1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Come join the RP Section for the monthly world (universe?) creation contest. This month's theme is space opera.

So charge the hyperdrive, power up the plasma cannons, and set sail for new worlds!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the NF Awards! Nominate your favorite posters!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the latest Newsletter!

Click here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The future of the Cafe Subsections is up to you. Vote here to make your voice heard!"

Click here
    Dismiss Notice

OPBD Tournament: Katakuri vs Jozu

Discussion in 'One Piece Battledome' started by Marcelle.B, May 15, 2018.

1. Marcelle.B Super Moderator

@Sherlōck
    @Tenma
    @Amol
    @Tale
    @Samehadaman
    @Pocalypse
    @Extravlad
    @Gohara
    @B Rabbit
    @Big Mom
    @MO
    @Bernkastel
    @Typhon
    @charles101
    @Edward Teach
    @Amatérasu’s Son
    @GrizzlyClaws
    @NOX
    @Marik Swift
    @Kinjin
    @Milkydean
    @Shrike
    @Heart Over Blade
    Rules

1. Anyone not on the list can't reply.

2. I'm changing the time limit a bit for the first round matches since some will be very obvious winners. So if there's 10 or more votes for the winners then I'll shut it down and move on. Then in the second round I'll switch it back to 3 days.

3. Behave.

Marineford
    40m
    both serious

Tags:
  2. Samehadaman Well-Known Member

Portugal
    This should be good. :bury

I mean i think most people will go Katakuri for obvious reasons but Jozu is a bad matchup for him in my opinion. Katakuri's weakness (or rather, not one of his strengths) was lethality - he spent a lot of time trashing Luffy without enough damage output to end it, and Jozu is one of the manga's best tanks.

Need to think.

3. Big Mom The Sweet Tooth Yonkou

While I think Katakuri is stronger, I don't necessarily know how Katakuri will put Jozu down for good.

4. Amol Chief of Wisdom

With High diff.
    That has more to do with the fact that Luffy has blunt force damage immunity. Katakuri has lethality just fine.
    Not to mention you would have to prove that Jozu's durability and endurance is above that off Luffy.
    The way i see current Luffy outclasses Jozu is every single stat.

5. Samehadaman Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Howcome I "have to prove" Jozu durability is higher than Luffy, while you get to say "the way I see it" Luffy has better durability?

Not a fan of this trend lately of multiple posters telling me I must prove my opinions (on things that can't be proven either way) while freely giving their own opinions without such restraints.

6. Amol Chief of Wisdom

Katakuri was overpowering G3(which puts him above Town level via Pica Golem smashing) casually. Hell he was matching G4 too. Even weaker version of G4 was ragdolling DD all over the island. And Luffy tanked those attacks. Luffy's durability goes in island+ level when it comes to blunt force damage.
    So Luffy has better durability and endurance feats.
    So surely if you are going to make claim that Katakuri will have trouble with Jozu's durability and endurance when he was beating someone who had on panel better feats then burden of proof lies on you my friend.

7. Milkydean Well-Known Member

Katakuri wins here.Square Mochi is quite strong tbh,it definitely got past Luffy's G4 defenses quite easily.Pretty sure it can do the required damage combined with Diced Mochi.

8. GrizzlyClaws Big Bad Grizzly

I think Katakuris Mogura has enough lethality to put a dent in Jozu. Katakuri will use his trident on opponents that are not the MC.
    But then again I think Jozu can endure even that for quite some time, but will wither eventually.

I think even Jozus base attacks pack a lot of a punch, and even more so for his high end moves (granted we haven't seen them tho) and in physical fights he is obviously at an advantage due to his DF and his own physicality.

But well, there is the obvious elephant in the room; Katakuris CoO. Can Jozu even reliably/consistently damage Katakuri? If he can he can push Katakuri quite far due to the nature of both of their fighting styles/abilities.

While Katakuri is stronger overall, match ups matter and I could see Jozu walking away with a W on a good day. Will give my finale vote some time later, wanna read some more opinions first.

