1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

4. Voting for Graphic of the Week 50 -- Contest Central Banner is live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Voting for Photograph of the Week 54 -- Landscapes is also live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Entries for Graphic of the Week 51 -- Dragon Avatars are open! Click here to check it out!

Entries for Photograph of the Week 55 -- Freestyle are open! Click here to check it out!

-- Contest Central Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Popularity poll.

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Ye Xiu, Nov 22, 2018.

?

1. Bakugou

2. Deku

3. Shouto

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ~VK~ The King

Deku's first mistake was not trying to beat the shit outta bakugou the second he called him "deku".

That's a make or break situation as a kid. You either assert yourself and take no bullshit from these niggas or risk letting everyone walk over you forever.

2. ~VK~ The King

His other mistake was when bakugou told him to kill himself and threw away his shitty notebook he should have taken a baseball bat catch an unaware bakugou off guard and break his kneecaps.

Or throw a brick when he's not looking or whatever nigga do something. Shit is embarrasssing.

3. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

4. Yak on a Forums Break

5. Tayimus Number One

@Ye Xiu, what can I say? She was weird.

6. Haruka Katana

All other polls aside, Bakugou still win the polls even in NF :lbj

7. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Don't think that you're the only one here who had that experience. As far as bullying is concerned, I view it as any behavior intended to intimidate, threaten and destroy self esteem. Definition: Bullying is an intentional behavior that hurts, harms, or humiliates a student, either physically or emotionally, and can happen while at school, in the community, or online. Those bullying often have more social or physical “power,” while those targeted have difficulty stopping the behavior.

Teasing is what we see between Bakugo and the UA students who are his friends. It's done in a joking, non-hostile tone and not as an attack. Teasing becomes bullying when there is a pointed
    intent to upset the one being 'teased' and the behavior is repeated even though it is obvious that this hurts the one being singled out. There was nothing friendly in the way Bakugo repeatedly humiliated Deku.

Confrontation isn't always an option when one has been mentally beaten down. Not to mention that Bakugo was larger than Deku and the leader of their group (which encouraged the others to join in on the 'fun').

Just because 'kids do that shit all the time' doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Sounds like you had a Tsundere problem similar to that of 'Hey Arnold'. :hehee
    Completely different situation. :quite

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  8. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

9. Tayimus Number One

WTF? How'd you come to that conclusion?

Pretty broad definition that ironically leaves out a real bully who assaults someone.

Just a note, if you quote an actual definition, you should state where you got it from. I love that the definition sneaks the "online" portion in there. Sounds like a Google definition. I still remember when people tried to get "Online bullying" to become a thing, but it didn't really catch on because of how illogical it is (just ignore the damn thing, you are entirely in control of what you see). So then it became "Online Harassment," which got a better response but not quite hat some people wanted. So now it's just labeled "Harassment," which is a crime, and now people react.

Fucking Hell, this cultural misattribution of words. Using them like magic spells. :catskully

Anyhoo, again, I acknowledge that the current interpretation of the word has changed. I'm still stuck in the 90s, when actual bullies roamed, and we knew how to deal with them (VK states it perfectly). Not this "protect the chillen" way of thinking, so we attach stronger words onto actions in order to get a reaction.

Apologies, I thought that I had also put being "picked on". Seems I edited that out by accident. I keep posting when I'm sleepy. :catskully

You are correct that Bakugou's treatment cannot be described as teasing. But what is the appropriate response to him, that was my question.

Excuse me? Deku, though "mentally beat down," stood up for another kid against Bakugou and two to three other kids. Probably cause Bakugou's behavior had finally descended into violence, but whatever. Are you seriously gonna sit there and insinuate that Deku might not have been able to do that--when he did it in the end? Come now...

That even ignores that one doesn't actually have to beat a bully up. All the kid has to do is make it less worth their time/energy to bully them. Every time the bully tries something, the kid should fight, regardless if they get beat up. Every single time. If that happens, the bully WILL move on to a more convenient target. Confrontation is ALWAYS an option, otherwise the kid can become a punching bag for EVERYONE. Because EVERYONE is trying not to be the bottom of the social pecking order.

