1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Anime Awards for 2017 part 3 commences with genre awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot/Single Volume Manga Recommendation and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by halfhearted, May 24, 2009.

1. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

Since there isn't really an appropriate area to showcase oneshots or single volume manga which don't necessarily warrant their own thread, here is an area for the cataloging and discussion of titles. In other words, anyone can offer their suggestion of a good oneshot or single volume manga, similar to the traditional Recommendations thread; these titles will be organized in alphabetical order and added to the first post, including a small description in the form of the title, mangaka, genre and summary. While not serving as a platform for recs, conversation concerning any of the manga can take place within the thread.

No real structure is needed for recommendations, but I ask that anyone proposing more than one title place each manga in separate posts. This will likely lead to double/triple posting, which will be perfectly acceptable so long as it doesn't become a breeding ground for postwhoring. In the end, it will help draw more attention to your specific recommendations and make it less likely that your title gets missed being added to the front post.

Eventually, I'd love for this thread to start centering its discussion around a specific title each week in the form of oneshot/short manga reading club. And, I'd also like to hear other suggestions anyone might have for the promotion of such titles or how this thread could be used as a springboard for other events.

================================================

Oneshots (#-Z)

#

A

Spoiler: Adventure Boys
    Title: Bouken Shounen (Adventure Boys)
    Mangaka: Mitsuru Adachi
    Genres: Drama, Time-travel.
    Length: Seven chapters, condensed into one volume.
    Download Link: Mediafire

Summary:
    Recommendation Post(s): X

Spoiler: Apple
    Title: Apple
    Mangaka: Komi Naoshi
    Genres: Shonen, Supernatural, Sci-fi
    Length: Sneshot
    Read it at: Onemanga

Synopsis
    Aramiya Satoshi, the ultimate creation of nature, known as the apple, can defy physics, change form, and grow plants out of his body. He is also an easy going guy who lives in solidarity and is hunted daily by the military for his powers. Little does he know of his undeniable role to save the world.

B

Spoiler: Because Goodbyes Are Coming Soon
    Title: Because Goodbyes Are Coming Soon
    Mangaka: Yukimura Makoto
    Genres: Action, Historical, Seinen, Tragedy
    Length: Oneshot
    Online Reader: Mangafox

Summary:

Follow the final moments of a shinsengumi first squadron captain, Okita Soji, as the author tells his version of the story.

Spoiler: Bradherley's Coach
    Title: Bradherley's Coach
    Mangaka: Samura Hiroaki
    Genres: Adult, Drama, Historical, Horror, Mature, Seinen, Tragedy
    Length: One volume
    Summary:

C

D

Spoiler: Domu
    Title: Domu
    Mangaka: Otomo Katsuhiro
    Genres: Horror, Seinen, Supernatural
    Length: One volume (6 chapters)

Summary:

E

Spoiler: Emerald
    Title: Emerald
    Genres: Action, Adventure, Historical, Seinen
    Summary:

F

G

H

Spoiler: Half and Half
    Title: Half and Half
    Mangaka: Seo Kouji
    Genres: one shot, romance, supernatural
    Length: one shot
    Online reader: One Manga

Summary:

Shinichi Nagakawa and Yuuki Sanada are both involved in an accident and die together. But they're given a chance to live again. God lets them live for 7 more days. But the catch is that after the time limit, one of them must die again.

There's more. God decrees that their lives will be shared, including emotions (guilt) and physical sensations (pain). They are told not to leave the other's side, else both of them die. What will happen during those 7 days?...

Spoiler: Hotel
    Title: HOTEL
    Mangaka: Boichi
    Genres: Drama, Sci-fi, Seinen, Tragedy

Summary:

It is the year 2272 A.D.

A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle.

I

Spoiler: Island
    Title: Island
    Genres: Adventure, Drama, Sci-fi, Shounen, Slice Of Life
    Online Reader: Onemanga, Mangafox

Summary:

A story that takes place on the day Aira turned 14, and learned the devastating truth about the island she lives on, which is completely surrounded by a huge wall...

Tags:
  2. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

J

Spoiler: Jump Super Stars

Title: Jump Super Stars
    Mangaka: N/A
    Genres: Shounen

Summary:

Kobayakawa Sena (Eyeshield 21) meets Monkey D Luffy (One Piece), Naruto, Son Goku (Dragonball), Aya Toujou (Echigo 100%), and Bobobo (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo) in this short adventure that serves as an advertisement for the game with the same name.

