1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial PART I: Drawing Kishimoto Style

Discussion in 'Art 101' started by Aleana, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Aleana

*places spectacles on* Hello class^^ and welcome to Aleana's tutorial on how to draw, Kishimoto style. Now, when learning a particular style of any one particular artist, the FIRST and FOREMOST step is to observe what sets them apart from other artists. In order to do this look at distinguishing style features such as the way an artist draws the nose, eyes, and face shape. These are very important when forming a style.

Kishimoto happens to be my favorite mangaka and has been a big inspiration to me. I love how 'realistic' his style is. For example, look closely and compare the two pictures below.

(I love Samurai Champloo too^^)

Notice the differences between the two. In the left picture, the facial structure is much more rigid and angular...forming almost a boxed or pentagonal shape. Kishimoto's faces have a more round, filled out feel to them . Kishimoto also draws his faces generally to scale. Eyes, noses, mouths etc. are not sized overly huge.

Another big factor is the nose. Kishimoto's have a natural, real look, nostril included.

HOMEWORK: look over different style and place them next to a Kishimoto drawing. REALLY look! Break the pictures down into shapes and practice, yes, practice by drawing the shapes.

Now, you can;t draw ANY style until you get down the basics of proportions. It's a big misconception that anime/manga is easiest to draw... YOU NEED TO PRACTICE DRAWING FIRST! Anime artists and mangakas know how to draw realistically before they draw in the Japanese style! Yes, it is important people^^

However, this tutorial isnt meant to teach everyone how to draw, just draw in a particular style, so I won't touch on this subject too deeply. If you wish to know how to draw in general I'll make a tutorial later on for that.

Okay, basic shape/proportions of the head:

1.) Draw a circle. *Remember guys, these are sketches, if its not perfect right now don't worry... it'll be fixed up as you go. I'm also drawing this on the computer as I go, so its not refined at all.*

2.) Draw the jawline. Now be careful and TRY TO MAKE IT SYMETRICAL! No lopsided heads for us! Notice how the jawline simply drops down first before curving in towards the buttom when it forms the chin.

There, simple right? Thats all you need to form a face. Later on we'll work on different sides and views of the face, but for now lets start small^^

Onto the face now:

3.) Now, draw a line vertically down the center and across the head horizontally. ^^ Eyes are ALWAYS located horizontally in the center of the head (your hair line creates the illusion that it is higher than it is, look at yourself in the mirror... its true!).

The two red lines below the eyeline are for the nose and mouth respectively. The nose is almost half the distance of the eyes to the chin, the mouth is 1/3rd the distance between the noseline and the chin.

4.) Now ears, technically the ears realistically are the size of the distance from your browridge *tops of eyes* to the bottom of your nose... anime tends to make them a little smaller so its okay if they aren;t that long... but try not to make them too small.

The lips will NEVER be wider than the distance between the eyes from the center. The smaller they are...the more shy/serious a character looks. Loud-mouths (ie. Jiraiya/Naruto) tend to have longer/bigger mouths.. but they dont extend past the centers of the eyes.

The eyes lie on the center of that center horizontal line. The distance between the eyes is the length of ONE EYE. So, another eye can fit in between them^^. That's a good rule-of-thumb.

THANKFULLY Kishimoto draws according to proportion. So as lng as you study proportions more you're already 3/4ths the way there!

And finally the hair. Whatever you do, just make sure it is only slightly bigger than the original headline.

The neck is technically almost the same width as the jaw...BUT this is manga style, so it will be thinner than the jaw (more slender on females, more thick for a male).

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT! The basic proportions of the face in a nutshell. Now let's continue to examine Kishimoto specifically shall we?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
    Tags:
  2. Aleana

Continued....

Observe the chart below I created of some adilts faces.

Notice some similar aspects? Well here's a list:

1. All the noses are either realistically line drawn (if their head is turned to the side) or only the bottom of the nose is drawn (if they are facing directly towards the camera). Kishimoto does NOT draw pointy, outlandish noses!

2. As adults, their eyes are more slender. Slender, narrowed eyes portray a sense of intelligence and age. Characters that have big eyes ( *cough* NARUTO) tend to be more innocent and young.

3. The lips, when closed, tend to only be made up of one or two lines.

4. Under the neck, Kishimoto does a few hatch marks *shadow lines* to show the shadow under the jaw.

5. Since adults tend to be more serious, their eyes are half-open... or slightly closed ...however you look at it! In order to pull that off just draw a line right above the eye to give it a more 'lazy' look. *look at pictures of Kakashi for obvious reference*

6. The more 'masculine' characters have more pronounced jaws (more box shaped) than feminine characters.

HOMEWORK!

Okay, since I want to make sure you guys are reading this through^^ Please post below with any other aspects you notice Kishimoto does (you can just use the chart above for reference if you wish). Also, if you would like to draw a basic face and post it below, I will critique it for you^^. Also, feel free to ask any questions pertaining to this part of the tutorial. HAVE FUN!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  3. Hitman89

Nice Tutorial Aleana.

4. Bloody_Shikamaru

Goooooooooood finally the tutorial....Allright...I'll do the homework.

5. I ARE 1031

This is great but I think I need to the how to draw tutorial cus I really stink at Naruto but I'll try anyways.

6. NarutoFanatic

really nice tutorial but u forgot to mention tht for some women ( and the guy who looks like a girl... forgot his name) the lips are real "juicy" lips, not just a line or two...
    *is that considered as a done homework?????* :p
    looking forward to seeing the rest...:D
    PS: thank u Aleana thank u Aleana thank u Aleana thank u Aleana thank u Aleana thank u Aleana thank u Aleana ...

