1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Game One Piece Villains: The Mafia Game

Discussion in 'Mafia' started by Dragon D. Luffy, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Dragon D. Luffy Lord of Calamity Moderator

Also I feel like talking about how I designed this game and why I chose to pick certain chartacters.

At first I wanted to make a Enies Lobby game. It was going to have a map mechanic, but after playing another map game I realized that wasn't compatible with what I wanted to make. Then I realized the only reason I wanted to make it was to make a CP9 faction. I'd already made the strawhats in the Dressrosa game anyway. That's when I came up with villains: why not just add villains from every arc, make a mash-up, and scrap the SHs?

So I came up with an idea for a game where everyone had indie wincons, because that sounded fitting for the villains theme. It didn't last much though, because turns out that's ridiculously hard to balance. I looked at familyparka's Clash of Symphonies game for inspiration and only concluded that such an idea asks for a more bastard game, which was not my goal. I scrapped it, but the Mihawk, Akainu and Hancock roles survived from this idea. There was almost a Blackbeard cult too, but I decided that was too much.

So I decided to make a more straightforward game. No new game mechanics, just write a bunch of powerful roles for fun.

This was heavily inspired in Favorites. That meant having claiming be allowed but who was town and mafia not be obvious. The mafias would be thematic. At first, they had CP9 and Logia themes. Then I realized that was too easy for town to figured out who was in them. I had to make less obvious themes, which led to Hax Ability (those guys with broken DFs that let them beat stronger people from time to time) and Serious Business (just a crew of cold, badass dudes). The two factions were different enough that almost every character could be in either of them, and I consider this to be a huge success since nobody ever figured their themes (though that may be attributed to a lot of players spending the game thinking this was marines vs pirates or some other obvious setup). Lucci survived from the CP9 theme, and Enel, from Logia.

- East Blue: Arlong and Smoker are mandatory. Buggy is also pretty major, and was a perfect fit to be Hancock's target (more on that later). Kuro almost made it, as part of Serious Business, until I started making the town Magellan role and realized the poison woiuld make a great scum role. And Kuro was another brawler, which I didn't mind getting rid of. Don Krieg is kind of meh.

Mihawk is an early role. The sword mechanic only exists because of it, basically, though I tried to make it fun for other players. It does betray my idea to have no new game mechanics but the thing just flowed organically and that was it. If I made it again I'd probably try to have a whole game centered around it though, because there were too few duels in this game (only 3 or 4 I think). Well at least the Mihawk role worked very well, thanks to Katsu's strategy.

- Baroque Works: Croc is mandatory. Mr. 1 was an early addition to SB. Goldenweek was a novelty idea for HA when I realized not all abilities had to be devil fruit ones. Finally, Mr. 3 made it because he was the boss of his own arc, though he was the next one to be scrapped if this game had 36 players instead of 35 (since he's a kind of simple roleblocker role and, well, this game had a lot of those). I considered Mr. 2 for a while but the man is just too decent to put him in a Villains game.

- Drum: Wapol wasn't in the list, but then nova asked for it and I started writing it and loved the role. I removed Spandam to add him, then brought Spandam back when I removed Kuro.

- Jaya: Bellamy could have made it. But Dressrosa had a Bellamy role and it kind of sucked. So he didn't. Well, at least it gave us the Blind Bellamy claim by Alwaysmind lol.

- Skypiea. Enel is a given. I wanted another priest because this arc is good so I wanted to pay respects for it. At first it would be Gedatsu. He's the funniest and most popular. But his skillset is meh. He flies, and he shoots clouds. It's a fancy brawler, I can do better. Ohm has a giant kung-fu dog and a bunch of sword transformations. That gave me a doctor role with a fancy bonus and a lot of sword one-shots. As for Gedatsu, I ended up making a role for him when Cooler had to fake the write-up. The Ohm one is still better, though.

- Davy Back Fight: Foxy is the poster child of HA Mafia. I mean, he's the ultimate cheater. I never considered not having him. Some villains are just silly, and that works. And now he's confirmed stronger than Kaidou, lol.

- CP9: my favorite arc, my favorite villain group, which explains why I made 5 of those (including Blueno). The original game would have a CP9 faction bonus with rokushiki abilities that could be used by all members. The CP9 faction didn't make it, but I thought hey, why can't a mason group have a faction bonus? Jyabura and Kaku are the realization of that Enies Lobby game that didn't happen. Lucci is a one-man version of it. Spandam is in there because I love the guy and the Buster Call ability was dope.

- Thriller Bark: Moriah is a given. Kuma is a given. Moriah had trouble being different from Big Mom, but in the end I made it work by having one by about roleblocking and the other vote power. Kuma is just the fun complex role that I like to make. He can send people to other places, so why not reflect that on the player list? More on that later.

