1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Anime

Discussion in 'Akihabara TV Channel' started by BringerOfChaos, Jun 25, 2012.

1. BringerOfChaos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What is your opinion on it. Personally best wishes has been disappointing just like the Unova region. I mean compared to the previous seasons its just one big bore. Lets see.

Kanto/First series

The thing that started it all. Ash begins his journey. We introduced to the world of Pokemon. We see Misty and Brock. Ash journeys to get all 8 badges and enter the pokemon league to become a pokemon master. A group of Team rocket members who are in every episode tries to steal Ash pikachu and occasionally other peoples pokemon. This series was the best. Though to be fair it was because it was the thing that started it all. And it was before pokemon started getting more kid friendly and cheesy then it is currently. Though we must admit one flaw about Pokemon in general is it is to repetitive. As we all know Ash lost the pokemon league.

Orange Islands/Second series[Can fall under with the first series despite being in a different location]

Basically after Kanto this is where Ash goes. I will be honest. I did not enjoy the orange island series. It was a bit boring. And Brock was temporarily replaced with a boring character named Tracey. The only thing that kept this series fresh was the new area,and adventure. The pokemon was pretty much the same. Though im sure everyone else had a different opinion on this.

Johto/third series[Can fall under first series as well despite being a different region

When Pokemon became on top again. The reason I say that because not only did Brock return,we had a whole new region,a new adventure. But also we have brand new pokemon. There is not much to say. This series was just awesome.

Hoenn/fourth series[Can be called a whole new second series]

Similar to the Johto series. New pokemon,adventure,region. But not only that new bad guys. Though sadly Misty was not in this series but was replaced with a newb character named May. Although we all know Misty was the best heroine,May was not that bad. She brought a different twist to the series with pokemon contest. And grew up to become a great trainer. She honestly kept the series fresh. Though during this series which people thought was okay the show died down a bit. But same ending. Ash does not win the Pokemon league. And May looses the grand festival. No happy ending and a set up for a next series.

Back to Kanto/fifth series[Can fall under second series.]

Ash loosing again[What a horrible trainer] hears something called the battle frontier[Probably thinking "Damn I suck. I should try something new."] We keep the same characters. But are met with an old environment and old pokemon. Though this series was not horrible. I enjoyed it. May entered contests and Ash tried something new. And in the end May lost the grand festival but I believe in the end Ash wins he battle frontier after his third try I believe[Finally he does something with his life.] But declines becoming a battle frontier. May says her good bye and goes to enter contest in the hoenn region.

Sinnoh/sixth series[Can be counted as a third series.]

Unlike the others this series is much shorter I believe. And also this series received a lot of undeserved hate. Anyway same system. New pokemon,region,rival,heroine. We meet a new newb named Dawn who looks like she is confused about her environment[What is she dressed for?] Unlike May she actually knows what she wants to be from the start. We meet Paul a interesting new rival in my opinion. And brock is back as well. Well not much I can say. Ash was not even supposed to be in sinnoh if it was not for Gary Electivire. Same formula except Ash could have won the league if it was not for that guy with the darkrai[COME ON! I mean really. They let a darkrai in there!] This series was one of my favorites honestly. In the end Ash looses as expected. Dawn and Brock get there happy ending. Ash on the other hand is still not done achieving his dream[Times like this I wish the Ash is in a coma theory is real. Or they would make Pokemon more darker.]

Unova/seventh series[Can be addressed as a 4th series.]

No more Brock,Misty,May,Dawn. There all gone and Ash is starting fresh. Unova a brand new region. This series gets well deserved hate. Ash has been completely stupefied. His new rival in unlikable. The new region and pokemon is quite unappealing to me. Iris is a character iv come to hate. And Cilan is very annoying and deserves to die a painful death. And the series has entered a whole new level of kid friendly,cheesy,and idiotic. This is the series where pokemon completely died to me. Though that is just my opinion. Though are the bright side at least Team rocket is more serious now and gets shit done.

Tags:
  2. Saturday Hello, Wherever You Are

After Johto I lost my interest in it. I still watch some of the gym battles on youtube though because some of them are actually pretty cool.

