1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Pimpages/Pimp-list issues

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Niabingi, Oct 6, 2006.

Pimps

1. No more than 2 pimps a day

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. That's too much/too little per day (enter your recommended # of pimps)

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Niabingi Skyentist

Now I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth and all but I had to bring something up thats been bugging me for a while. I am happy to be on the pimplist and enjoy receiving all the great albums and recommendations from the wonderful folk here at the MD, however, is it just me who finds myself often overwhelmed in a sea of albums to listen to?

There can be soo many albums sent out in one week and with such limited time its hard to get through them all, so then I find myself picking which albums to listen to first instead of just listening to them all. I also feel sorry for the person who makes the effort to create a thread write up an album upload and send it beacuse it seems that the majority of threads/pimps sink without trace.

I think if the pimps were more spread out or organised, then peoples effort would be more rewarded as im sure more people would listen to and comment on the albums they had recieved. Plus the more time challenged among us will get the chance to listen to ALL the albums sent out and not just a random hit and miss selection.

Sorry if I sound ungrateful or moany.... im really not I appreciate every album sent!

Tags:
  2. Nega doesn't watch Naruto.

I think it would be good to have a few pimp lists for each genre, and the people who sign up request which genres they want to receive.

3. Voynich MADDER RED

The age old problem. We tried toning down a bit before, but after 2 weeks everyone decided to pick up speed again and well yes, it's overwhelming. I just had to delete 42 pms with unlistened music cause the links went dead and I didn't have time to download them all. Usually I just pick a few to listen and the rest gets a turn if I have space left or if the link holds long enough. I'm afraid it just can't be helped. We don't all have 250 gig HDs and unlimited time to download.

4. Sid _

We could make a schedule :p

I don't mind it right now, I just download pretty much everything and put it in a seperate "To listen to" folder.

5. Niabingi Skyentist

The problem with the download now listen later is that the people who sent out the albums receive little feedback as people are not listening to the things they send until days/weeks/months later.

6. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Well, we could try to make a "no more than 2 pimps per day" rule. Not sure how that will sink with everyone.

I'll get a mod to fix a poll in this thread and sticky it with these following options:

1 - no more than 2 pimps a day
    2 - that's too much/too little per day (enter your recommended # of pimps)

[/me misses the bearded nordy :-(]

7. Sid _

How would that work though? There are so many people from different time zones, what is a 'day'?

8. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Way i see it, if you log in and find 2 pms in your inbox, you hold off what you planned on sharing for 24 hours.

OR

We can make a thread with planned pimps. 2 people get to post what they plan to share that day as a sort of dibs and people have to wait for 24 from the time those two posted their info thread.

I know, it's a bit shaky and rather restricting, but I cant see any other way we can organize pimps. Im open to any ideas tho so everyone please

9. Arty King of The Mountain

Option 1 sounds much more clean.

That's just my opinion on the matter and I'm just a mummy with a keyboard so take this however you like

10. Niabingi Skyentist

I think the 2 pimps a day limit is a good idea, the way I see it though it would be good to have a Reserving thread as well. So you dont start uploading an album only to find by the time you have finished doing it there are two albums which have already been sent out that day.

11. Buskuv The thing which Solomon overlooked Global Moderator

I'd say, personally, closer to three. As long as they don't all happen at the around the same time of day, I think it would work out fine. Maybe I just have too much free time, but I usually can do 2-3 a day. :nod

12. delirium thyme

Well.. The 2 day pimp limit sounds good, but I think it'll also cause a back up with the way albums are pimped in the MD. The 2 day limit will be reached.. everyday. Getting 14 albums in just a week is still a lot of albums to try and listen to and post thoughts into threads. Just in the past two weeks I've counted about 27. And that's just the ones I've downloaded. So we're still, kind of, in the same boat. Though it does help a little.

One way to have more time to actually listen to the albums would be to give a schedule to regular pimpers. Like a certain group can only pimp on the 3rd week of a month. And you can always forfeit your week if you have nothing to pimp. Of course, 2 or 3 per pimps. We wanna have time to listen to these albums.

But that sounds a little too strict. All we're doing here is sharing music. But we do want to get organized..

Something easier would be to extend the limit from a day to a week and make it anywhere from 2-4 pimps within that time. The start of the week could be Sunday, and pimps could roll in when the clock stricks midnight wherever you are. Or we could draw e-sticks. Shit, I don't know. There'll still be a back up in the flow of incoming pimps, but at least we'll have more time to listen and properly ingest the music to actually get to discuss it. Requests are made in here all the time anyway, so if you need more to satisfy your thirst you can always do that.