9. Amatérasu’s Son Wakanda Forever

Yeah, this isn't a battle of durability. Jozu can turn to organic diamond and should be expected to have commander level Busoshoku Haki. Diamond vs fluid cornstarch. The base abilities tell the tale there. Doing blunt force damage to Jozu is a losing proposition. His trident isn't going to much here, Jozu tanked a slash from Mihawk I don't think Katakuri is gonna drill through that diamond.

The Kenbunshoku Haki is the real deal here. Katakuri will be heavily relying on this to evade Jozu's attacks and as long as he can he retains the advantage. I don't think he can go twelve rounds blow for blow like he did against Luffy with a diamond man. He was fast enough and his Haki was strong enough to get a solid connection dry against even a top level reflex shape shifter like Crocodile. So I think it would be a case of if he connected more than would he. If he can touch Katakuri I think he's big enough to actually get the hit.

Block Mochi is the trump card. Going blow for blow against Jozu diamond vs hard mochi. Or will Jozu be unable to even connect against the Charlotte Family's finest? I'm seeing a stalemate.

I give the edge to Jozu though.

10. charles101 Well-Known Member

Katakuri doesn't have to break through Jozu's CoA if you don't believe he can do so. He can just use Awakening and drown him in Mochi.

11. Gohara Ryutoshi

Lord Katakuri wins in my opinion not just because he obviously has superior portrayal also because he can seep Mochi into his oppontents. :p

12. Amatérasu’s Son Wakanda Forever

Now that's my kind of tactical thinking! :thumbsup

So the next question is, does Jozu like mochi enough to eat his way free?

13. Samehadaman Well-Known Member

Portugal
    Have we seen Katakuri do anything of the sort? Seems to me if he could manipulate the environment to drown people it would have been a key component of his fighting style and clearly shown. There was a floor on for the entire duration of his fights.

14. charles101 Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter whether he likes it or not. He doesn't have stomach made of rubber.

He can do this for example:
    Spoiler:

He could've just kill Luffy with his trident, but he was in hurry, so he made this. Mochi is pretty sticky so you can't get out just with strength. Idk what Jozu would be able to do in Luffy's position.

15. Marcelle.B Super Moderator

@charles101 remember you gotta rehost or snip panels before you post em or else they're gonna come up blocked.

16. charles101 Well-Known Member

I know, I know .-. It takes a few minutes before I remember it :v

17. Samehadaman Well-Known Member

Portugal

Good point, that could be effective against Jozu.

18. MO Well-Known Member

katakuris wins. First he has better protrayal/hype as big mom strongest compared to whitebeard second strongest. Second he is just overall stronger. He has advanced form of 2 hakis with his CoO being so advanced that he can see the future. Jozu isn't even going to hit him. He is really fast and his reflexes are amazing to the point that even when luffy got future sight and used his fatest form he was still dodging left and right. His fruit is a counter too brawlers like jozu too. He can just trap him in mochi and suffocate him unlike luffy he can't eat his way out. Jozu only has his durability and his strenght going for him. His strenght isn't going to matter when he won't be able to hit katakuri anyways. katakuri has lethalty too with mogura. That coated with his great haki is going to penetrate jozu. Sonner or later he is going down.

katakuri high diffs.

19. Amatérasu’s Son Wakanda Forever

Only part I disagree with. If he can tank Mihawk then he can tank Katakuri, he's not drilling through diamond.

20. Extravlad Well-Known Member

France
    Katakuri is stronger but Jozu wins this fight.

Katakuri has nothing to put down Jozu.

21. Marik Swift Ƀĕĕń ĺȗȑǩiṋḡ ṧḯṉḉḕ '07

But I'd give it to Katakuri 10/10 times, based on feats and other factors.

Jozu had durability, which is a huge factor against Katakuri's lack of firepower. Can of course argue he took so long to put Luffy down because of his MC status, but whatever, feats feats are feats. Jozu tanking Mihawk already puts him comfortably above Luffy durability.

Still, Katakuri's future sight makes it virtually impossible for Jozu to hit him.

