1. cookingcontest
    Show us your cooking skills in the 12th Cooking Contest, Meats/Fish!
    Deadline to enter is August 20th at 4 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Come enter in the Dragon Ball Drawing Contest!
    Deadline for entries is August 17 at 12 pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Psyren 2yr aniveriary thread

Discussion in 'Featured Manga of December 2009 (a)' started by Truekakarot, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Truekakarot

The 2nd anniversary of Psyren will be in the first Issue of the year. First chapter was December 3, 2007.

So what's with the lack of popularity Psyren has with the Japanese WSJ reading audience?

Tags:
  2. Felix

They are still clinging to the "Gantz Ripoff" idea

3. Hat Hair

I would argue that the story seems to be story-centric might also be something that kills interest. To be completely honest, as far as the story has gotten a lot of these characters haven't developed too much and are still fairly two dimensional. Yes, you can argue the same for Bleach or One Piece or Naruto, but those series have characters that pop more; that have more dynamic appearances and stronger personalities. When I first read Psyren, I felt like it was what Heroes could have been and, to be honest, I don't think Heroes would work too well as a shounen manga.

To an extent, the characters are just too normal, ordinary, or well-adjusted. Arguably having a really strong story can fit as an aspect of this, as Psyren has been pretty tight and handled very well, it is almost as if there have been no "wasted movements" but this has kind of degenerated characters to positions they shouldn't be in (basically compare the rest of Ageha's posse to Elmore Wood in terms of screen time). At the same time, it is nice to see an author not going the same route (and yet Oboro still manages to be helluva popular), as would be expected. Of course, some of this is speculation on a market I have no idea about and some is admittedly my own personal bias, but it's pretty much the conclusion I reached based on how little I do know.

4. ~Greed~ Advisor

If thats the case then japanese people are fucking stupid. Its nothing like gantz anymore. In the begining,yea, it was similar, But now that the story has developed, I don't know how they think it is even remotely similar.

5. Inugami

the first two post are so fucking horrible.

like gantz??... bleach and naruto better characters?..

DAMN!

6. Bergelmir

To an extent, its true. Bleach and Naruto's characters are more unique. Kubo and Kishi give each character their own unique personality traits, and then exaggurate said traits so that each character has their own flavour.

Psyren has this too (Amamiya going bipolar or the Elmore kids are examples), but the characters are just not as... flashy, I guess. So the readers will get more attached to characters from other mangas that stick out more.

That said, I do think that Psyren's characters are developed just as much as other mangas. We've got history and motive for nearly every character (except for those who are meant to be nobodies or purposefully a mystery) so far, and its all consistent.

If you ask me, Bleach/Naruto characters are better for Shonen Jump(which really just require simple flashy characters for the most part). But Psyren has better quality characters.

7. Hat Hair

To be fair, you are completely ignoring the fact that this isn't about your or me, but speculating on the reason why the primary WSJ audience (as in very few people that actually post here) are ignoring Psyren in comparison to its peers, which they are. You won't come up with a decent answer if you think about it from your own perspective because few of us are clearly part of that audience.

And, if you actually bothered to read my response you would have noticed I never said they were better, simply that they have more personalities that are thrown into the readers face more and their character designs tend to be wackier/more colorful, which means a lot when appealing to teenagers. Like I said, they "pop," they capture attention more easily just based on their superficial aspects, which counts for a lot in marketing. In comparison, Psyren is pretty low key.

@Bergelmir; like I said, these characters feel more like they belong on television, they are arguably more sophisticated than what appears in Jump, but, at the same time, you still have characters that just haven't managed to stand out too much/get too much personal attention, even though they are moving in interesting directions (i.e. Asaga and Oboro and Kabuto, to a lesser extent). It's kind of like Naruto post-skip where the rest of the rookies became relegated to the background, though it is obviously not as bad with Psyren, they just don't seem to "matter" as much as Ageha and Amamiya. I imagine that will be changing very soon, but soon enough to garner a greater audience ?

One could also argue the lack of fights, or rather the length of the fights. The characters are progressing at a more organic rate than in other shounen and it has only really started to resemble a shounen more with the most recent fight. Again, shounen fights often end up being big and loud and Psyren has been lacking that. Even when it has brought the big and loud, it has tended to be short; these fights could also be used to show-off characters that normally wouldn't be doing much otherwise, which is a benefit. I certainly didn't want to see Asaga/Oboro fighting fodder for three chapters or Amamiya fighting fodder for five, but, again, this isn't about what I want because obviously what I want is not what the main audience wants.

8. Cochise

The first 20 or so chapters mirror Gantz. Yes, Psyren has or had similarities to Gantz. That's not really a bad thing.

9. Jugger

It lacks jump Style its not like dragon ball, one piece, bleach, nartuo, toriko and so on. Also it lack Bishie like in reborn. It is just manga that Lacks all that japanese loves on the other hand it has all the thing that would make it sell a lot out side japan.

10. Inugami

So you were talking about characters good for marketing ? well I mislead .but yeah they are just like Britney Spears or Lady Gaga ... shitty but can sell to teenagers a lot.

Well it has some Miroku,Oboro,Shiner and Junas but they don't appear too much.

11. Penance

Good job on 2 years, Psyren-here's to more...