K

Spoiler: Kare no Satsujin Keikaku
    Title: Kare no Satsujin Keikaku (His Murder Scheme)
    Mangaka: Mohiro Kitoh (mangaka of Bokurano, Narutaru, and others)
    Genres: Mature, Psychological, Slice of Life (kind of)
    Length: Oneshot chapter
    Download/Read Online: Mangahelpers

Summary:

Yasuhiro Takagi, a normal high school sophomore, decides to kill a person for no reason. Follow his psyche as he ponders about his murder plan. What kind of person should be the victim? How should the plan unfold?

Spoiler: Koi no Kamisama
    Title: Koi no Kamisama
    Mangaka: komi naoshi
    Genres: romance, shonen
    Length: oneshot
    Read it at: onemanga

Synopsis:

a boy falls in love with a girl. Watch as he wages a battle against god in order to take the girl's heart. another lighthearted read, a delightful fable about strength and courage.

Recommendation Post(s):

L

M

Spoiler: Madofuki Park
    Title: Madofuki Park
    Mangaka: Murata Yusuke
    Genres: Comedy, Sci-fi, Shounen
    Online Reader: Onemanga

Summary:

The story is set in the year 2050, in a place called Sky City Tokyo. The main character, Park, is a window cleaner. If you've ever experienced those street windshield washers that descend upon your car when you stop at a red light, you can imagine what Park does for a living. Except worse, because in Sky City Tokyo, the cars travel in mid-air! How does a window cleaner become a hero? Read and find out!

Spoiler: Metropolis
    Title: Metropolis
    Mangaka: Kuroda Iou
    Genres: Mecha, Sci-fi, Seinen
    Download Link:

Summary:

N

Spoiler: Nijigahara Holograph

Title: Nijigahara Holograph
    Mangaka: Asano Inio
    Genres: Drama, Mature, Seinen, Psychological, Tragedy
    Length:
    One volume
    Download Link: Mediafire Megaupload
    Summary:

O

Spoiler: Ohikkoshi
    Title: Ohikkoshi
    Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Seinen
    Summary:

P

Q

R

S

Spoiler: Shuna no Tabi
    Title: Shuna no Tabi
    Mangaka: Hayao Miyazaki
    Genres: Adventure
    Length: One volume (6 chapters)

Summary:

Spoiler: Skull Man
    Title: Skull Man
    Mangaka: Ishinomori Shotaro
    Genres: Action, Drama, Horror, Psychological, Shounen

Summary:

In the loom of the Cold War shrouding Japan, mysterious murders have been reported in the country. The suspect is a man with a skull-like helmet while being dressed in black with a cape of the same color. Accompanied by a shape shifting beast named Garo, the duo terrify Japanese society without a clear reason why.

T

Spoiler: The Lives of Eccentrics

Title:
    The Lives of Eccentrics
    Mangaka: Araki Hirohiko
    Genres: Drama, Historical, Mature, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Seinen
    Download Links: Mediafire

Summary: Explores the lives of the famous yet not famous people that lived in our world--such as Nikola Tesla, Typhoid Mary, the woman behind the Winchester Mystery House, Kou Yoshio, and much much more.

U

V

X

3. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

Spoiler: White Clouds

Title: White Clouds
    Mangaka: Hisae Iwaoka
    Genres: Drama, Seinen
    Online Reader: Onemanga

Summary:

Told from a rather unusual perspective, award-winning White Clouds is a beautiful and touching story about life, death and the heartening belief that we all will arrive at the same place when our time has come.

Y

Z

4. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

Mangaka: Asano Inio
    Genres: Drama, Mature, Seinen, Psychological, Tragedy
    Download Link: Mediafire Megaupload

Summary:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my favorite single volume series and one of the best manga I've read, hence the promotion. It's definitely not a series I would recommend, if you are looking for a lighthearted, easy read; the manga is extremely dense and nonlinear with the method of storytelling tying directly into the brilliant characterization of its personalities. Regardless of the work needed to fully understand the title, it can also be visually stunning in a unique manner with some of the best use of panel space I've seen.

