1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want YOU the community to help contribute to the new Spiral Rep titles!

Please, check this thread.

Dismiss Notice
  5. My fellow ningen! It's time for another Dragon Ball Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. [​IMG]

We are going to give one month of coloured usernames to a couple of NF users.

Please, check NFs Valentine's Day Event

Dismiss Notice

7. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Pain Invasion Arc VS Chunin Exam arc

Discussion in 'New Leaf' started by Jonavity, Sep 5, 2017.

Which was better?

This poll will close on Jun 1, 2020 at 8:16 AM.
  1. Chunin exam

53.8%
  2. Pain invasion

46.2%
  1. Jonavity Neko

Sweden
    What is considered the best arc off part 1 vs what is considered the best arc off part 2. Which did you prefer? I include the konoha invasion btw since i consider it to be the climax of the chunin exam arc.

For me it's a close call. Probably slightly prefer the pain invasion because Naruto VS Pain was so much hype and Pain was a awesome villain. The part before Naruto arrived was also intense with a lot off cool moments. Also the last time i actually enjoyed Naruto's talk no jutsu. After this arc it was just annoying.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Tags:
  2. NinJarX Guilmon <3

The Chunin exam was more of light hearted arc and there was more content in it (obviously since it was 60 episodes long). Battles were mostly good and Orochimaru was on his prime.

Pain was more serious and the whole package was better for a twenty episode arc. Naruto vs Pain is still the best battle to date and the depth behind Pain, Peace etc. were pretty impressing,

I like both arcs, but I give the edge to the Pain arc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. Evil Pantalones Unqualified Idiot

Characters weren't overpowered, we got to see all these completely different fighting styles and techniques, most matches felt even.

Not to mention that we got to see some of the dopest twists in the series. The whole thing felt thoroughly well thought of.

And Rock Lee vs Gaara is still, TO THIS DAY, my favorite fight.

It was legit AF.

This was the part that REALLY got me hooked on Naruto way back in the day.

The Pain Invasion arc was alright, but it had WAY too much hype surrouding it. Expectations were way too high for it not to disappoint.

The Chunin Exam didn't have hype at all! None of us knew what was coming and every part felt better than the last.

Not only that, it established Orochimaru as a total badass and the first real threat to Konoha. The first real villain.

This was one the most defining moments of the series. Kishi really knew his shit back then.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Ultrafragor Well-Known Member

Chunin exams were better overall because by the time of the Pain arc Kishi had begun ignoring everyone that wasn't Naruto or Sasuke

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Coolest Guy! Coolest Guy! x 1
    • List
  5. LazyWaka Bringer of Darkness Retired Staff

6. root eltiT resU motsuC

Is Pain considered the best arc of part 2? I wouldn't call it that. The best villain and one of the best fights sure, but as an arc there wasn't much to it. Still awesome. But chuunin exam wins this by a mile. If only because the Chuunin exam pretty much introduced every single character and story arc for the rest of the series. All the different countries, clans, fighting styles, the basic idea of the tailed beasts, Orochimaru and Kabuto, the akatsuki and sannin are introduced, Obito is mentioned, every character's goals and character traits, it showcased fights from genin level to hokage. It introduced sooo much.

I mean, it dragged in the middle and the first time I watched it I was bored. But now I respect that arc and Kishimoto for doing what he did there.

7. theRonin Well-Known Member

Chunin exam arc was the best as it actually focused on all the characters equally unlike pain invasion arc where any that is not Naruto was prett much left and forgotten.

8. Milliardo G.L.P.

• Orochimaru was an awesome villain
    • Gaara vs Lee
    • Naruto vs Neji
    • Sasuke vs Gaara
    • Naruto vs Gaara
    • Orochimaru vs the 3rd Hokage

These are highlights for me personally though the Chunin exams had something for people besides Naruto and Pain fans. Pain arc was a decent for sure but hardly fair to compare it to the Chunin exams. The ending of the Pain arc was horrible too which hurts it a lot.

9. NW Well Known-Member

Chuunin Exams. Better executed and felt more organic.

10. LostInLogicError Well-Known Member

This is like comparing part I of Naruto manga with its Boruto spin-off... How is this even a contest?

11. T-Bag The Strongest

Chuunin exams was one of the best arcs not only in naruto, but manga history. It is what made naruto so popular right off the bat.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. Addy itachi is everywhere!!!

the chosen one bullshit is bullshit.

kishi didnt say a single word about the nature of peace/war in the chunin exames, but it has more to say about wars in the world than the pain arc whch was about pace and war which is saying someting.

the TNJ naruto did to gaara was no where near the amount of bullshit TNJ naruto did to pain.

saratubi vs orochimaru > anything in pain arc.

also, the coopout over not killing hinata, and her confession not recognized....... EVER AGAIN is just BS.

oh and this

13. Pocalypse Well-Known Member

England
    Chuunin exams for all the reasons mentioned.

