1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dragon Ball Drawing Contest pt2
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

7. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Metal: the 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by DemonDragonJ, Jan 14, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

This year marks the 30th anniversary of Power Metal, the fourth album by heavy metal band Pantera. That album was their first with vocalist Phil Anselmo, who replaced original vocalist Terry Glaze, who left because the other members of the band wished to pursue a heavier sound for their band. Although most followers consider Cowboys from Hell, Pantera's fifth album, to be their breakthrough album, wherein they developed their signature sound, I believe that the importance of Power Metal in music history should not be overlooked.

Pantera's first three albums, with Glaze on vocals, were very reminiscent of Kiss or Def Leppard, with some influence from Motely Crue or Van Halen, but Power Metal is much heavier, and actually displays hints of the stylistic change that was fully realized two years later on CFH. In fact, I personally believe that it sounds very similar to Judas Priest from that era, most notably with Phil Anselmo's vocals; if one were to listen to Power Metal and Painkiller by Judas Priest consecutively, one could almost think that they were performed by the same artist. I certainly believe that Pantera changing their musical style was for the better, but I still think that they could have had great success if they had kept the style that they had on Power Metal; it also is very unfortunate that Anselmo's voice degenerated from a Rob Halford-esque tenor to the gruff tone for which he is well-known.

I myself would very much like to see Pantera reissue this album to commemorate its 30th anniversary, along with their other three albums from the 80's, as those albums are as excellent as their albums from the 90's in their own way. As a side note, while Phil Anselmo left the band with great animosity between him and the other members, Terry Glaze parted on very amicable terms with his former bandmates, and remains good friends with them, so I cannot help but wonder if a reunion with him is possible, however improbable; that may not be the Pantera reunion that the fans have been desiring, but any reunion would be better than none at all.

What does everyone else say about this? What are your thoughts about Power Metal celebrating its 30th anniversary?

Tags:
  2. Mider T VM Rapist

3. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Easily their best album IMO. Don't give a shit about anything released after this gem of an album.

4. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

Seriously? In what episode was that? That is so random and weird that it is hilarious!

It is likely my favorite album of theirs, as well, but their albums after it certainly are not terrible by any standards.

5. Roƅ Suck my dick, Suit

Germany
    Damn, I thought you meant the actual genre for some reason. Was about to spam this place with Stratovarious and Heavenly stuff.

6. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List