Perona is a solid character with a vgreat skillset. Was going to be town but I sent her to HA Mafia when I realized I needed another swordsman in town, and that Foxy was a swordsman too, so Shilliew left HA to join Town. Oars is a great character, but he's such a pure brawler it was hard to justify not cutting his role when I had to reduce the player count. Absalom is not in the game because he sucks the the only cool thing about him is the invisibility which, as you can see, went to Shilliew. The rest are meh.

- Saobody/Amazon/Impel Down: I considered adding Sentoumaru for a few seconds, but that's it. Impel Down has one amazing villain (Magellan) and a bunch of meh ones.

Hancock... this is an old role. It is based on a concept for a Punisher role from an MCU game I've never made. Originally one idea was to give it to Superman and put Marco at that final square. But Marco has quit and those are new times with new memes. As for Buggy, it flowed naturally when I realized the target needed to be an indie (or he would die too easily) and that he was perfect for a guy who killed Luffy as a fluke and is now hiding.

Also fun fact: nobody in Hancock's chat is a swordsman. Made this way so it wouldn't overlap with Mihawk's kills. It would make it easier to nail it down if iwandesu noticed that. The chart had every non-swordsman, minus the 2 godfathers, Akainu, and one random townie (T.D.A).

- Marineford: I'm putting the admirals here. Aokiji, Kizaru, Akainu and Fujitora are mandatory (damn Oda show Ryokugyu already). It was fun giving them different alignments. Aokiji is a serious dude who wants to improve the world by force, Kizaru just wants to troll, Akainu is mad that this game exists and wants to end it, and Fuji is a decent dude who can get along with the rest to figure out the best solution. Finally, Sengoku wasn't mandatory, but then I made him the cop and now I wouldn't remove that easily.

- Blackbeard Pirates: BB is mandatory and made for a fun little role (with an hilarious play by Ishmael). His crew is a mix of badass guys with little known powers. Well, Shilliew is well known enough and people like him. Two is enough for that crew.

- Fishman Island: I like this arc but the vllains are meh. Well, Hody was the main one, and I warmed up to him once I realized he had synergy with Arlong.

Time to talk about the "blue lines" mechanic here. I realized Crocodile could use the same mechanic as Arlong/Hody, and then I realized the whole thing could be integreated with Kuma and Kizaru's movement, as well as AoE attacks like Akainu, and before I knew there was a new mechanic going on. It confused a lot of players, but it was fun. I might make a whole game with just roles that interact with the player list as if it was a thing.

FInally, VDD is meh, but his power is fun. VDD himself was too meh to resist the cuts, though.

- Punk Hazard/Dressrosa: I had already made a Dressrosa game. It had every member of the Donquixote Family that appears in the arc, aside from some lame ones. But Vergo and Monet were snubbed. Now, I don't want to remake old roles, so time to make Vergo and Monet instead, as well as Caesar Clown who has his own arc. Dofla was mandatory, so I had to try my hand at a town Dofla as to at least do a different alignment this time. In the end I had the idea for the Joker ability which ended up having quite an effect in the game. Also added a stealth refrerence to Favs.

Poor Vergo was snubbed again though, but there's only so much a guy whose power is "get hard" can do I guess.

- Whole Cake Island: Big Mom and Katakuri are in, no contest. Big Mom was one of my early roles, I loved the idea of creating a homie army. Now, why Tamago?

Because Tamago rules, that why. Reread WCI, the guy is everywhere, running things and just being more competent than everyone else except mybe Katakuri. And his power gave me a really cool role. As for the other commanders, Cracker might have made it if I needed a 4th member, I guess (he ended up as iwandesu's safe claim). And Smoothie sucks. The non-commanders don't have more right to be here than Tamago.

- Zou/Wano: At first it was going to be Jack and not Kaidou. Jack had an arc for himself, after all. But let me tell you something, Jack's current skillset is even worse than Gedatsu's. He has swords shaped like tusks, and can turn into a mammoth. Insert boring roleblock/kill combination here. As for Kaidou, we know very little about his powers, but I decided to try anyway, because it's fucking Kaidou, man. What we know is that he's immortal and can turn into a dragon. Hey, the night lyncher role is still unfilled. Hey, an unlynchable townie isn't that OP and fits with him. Done.

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • List
  2. Platinum Dastard

My shock level that cooler was mafia:

-273.15c

But good on you guys for winning. Town lost all hope the moment they betrayed me :catsad.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  3. Kobe █▄█▄█ █ █▀█

@Dragon D. Luffy

I legit thought there was a Pudding in the game when Lawrence's false claim got exposed. It would have been cool to incorporate her role in the game.

4. RemChu † No More Heroes †

5. RemChu † No More Heroes †

Ah of course purple mafia won. GG.

6. RemChu † No More Heroes †

Nice that the person I buffed last until the end for town. :naruramen

7. RemChu † No More Heroes †

@Stelios ?

Remchu transfers nfcnorth's pain to Kobe (transfers el thor, no effect since kobe has no abilities, boots nfc's VP by 1)
    Remchu moves to Katsu's position
    Stelios silences Remchu (fails cuz movement)

:blobvilla

8. Stelios Life is a dream

:kaga