5. p-lou tender like a wombat

Nijigahara Holograph is a great piece. But like you said, it is dense and reading it will exhaust the hell out of you. However, once you start piecing everything together it is incredibly rewarding. It's really something that necessitates multiple reads though. While I was able to enjoy the read and get the most of what happened, I still feel another read or two of it would help wrap my head around everything, because I'm sure there are little things that I missed. That and to just experience how visually stunning the piece is again are enough to make me want to re-read it.

I can think of a few others to mention, but some of them are two or three volumes. I know that's not exactly the same, but structurally they are close and I know at least one was reprinted in a single book.

6. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

That's one of the main reasons I admire it, as well. A lot of psychological series are dense for the sake of being dense, and the impact on the reader is momentary due to the lack of any real resolution. With Nijigahara Holograph, one has to piece together an incredibly complex and difficult emotional puzzle, but the resulting picture has the potential to stay with you long after the last gap in logic has been filled.

Definitely. More than anything else, I think it shows what a master of visual storytelling Asano Inio is. The way he times his frames and text guides the reader in a way that you rarely see. And, everything is so vivid and real. Not in the sense that the drawings accurately mimic the human form on a photographic level or the event themselves being real, but there's a dimension to every image that causes it to feel truly tangible. For example, I would have a hard time naming a series where I was more struck by the honesty and depth of emotion in the expressions used by characters.

Also, I liked how it didn't shrink away from the darkness of the human mind, but it didn't revel in it either. You didn't have to sift through gratuitous sex and violence to figure out why they were important, so much as their importance framed their presence from the beginning as the acts explored and attempted to explain that importance. This isn't to say I can't appreciate series where sifting is necessary (one of my favorite currently running series is Freesia, after all), but I do admire the fact that NH rises above.
    Go ahead and recommend them, if you would like. Originally, I had thought of making this just a short volume recommendation thread but feared it would end up consisting entirely of 4+ volume titles which might as well have their own discussion thread in the main area. Although, I'd like to continue centering around really condensed works, a few longer ones every once in awhile isn't going to hurt anything.

7. p-lou tender like a wombat

Agreed. And this is what makes it tricky to recommend to people. It takes effort and time to not only fully understand, but to really appreciate the story. But it's seeing the little clues scattered throughout and putting them all together that make this a great read. I think for a lot of people reading manga, that's more effort than they're willing to put in, which is fine. But to read something that forces you to think and get involved is great.

Yeah, and it really shows how Asano has developed as a story teller. In some of his previous works (I'm thinking mostly of Solanin), I thought there were plenty of places where he stuck in some unneeded dialogue. It felt that he wasn't using his art (which I find fabulous) as well as he could have to convey his story, which is a fault I think a lot of manga have. But it never felt that way in NH. Like you said, everything just feels as if it fits together perfectly and nothing really seems out of place.

I understand that worry. But what I had are all essentially a single story like you'd find in a single volume and read in a similar way, just a tad bit longer. I'll probably get to them a little later.

8. Grandmaster Kane Banned

9. Haohmaru The Legendary Samurai

Hiroaki Samura has great one shots if you ask me. Ohikkoshi, Bradherleys Coach (both 1 volume) and Emerald (1 chapter).
    I also hear a lot of good things about Solanin. I started reading it and I'm at chapter 4. So far it's a pretty good slice of life manga. It's 2 volumes long btw.

10. p-lou tender like a wombat

11. p-lou tender like a wombat

It is good and it really struck a chord with me. It's a very appealing story and easy to get in to. But it's far from perfect and no where near as well constructed, thought out, or presented as Nijigahara Holograph.

The English release of it was actually compiled into a single book.

12. The Doctor Work smarter, not harder.

Metropolis
    Domu
    Shuna's Journey

but to write about it all would take too long
    i'll write a little sinopse about them later, one at a time

p-lou if you are willing to write about any of those, it'd be more than welcome.

13. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

Agreed on both accounts. Also, it's appealing to read a manga which, as you said, forces you to think but doesn't come off as pretentious. In my experience, many deeply analytical series can fall into the trap of trying too hard, which Inio rarely does.

I concur. Although, a part of me wonders whether the addition of the dialogue was related to the perspective being portrayed. What I mean to say is that Inio (for obvious reasons) seems comfortable detailing the male mind through images but relies slightly more on dialogue when showing things from a primarily female perspective. Maybe he doesn't feel that he understands the mind of a woman well enough to be able to faithfully relate it without the use of words.