But again, simply breaking off from Bakugou's group would have been the correct response to Bakugou's behavior. Deku did not do this. He believed that being "picked on" by the others was worth it to bask in Bakugou's glory. Deku was entirely in control of his own situation. A bullied kid is certainly not.

Nowhere did I even insinuate that it's right or acceptable. But I will argue that the behavior is natural and necessary. It's part of growth. One HAS to deal with others that act like this. Kids have to learn to stand up for themselves, how to respond to certain situations. Behavior like Bakugou exhibits forces kids to do that. Without these interactions, when real conflict comes around, no one knows how to deal with it.

Funnily enough, Helga reminded me emphatically of the girl. And yeah, the girl was definitely a tsundere. She randomly gave me a compliment one day, but I laughed in her face... She never interacted with me again. Kinda fucked up on my part. :catskully

You say that now... :Mshad

10. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Just sayin'--I went through this crap many years ago, so I know bullying all too well, but from the female angle. Back in those days girls did not throw down like boys as they do now (which I find bizarre)--it was all verbal and psychological attacks and they were every bit as devastating as a punch in the nose after school. In that way I can completely relate to Izuku's plight.

The difference is that he still wanted to be a part of that little gang of kids that he had grown up and been friends with up to that point. I had never initially been a part of the 'in crowd' and perhaps that connection played a part in Izuku's willingness to take the abuse.

Don't you consider that assaulting someone is intimidating, threatening and destructive to the self esteem of the victim? It is simply all of those things taken to the extreme.

It's actually from a site focusing on bullying in school settings and it bespeaks my viewpoint exactly.

I'm stuck back in the 1960s and as a female the bullying of choice at that time was all verbal attacks that hounded one throughout the day. School would have been a much better experience had there been more of a 'protect the chillen' attitude back then.

Yeah, I throw in the towel late in the evening and take things back up in the am when I'm fresh! :laugh

That's the thing about Deku--he is always more likely to act on another's behave rather than his own. It's like all of his usual caution melts away when he goes into hero mode for someone else.

Physical confrontations are something I never experienced (and definitely more of a male bully scenario--all that darned testosterone!) so I'll take your word on that. If so, this was a lesson Izuku should have noted when he saw Bakugo stand up to those older boys--but for all of his courage in the face those harming others, Deku was at his core a non-confrontational, almost timid kid who backed away rather than defend himself.

Izuku had been friends with these kids through preschool. He was a part of the group and he tolerated the abuse to remain with them. However, he doesn't appear to be a part of Baku's gang by the time he reached middle school, even though he still respected and admired Bakugo's power.

I do agree that there will always be bullies, but I don't find them necessary.

Nah, I'd have done the same thing. Tsunderes are for fiction--who needs that irl!

Oh no! In spite of all the yaoi pairing stuff out there I see both Deku and Bakugo as staunchly hetero. Baku would probably blows someone's head off if he saw them sketching one of those fan arts! :catfish

11. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

This Poll is not accurate either because some of the accounts who voted could be dupes created a long time ago by select few Bakugo fans precisely for this moment :ufdup

12. Tayimus Number One

No, you're not "just saying" . You made a claim about what I was thinking. I want to know how you came to that decision. What in my comment lead you to think I was thinking that I alone had that experience?

Ok. All beside my question.

That's Deku's fault.

Again, that's Deku's problem.

I do. The difference here from what you said before is that you stuck "intent" in there. Assault doesn't necessarily have to be intending to hurt the victim's "self-esteem". That's the nuance that you missed in your previous statement.

Then he should have backed away from that group entirely.

I will never excuse that Deku was entirely in control of his situation. Bakugou doesn't have to be friends with him. Bakugou doesn't even have to be nice to him. If Deku didn't like the jokes that Bakugou made at his expense, he could have left that group and find other friends. Deku wanted to hang around Bakugou, and Bakugou didn't like him. Hence you have the clash.

