They have these names because they are not the main events. Potential to grow up does not factor into the naming.

3. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Handicapped people are a minority of the population, though, whereas women are half.

The men's and women's events should have symmetrical names out of respect for the female athletes. Neither should be officially the "main event".

If unofficially more people prefer to watch the men's one, that's their choice, but FIFA shouldn't encourage viewing women as inferior.

The Olympics got this a long time ago. While more people will watch Usain Bolt than watch Elaine Thompson, their events are officially named "Men's 100 meters" and "Women's 100 meters" in a symmetrical fashion.

4. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Overall individual sports where the men's and women's events are held in the same location at broadly the same time (e.g. track & field, skiing) are faring much better with equal treatment than team sports where the events are on different dates in different locations (e.g. football, ice hockey).

5. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

6. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

The lioness Kosovare Asllani who scored Sweden's first goal.

(Aslan means "lion" in Turkic languages)

7. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

USA dominating their match as expected :murika

8. Unicornsilovethem They're so fluffy!

Also not at all relevant to the naming.

Why? One is insignificant next to the other in terms of viewership. That's all there is to it.

They don't. This has nothing to do with viewing anyone as inferior, it has to do with catering to the demand.

Good for them. Nobody is saying FIFA can't do the same, I'm saying your arguments for why they should do not hold up.

More importantly, it boggles my mind that someone could care about this. You know equality is solved when people resort to complain about non-issues like this.

9. Drake WORK MAKES YOU FREE

13 - 0

:usopp

Admittedly against subpar opposition, but still an amazingly strong start to the tournament.

10. Nemesis The Sith Lord Moderator

By the way the Thai keeper flapped at half the goals it seemed like she'd never played keeper before.

I hope it was just match jitters against maybe the best team there because I don't want the match to haunt her.

11. Mabel Gleeful Mage

12. Mabel Gleeful Mage

13. Mabel Gleeful Mage

Still don't want neither the US nor England to win.

14. Rukia Maximum Security! NVM, lol

The US women are really unlikable. Hopefully someone. Anyone. Kicks their fucking ass and eliminates them!

15. Mabel Gleeful Mage

I change my mind. I want them to win now.

16. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

If you don't care about it then you shouldn't be this upset about someone wanting the names to be symmetrical.

You don't think it would be weird if a sports bar had toilets named "Restroom" and "Women's Restroom", respectively?

Even if the former is more widely used than the latter ('cuz fucking sports bar), it doesn't take that much additional effort to call them "Men's Restroom" and "Women's Restroom".

17. Garcher Admanistrator

didn't they lose against some school boys some years ago

18. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

To progress as an athlete you need to compete against people who are better than you. It's only then that you're challenged to push your limits.

In women's football, since there obviously isn't a better women's national team available inside the country during the off-season, it's relatively common to have them play against one of the junior men's national teams, like the U-20 one or so. If you pick the right age range you can find male opponents who are going to be very challenging for the women's national team but not so superior in endurance and strength that it's a total wipeout.

19. Garcher Admanistrator

I looked it up they lost 5:2 against an U 15 school team

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Konami Yatsa Spouter of gobbledygook

Some sports analyst on CNN was saying it's unsporting to beat a team 13-0. smile-big
    If you get beat 13-0, you needed the baptism.

21. Unicornsilovethem They're so fluffy!

I don't care about "it", but I do care about people saying dumb things about it.

Yes, that would be weird. Try to come up with a better example.

22. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Which is not unusual actually. Same stuff happens all over the place. A few years back (4-5) a co-worker of mine played for the U-14s boy team and they won against one of the better female teams in Norway in a dominating fashion. Like, they played on half machine and had no problems whatsoever.

I also work with a girl who plays football in the second division in Norway. I tried to watch one of their matches but I'll rather watch the 6-7 year old boys play. It's that bad.

I know I shouldn't talk about this because it's 2019 and everything should be equal, but as far as I see it they should take a look at the size of the pitch and maybe the also size of the goals to begin with. It's painfully boring to watch, much because of the pace they play at, and the goals are always a tad too big IMO. With a smaller pitch it'll be pacier, more fun and way, way, way more interesting which will make way more people start watching it as well. Which would absolutely help with everything female football related.

23. Konami Yatsa Spouter of gobbledygook

Never really thought of a smaller pitch/goals and while they are a bunch of technically brilliant players like Marta or Cristiane a smaller pitch /goals might indeed create a more vivid watching experience.

24. Black Otaku

Why is this thread pinned? No one gives a fuck about women’s football :mjlol

25. Saishin Hajimemashite

26. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden vs Thailand in progress now.

27. wooly Eullerex BTW, Izanagi is a ninjutsu; chidori is a nin-taijutsu

There cannot be 5 better goalis in world than Endler for Chile...
    :doge
    U.S. should be at 6 goals at least
    :doge