1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Optimism vs Pessimism

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Shikamaru-sama, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Shikamaru-sama

Which one is the best view on life?

Personally i think there will always be a sliver lining, but ultimately, whats the point?

Tags:
  2. Heldensheld

OBVIOUSLY OPTIMISM. Pessimism would easily led to depression and depression could lead to suicide. Optimistic people look at life openly and happily, making their lives happier. If you are a pessimist, people will think you're strange and keep away from you.

Optimism all the way!

3. Jedi Mind Tricks

I'm definetly try to be the former. I don't like the idea of looking at life in a cynical fashion, I did many years ago but it didn't help at all; just made me an angry person, which got me into a lot of trouble.

Again, definitely optimism. :p

4. Shikamaru-sama

Some people would say that pessimism is a more 'realistic' look at life, as things generally turn out to disapoint

5. Raistlin-sama

None of them.

It's better to be somewhere between them. If you are completley optimistic, you are a fool. If you are completley pesimistic, you close out all happiness.

6. dont_look_back

i find that if you are too optomistic things will be against you but i somtimes pretend to be pessamistic so as not to jynx it

(quite silly realy but it works unless im being stupid)

im not paraniod tho

or am i ???

1 post till 100

7. explicitkarma

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist hopes the wind will go away soon.

The realist adjusts the sails.

8. Minh

I suppose Optimism would be the way to go.. yeah.... right on >.>

9. PyRomantic

Happy Pills

Optimism. I, however, am rather pessimistic, though I can't help it. There really is no "best" outlook on life, but looking on the down side all the time isn't exactly a pleasant way to live... often times I see no point in getting out of bed in the morning, which isn't exactly a healthy way to live. But life is what you make it, if you choose to look at everything negatively then your life won't be a very happy one. If you look on the bright side all the time, even if you're wrong, you're still happier. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. One shouldn't really be completely optimistic or completely pessimistic... it's not very realistic if you are completely one and not the other. There's a time to be sad and a time to be happy. Don't go to a funeral smiling and laughing and don't go to your birthday party sobbing and sullen. A person can't always help how they look at things... I can't help being negative all the time, but that's why my shrinks give me happy pills :D Hurray for Xanax and Lexapro! ...sorta.

10. HinataFanBoy

optimism i guess...but im a pessimist

11. road_rash

If you see the glass as half full, fine, stay thirsty the rest of your damn life, if you see the glass as half empty, fill it up and quit bitching. That's my view on this.

12. Killenator

Neither. Realism is the only way to go. Things will happen as they have happened, and it doesn't matter if they are good or bad, only that you maximize on them.

13. Negative-Ion

This is the best example, but ive heard it a bit different.

Get a bottle of water thats is half full. Then ask a friend of yours about the bottle. Ask him this.

Is the bottle half full, or is it half empty. by that you will see if someone is pessimistic or optimistic.

14. Scorpio3.14

Realism. Although I prefer optimism over pessimism.

15. Yak

Well, yeah, realism is the better one of those two but that wasn't asked here. But I personally tend to pessimism, simply because I'm usually dark and gloomy deep down inside and when you already expect the worse-case scenarios you are more positively surprised when something turns out to be better, like in all my former math-exams. :D
    So, a pessimist expects the worst and hopes for the best, yeah. :D

16. minnatrix

I choose neither, we should try to see things as the way they are without being pessimistic or optimistic.

17. Aldredian_Sahn

But the way we see things depends if we're pessimistic, optimistic or in between.

I go with optimism to a sense of realness. What could be better than always having a positive outcome even on the worst of situations. That's what I think.

18. Lorii

19. Cthulhu-versailles

if you look at life to happy, iit will kick your ass and stomp all over you some cynasim is needed to be sucessful. Anyway the answer is neither you should derive your own view on life not limited it to a simplistic good or bad. Honestly can anyone always look at eveything as either optimistic or pessimistic...

20. Cornuthaum

Neither.

Realism it is. Always expect things to turn out worse than they should, then you'll get surprised in a positive way. It works, at least for me it does.

21. tahaha

Whats the thing that goes too much or too less or anything is bad?
    Too optimistic then you'll snap out of reality and too pessimistic and you'll just be some depressed fool. In the middle is where I walk :)

22. Smooth Jazz

optimism, although sometimes you cant help be pessimistic.

23. Jester12

If your a pessimist your ready for anything because you know what could happen ans are always ready for it. But you also have to have a bit of an opitmistic side every now and then for fun...

24. Twizted

I think that for the most part I'm pessimistic, and when good stuff does happen it seems all the better. That being said I don't let it myre me too much.

25. masterdan

the more you focus on being unhappy the more likely that will be the result.

Optimism always is better, but people who arent ignorant have a hard time being truly optimistic.

26. Fairady

I go with pessimism. If you always expect the worst then the only surprises you'll have are pleasent ones. And being pessimistic doesn't automatically mean you're depressed or unhappy. I'm quite happy the way I am, but then I have a twisted sense of humor that lets me laugh at all the bad things in the world.

27. Balance

Disappointment doesn't bother me too much these days, so optimism's for me.

But I guess it depends to which extreme you take either side. Sometimes being only slightly pessimistic can lead to a pretty "eventful" life.

28. DragonHeart52

realism > total optimism > total pessimism

I'm a realist who continues to hold out hope for the best. I'm either very good at finding silver linings on every dark cloud or incredibly lucky. I guess that makes me either an optimistic realist or a realistic optimist. Works for me.

When things don't turn out like I expected or aren't what I expected, I learn from the mistake and try to do/judge better the next time. I've had my share of depressing experiences over the past few years, but it seems that after the grieving passes, I pop back up to the surface. I guess I'm naturally buoyant.

A balance of optimism (hope and innocence) and pessimism (despair and cynicism) seems the most powerful way to view things, IMHO. Too much to either extreme and you're either a fool or such a "downer" that no one will want to associate with you.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  29. Orumitzu

Bah. I am totally Happy-Go-Lucky!

Everything will work out!

...I hope.

30. Rocklee88

both are inherent emotions of the human condition, so you can't always be one-sided. A healthy balance is good.