13. olaf Cthulhu Fhtagn!

My only problem with pimps is that I don't have thing to listen them on. I have enough time, but I don't have my own pc or mp3 player, and my flat mates are like "WTF are you listening on MY pc, turn that shit off".

IMO 2 pimps a day is enough, but thing like some kind waiting list should be there too (so I won't upload loadshit of music, and then I notice that somoene pimped sth 10 min before me)

And I have a question, what do you understand by pimp? you mean one PM or one ablum/song? cuz I planned to do some pimps that wyould contain like 2 LP + 2 EP + 1 demo, and I wanted to put it in one PM.

So maybe there should be another rule how much albums you can pimp in one PM?

14. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

I think a pimp shouldnt be more than 1 LP + 1 EP.

*pokes people to post their thoughs*

15. TicoTico Smexin-teh-Hinata

That's what I also do, the amount of music is overwhelming at times but I still manage to dl most of it. Having said that, I'm about to go to London for a week and my inbox ought to look quite.. interesting.. :p after that trip. Some restrictions might be due, if they work that is. Don't know how pimping two or three PMs a day would turn out like but I'm all game for trying it out.

Maybe the only way to truly solve this problem is something like what Nega suggested, though. Have people ask for pimpage in the threads or via PMs instead of relying on such a huge pimp-list with so many dealers.

16. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Actually, we desgined the pimp system to avoid threads ending up into 2 pages with nothing but "pass me the record" comments, which always used to happen and lead to practically no discussion going around. IF you check soem of the old threads sharing the albums pre-pimp list, you'll see that they either end up that way, or with only a few people asking and no other posts made.

It's a good system really, we just need to set a limit. Peopel can d/l for later listens and bump the thread. Feedback is not my concern cause that always happens, the problem is with people missing out and deletign what they get due to lackign HD space.

17. Niabingi Skyentist

I like the basic premise of the pimp-list as well, I think its a good system to encourage sharing of music. Its just without the limits or restrictions it doesnt really allow for downloading/listening to albums.
    Restricting the amount of pimps per day or per week and having a reserving thread would help alot!

18. spinstate chop'em down

How about co-ordinating the pimps,such that all the pimps of a day are collected at one place/person so that only 1 PM is sent per day.
    This would reduce over-crowding of PM inboxes.

2-3 pimps per day sounds good.

19. mow <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

^ best way to go

20. Sid _

But that would kill things like DragonSlayer's post-rock pimp.

You'd need somebody who is sure to be online every day of the week.

Plus, some sites (e.g. yousendit) have a limit on how many days the file can be downloaded.

I think this is the best idea so far.

21. Voynich MADDER RED

I'm with Egla on this. Besides the "see if your inbox has 2 and if so, send it later" thing would still end up with mass sending cause you can't know if someone else is about to send to. I think a roster would be good. Just give up what you're about to pimp and someone will keep the scedule. That way you can plan in advance and people will know what is coming. The thing Moe posted is nice too, but it will end up in a mess, we just need someone to keep the scedule and plan it all in.

I volunteer for that btw. We all know I'm an internet maniac and online each day. XD

I have it pretty much all planned out ^^;;

22. spinstate chop'em down

Also to make sure everyone gets a chance to pimp his/her music, how about a limit on the number of pimps a person can do per week? (with exceptions in case of mega-pimpages etc. >> )

23. Aruarian Well-Known Member

This will be the end of impulsive pimping.

You fucking murderers.

24. spinstate chop'em down

It's not dead yet. :oh

Still wasn't this the problem in the first place? That too much was being pimped too quickly?

25. Voynich MADDER RED

Uhm ..let's say we give my idea a try. Ill keep a thread, people that wanna pimp shit pm me, ill add the to the roster. that way everyone can see what is coming, when it's coming and I'll just have to update it day by day. that way you can also see who is taking too much pimp space.

26. Aruarian Well-Known Member

Never was my problem, really.

27. olaf Cthulhu Fhtagn!

so let me get this straight, when I wanna make a pimp I'll have to

1) pm maho
    2) wait 24 hour when I'm next/first in queue in some kind pimp topic
    or
    3) wait more if I'm not next/first in queue

this sounds good enough for me

28. Arty King of The Mountain

I am afraid of the "roster" filling up to like a week in the first day and then I'll never be able to send out some stupid obscure 60s garage band

29. Aruarian Well-Known Member

Or you can just ignore the rules and pimp that shit.

30. Arty King of The Mountain

Dave you are a WILD MAN