Pain arc would've been a close contender if Kishi went through with the deaths, didn't TnJ Pain on the very arc he did the most damage and kept him alive for the war cuz let's be honest blowing up Konoha was nuts and Naruto was the closest he ever got to releasing all the full tails, that shit was intense and epic at the time. Of course all of that was ruined a few chapters later because it didn't leave a lasting affect.

14. Lee-Sensei The Clown Prince of Crime

Everyone gets a moment to shine, characters weren't over powered, Gaara vs. Lee, Orochimaru was a great villain and interesting character dynamics and histories. I had some personal problems with it (the Sasuke shilling, the lack of payoff with Dosu and in retrospect Kishi took a dump on the hardwork Aesop), but overall it was still one of the best arcs in the series.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  15. kokorowatari Member

I'm surprised I thought everyone will vote to pain invasion

16. Skimandla Well-Known Member

to me this is the best arc in the Naruto series. story wise this is the best arc ,the Jiraira, Nagato, Naruto relationship was a dope.
    Nagato remains the best developed antagonist in the series.
    same goal conflicting ideas, peace justice revenge theme
    epic moments occurred in this arc alone
    1. Pain wrecking havoc in the village
    2. Pain blowing up konoha
    3. Naruto entrance
    4. pain speech
    5. kyuubi rampage
    6. chibaku tenei
    7. minato
    8. girei (anime)
    the true reason why this arc is the best is the JIRAIRA THE GALLANT ARC which kick started the build up and the unnecessary over hype.
    they were short comings in this arc
    1. pain fighting style (sending one body at a time)
    2. shitty animations (anime)
    3. talk no jutsu; the way it was used
    4. rinne tensei
    Chuunin exams is close to second rock lee vs gaara was awesome

everyone complains about character development in part 2 and forget that part 2 was concentrating on development of major charators
    itachi, nagato, madara, obito, minato, jiraira etc were all developed in part 2
    part 1 was about the konoha 11
    part 2 was about the major characters who were more relevant to the development of Naruto

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Indra I can't stop eating

Pain Arc was more intense, however what followed wasn't. That's argubly where Naruto fell into a real depression state where people started criticizing Naruto and the series as a whole.

Chunin Exams was lit, and what followed it was still lit. So there's the issue.

18. Jonavity Neko

Sweden
    Pretty much. Pain arc was the last arc before the series started to head toward the shitter when we still got constantly good arcs after chunin exam.

19. Aphrodite Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  20. Brandon Lee Green days are not gone

Mexico
    Pain arc was shit

Theres no comparisson

Make a chunnin exams vs SRA and you'll have a nice thread

Every single arc in part 2 is horseshit compared to part 1

21. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

Pain arc is the most overhyped arc in this series.
    It was boring, most characters didn't do anything.
    This was the arc when the true Naruto wanking began.

22. Spider-Man ---

Chunin Exams, easily for reasons stated. Also, besides the more obvious reasons why I cannot stand Pain arc besides Kishimoto being spineless, and lacking backbone to kill off his characters, Pain submitting to the nonsensical Talk no Jutsu or Naruto being the Child of Prophecy, my other issue with Pain arc is the entire concept behind Senjutsu and how Naruto was the sole person who managed to learn and master it because of his sky-high chakra reserves, Jiraiya had trouble mastering Sage Mode, Kabuto only got it via Orochimaru and Jugo's DNA; it rendered everyone else who weren't a Senju, Uzumaki or Uchiha useless as fuck, because they didn't meet the requirements to learn Senjutsu.

What's worse about Senjutsu is, like with the wood Kekkei Genkai, doesn't follow the established rules, it has no creativity, Kishimoto could just draw a generic Rasengan and pretend it's a brand new technique because it has Senjutsu in the name, smh.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  23. Indra I can't stop eating

Don't forget the "bigger the Rasengan gets = bigger new name for the technique"

24. Raiden

It's to say because arcs serve different purposes. The Chuunin exams arc, for example, set the stage for the Konoha Invasion arc, which is more like what happened with Pein. The Pein arc was Naruto's time to take a commanding lead of the series, whereas the Chuunin exams arc focused on the development of multiple characters.