What the Hell is this, was Bakugou and his cronies the only kids in the class? No, of course not. Deku could have simply made friends with someone else in the class. Deku wanted to be around Bakugou. Shit, we don't even have an excuse like Inko and Mitsuki were friends, and Deku and Bakugou were forced to be together. Again, Deku's hardship was entirely within his control.

I already stated that Bakugou's bullying of Deku started after Deku finally stood up to him in defense of another kid. So, I'm in agreement that it was bullying in middle school.

:bookerskully

It all depends on Horikoshi. :skully

13. ~VK~ The King

Tayimus catches a major L for not publicly rejecting and destroying that yuck mouth ratchet ass stank ass girl after finding out she liked him in order to humiliate her, destroy any shred of self confidence and to ensure she lives a life full of anxiety and fear of rejection :giogio

14. Tayimus Number One

:gokuskully

Maybe, but I've rarely been that vindictive in my life, and never in my childhood.

15. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Your comment sounded to me like you thought I responded without being able to personally relate to the situation of being bullied. :catshrugNo malice intended.

If it wouldn't be Deku, Baku would be abusing someone else. Bakugo and his attitude is the real problem and you won't convince me otherwise. :mlpshrug

Now you're just nitpicking. :foxpfft

Deku did move away from Bakugo and his gang by the time they had reached middle school. From what we've been shown of their childhood thus far he may well have made the break not long after those preschool years. As a little four year to five year old boy he still wanted to be accepted by his established group of friends.

I think that's a pretty simplistic (and hardly serious) view of how bullies come into power. It seems that nowadays bullies and their unkind conduct are celebrated as often as not. Even within this fandom people exult in Bakugo's bad behavior. I look forward to seeing him learn to temper his conduct, find his compassion and become the hero he truly wants to be.

16. Tayimus Number One

I don't care whether there was malice in it. I get called all types of shit on here, I don't bat an eyelash. No, I care whether there was logic in your statement. And I don't see any. You were informing me that "Words can hurt," after I had just stated that I was in a similar situation as Deku. I pointed out how you had apparently forgetten that I would of course know that words hurt. How in the world does my pointing out what you ACTUALLY DID turn into me thinking that I'm the only one that ever experienced something like that? Where is the logic in your conclusion?

Deku was in the unique position to end his treatment whenever he wanted. No one else would have that. I'm not absolving Bakugou of his actions, I hope my criticisms of him over the years would prove that, but that doesn't mean that Deku couldn't and shouldn't have done something to end his unhappiness.

Now you're just unable to admit when I have a point. :dotell

Why do you think that I do not know this? I specifically said this--
    Like...come on. Come ON.

Wtf? The break was shown. It's when Deku got jumped by Bakugou and his cronies. Are you trying to tell me that Deku still wanted to be friends after that?

And yet, is it incorrect? :Mshad

I disagree. I see people not knowing what a bully is, and incorrectly labeling behavior like assertiveness as bullying. Can't stand up for yourself nowadays without being called a bully. And we can switch out bully for a number of other words that have been corrupted. But that's for a more serious site...

Sorry, I don't see anyone, not even VK, exulting Bakugou's behavior at the start of the series, which is what we're actually talking about. The staunch defense of Bakugou started around the start of Bakugou's character development, well into Yuuei.

However, generally, people find entertainment in Bakugou's disregard for authority or decorum, not necessarily his treatment of others. They live through him because he seems to be free to do what he wants. Something that many people don't have, be for one reason or another. For some, that overshadows his treatment of others, unfortunately.

And again, luckily you're discussing this with me, someone who's spoken out against Bakugou liberally. I still won't call how Bakugou behaved as a small kid to be "bullying". Nothing you have said has convinced me, if that was your aim. We've just gone further into our interpretations of actions. Which as I said much earlier, "You and I have vastly different definitions of bullying".

