1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

6. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Portable Naruto Manga Scans?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by dyntryx, Nov 22, 2005.

1. dyntryx New Member

I've developed a program that can take scanlations* of manga and break them into individual frames as best as possible. The program then saves each individual frame to it's own picture. The purpose of the program is essentially to allow someone to take their manga and put it onto a portable media player. Take the iPod for example. The screen size is 320x240. If you put a page from a manga on that, there's no way you can read it. However, with my program, you can split a page into frames and resize/crop to get a perfect fit on the screen with nice readability.

Basically, I thought this was an interesting and unique idea and I wanted some feedback. Is anyone interested in using something like this? Is it worth $5-$10? Or, on the other hand, is this a horrible idea? Maybe you think it's not worth a dime. I just want the honest opinion of anyone who would like to take the time to reply. You can get some samples of what the program does here: here...** The samples provide the original images along with the slices that were created for the iPod in specific. I'd suggest viewing the samples before replying just so you can better understand how the program works and what it does exactly, since it's hard to put into words.*** I also just added some extra samples of how certain issues are currently handled since I know some people have been wondering.

Also, for those who are wondering: No, the iPod does not allow you to zoom or move right/left/up/down on an image. That is why this program is useful. I don't know about other portable players, but I do know this program could be modified to work for them. The idea is to turn a simple photo gallery on a unit into a chapter, volume, or even a complete series of a manga ready to be read wherever you go. Could be useful on trips, in a boring classroom, or any other place where you're expecting to wait with nothing to do for extended amounts of time.

Another thing I recently addressed was that some people didn't fully understand how it would be compatible with other units. The program takes screen size into account when making the images, and after a little more coding should be able to load/export images in the jpeg, tiff, gif, png, and bitmap format. So, any player that can view these formats should be useable.

That said, I'm eager to hear everyone's response. Have at it. :)

*scanlations: When a person or group of persons scans a manga's pages, translates the Japanese to English, and generally distributes the result through use or an IRC channel or website or both.

**I've provided an example of a nicely framed page that turned out well, as well as a cover which has no frames, and another framed page that wasn't correctly sliced due to code I haven't written yet. These should be sufficient for the understanding of what the pages will look like on your media player. You can use these to get the general idea of what the program does, where it's flawed, etc. These samples were produced for the iPod, which has a screen resolution of 320x240. Understand that results will vary according to screen size.

***If there is a problem in understanding, I'd be happy to write more on this subject and provide more examples and even diagrams to help explain. Although I think it should be relatively clear; but since I developed it, of course I understand, so I may be wrong. You guys tell me. ;D

Tags:
  2. Chi Technical knockout

But it's kinda hard to cath what's happening by viewing picture that way..
    And i don't think it's worth 5$-10$ bucks..
    I'm personaly is programmer in some way (working on DELPHI and know few script languages), and on my (non-professional) view this programm is not VERY difficult to write. Of course i might be mistaken, and there is more to it.

Ok.. If it was me, i wouldn't buy it.

3. Shiron BOING!!!

Same here, but excellent idea. I wouldn't buy it, because I would just use the programs already on my computer, which are MS Paint, MS Paint.NET, Jasc Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photshop, and MS Office Picture Manager, to just crop the frames and save them as new pictures (just crop one frame, save, undo the crop, and repeat until you're done). It might be more time-consuming, but at least it's free that way.

But in any case, thanks for the idea (I can't believe I didn't think of something so simple as cropping the pics sooner) . Cropping the pages into 1-2 frame images would make them easier to navigate on my handheld PC (which can zoom in/scroll, but on such a small screen, that's alot of scrolling for a full page) than just putting the whole pages on there.

But just one thing: what about the occasional full and double pages (that are all one frame)? This may work well for most pages, but if the page is only one frame, it doesn't do that much good (especially when there's alot happening on that page).

Just my thoughts. :amuse

Edit: I checked your soloution for the whole page issue and I decided that I just don't like that. The only way to get the effect of the page is to know what it looks like ahead of time or you have to be able to put the pieces together into your mind. Simply put, if a page isn't broken up into frames, then it most likely isn't meant to be, and it doesn't look good/give the same feeling when it is. I'm fine with breaking up frames and such, but not actual full pages that have no frames. It was a good idea, but it just doesn't work, at least IMO.

4. dyntryx New Member

Thank you guys for the replies! I really do need to know what everyone thinks so I can fully manage this project and distribute it if people want it. I think since it's so hard to allow this program to reach perfection, I'll probably do a release and just ask for donations if anyone wants to help me go to college... Anyway, as for the pages without frames: Yes, it's pretty much impossible to handle them correctly. But, if you have a unit with a larger screen, this isn't as big of an issue. Concerning double-pages, they'll probably be best handled the same as unframed pages. Simply go directly across and then down until you reach the end of the page(s). What I was thinking is that I could have the program automate slicing up the images and then have a manual editor to correct the ones that don't come out right.

Honestly, the point of the program is to allow you to put manga on a portable hardware unit that supports pictures. It can't really do much about how small the unit is you want to put the manga on. So, I just thought it was best to simply crop larger images in that way, since I can't really do anything else. (unless you guys know of a way)

As for how easy it was to write... you'd be surprised. There's been a lot of work involved in breaking up those frames and putting them into the correct order. Most of the cropping, etc wasn't too hard. But, the frames... wow were they a pain. So, I suppose after results on many forums I'll probably do a beta release, free to the public and simply request donations for those kind souls who want to help me.

Finally, I'm still listening for any more opinions, comments, ideas, etc. If anyone has absolutely anything to say about how it could be done, what you like/dislike, questions, or even additions to the software, please let me know! Thanks again guys for your comments and I hope you'll stick around to see how things go. :p

5. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

It's a very good idea, it may sell better in Japan but outside it I don't think manga is that large of a market for an electronic product to be designed for it.

6. Shiron BOING!!!

It could also be used for American comics (although I think they have a smaller fanbase than they used to).

7. dyntryx New Member

Yeah, I actually thought of that in advance. I've already added a combobox to switch between "manga" and "comics". Although, I've yet to code the part that outputs the pictures in the correct viewing order for "comics". Won't be too hard, though; it'll just take a little rethinking. I'm still looking for any comments. I know this gets redundant, but I just need to keep reminding people until I get a lot of opinions. :p

Arigatou minna! You've been helpful thus far and I hope you will continue to be supportive. Expect a beta relatively soon. I'll let you guys know when it's out. Then everyone can test it and we'll just see how it goes. Maybe it'll go great, maybe not. Either way, I'll produce the thing just in case it becomes useful to some people. Thanks again! :amuse

8. Kaki Condensed hits harder

It seems like a realy cool thing, but it has not realy found its purpos....