7. I ARE 1031

Ok well here is my attempt at drawing Kakashi and Jiraiya. Kakashi is relatively easy compared to Jiraiya. I stink at drawing (my Jiraiya doesn't even look like Jiraiya) but maybe you can tell me what's wrong with both...

Jiraiya

Kakashi

Thanks again for the tutorial! :laugh

8. itachi123

when do you think part 2 will come

9. Hitman89

this is my first attemt(SP) how did I do?

10. Bauw

That "tut" is realygreeat!!!
    but i am going to sleep now so ill post my home work tomorow!!!!

hehhe.... ((I am so lazy -_-;;))
    well you will hearfrom me then!!!

sayonara!

11. shadowz

IT seems he also draws younger people with more tounded faces (Itachi, Yondaime) and sa they get older there face becomes more ridged

12. Bauw

Homework!

Well godmorning everyone......!!!!
    hehe for me its morning and some is starting to go to bed!!!!

well here is my homework:
    tride to copy of yours first (left) and that dident go to good so i did a new one whit the same basiks. so what do you thing?

and Thnx for thw "tut" it is great.... !!!!!
    will sit here and whaint for part 2!!!! :smile-big

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  13. Crucifixation

And just in case you can't see...
    doodle

Mistakes that I've noticed and am trying to correct.
    1. The right eye seemed to be a little bit far off the correct position, and seems that it's half out of the face.

2. The face isn't exactly symmetrical.

3. Neck appears to be slanting off towards the right.

4. Funny position of the hair.

14. I ARE 1031

Cru, yours is awesome man!!! Better than mine by a lot, good job!
    Gotta go to school now!
    Peace :)

15. Bloody_Shikamaru

Here is mine, I draw Tifa Lockheart..Kishimoto style...I took my time to color her.. It's my first time coloring.

[img=http://img26.exs.cx/img26/7483/tifalockheartkishimotostyle4lx.th.jpg]

Feed back would be good...especially from Aleana =)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  16. FrostBead

I have drawn a pic, but i have 0 clue on how to post it. pm someone :) ?

17. Aleana

I'll be viewing/ correcting everyone's drawings tonight^^ and FrostBead, if your picture is already hosted (ie. has an adress) then u can post it by placing the after it... you can host a picture by uploading it into (just make a free account)

18. itachi123

if i had a scanner i would post mine but sadly idont i think my drawing looks way better now with this tut thx.

edit: cant wait for part 2

19. Dimezanime88

...do you think this is wise? teaching artist to draw like that of kishimoto?! the man is my sensei and i respect his artstyle highly, but...anyways, you are doing a good thing by teaching them the basis. but you should'nt teach how to draw like kishimoto, but instead, a "how to draw" tutorial. simple as that. let them develope their own styles as they progress with th basics and common knowledge..

20. Bloody_Shikamaru

Well, when Kishimoto was young, he tried to draw like Akira-sama. However, it didn't stop him from creating his own style, Naruto style that is.

I think that's what Aleana want us to do. Learn by drawing like others AND create our own style. That's own I learned to draw. Since Final Fantasy 7, I always tired to draw like Tetsuya Nomura. Lol, but I'm not a clone of him neither, I've created my own style.

21. Keira

Cool, a Kishi style tutorial
    I might try this tomorrow when I wake up ^^

oh and dimenzanime, it's ok to learn how to draw like others because it will teach some fundamentals things that you can use when you're ready to create you're own style. Take it from me, I change my style of drawing every time I change the anime theme to the creator's style, doing this helped me to create my own style.

22. Dimezanime88

thats not what i mean. you're right in what he is doing..but, im trying to say is that he's teaching basics in kishimoto style to newbies who don't know how to draw completely yet. he should first teach the "whole basics" of art before telling them what to add on to their styles to look like kishimoto's. then after a few more practices, they can then infuse their own style+the basics+ [whatever other artist you're inspired by]= the ultimate and unique style that belongs to you and only you. he's only doing that half right. if im wrong, then don't mind me. i must be confused in somewhere along his tut.

23. Bloody_Shikamaru

Yeah...you may be right. Oh, by the way. The teacher is a ''she''.....lol, she's a girl.

Anyway. If you look at the basic shape/proportions of the head tutorial she made, you could say that this is a REAL basic tutorial. But for the rest I agree with you. =)
    But we all can't denied the fact the this tutorial is absolutly great :leepose

24. Dimezanime88

oops!:D is a she! my bad.:( sorry. well, continue with your tut then. i hope alot of people learn how to use your info.

25. FrostBead

:D tried to do gekkou hayate, when hes being killed in the country of sand.
    Never painted serious before..... more and more excuses.
    Thnx for tut btw, it's fun.

/frostie

26. Crucifixation

While we're at it, please rate this too.

Alt. doodle

doodle

This was done as a rough sketch, and before I know about this nifty thing called guidelines. (Thankyou, Aleana. Drawing has never been easier after seeing your amazing tutorial.)

Any constructive criticism will be highly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  27. wne

nice tutorial, i registered just to say that... been reading the forums for more than a few months and finally decided to reg to say thx for the tute.

28. Gator

whoa nice :D great tutorial..(btw I love your manga!! when's the update??)

uhm..I drawed a pic of Naruto before this tutorial, but feedback is very much appreciated..:)

29. sasuke0929

WOw i wana draw like that : p

30. shinda

oh my! thanks so much for this ^^