Alhough, a few things that I missed earlier...
    The conversation should really have stopped here as the explanation for our vastly different interpretations of bullying, despite our similar experiences, might be because of the fundamental differences between males and females. Whereas you see Deku was bullied and needed to be protected, I see that he was "picked on" because he wasn't wanted and he should have just left. You're looking at things from a more emotional standpoint (a more female view of things), whereas I'm looking at it from a more logical one (a more male one). It's similar to how you and I see ourselves. You see yourself as someone that needed protecting as a child from other children, and I see myself as someone that should have learned how to ignore earlier (or learned some good comebacks) in order to protect themselves. We're both projecting onto Deku, incidentally.

I'm interested in seeing how other men and women view this topic, and whether my theory extends to others. I might make a thread about it. :hmm

17. HekonoHero Banned

Still think that I'm this linkmyboy huh? Kay.

18. Tayimus Number One

Well, you and he have the odd habit of answering questions directed at the other... People have noticed.

19. Haruka Katana

well, you weren't denying it :kanyeshrug and you answered one of tayimus questions directed at Linkmahboy.

20. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

To me it seemed that you were downplaying the hurt that verbal attacks ('teasing') cause, indicating that verbal abuse was not as hurtful as physical confrontations. That is all. You experienced the pain of such attacks but still did not equate it with bullying. Obviously (perhaps because of gender differences) you equate a beat down with bullying, while I see any attack on another, verbal or physical that is intent on doing harm. We likely will never agree on this, so I end it here.
    Since it's pretty certain that Deku did indeed split from Bakugo long before we see them in middle school, I'd say that he did just that. Unfortunately, he still had to share space with Baku in school and was still subject to attacks--and at that time (according to the male rules of schoolyard machismo) perhaps he should have stood up to Bakugo but his self esteem was so shot that he couldn't see that as an option. I'm certainly not going to judge a fourteen year old kid for that.
    That's quite likely, but still conjecture until Hori makes it crystal clear. I'm sure that was the beginning of end though and that Izuku broke with his childhood gang before they reached elementary school.

I appreciate Bakugo's character, but I'm not about to claim him to be the be all, end all, greatest thing since sliced bread. I guess that exalting of his character, including his less than admirable traits, just makes no sense to me.
    As I've said before, no kidding!

Actually, I didn't see myself as needing protecting--back in my day no one paid attention to bullying behavior in school, so being protected was not in the cards. My goal was to survive until I got out of school and that's just what I did--and once I was out of that fishbowl and out in the real world I realized just how unimportant those assholes were to life in the real world and never looked back.

An interesting subject--though things have changed greatly since I was in school. Nowadays girls are as likely to throw down as guys. Not to mention that with technology as it is kids are stalked outside of school by their bullies and even kill themselves over it. Don't recall that ever happening back in my day.

21. Ye Xiu Admanistrator

Deku deserved it Kappa

22. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

I enjoy their background because Deku is kind of a sociopath, he didnt care about Bakugo's feelings or thoughts he just saw him as someone that could need help and someone from whom he could take strength.

Sort of like how he steals techniques from others, using them as stepping stones to the number 1 hero spot.

23. Tayimus Number One

WTF? This is an explanation for why you said "Words can hurt," not for why you thought that I thought I was the only one to have gone through a class laughing at them. C'mon, my question is quite direct, stop beating around the bush.

You can end it here, but I have to point out how you made a ludicrous claim, and when pushed for an explanation, you deliberately try to confuse me. Like damn. Admit when you are completely wrong.

I'm have to skip the middle of your post because, well, the end is the most important, and it was making the entire post too long. Just know that I did this through out most of the middle--
    :whatthe

You misunderstood. I don't know how you misunderstood, but you do. I was talking about what you think NOW as an adult looking back on yourself as a child. Not what you thought as a child. I don't understand how you misunderstood me, when I was referring to what you stated here--
    I honestly don't understand how you got confused... Anyway, moving on.

Exactly. That is exactly it. I'm glad I refrained from bringing this up at the beginning and took my time with this discussion, so we'd come to answer organically (I tend to skip to the logical end). You eventually learned exactly what I said I wish I learned much earlier, that words only hurt so much when we give people power to do so. This is something that every child needs to learn to become a functional adult, to be able to engage with others on difficult issues. I know you already know this, but I'm stating for the sake of thoroughness.