Speaking of his visual style, two other examples of him doing great work with image-based storytelling specifically would definitely be Oyasumi Punpun and What a Wonderful World.

Out of the three, Bradherley's Coach was definitely my favorite with Ohikkoshi following closely behind. Emerald was good, but I felt like it was a lot weaker in its characterization as compared to the other two. Then again, that could be because Emerald is a oneshot in comparison to the volume length of the other two titles; they had more time to develop either their characters and/or the world which frames the characters.

14. p-lou tender like a wombat

That certainly may be the case. But I still find it weird, if your presumption is true, that he does such a great job of putting his characters (male and female alike) in such believable situations and act in such realistic ways that he'd have problems with it. I don't think the extra dialogue or inner monologues take away too much from the story, but it is noticeable, and would be better off with less. I've only read a chapter of Punpun, but I noticed this a little in a few stories in What a Wonderful World, and again it isn't really distracting. Perhaps it's just something he's gotten better at with time.

15. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

If it was related to character gender, then I don't think his use of dialogue would be due to an inability to portray the female mind so much as a symptom of being more comfortable with the male mind. The main reason I brought it up was due to the fact that most of his deeply visual, non-verbal scenes are from the perspective of one of his male characters. While he does use striking imagery in similar ways with his females, it's rare that it isn't supplemented by text in comparison to the males. For example, the woman who is swallowed up by the butterflies has text setting up the experience, whereas the main male has his experience of disappearing or being devoured by a cloud of the insects without text in Nijigahara Holograph.

Considering the two series which are more visual as compared to the two that aren't, perhaps it's related to the level of supernaturalism/abstraction in the stories; it could just be easier for Inio to express his metaphysical ideas through supernatural symbolism.

Or, perhaps, he's just trying different things rather than keeping the same exact balance for all of his works.

16. Grandmaster Kane Banned

Heavy text?

17. p-lou tender like a wombat

It's remembering stuff like this that makes me want to read this again. I may have noticed it when I first read it, but I've since forgotten.

Both of those seem plausible.

That really isn't that long. For a single book yeah, but it general not really. But it is deep and heavy, not so much text wise though.

18. Phoenix Wright :|

Mangaka: Mitsuru Adachi
    Genres: Drama, Time-travel.
    Length: Seven chapters, condensed into one volume.

Summary:
    The masterful storyteller at his very best. Chapter 6, The Stairs of Time is probably my favourite read ever.

You'd probably want to be familiar with his writing style before reading this, though.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  19. p-lou tender like a wombat

Here is a mediafire link for Adventure Boys.

It's something I've been meaning to finish. I've only read the first four stories (the third being my favorite thus far), and being a fan of Adachi, I found reading this a bit surprising. It's just so drastically different from his other stuff, but it retains all the feelings you have reading an Adachi manga. It has that same sense of humor, continuous breaking of the fourth wall, and the characters (while not as well developed or explored as his others for obvious reasons) are all have that same incredibly realistic feeling his other characters have. It's neat.

20. hgfdsahjkl hisoka from HxH is the best

just finished Nijigahara Holograph,I can tell it's genius

but my mind feels like exploding :argh

I need to reread it agiain,actually immediately after rereading the first few pages ,I discovered new stuff,it's like a cycle

is there any place where I can read about theories and explanations for this awesome manga?

still my head is gonna explode :argh

21. Cochise I'm with <b><font color="#ff6600">COCO</font></b>

I love Emerald, shame I did not get to that first. I will be a regular of this thread, no doubt. When I have time tomorrow I will make some proper entries. First few oneshots that come to my mind are Because Goodbyes Are Coming Soon, Island, and Hotel. I want those entries, LoL.

22. Cochise I'm with <b><font color="#ff6600">COCO</font></b>

Genres: Adventure, Drama, Sci-fi, Shounen, Slice Of Life
    Online Reader: Onemanga, Mangafox

Summary:

A story that takes place on the day Aira turned 14, and learned the devastating truth about the island she lives on, which is completely surrounded by a huge wall...

23. Cochise I'm with <b><font color="#ff6600">COCO</font></b>

Mangaka: Yukimura Makoto
    Genres: Action, Historical, Seinen, Tragedy

Summary:

Follow the final moments of a shinsengumi first squadron captain, Okita Soji, as the author tells his version of the story.

