1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Roleplaying Section is hosting their latest create-a-character contest. This month's theme is "Magical Girls."

Check it out here!.
    Dismiss Notice

OPM General Manga Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'One-Punch Man' started by Cordelia, Jan 10, 2016.

1. IdioticGamer A Perv

Tbh I felt like things dragged a bit when we got around the tourney and everything just zipped back and forth. Now that we're getting everything together it's pretty awesome. I mean we needed more time to build everything up, and now it's a bit more excitable.

Meanwhile the webcomic never lost steam and kept on going from what I see. It just got us to the point and we got what we wanted sooner. Some stuff happened differently too. I'm not saying worldbuilding is bad, both are pretty awesome imo. But as of right now, all that investment on the slightly time consuming world building is finally paying off. I think it took us a year to get here after all.

2. BlueDemon Demon

Yeah, you guys are right. Webcomic is so cool because it's BOOM BOOM POW all the time. The manga does some more world building and let's us wait a bit longer. Which isn't bad at all, once all the chapters are out :D

3. Shiny Bright like a diamond

4. Deathbringerpt Dreamer of Possibilities

I don't want to sound like a purist faggot or anything. Because at the end of the day, I'll take the manga over the webcomic any day of the week. But the webcomic does have a unique feel to it that the manga will never have. Especially when ONE plays around and works a few gifs here and there.

The main difference is really the "less is more" approach. No one can really say that Garou's appearance destroying Royal Ripper is not as well drawn as the webcomic. But the original version had a lot more impact to it because we barely had any clue how Garou was since the last time we saw him, he was torn to shreds. Him breaking and entering RR's face was a total slap in the face and carried much more weight.

Murata showing Garou waking up, talking to himself, slowly go down the MA's hideout, go down the tunnels, kill a few pointless monsters, have a couple of other pointless monsters saying "WHAT A BIG DEAL"...and then Garou breaks the door and kills Royal Ripper.

It's just a long, drawn out sequence that doesn't really cut it and has a neutered payoff. I'm sure the arc will get much better as soon as Murata starts escalating the fights and shit but this was kind meh for me.

ONE actually focuses on the sister dynamic on the webcomic's latest arc. This is them giving the first hints about it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
    • List
  5. Shiny Bright like a diamond

6. Amol Chief of Wisdom

I have tendency to let chapters pile so I can read them in bunch later.
    Though it seems like I picked wrong time to catch up. I should have waited for few more months.
    It seems new arc is just starting and I want it all already. :catcry
    I can read webcomic I guess but I got into OPM because of Murata and his Godly S Rank Art. Don't think I would be able to read webcomic because of that.
    I guess all I can do is hope for fast updates.

7. IdioticGamer A Perv

I think it's a fair assessment to say that. If you pace something out for too long it might just seems like it's padding. I can't exactly agree since I don't share the same thoughts on it but there is a charm on keeping things to the point and moving quickly.

That' dynamic is also why I began to favor Tats even more. Surprising since I hated her till that point. Speaking of webcomic, when's the last update? Years?

@Amol

Well there is a thing where the more you're used to seeing bad/shitty things the more used to you are to it? Like lowering art expectations? But either way I'd recc just waiting for now, what happens in the manga though is kinda different in some ways to the webcomic.

8. BlueDemon Demon

Did One actually say he won't be updating anymore because Murata is drawing it now, or is he waiting for him to catch up? Did any of them say anything about it?

9. Deathbringerpt Dreamer of Possibilities

Nothing at all as far as I know, although the guy tweets alot, he might have said something about it. People would have caught on, though.

He finished Mob Psycho 100 recently, he should be pumping chapters.

10. BlueDemon Demon

11. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

Murata was streamin, working on the next chapter

Spoiler: Hereis what I assume to be the cover

:blu

12. Raidoton Well-Known Member

13. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Please explain how rehashing Saitama meeting Garou and then adding in the original way he met Garou provides anything. Suriyu provided absolutely nothing as well rather than putting the fodder in his place.

14. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

I was worried we weren't going to get this, but, it looks like scarf's back on the menu boys

Spoiler:

15. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

Cerberus!!! :awesome

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018 at 10:38 AM
  16. Deathbringerpt Dreamer of Possibilities

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g84_6zbVsSR4qXmejQzHcUxwAy8OtBwV-I0Io_M-i9s/edit

A ONE interview with some trivia and some tidbits here and there. The most interesting part is what he has planned for the future.

Okkun asks whether there’ll come a day Saitama gets defeated. ONE doesn’t give a direct answer, but says he planned out how to end the series right at the beginning. What he’s currently doing is “filling in the middle”. He thinks he’ll be able to produce a pretty interesting conclusion.

17. BlueDemon Demon

That's interesting. Although I wouldn't really like him getting defeated, that's actually the only thing that might make him happy/feel things again.

18. Deathbringerpt Dreamer of Possibilities

It would be weird if the manga didn't climax with someone who can't level with Saitama. Guy's gotta have some proper rush for a fight.

19. BlueDemon Demon

Putting up a good fight and actually defeating him are two different things though.

20. Deathbringerpt Dreamer of Possibilities

Well, he didn't confirm anything, tho. Just shooting the shit.

21. Amol Chief of Wisdom

I would only want Saitama to have a difficult fight one day. You know the kind of fight he craves for .
    I would hate it if Saitama ever lost to anyone. That is just plain wrong.