3. Kazekage Gaara Kazekage

Personally, i didn't like the 1. gen, i don't know why but i didn't. Hoenn, Johto, Sinnoh and Unova are awesome. I don't get why are people complaining about Unova. It has an awesome story, awesome Pokemons. And characters had to be different. Imagine if they stuck Ash with Brock and Misty to the end. It would be boring.

4. Basilikos Moving on with life

I've never liked the pokemon anime all that much TBH.

5. Jon Snow Well-Known Member

I'm currently watching from the very beginning. Every episode I think to myself:

God I wish this was about Red instead

6. BringerOfChaos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spoiler:

7. Jon Snow Well-Known Member

That Blue/Gary panel gets me every time :lmao

8. BringerOfChaos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anyway Dawn is confirmed to make a long appearance in Pokemon rival destinies continued.

So far she is confirmed to be in 4 episodes.

9. Killer Zylos Wolf Zetsu > All

Watched all series(not all episodes, there's over 700...), enjoyed them all.

10. Stunna Fix your hearts or die Retired Staff

Stopped watching consistently early Sinnoh. Stopped watching period mid-Sinnoh.

11. Blazing CobaltX Yuri Trainer on Fire

Even with all the hate it gets, I liked all seasons, even the newest one. I always find myself enjoying it, no matter how much it gets milked out. Of course; nothing can get close to that feeling the first seasons gave me(Hoenn counted, Battle Frontier didn't gave me feels), but I still like it and if they wouldn't air it here on such idiotic times, I'd still be watching it die hard.

Due to those stupid timetables, I had to stop around Sinnoh, I didn't really like Battle Frontier so I didn't really follow it, but I did follow Sinnoh for a while. Dang, I really miss watching the anime. :(

12. Wicked Banned

If it's on TV I'll watch it but no way dl the show. Too many episodes. The plot has always been the same.

13. Bioness In the Wired

All I hear from the OP is nostalgic bullshit whining.

You like the older series better because you were a kid when you saw it, the newer series has much better quality of animation, battles, and story plot, but since it doesn't include Misty, Brock, and the "original" 150 Pokemon you call it shit.

14. Hydro Spiral From the Realm of Light

Animation quality amped up, it was plot-driven right from the start, good reoccurring villains & rivals, and Ash got to show how far he'd come as trainer in the end.

If we wanna go by achievements, Ash actually has a-lot more going for him than Red at this point :maybe:gun

15. BringerOfChaos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think I was even born when it came out :giogio

And as you can see I liked all the series except Orange Island and Unova. Read the OP.

16. Bioness In the Wired

Also jesus christ you make me feel old...that means you were what 11 when you joined?

17. BringerOfChaos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I was young my older siblings had the game and a shit load of pokemon cards. And there were repeats on the TV. So when I was around 4 or 5[I would say around 2004] I was a fan. How ever not die hard and my knowledge was limited.

When it came to me and the anime all I could watch was repeats and catch a few episodes of advanced once and a while. Until I was 10[2009] and I had a laptop. And I literally watched all the series in the span of 3 months. I watched every single episode. As good of a show it was...trust me it was very repetitive and that made it hard to watch.

So by then I had full knowledge on the pokemon anime. Then came diamond and pearl a series I loved. I never missed a episode and if I did I would go on youtube and watch it. I was a anime fanboy. And I eventually got the game pearl. In the gap between diamond and pearl and black and white[I was 12] I again re watched the whole series. This was because when I was 10 I was not as logical as I was then so I re watched it to get the full grasp of the series.

Then came black and white. I watched up until episode 6 and I could not take anymore. It was truly terrible. I quit the anime forever.

18. Bioness In the Wired

What no fuck the Pokemon series, I'm talking about you being 13 on this forum. What the fuck, don't you have parents?