25. rissaroo42 New Member

Pain arc was by far the best between these 2 arcs. First, you have Jiraya versus Pain (who is a brand new character we know nothing about). We see Jiraya fight like we've never seen it before! It was an awesome fight, then they introduce Sage mode along with 2 new frog characters! The entire battle is awesome and we find out small clues about the village Pain is living in and we are also introduced to Konan. And then they kill Jiraya. He was a main character loved by a lot of fans! And they killed him so easily. And we saw him giving his all. After we're struck by this hurtful death, we get to see Sasuke versus Itachi which has been Sasuke's main goal since the beginning of the show. We see a new side to Itachi and learn the truth about the brutal massacre of the Uchiha clan. And then Itachi's dead changing Sasuke's character again and creating a new plan of action for Sasuke and his new crew of followers. Naruto learns of Pervy Sage's death and vows to avenge his master who is the closest thing to a father Naruto has known. He is personally invited to train by the toads who also trained Jiraya and Naruto embarks on a training mission to learn the sage mode. Finally....we get to the Pain invasion arc. He walks into the Leaf Village not giving a single fuck and just starts killing innocents. It is the best storyline of the show so far (in my opinion). After wreaking havoc on the village, he kills KAKASHI! You cannot kill kakashi and get away with it. Finallllllly, naruto comes back. And he has THE SAME FIRECRACKER ENTRANCE that JIRAYA does when HES ABOUT TO FIGHT SOMEONE/TELEPORTS SOMEWHERE! His new costume is badass and he kicks Pain's ass.....kind of....before getting captured. Hinata tries to save Naruto, obviously we all knew she wasn't going to get anything done....but when Pain busts her up...Naruto loses it, uses the Ninetails power, breaks the seal/hokage's necklace, and uses as much power as he can to mess Pain up! Although it's not a very long battle and it could have been a bit better in some areas.....it has some really great animation, and we get to see Naruto defeat Pain! NOT TO MENTION NARUTO FINALLYYYYYYYY FIGURES OUT THAT THE 4TH HOKAGE IS HIS FATHER AND HE GETS TO TALK TO HIM!!!! And after all of this....Naruto still goes on to talk to the real Pain (nagato) and CHANGES THIS PSYCHOPATH'S outlook on life....while naruto and all of us learn that Nagato isn't really a psychopath...his story is painful and we feel sympathy for this hated character who killed so many beloved characters, AND NARUTO SPARES HIS LIFE AFTER HE KILLED HIS 2 MENTORS! IT IS A BEAUTIFULLY AMAZING ARC AND NARUTO FINALLY RECEIVES THE RESPECT AND LOVE FROM HIS VILLAGE WHEN HE RETURNS HOME!

The Chunin Exams arc was incredible and extremely entertaining, don't get me wrong, but I just truly think the Pain arc was SO much better and so satisfying in many different aspects! At least in the Chunin exams, Sasuke wasn't a little bitch like he is in Shippuden.

26. rissaroo42 New Member

27. rissaroo42 New Member

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I ENJOYED READING THIS!

28. root eltiT resU motsuC

Reviving this thread like a Nagato casting Rinne Tensei. You should add some line breaks/paragraphs for readability.

Yea, pain arc was badassery and awesomeness and all. And what is arguably the best fight for Naruto himself. I wouldn't count Sasuke vs. Itachi as part of the same arc. But if you are, then sure, bonus points for that part as well.

Chuunin exams was neat for introducing pretty much every story element for the rest of the series, as well as a giant cast of characters and having tons of clashing motivations and scheming going on and fighting at all the different ranks/power levels.

Opinions! :catmako

29. Sword Sage Swordsman in Training

Pain was to me the best Villian until all was ruined by how the Rinnegan was suppose to be special until it later became a simple evolution of Sharigan shit. Really ruined what Jiriaya has build up that hype.

And sage mode was the best and I wished naruto had more sage mode battles using his frog Kata. I get tired of Naruto like taking backseat all the time while guys like Kakashi steals the show. It's why I like how Pain beaten Kakashi with no issue unlike with Tobi.

Also Hinatas confession has left many fans wondering why it hasn't been addressed chapters later until final chapter confirmed their relationship. That was stupid I get he is not good with romance but that doesn't mean he couldn't give Naruto and Hinata more interactions like how he has been doing between Naruto and Sakura that fooled the fans including his wife go believe that they are the end game couple.

And just right after Nagato's death revealed to be from Uzumaki clan I can't help but feel dissapointed that the Uzumaki clan were being main plot of the story. I mean they are the clan of the protagonist how could he ignore that over Uchiha clan?

30. Roman Emperor

The only real noteworthy moment from the Pain Invasion Arc was Naruto vs Pain. Otoh, the Chuunin Exam had a lot of hype around it and a lot of characters had their time to shine.