1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

One Year of Employment!

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by DemonDragonJ, Dec 2, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Agnus Dei

I have now been working at my current technical support job for an entire year (I started in December of 2017, and I also previously worked at that company from July 2015 to March 2016), which marks the first time that I have worked at a job, other than my restaurant job, for such a duration.

This is without any question the best job that I have ever had, and, while it still is not permanent, if shows no signs of ending at any time, soon, so I am very hopeful that it shall eventually become permanent, which would be nice, since I have recently been searching for houses for sale near where I live and also am hoping to upgrade my relationship with my girlfriend.

What does everyone else say about this? Have you recently celebrated any job-related milestones?

Tags:
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. Moritsune Jack Hammer

Congratulations! I would recommend holding off on buying a house unless you know you will be on your current area for several years and have saved enough money for the down payment, and understand the maintenance costs associated with owning a home that you would be responsible for.

I just passed my 5 year point at my current company. Prior to that I was in the military for 6, so I'm on track to be with these guys at least that long. I also bought a house back in May, after having lost about 40k on my previous house when I moved out to my current location back in 2016.

3. DemonDragonJ Agnus Dei

There currently are not one, but two houses for sale on the very same street where I currently live, one for $287,500 and the other for $249,969, which are both very low prices, although I doubt that they shall remain for sale for a sufficient duration for me to save enough money to afford them.

4. Moritsune Jack Hammer

That's quite high for property, do you live in a major city? The average home prices both places I've bought were in the low to mid 100s. I gave 160k for my first house, and after that fiasco I decided to scale back this time and bought a place for 65k, probably closer to 80k with the improvements and work I've done, and its it's still not perfect by any means, but it suits me and my lifestyle.

I suppose the biggest factor for you is if your company pays enough to afford that kind of cost? I make 6 figures in a low cost area and I can't even imagine I'll me what I'd have to make to be able to afford 250-300k comfortably.

5. DemonDragonJ Agnus Dei

My town is certainly not as large as Boston or New York City, but it is not quite a tiny village, either; for where I live, those prices are very low, since the majority of the houses for sale in and near my town range from $300,000 to $500,000 in price.

Currently, I am earning $20 per hour (plus $14 per hour from my restaurant, where I work only one night per week), but I feel that I would need to earn at least $25 per hour before I could reliably afford to purchase my own house.

6. Dark Wanderer Winter's Knight

Good for you, sounds like good money despite not being permanent. I just reached 12 years at my morning job this October, and next month I'm reaching 7 years at my second job .

7. Lord Valgaav Atomic Sables!

Great man, not even gonna make any jokes this time.

I agree with the other guy though, it's not the best of ideas to jump into purchasing a house until you get all the figures together for future repair/up-keep, decide that the neighborhood is a place you want to live in long-term, etc.

8. Moritsune Jack Hammer

Ouch, yeah, I don't think even 25/hr would be enough to afford that without a considerable down payment. I was barely still at a comfortable level paying on my $160k home when I was making less than 30/hr. Do you maybe not own a car? Without the upkeep and car payment, I could see you getting closer to that level, but not all the way there.

9. Jim Well-Known Member

After i worked a year at the same job i didn't think much of it. I'll never be happy working, lol

10. DemonDragonJ Agnus Dei

I cannot live with my parents forever, so I need to have a plan for what I shall do when they either die or decide to move into a smaller hour, whichever happens first.

I own a car, and I paid for its entire price up front, without needing a loan, an achievement of which I am very proud, but I doubt that I shall be able to do the same for a house.

11. Yamato ANBU- Sadist

Argentina
    Good job.

Still saving up for my own place.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. ~M~ Do it for her

Congratulations. My career has been turbulent the past year but I've steadily made more money along the changes I've gone through. I hope your time and investments pay off as well

13. The Gr8 Destroyer You Make It I'll Break It

Cool beans. I myself have been working daily for 26 years full time for about 19 year. I get social security statements already. Anywho. Rent/mortgage should be no more than 30% of your income. For example my mortgage payment is about 15% of mine.

14. Nep Nep Bedpost-Kun

Yeah I sat in the corner for an hour away from the cameras instead of doing any extra cleaning :3