I refrained from this point because I didn't want to seem like I was invalidating anyone's experience, anyone's pain. But it's a fact that that pain only existed because you and I valued what others said. Likewise, Deku valued what Bakugou said. Deku couldn't control what Bakugou says, I couldn't control what that girl said about me back then, you couldn't control what those girls said about you way back when. BUT we could learn not to give them so much influence over us. That's OUR power. And a bully, a real physical one, bypassing that inner fortitude ENTIRELY. That's why I think a physical bully is more dangerous. While words and feelings are subjective, the physical world is not. You could be as mentally tough as you want, you're still gonna get your ass kicked.

And just to be clear, I'm not expecting a four-year-old to understand these concepts (though Deku has yoyo-ing intelligence and understood the world isn't fair). But understanding the concept is not necessary to leave Bakugou when he was hurting him verbally. I mean, for example, since you hold emotional and physical pain on the same level, say a kid burns their hand on a hot stove. You don't expect that kid to do that again, right? If they do, something is clearly wrong with the kid, right? Then why do you not call out Deku for staying by Bakugou's side even one day after Bakugou hurt his feelings? Nothing in the story explains this sufficiently. We're told Deku admired "Kacchan" because he was the closest example of what he thought of All Might. And that makes shit sense when analyzed.

The girls act like boys, and the boys act like girls. How's that for "progress"?! :edu

Well, that is one interpretation that I've not seen before...

24. ~VK~ The King

Nah nice try but as bakugou's #1 fan and dickrider deku cares greatly about bakugou's thoughts and opinions. Even more so than all might's! :mjlol

Sociopath is one discription. Unoriginal and uncreative are another ones. :hisoka

25. ~VK~ The King

Tfw i'll always be in deku's shadow when it comes to fanboying bakugou. Feelsbadman :wow

26. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Obviously you completely misunderstand me and I completely misunderstand you, so yes I'm ending it here. I was never making a personal attack and I'm sorry if you got that impression. :catsad
    :oldshrug

And what about bullies? In my experience a bullies never change their stripes: Once a bully, always a bully. They seldom learn the lessons of empathy and compassion that I think Hori will teach Baku in MHA.

Physically more dangerous, yes. But battering a soul can be just as detrimental as busting a head. Self esteem can be so beat down that there is no fighting back (especially when it's started at a young age, like Izuku). That's when kids jump off buildings or hang themselves (remember when Bakugo told Izuku to kill himself? This happens irl and kids comply).

Let's blame it on additives in our food! :meowfood

27. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

I think thats what anoyed Bakugo so much.

Even if theres no ill will on Deku's part lol

Yes he does but is just about all things related to being a hero, things that he could use.

He sees Bakugo as a normal person that he can get techniques from, the moment Katsuki loses or lags behind he would lose interest.

Thats why I always said their rivalry is more like Goku and Vegeta than it is Naruto and Sasuke.

28. ~VK~ The King

in no way has deku ever thought of bakugou as a normal person. stop this fanfiction. :lmao

what do you even take deku for? he's no fair weather fan! deku cheerleads bakugou even when bakugou is beating his ass. that's true devotion. #1 baku fan. this niqqa ain't ever losing interest in any situation stop fooling yourself :mjlol

29. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

He does.

Thats why he went to help him that day in the pond mindfucking Bakugo in the process. Nobody elses did because they believed he was strong and that was logical for Katsuki, Deku didnt do that he just saw him as a friend in trouble.

30. ~VK~ The King

He helped him in the pond because his naive ass actually thought he was bakugou's friend :kobeha

It's one of those situations where the loser day dreams about being best friends with the person they admire the most and then starts to delude themselves that maybe they really are friends. Sad. sigh.

Regardless he has always looked up to bakugou in a pretty masochistic stalker like way. Ain't no mental gymnastics about his intentions going to change that bro. Sorry :kobe