1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Time Jump?

Discussion in 'Ohara Library' started by Great Potato, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Great Potato Well-Known Member

Now that the time-time fruit is officially a thing in the series and not limited to one time use do you think this is something we can see Luffy and potentially the crew on the receiving end of?

Perhaps after the war with Kaido the crew ends up in a tight spot and need to be sent forward a few years in order to save them, with Luffy marked as a target for Im's great purge that gives us a high enough caliber threat that would warrent sending Luffy away like that. It would also allow Oda the chance to completely shake up the status quo as we know it, have us sent to a world where the Marines are running the show in the new World, Eustass Kid is a Yonkou level threat, Cobra is dead with Vivi somewhere in hiding, the Revolutionaries grown strong enough force to feasibly tackle the Government, Blackbeard recognized as the new World's Strongest Man, and so forth.

I'm got to thinking about the fruit and started thinking there could be some real merit to sending him forward. The fallout of the Kaido war is going to be one that turns the World on its head, but instead of going through the gradual process of change we skip forward and jump right into this new chaotic world that's set up for us. It's similar to what happened after Marineford, having us step away from the plot for two years so that we can step back in and get straight back into a story where all of the crazy ramifications of the war have happened and we now deal with the consequences. Also, it would allow some of the characters who have been left in the dust to play catch up to Luffy and narrow the massive gap that's been created. At this rate Coby is still a long long ways from even being able to grab an Admirals attention, Smoker's looking like a big jobber, and even some of the more prominent Worst Gen like Law have stopped looking like true peers to the guy. I'm predicting this could be the route we take after this arc to really shake up the manga and give it some new life.

At the end of the day I don't think the Wano Samurai's story as we've seen it so far was one that truly required time travel in order to be told, it seems like it was mainly something that was good excuse to introduce the concept of the time-fruit for a more important use further on.

Tags:
  2. White Rabbit Yumi Carrotoid

I think there's a possibility that Luffy gets sent forward in time after the war with Kaido. The King of the Hill will have been taken down and it would be a good time for Oda to just jump us ahead into the fallout similar to what we got after the Marineford War.

4. Edward Teach Well-Known Member

Literal time skip. Maybe. I dont think Luffy would be ok with it though. He wont allow it.

Everyone he cares for will be in danger when hes gone

5. Fel1x Friend of the Grummles

1) Luffy wants his full journey
    2) Oda giving up on all the fun that is going to happen? no way
    3) there is no need

6. Great Potato Well-Known Member

I guess that opens the question of whether time travel is something that even requires consent.

That said the Worst Gen will have completely shattered the gears and status quo with the collapse of Kaido and there is going to be a ton of shit going down that will flip the world upside down.

-Fujitora abolishing the Shichibukai system
    -Vegapunk making a new weapon that will make the Shichibukai obsolete
    -Potential final villain material Im aiming to initiate a grand purge on high priority targets
    -The general fallout of Kaido's collapse which will have pirates everywhere looking to scoop up his old territories and aim for an empty spot on the throne in a similar manner to Whitebeard's territories

On top of that the expectations of certain characters who have been trailing behind

-Coby is aiming to become Admiral EoS yet currently isn't even in the running for Vice Admiral
    -Smoker who people had expectations for being future Admiral material and the Garp of this generation is now looking like a clown whose unfit to even give Luffy a good warmup.
    -Kid is widely speculated to be future Yonkou status by EoS yet is currently only worthy of serving as a punching bag for one of them
    -Law is looking more like a cheerleader for Strawhat then the once respectable force that could stand shoulder to shoulder with him
    -Blackbeard is looking hot right now but still needs to rise up and clutch that World's Strongest Man status for endgame and complete that quest for power his crew is on

Now unless Oda wants these characters to be remembered as massive disappointments he needs a way to take them from here to there without making them feel like cheap rubberbanding AI somehow able to keep up with Luffy's pace of growth, and a good solution to that is just put Luffy in stasis for a while and let others climb the ladder a bit on there own. Allows the world to get to where it needs to be and the characters to get to the level they need to be at to fulfill their desired roles.

It's effectively how he handled the fallout of the last game changing war, remove Luffy from the equation for a year or two and then drop him back into some crazy new world where Akainu is fleet admiral, Blackbeard is Yonkou, Kuzan is rogue, new Shichibukai and Admirals in town, and so forth.

7. Typhon "The Roaring Tide"

I don't like the thought, but that's probably because it reminds me so much of the plot line in Fairy tail. While I've no doubts Oda would handle it better, you're still opening a can of worms here.

I also feel like we still have too many unknowns to just change the landscape like that

8. HaxHax  Galatians 4:16

Luffy: I need to jump a year into the future so my crew can catch up

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Edward Teach Well-Known Member

It doesnt require consent. We saw that with kinemon and the gang. But that's not the point.

10. Great Potato Well-Known Member

Well I'm assuming in the event that it happens that they'd make a scenario where things fit. Maybe Luffy is in comatose because the fight with Kaido just drained that much out of him, so when Im or whatever comes knocking then the crew agrees that he should be sent forward, since he's the only head in the crew highlighted as a big target.

11. Amatérasu’s Son Redbeard

United States
    What? Captain Koby is getting very impressive very fast. His Kenbunshoku is closer to Luffy now, than Luffy at the start of the New World. Considering his progression he might be arriving at VA level in six months in series. He's already stood against Law in legendary fashion.

Physically impossible. They all have bounties and Robin in particular is ultra high value. If Luffy leaves his crew behind with Im's great purge coming with the exception of maybe Zoro, they would all be sitting ducks.

I don't like it, the crew needs fights to get stronger not time.

And there's no good in the Strawhats causing a big mess then skipping out on the consequences. In addition while it would be training time for his allies to get stronger, it also lets his enemies get stronger while stalling Luffy's progress.

12. TheOmega Real Nigga

13. White Rabbit Yumi Carrotoid

14. BlueDemon On A Mission From God

I wouldn't dismiss this theory outright, but I don't think that sending the SHs to the future at their current level is a good idea. Oda's hurrying up Luffy's progress, but what about the others? They all need to continue growing through fighting the Yonkou's.

But since Oda doesn't give a damn about power levels making any sense anymore, he might just do it.

15. TheOmega Real Nigga

Nah that would defeat the purpose of 2 years of training

16. Kevintju Maybe it's time to get a set...

How about they send everyone except the SHs 10 years into the future, so the SHs can train, travel and look for One Piece in all their leisure for the next 10 years. I'm a great story writer btw.

17. Charlotte D. Kurisu Arcade Moderator

Would be a waste throwing all the build up of the NW (Big Mom, Kaido, etc..) for new villains 10 years into the future. Oda would also need to build up everything from scratch again.

We have the villains, the main cast, and the supporting cast ready to go. I'd rather we see the climax of the current scenario than conjure up a new one.

18. Go D. Usopp Straw Hats Wanker

The problem is with this fruit's time travel you dont change at all and everything around you does, so its practically useless since the SHs will waste alot of time without honing their power while every1 around them will be much stronger.

19. cry77 Dont rustle my Jimmies.

I believe that was OP's point. It would make old rivals relevant again.

20. MYJC Cunning Linguist

Nah, there won't be any more timeskips other than maybe an epilogue at the end.

Not only would doing that be bad for the story, but it would be counterproductive as far as the crew's goals go.