24. Cochise I'm with <b><font color="#ff6600">COCO</font></b>

Mangaka: Boichi
    Genres: Drama, Sci-fi, Seinen, Tragedy

Summary:

It is the year 2272 A.D.

A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle.

25. p-lou tender like a wombat

I'm really not that fond of Hotel. I can get over how silly and exaggerated the science it uses is, but emotionally it's just kind of boring and flat. The art is pretty nice, but it gets so cluttered with the narration (which itself is a bit heavy and boring) that it's hard to appreciate. Add in the fact that most of the narration isn't in some kind of speech bubble just makes it worse. I think more could have been done with the art to show this end of the world situation, rather than have some narration tell me about it. It isn't bad, but it's just kinda meh.

I think the part I liked best though was that the creator of the computer (which I'm pretty sure is intentional) looks like Hayao Miyazaki.

26. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

Read Shuna no Tabi for the first time earlier today.

As should probably have been expected, the art was great. More than anything, I loved the feeling of movement to all of the images. Miyazaki is obsessed with nature and natural symbolism, which can sometimes become overbearing. But, it also spurs him to create these great environments in his stories with their own unique climates, conditions, etc. And, it can really set up a wonderful tableau for his characters and story to come to life within.

With that said, his story was decent in the traditional fable sense, and I enjoyed the way the narrative was laid out. But, I wasn't really drawn to or engaged by the characters, beyond that traditional frame; I liked the feeling that one was witnessing a real, integrated cultural group, yet I remained uninterested in their individual goals. And, I would have greatly appreciated more than a nod to the added supernaturalism.

All in all, it was a good read, but not one I would probably actively recommend to others unless they were looking for something like it specifically or were asking about well-drawn, short manga.

I felt similarly. Although, I was actually able to accept the emotion as being boring and flat due to where it was originally coming from. My main issue was in how heavy-handed it was portrayed. Rather than being able to experience the oneshot, I felt as though the mangaka had already laden it with all of these average, preconceived responses we should be having to the events, which made the story come off as melodramatic and a bit pompous. That style of storytelling can work really well (i.e. Alfred Hitchcock films), but it just wasn't done well enough for me in this case.

27. Haohmaru The Legendary Samurai

Yeah, I agree. It's way too short to develop the characters. Though I think what the writer tried to do is make an interesting story. He definitely succeeded imo. For a 1 chapter manga it's definitely well written.

BTW does anyone have page 162 for Adventure Boys [MangaScreener&MangaDownloads]. File was corrupted.

28. p-lou tender like a wombat

29. Cochise I'm with <b><font color="#ff6600">COCO</font></b>

I liked it, granted it's been awhile since I've read it. It was highly exaggerated, but considering it was trying to relay a message that culture needs to change, I didn't view that as a negative.

The story was being told through a robot. The flatness almost made it more believable. That said the mangaka did do a decent job of giving the robot some human aspect. It may have just been the day I read it, but I did get a little choked up when he belted out It's a Wonderful World. It was also nice to have a story about a robot being a savior of humanity instead of a destroyer. Although that's not so much uncommon in Japan.

I thought HOTEL had heart, and was a good try. The themes it played on, global warming, friendship, and loyalty, were all decently expressed. I recommend it, if only for a quick read when one has little to do.

30. p-lou tender like a wombat

I really enjoyed this piece. I really liked the storybook style it had and the images were all very pretty and flowed really well together. But it's all pretty standard Miyazaki fare, from the overall aesthetic, the the nature themes, to the characters and story. There's nothing really ground breaking. When dealing with Miyazaki, you should expect really overbearing environmentalism and general save nature type themes. Maybe it's because the brevity of the story, but it didn't seem quite as heavy handed and in your face as some of his other stuff (I'm thinking mostly of his films here). And while I agree that the characters and story aren't particularly engaging or enthralling, they don't really need to be.

agreed

All the themes and ideas it had were all so cookie cutter generic though. They weren't really bad, but they were played so straight and heavy that it's hard to really enjoy. The same can be said of the cold distant computer narration. All of it just goes so straight that, as hh pointed out, it feels as if you're being pushed into set of just as generic responses instead of being able to actually experience it.