19. Sephiroth Titan

The animation was so much better in the older series. :(

20. Kazekage Gaara Kazekage

Black and White is far from horrible. As Bioness said, it has great Animation, awesome story, awesome characters. I liked it more then first gen. But of course everyone has they're opinion.:D

21. Sunrider Angry Negro

I think I stopped watching at the end of Johto, when Ash finally beat Gary at the Silver conference, maybe for a few episodes after. Scratch that, I stopped shortly after the beginning of Diamond and Pearl, when he got his ass whipped by Paul... a fucking rookie trainer.

Frankly, the series topped out at the Orange Islands for me; the series just came off the bitchin' Mewtwo Strikes Back (and the also pretty good Power of One), his lackluster showing at Indigo League, and even though he ditched Pidgeot and Butterfree (two of his most loyal), Ash more or less acted like he knew what the hell he was doing going through the Orange Crew. That final match against Drake was quite simply amazing, I didn't often get that same enjoyment form other fights in the series.

I just couldn't take another round of Ash trading off/releasing his mightiest Pok?mon, only to act like a complete newbie in every new region. I still watched the movies, though every time, I wished I'd skipped them (though I still keep watching them).

22. BringerOfChaos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ah yes I was 11 when I joined the forum. When I started I was obnoxious and hated for my behavior and my opinions and my bad grammar. I was negged so much[....the OBD...a horrid time] Then I matured a lot[In the KC and OOC lounge] and made lots of edit threads and fixed my grammar and my rep went up and I was more..tolerable.

Yes I have parents. And so what if im 13? I am perfectly capable of being on a Forum filled with people way older. I can guarantee you im not the only 13 year old here. Besides the only sections I visit is

NB[Occasionally]
    KL[Sometimes]
    KT[Sometimes]
    KT[Konoha theater. I spend a lot of time there.]
    KC[Occasionally]
    Pokemon[I recently have been visiting every day]
    OBD[Rarely]
    OOC[Most of the time]
    RP[Most of the time]
    Konoha Court[Once every 4 days or so]
    Legend of Korra section[Recently been visiting every day]

So I don't see whats the problem.

23. Death-kun Well-Known Member

I stopped watching after Johto because I just didn't really care to watch it anymore, though I heard details about characters and the plot and whatnot from other seasons from other people.

24. Hydro Spiral From the Realm of Light

Nah, that's Trip in the newest series lol :maybe

We found out a bit later into D&P that Paul had been through the Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn regions just like had Ash at the time.

That rivalry actually made for some pretty cool battles too...

25. Gene ? ロ?

Yeah, Unova is awesome. Watched it from start to finish (season 1) and I loved it. Keep in mind that it's still Pokemon and it still sticks to certain tropes and what not, but for me it felt like a true and refreshing restart.

Team Rocket is no longer recurring characters and when they do appear they're serious characters, Satoshi is catching more than 5 Pokemon in his team (finally), the majority of filler episodes are genuinely enjoyable and decently written. Iris and Dent aren't the most memorable supporting cast but they do a decent job (hearing Aoi Yuuki and Miyano Mamoru helps).

The eighth gym battle just aired and I'm really looking forward to season 2 with Hikari and Shirona returning and the Pokemon World Tournament arc.

26. Stunna Fix your hearts or die Retired Staff

World Tournament arc? Is that what I think it is?

27. Gene ? ロ?

Nobody knows the exact details yet because it was just revealed through a promotional trailer of season 2 (which just started airing), but basically it looks like it's a World Tournament where even Champions and the Elite 4 can participate. Shirona has been confirmed to be participating along with a Unova Elite 4 trainer.

28. Stunna Fix your hearts or die Retired Staff

Oshi-, if they use this as an opportunity to bring back rivals, companions, and characters from old seasons to partake in a big battle royale then I'm tuning in. I'd even watch all of Unova to catch-up for that.

29. Hydro Spiral From the Realm of Light

^Well, we know that Dawn is older char coming back :hmm

And if the intro theme isn't a complete tease, then Ash's older Pokemon will be joining in as well :maybe

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  30. Gene ? ロ?

Yeah, I'm excited because it definitely has potential. Season 1 has been making good use of the Unova recurring characters at the very least, and I'm hoping the writers won't be afraid to grab recurring characters from past sagas. Would especially love to see Shinji make a return.

Season 2 promo: