1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

Progressivism FC

Discussion in 'General Fanclubs' started by CrazyAries, Jul 3, 2018.

1. CrazyAries Truth Hurts

I need to catch up, actually. We just had a bunch of elections this month already. September will be interesting.

2. Atlas .

Germany

Lots of good stuff on his site from skimming through a bit. He seems like he has a pretty damn good chance at taking out Cruz. I'll be rooting for him.

3. EJ idk idk idk idk idk IDK

"We don't pick winners, we make them. That means taking risks. That means our endorsement is more than a quick press release and spigot for corporate cash. Our endorsement matters to grassroots candidates because it means that despite the corrupting influence of money in politics, despite every attempt by local machine politicians to shut them out, they have a chance to do something special."

-Justice Democrats

4. CrazyAries Truth Hurts

plenty of victories have been had, progressives within the United States have outdone themselves on a large extent. keep the momentum going, and hold our governors and representatives accountable.

even with the loses that have had, a lot of these progressives are going to still receive name recognition. it doesn't mean they are necessarily going to fade away. hopefully, as the country opens up to policies that help the majority of americans, they'll still have a place to try at the local level again. if not, i'm sure they will inspire other progressives to try their chances where we definitely have to support them when we are able to.

the fact that universal healthcare, free college tuition, raising the minimum wage, and a relocation of the countries wealth is being acknowledged to a larger extent than it has been means something.

6. CrazyAries Truth Hurts

I just saw this interesting thread on Twitter in which a user made parallels between the centrists in the U.S. and the U.K. (donuts and Blairites). Before I go further, here is a bit of context:

“Donuts” are Democratic loyalists (especially Clinton loyalists). This is a type of slang on Twitter that arose because of an incident that happened on July 25, 2017. Then, Nina Turner and a bunch of protesters showed up to the Democratic National Committee’s headquarters in Washington, D.C., to present a petition (The People’s Platform) in response to the Democrats’ “A Better Deal.” The People’s Platform includes the following:
    • Medicare for All
    • Free College Tuition
    • The Raise the Wage Act for Worker’s RightsThe Automatic Voter Registration Act
    • The Equal Access to Abortion Coverage in Health Insurance (EACH Woman) Act of 2017
    • A Climate Change Bill for Renewable Energy
    • The Justice Is Not for Sale Act of 2017 (for Criminal Justice and Immigration Rights)
    • The Inclusive Prosperity Act (to Hold Wall Street Accountable)
    Instead of meeting with the protestors, the DNC had set up barricades to block them from the building. The staffers there also tried to offer the protesters donuts and water.

From then on, certain Twitter users .

Of course, the term Blairite is self-explanatory.

Now, here’s the thread:

I knew there were parallels between Jeremy Corbyn and Bernie Sanders, as well as lefties on both sides of the pound but I didn’t know about this.

7. GRIMMM The Black Empire

A new piece from Bernie Sanders with comments by Yanis Varoufakis.

8. GRIMMM The Black Empire

I've been drawing this parallel for a while now, especially amongst my political friends. It is pretty spot on to be honest. There are some other points too but it is summed up succinctly.

The thing these people don't realise is that politics won't return to their idea of "normal" if either of these people go. Politics has changed drastically and won't return to the 80/90/00s. Delusion is strong with them, and weaponising identity politics only hurts the left, and themselves, pushing more towards the right. It's pretty moronic.

9. CrazyAries Truth Hurts

This dude (Peter Douche’s Liaison) uses hashtags like #GoFundMeForAll to poke fun of the Democrats, but the truth is no laughing matter. If you go to GoFundMe’s website, it even touts that many of its users set up accounts to pay medical bills.

Yes, the American health care system is that twisted, that taxpaying citizens are asked to give more of their money to others to help them pay their medical bills. This is why we need Medicare for All.

Recently Mike Figueredo (the host of The Humanist Report) interviewed Andrea Witte, who talked about how much it would cost to fund a universal health care system in the United States.

While, yes, the costs would be shifted so that the government would be paying much more than it currently does, citizens themselves would be saving money. We already put money into health care (via emergency room visits), but more taxpayer money would be put into a universal health care system. We will even be able to save more down the line by offering preventative care.

Ultimately, this is how we should pay for Medicare for All and save money doing it:
    • Ending corporate welfare and shifting that money to health care. (In 2015, the U.S. government paid $1.539 trillion in corporate welfare.)
    • Cutting the defense budget and shifting some of that money to health care.
    • Possibly raising taxes (but Americans would save by not paying for premiums).
    • Giving the government the ability to negotiate hospital bill prices (hospitals inflate the costs for health care, so they can give HMO’s a “discount”).
    • Giving the government the ability to negotiate drug prices.
    • Like I said above, offering preventative care.
    It’s not that hard to figure out.