Jozu also wouldn't have PIS on his side either, and so Katakuri can just bury and suffocate him.

Overall, I see Jozu pushing him to high high difficulty, solely cause Katakuri will struggle to put him down, but at the end of the day, Jozu can't hit him at all to actually put him down.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  22. MO Well-Known Member

I don't believe that. He may tank the first ones but katakuri has amazing armament haki stated by luffy. He will penetrate him sonner or later.

23. Bernkastel Welcome child of man

Katakuri wins...1st mates>2nd strongest..blunt force + haki will be enough for Katakuri to break through diamond or just drown him like Charles said.
    He is also much more versatile vs a quite immobile foe and with his future sight + logia-like fruit I really don't see Jozu landing hits very often..luffy a faster character needed future sight to close the gap and manage to even land hits...katakuri got this high diff

24. Pocalypse Well-Known Member

England
    Katakuri win high diff because of Jozu's durability and that's the only advantage Jozu has over Katakuri. Jozu isn't going to land hits on Kat while Kat will be able to and can bring him down through attrition. Luffy with his insane speed and CoO was handily matched by Kat's own CoO, that's how crazy Kat's CoO is and it's not like he doesn't lack in firepower either, he sent G4 Luffy flying and caused him intense pain with his Power Mochi attacks.

25. Samehadaman Well-Known Member

Portugal
    As a follow up to my other posts and other stuff said here, I give it to Katakuri high/extreme diff.

26. Amatérasu’s Son Wakanda Forever

Alright, on burying him under mochi, the only way out Jozu has (and I think he's strong enough to accomplish it) is simply to lift and throw it off of him.

27. Amatérasu’s Son Wakanda Forever

Luffy's testimony is still only in comparison to the guys he's fought. He's never encountered Jozu's Haki. We're talking about two guys with commander status in the oldest Yonko crews and you're thinking that Jozu a guy who is all about defense is gonna have his Busoshoku blown out?

Attrition fighting is the worst possible strategy to take against a diamond guy. He doesn't have physics on his side like Aokiji who could just freeze him.

Stop assuming that he's got greater Haki or blunt force than Jozu, it doesn't hold up. He doesn't have anything even vaguely resembling strength feats like Jozu.

We also shouldn't expect the fight to play out the same way. Luffy is a smaller opponent with different abilities. He's not gonna fight him with the same tactics. Jozu is a huge guy, and he strikes with his whole body. He's not gonna outpower Jozu like he did Luffy, and shape shifting parts of his body to avoid hits won't work. He's gotta actually move his body and dodge to avoid the strike. Unless you think Katakuri's tougher than Kuzan.

And he's not slow.
    Spoiler:

28. Typhon "The Roaring Tide"

Katakuri wins. I agree with Amol. No reason to think Katakuri would have a tougher time with Jozu then he did with Luffy.

29. Shrike Let's Baby

I know I shouldn't post here, but I just have to say that I am disappointed, guys. The only character that is lower in 'tiers' than Katakuri but can actually win against him is Jozu. He was without a scratch after taking Mihawk's slash. The only damage that Kata will ever land will be from Peerles Mochi attacking the parts of Jozu that are not diamond, and still Jozu hasn't taken any damage for the duration of the whole MF before falling to Aokiji. He has the raw strength to toss an iceberg that dwarfed the whole giant squad in MF. Have we seen any character do that with their bare hands, and as easily? And Katakuri will drop a ceiling on him and what, drown him in it? Are you fucking kidding? And Jozu attacks with his whole body weight. If Kata isn't significantly faster, he won't be able to dodge, COO or not.

--snip--

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018 at 4:20 PM
  30. B Rabbit OL's Best

Katakuri has my vote. I Jozu couldn't break parasite, but Luffy in G4 was able to break out of it, and Katakuri was able to physically compete, and overpower G4 Luffy. To me while I feel the Jozu has the durability to draw this match out. He's also a one trick pony. If Katakuri wanted too he be able to drown Jozu in mochi, and then gataling of peerless donuts too the face.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018 at 3:06 PM